Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: FATHER'S DAY  (Read 16735 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FATHER'S DAY
« on: June 18, 2006, 12:09:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were very fatherly, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're off looking for their fathers right now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:19:52 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FATHER'S DAY
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 12:09:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: PARTITA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 12:10:45 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday cheer to LauraII, or Laura the sequel as I like to call her.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 12:21:28 AM »

Happy Fathers' Day, Bruce, ol' pal
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 12:23:08 AM »

I just got back to the cabin, from a concert thing in Seattle - a friend of mine tried out a new show... most of the audience were friends and family. It was very nice - I've heard all the songs, save one. Two act cabaret, storyline, the megillah. Nice evening.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 12:24:13 AM »

Anyhow, just checkin' in, before checkin' out for the night. *yawn* Nitey nite, dear Bruce. See you next weekend, probably...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »

PS - Happy Birthday, Laura II. And on Fathers' Day, yet!!!
PennyO

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 03:05:38 AM »

Cherish the cherries, esteemed BK.  They are pricey this year.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 03:15:57 AM »

I would not want to play a partita while standing in a tar pit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 03:25:18 AM »

Re The Princess Bride, I've never felt that the film captures what was so much fun about the book.  All the "skipped pages," and what Goldman writes about what he's skipping in order to give us the "good parts" version of the tale, well, there simply isn't any real way to capture that on film.

I suggest that DR TCB give the novel a try.  The Silent Gondoliers is pretty good, too, if less well known.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 05:39:10 AM »

Happy Father's Day to those who are!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 05:59:22 AM »

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers, grandfathers, and surrogate fathers/grandfathers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 06:18:22 AM »

Last night DR George asked:

"Does anyone know who sang for Irene Malloy?  It most definitely is not the voice of the actress who acted the part, but I've never been able to find out who it was.

Someone on IMDb.com's message board wrote "I once read that she was dubbed by different people on different songs."  Any info??"

Yep, in her solos, she was dubbed by Melissa Stafford. In ensemble work, it was Gilda Maiken.

I think this information was revealed when the DOLLY soundtrack album was released on CD some years ago. I think I copied the names down from Max Preeo's review of the CD in SHOW MUSIC.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 06:29:10 AM »

The TOD yesterday

Francois chose Richard Gere in Bloodbrothers. And I agree. Totally forgot about this film, but it showed that he was a very good actor when he gets the right material. Another early film that he was very good was I think was called Fields of Heaven

Also many people chose a PETER O'TOOLE performance.
Some chose LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. LION IN THE WINTER and some chose GOODBYE MR, CHIPS.
I thought about those as well, but the reason why I didn't choose them was:

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. Most people think that this was O'Toole first film, but it wasn't. He was very good, not great as the spectacle drawfed the performances.

LION IN THE WINTER: The whole cast was excellent and in my opinion there was no real standout performance despite the excellent work that he did,

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS Yes he was excellent in this film, BUT his singing was awful and his songs were awful. IF memory serves me they were all thought songs much like what they did to Peter Finch in the musical version of Lost Horizon. At least they got someone to sing for him. (I would call it dubbing because we never see him open his mouth and sing?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 06:31:05 AM »

Last night DR George asked:

"Does anyone know who sang for Irene Malloy?  It most definitely is not the voice of the actress who acted the part, but I've never been able to find out who it was.

Someone on IMDb.com's message board wrote "I once read that she was dubbed by different people on different songs."  Any info??"

Yep, in her solos, she was dubbed by Melissa Stafford. In ensemble work, it was Gilda Maiken.

I think this information was revealed when the DOLLY soundtrack album was released on CD some years ago. I think I copied the names down from Max Preeo's review of the CD in SHOW MUSIC.

MATT is correct. I don't remember who the singers were but there was a great article in Max Preeo' SHOW MUSIC (Which is still sadly missed) about the filming of Hello Dolly (which I believe coincided with the release of the cd soundtrack of Hello Dolly)
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 06:42:12 AM »

Good morning!

Another "summer magic" kind of day - cool morning and then hot for the rest of the day. No complaints. It is as it should be.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 06:43:38 AM »

Boy, you sure are right about SHOW MUSIC, DR Michael S. I truly miss getting that magazine every quarter just chocked full of reviews and news. Much, much missed and I occasionally pull out an old issue to read just for fun since I miss it so much.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late, and I enjoyed every moment of it.  Last night, I finished watching the 10-episode BBC soaper BERKELEY SQUARE, which I enjoyed quite a lot.  It certainly ends as abruptly as a Fox channel cancellation, as if the BBC decided there would bo no second season and gave no damn to tying up loose ends.  Good cast, costumes, and interesting characters.

Goddaughter Charlotte called me about a movie; I wanted PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION, but she wants NACHO LIBRE (oy!) so we'll see that.  I do like Jack Black, but the movie looks rather alarming.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 07:13:44 AM »

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. You know who you are!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 07:27:15 AM »

Off to work on Father's Day!

LITTLE EGYPT sounds interesting....for the cast....and the story has always been one of my favorites.

Just ordered James Swanson's THE TWELVE DAY MANHUNT FOR LINCOLN'S KILLER ... he was talking about it on C-SPAN yesterday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »

NACHO LIBRE = Cheese Book....sort of.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 07:58:49 AM »

I just spoke to my dad for Father's Day, and he sounds so frail.  I'm speaking to my sister-in-law as I type this: my father needs as many vibes as you can afford to send his way.  I'm starting to feel my brothers want me back to help babysit and feeling guilty, he's down to 158 lbs, and he has no strength at all.  She tells me he's stumbling and falling and I'm starting to worry that my July trip to Ohio will be the last to spend time with him.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 08:07:32 AM »

Our thoughts and prayers are with your father, DR Elmore.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 08:08:16 AM »

Huge amounts of vibes to DR Elmore's father!!

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 08:09:34 AM »

I am hoping that Freddy and Bosco will buy me something nice for father's day.

I will leave the internet on today whilst I am away ...just in case they would like to do some shopping.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2006, 08:20:06 AM »

BK, in the theatre is a small world department:  Sara Rue is the daughter of Joan Rue, Administrative Assistant at the University of Kentucky Theatre Department, The Lovely Wife's and my alma mater, and a friend of ours.  Julieanne was in the department at the same time Joan was.

Woody, I agree with you about Princess Bride...part of what makes the book so endearing is Goldman thrusting himself in as the intrusive, commenting editor all the time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2006, 08:56:41 AM »

Pogue, we were discussing the University of Kentucky thing last night.  Apparently, Joan is back there, and Mark, her husband, Sara's daddy, stage manages all their shows now (he was a B'way stage manager for years).

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2006, 09:03:25 AM »

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2006, 09:06:25 AM »

I woke up this morning much relieved to no longer feel like the top of my head and eyeballs had caved in.  Gadzooks! I haven't had a migraine like that in years and I hope I don't have another one like it for at least a few years more.  Nothing seemed to work last night and I was in agony until I finally was able to fall asleep after about 3 or 4 hours.  Ug.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »

But, on the bright side of things, the migraine gave me a great excuse to skip the gym this morning! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up