Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT  (Read 27089 times)

Ben

Re:THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »

And welcome to Page 3

Ben

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2006, 10:19:19 AM »

I went to Academy after lunch and what was in their window but the 1994 Broadway Angel release of Canterbury Tales starring George Rose and Hermione Baddeley and Martyn Green. It also has amongst the cast members, Miss Sandy Duncan and Reid Shelton. I have this show on vinyl and now I don't need to transfer it to CD!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:20:05 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2006, 10:23:04 AM »

I also picked up a copy of Lone Star Love, a musical version of The Merry Wives of Windsor set in post-Civil War Texas. I saw it Off-Broadway a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The show was supposed to move to another venue but it never happened. The CD has been out for a while(it's from PS Classics) but it was rather expensive (IMHO). I knew if I waited long enough it would show up. I keep waiting for Dessa Rose to appear at Academy. Now that's an expensive cast recording. It's over $30 in all the retail music stores. It will probably be around $15 to $20 if/when it comes to Academy.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2006, 10:28:31 AM »

Skip actually wrote a song that's in a film that Brian Lane Green is in, called FRIENDS AND FAMILY.  The name of the song is "You Can't Surprise Me."  Brian didn't sing the song, though.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »

Vixmom-it was nice to see you even if I haven’t been around much myself.

It’s going to be another hectic weekend so don’t be surprised if I’m not around much.  I’m looking forward to meeting Bosco on Sunday, and of course spending time with MBarnum.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »

I have seen MOST of those WML episodes, DRMBARNUM....and yes, Miss Dorothy seems to have been hitting the bottle on a couple of nights.  One appearance of Mr Bobby Darin is the worst I ever saw her.  

Well, one the other night was hilarious! The panel was trying to guess a product that had to do with cows...Dorothy asked if it was something that touched the cow in a certain area, and then started laughing...she covered her face with her hand and told the others on the panel that she had a very silly thought...then Arlene Francis said "a bull?" and everybody just cracked up...especially the guest whose profession they were trying to figure out (it was an elderly lady who had invented a back scratcher for cows).

It was the first time I had noticed Dorothy acting a bit giddy...she was usually fairly serious...but this time she seemed to be high on something!

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »

It's supposed to be this way until well into next week. It's an air conditioning night every night for the next few days.

Ugh!!!

I know it's worse in California but I'm not there so I don't care  ;)

Ben, I wasn't about to put up with 114 degrees, so I brought cooler temps to LA....that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2006, 11:01:03 AM »

BK, I just left you a phone message

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2006, 11:01:59 AM »

And, my diet isn't starting until the second week in August.  After this weekend and sweet corn days next weekend, so if you want to eat pancakes, I'll be glad to join you
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:10:18 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2006, 11:09:49 AM »

Had a great trip here.  Both flights were early. Totally full, but early.  From Denver to LA, I sat next to a family with two teenagers...the parents had told them all summer they were going on a vacation to Wyoming.  Just before they got on the plane, they saw the REAL itinerary...Hawaii!   Brittany - the girl next to me came running down the aisle to her seat.  Before even saying "hello" She held out the itinerary toward me and sad "OH MY GOD.....OH MY GOD......LOOK WHERE WE ARE GOING!!!!!"   I was then filled in on the whole story. Her excitement was really fun to be around.  The two ladies behind me were from Arkansas. They were laughing  and joking around - not obnoxious, just thrilled to be on a plane going away from Arkansas.  It really set a nice mood
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 11:11:10 AM by Cillaliz »

Jane

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2006, 11:11:29 AM »

Wednesday my hiking group went to Mt. Ashland & this was what I saw.

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2006, 11:12:05 AM »

Well, think I'll wander off and find some food and then go to the box office and pick up my ticket for tonight.  Laters...

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2006, 11:12:24 AM »

Great Photo Jane

Jane

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2006, 11:12:33 AM »

Cillaliz-if you go to DuPars be sure and have the boysenberry syrup.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »

Cute story about the kids-what a great surprise.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »

Great Photo Jane

It is!  It also makes a good computer desktop wallpaper! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »

My TOD media check is limited since I will be in Medford Saturday and Sunday...but I do have a John Pizzarelli CD as well as some $1 CDs from Walgreens of old time radio shows like Casey Jones: Crime Photographer, Amos and Andy, Fibber McGee and Molly, and things like that there. My mom is driving down with me so it will be fun to listen to this stuff which she listened to on the radio when she was a kid.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2006, 11:32:02 AM »

And I will hopefully be getting together with DR Jand and DH Keith on Sunday morning so that they can meet and greet Dog Bosco!

Photos, of course, will be snapped.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »

JRAnd55, which Pizzarelli CD are you getting? I got the one titled BOSSA NOVA.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2006, 11:33:59 AM »

We just finished watching "Metropolis".
Confession:  Neither of us had ever seen it. A classic indeed.  Now I'd like to see it with the Georgio Moroder score and/or the Pet Shop Boys version.

