Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 200,000 POSTS  (Read 24755 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:200,000 POSTS
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »

Thanks for DD Awards nomination link, DR BEN.  Interesting.
IF a number from LESTAT is chosen to be sung at the Tony Awards....will DR JOSE play, or will the Tony Orchestra do the honors?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2006, 09:01:27 AM »

DRMATTH I seem to remember that Judy's coveralls had some insets along the seams somewhere in order to make her look thinner.....couldn't find a photo....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2006, 09:06:27 AM »

Dan - WELL was eligible for the Drama Desk when essentially the same production played off-Broadway a few years back, so it wasn't eligible now.

OIC.  Well, then, that's okay.  

Okay for WELL, then.  

All's well.  That ends WELL.

George or WELL.  

Ding, dong, dell.

WELL and GOOD.

GOOD and PLENTY.

(Don't mind me--blood sugar is running low.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »

TOD - the Community, itself, is the reason I keep coming back. And getting the daily example of a ceaseless fountain of creativity from BK, himself. I tend toward avoidance and procrastination and fear and self-doubt with my work... What our Fearless Leader accomplishes on a daily basis is so  inspiring to me. He's a shiny example. So there.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2006, 09:16:10 AM »

PS - he was ALWAYS like that. Just fearless.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »

I received MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS in the mail today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2006, 10:13:28 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

I'm really not sure who will win. Because once someone is voted off it's hard to know where their fans will vote.

But I don't think elliot or paris have a chance.  Elliot got the highest praise and was still most likely bottom 3.  And paris has continually been in the bottom.

I am disappointed that kellie was voted off.  Although i agree her confidence was way down the past 2 weeks, and that showed.

I still really hate it when someone gets voted off without being in the bottom ever. But i guess with all good singers left it's hard to know who to vote out.

I really think katharine has to be growing in popularity. If she could be top 2 after the judges' comments then that is great for her. And i'm guessing chris' fans just assumed he was safe last week (and that is why they did not vote for him).

Right now i would like katharine to win. I do like all the others though. I'm wondering if we will have a chris/katharine or a chris/taylor finale.

Anything can be rationalized if you want it deeply enough.

Last week, Chris was bottom TWO.

This week, Elliott was top THREE.

I think it really depends on how well they do from here on.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:37 AM »

I love coming here for the community....the shared experiences/information...and, of course, the fertilizer.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »

I'm taking today and tomorrow off.

I've run a few errands, and I've left my car at a local shop for a tuneup and, ack, new brakes.

I'm also in the market for new tires....so....

FJL

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2006, 10:34:40 AM »

Dan - IIRC, weren't the plays GOOD and PLENTY running at side-by-side theaters at some point?  I believe that GOOD was at the Booth while PLENTY was at the Plymouth.  I thought I had seen a picture of the two marquees side by side.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »

Hoo and Ray, my Memorial Day plans are shaping up. I'm going (with a friend) to DC to visit other friends and to see Miss Christine Baranski in Mame at the Kennedy Center! My friend in DC is a KC member so she's taking care of the tickets. We will get in probably Friday night (it's a half day at my office) and return to NY on Monday.

Ben

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »

I was surprised that La Chanze did not get a DD nomination for Color Purple. The show is problematic but she was wonderful! I'm also surprised that Stephen Lynch got a nomination for Wedding Singer (here I go again) but Laura Benati did not get noticed. He's OK but Benati deserves better.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:42 AM »

A note on last evening's "South Pacific":

It was a real joy to have the work performed with so many musicians - all of Robert Russell Bennett's orchestrations right up there - front and center.

It's sad that today's musical theatre is reluctant to really fill out a pit and let the music shine; the "Wonderful Town" revival, a welcome exception.

Would it be a fair guess that's last night's music orchestrations drew more from the film than the original show?

der Brucer

PS It was nice to hear a Nellie that sounded like she was from Small Little Rock.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:07:29 AM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2006, 11:06:38 AM »

How to make 250lbs look skinny:

Lopez twins - 7'1"

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:57 AM »

DR George, run to your library's CD sextion and check out a "Trial by Jury." It's a 45-minute piece of comic genius embodying everything that Gilbert & Sullivan did well:  legal logic, opera parody, topsy-turvydom, and some insane situations, all served up with a lot of good tunes.  I've always liked the EMI-Angel recording conducted by Malcolm Sargent with the wonderful Elsie Morrison as the Plaintiff.

Done!  And the library where I work has the Malcolm Sargent recording!  I also requested a video that has "Trial by Jury" with Frankie Howerd(!) and "Cox and Box" (which I've never heard of) with no one I've ever heard of.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:08:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »

Would it be a fair guess that's last night's music orchestrations drew more from the film than the orginal show?

DR DerBrucer, you heard the original Broadway orchestrations.  The Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization has taken advantage of concerts, like this and the CAROUSEL with Hugh Jackman, to restore the shows from their original full orchestra scores and a complete overhaul of the vocal and orchestral materials for rental in their theatre library.  I was proofreading their new edition of KING & I while they were rushing to finish the concert deadline for SOUTH PACIFIC.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2006, 11:09:09 AM »

How to make 250lbs look skinny:

Lopez twins - 7'1"

der Brucer

:o Oh My Goodness!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2006, 11:11:01 AM »

Done!  And the library where I work has the Malcolm Sargent recording!  I also requested a video that has "Trial by Jury" with Frankie Howerd(!) and "Cox and Box" (which I've never heard of) with no one I've ever heard of.

[/quote

I saw the broadcast of TBJ and C&B, and they're both wonderful.  COX AND BOX is based on a British one-act farce, BOX AND COX, and it's very silly with a wonderful Sullivan score.  The video is the only complete recording of C&B; al recordings have cuts ands omit the gambling number.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:11:32 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2006, 11:15:22 AM »

Something Wonderful.

Ben

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2006, 11:18:44 AM »

George, Frankie Howerd was Pseudolus in the first London production of Forum (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the). I have it on CD. They call it a "soundtrack" at Amazon but it's the London cast recording.

Forum
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:21:26 AM by Ben »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2006, 11:21:03 AM »

LOVE Frankie Howerd.  Just thinking about him saying his usual "Comedeee" makes me laugh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »

Rehearsal was good - got the opening number finished, and will now move on to the other group numbers - we'll be lucky to get everything staged in time for the show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »

The Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization has taken advantage of concerts, like this and the CAROUSEL with Hugh Jackman, to restore the shows from their original full orchestra scores and a complete overhaul of the vocal and orchestral materials for rental in their theatre library.  I was proofreading their new edition of KING & I while they were rushing to finish the concert deadline for SOUTH PACIFIC.

How big a pit did the original productions of South Pacific have?

Will we be getting a "King and I" concert?

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »

How big a pit did the original productions of South Pacific have?

Will we be getting a "King and I" concert?

der Brucer

I don't know anything about a KING & I concert, nor do I know how many musicians played in the original pit of SOUTH PACIFIC.  I do know that Richard Rodgers liked a large string section, that CAROUSEL in 1946 had around 40 players in the pit, and that SOUND OF MUSIC had 33 players.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2006, 11:34:57 AM »

I am liking the music in MRS HENDERSON PRESENTS a lot!!  And this guy is the first winner of Pop Idol....the show that became American Idol in the US.

Ben

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:55 AM »

Hey, Tom/Rod,

I got a postcard from a friend doing Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at the Milk Can Theatre. As I read the [size=0.4]incredibly small print[/size] I see as part of The Hamlet Plays a name I recognize. It's you! This is where you're doing the 10 minute plays. I hope to see my friend Lawrence in R&G (I love that play, I used to use a monologue from it for auditions) and I will try to see Hamlet Plays also. It might not happen though since you open in a couple of days and our schedule is tight with Anthony leaving in about 3 weeks. I'll try though. I'd love to see CG (AKA Carrot Girl) in action.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:40:52 AM by Ben »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2006, 11:46:10 AM »

I come here because I like the people. And it's (usually) a clean site.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2006, 11:48:29 AM »

I'm heading up to the Bronx to see my goddaughter in BABES IN ARMS.  Thank God it's an easy subway trip!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2006, 11:49:04 AM »

Dan - IIRC, weren't the plays GOOD and PLENTY running at side-by-side theaters at some point?  I believe that GOOD was at the Booth while PLENTY was at the Plymouth.  I thought I had seen a picture of the two marquees side by side.

Yep--I'm not sure if they were side-by-side but I definately remember that they were both on 45th Street.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:48 AM »

What time is the chat tonight? I will have to miss part of it. I am taking the young man who fell out of the palm tree out for dinner to celebrate his birthday tonight.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up