No you don't. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2006, 11:43:04 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I ventured out for a bit to run some errands.  Some of the errands were "successful", one of the errands - the important one - still remains unfulfilled.  -Just where in the freck is that check being sent from?!?!?!?  In any case...

It is hot outside, but it's bearable.  However, I can sense that we will be getting some storms later today, and that the humidity will most likely increase exponentially once the rain does start to fall.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »

As for "So You Think You Can Dance?"...

I think a neat twist for the upcoming third season would be to make the choreographers part of the competition - like the designers and models on "Project Runway".

There haven't been any real bad routines this season, but there have been some less-than-fully-entertaining ones.  And that's the luck of the draw.  As as semi-fan of professional ballroom dancing, even some of those traditional dances when done perfectly don't come close to the mass appeal of a hip-hop or pop routine.  If they tie the choreographers into the competition, then that would raise the stakes all around.

...It's just a thought.

*I also keep wishing that if they're going to do a "Broadway" routine, that they challenge the contestants to recreate the original dances.  -I had a problem with the "Fake Your Way To The Top" routine the other night - it was just soooo wrong, at least in the context of the show.

**And I also think it would be nice to see the couples all do the same routine every now and then.  This way, they're all on an even playing field, and then it will truly be all in the details and presentation.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2006, 12:07:12 PM »

Just spoke to Cillaliz and we'll definitely be getting together tomorrow at some point.  She's going to check to see if her hotel is near a subway stop - if it is, she can subway down to LACC, as there's a stop just a half-block from the school.  Then, we'd go out after the show, or maybe even before the show.  We shall see.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2006, 12:33:32 PM »

Great photo, DR Jane. That's beautiful.

Great story, DR Cillaliz. What fun parents!  Mmm. Pancakes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »

Well... Here comes the storms...  And from the look of the radar maps, it looks like a doozy.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2006, 01:03:14 PM »

Ooh Jennifer, I think it would have been a good idea to put spoiler alerts with your comments.  Here are my thoughts about the show- SPOILER ALERTS!!

Do you think we need spoiler alerts if it happened last night? I know that there are only a few people here who watch.  And my first line was "re: last night's show". I figured if anybody had not watched that they would stop reading there.

But if anyone needs spoiler space still, i can do that.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2006, 01:06:14 PM »

Btw, i did not leave all that space to be funny. It just wouldn't go away!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2006, 01:35:57 PM »

I really don't know if anyone has gone to the trouble of breaking down the various CABARETs though I think all the different stage versions would make an interesting outline to see what was added and subtracted.

I have the scripts of the original and the Tony-winning revival. I have an audio tape of the Joel Grey revival (I guess recorded through the theater's sound system). And I have the movie on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2006, 01:40:37 PM »

I've just been having the most fascinating viewing experience.  I got a DVD from Germany entitled Tottel Im Weltall.  What that is is the German DVD of The Creature Wasn't Nice aka Spaceship aka Naked Space.  Now, this DVD, unlike the public domain copies available on eBay and elsewhere, is taken from my pristine 35mm print.  This is the third version of the German DVD - I don't have the first two, but they were both full-frame and therefore ridiculous.  I'm happy to say that this new DVD from Kinowelt is the first time on video that the film has ever been in its proper (well, almost proper) ratio: It's about 1:78 (should be 1:85, but it's a minor quibble).  And even though the DVD isn't enhanced for widescreen TVs, the quality is immediately 500% better than the PD DVDs.   It's really sharp, the color is outstanding, and the film is properly framed so you don't have ridiculous head room and you can't see off the bottom of the set in certain shots.  So, if I decide to put a DVD out on Kritzerland (which I'm very certain I shall), I'll use this as the master (my print is still in Germany - they had the right to store it for five years and the five years isn't quite up yet).  I believe I'd be able to enhance this DVD for widescreen without too much trouble.  That means the only thing I'd really have to transfer is the director's cut of the film, which only exists on 3/4" tape.  So, this all becomes very doable now.  

The best thing is (aside from seeing the film look better than it ever has on video - printed correctly and not brightened, great color, correct framing), is that the DVD has a German dub.  Now, to create this dub they had to do everything from scratch as I did not have the music and effects tracks.  I did provide them with a cutting continuity script.  So, they redid the entire musical score for synth (the songs remain in English) - some of the rescoring is better actually despite the cheesy synth.  They kept most of Mr. Spear's underscore, but changed some cues for the better.  And the German actors are great - very close to Gerritt Graham's voice, Cindy's voice is cute, mine is deeper but fun, and MacNee's voice is a good match.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2006, 01:41:13 PM »

Well, it was almost unbearable to be outside when I went out for my errands earlier today. The air was so heavy it was hard to breathe, and there was just no breeze anywhere. Miserable, awful July day heat-wise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up