Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRIPLE PLAY  (Read 25165 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TRIPLE PLAY
« on: August 03, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were filled with interesting factoids and ephemera, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're playing cowball and just had a triple play of their own.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 12:58:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TRIPLE PLAY
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:24:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBTEST!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:02:18 AM »

The end of 1776 made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 03:21:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBTEST!
Herbie, the beggar, tried what he thought was his BEST TO OBTEST the passers-by for money, but too many people were turned off when he called them "Snookie-ookums."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 03:24:34 AM »

I had a similar hairs/neck moment early in Ragtime, during the trio "Goodbye, My Love/Journey On," sung by Mother, Father and Tateh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 04:36:41 AM »

Morning all on this first day of the kids going back to school!

I don't know if you all get the commercial from Staples where the faher is pushing the shopping cart and the voice over says "Their going  BACK!". The kids follow the cart wth mad/sad face while the background music is "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" or whatever it's called.

They do it every year but that never fails to crack me up. :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »

My it does seem like I'm so far behind with everyone who needs vibes.  I'm so sorry and send double vibes to all who need them to make up for it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 04:39:38 AM »

Great news about the puppy, DR Jane!  And I also take pictures of cute dogs at the dog park and from when I was in NY.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 04:40:17 AM »

So much for TS Chris.  He/she is being blown all away!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 04:41:02 AM »

Well, that's all folks until this afternoon!  Have a wonderful day!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 05:03:22 AM »

Good morning!!! I am very  pleased to report that both cats were running free around the house all night and didn't wake me once.  I have decided to leave them both out all day today and if this goes well, I'm toying with leaving them both out when I go this weekend.

Cillaliz

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 05:04:02 AM »

I knew it was time when I saw scratch marks on the wall that said  
FREE BOOTSIE!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 05:04:39 AM »

I need to get ready and go to work. Vibes to everyone~~~~~

FJL

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 05:35:38 AM »

TOD:

The biggest of those moments for me was when I first heard and saw Sandy Duncan do the flying number in the revival of PETER PAN.

I have a few faves from shows that didn't do so well.  One was "Cross the Line" from BIG, which number alone may have been responsible for my going back to the show several times.  And another is the career-wrap-up number from CHITA RIVERA:  A DANCER'S LIFE, which was that show's eleven o'clock number.    

FJL

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 05:38:31 AM »

The aforementioned are of course the number sthat filled me with joy.  In terms of numbers that i found powerful, there are so many.  But I guess that's a diffreent question?

FJL

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 05:41:35 AM »

Continued vibes to you and your family, Larry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 05:42:10 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm about ready to begin my trek to the hospital ICU.  Today's work for the hospital cafeteria will be the beginning of three charts - undetermined which I'll start first - for Klea Blackhurst.  Yesterday, I proofed the "Harlequinade" from Victor Herbert's THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER.

I'm not sure at present how my dad is progressing.  He was allowed soft food yesterday, and he had beef broth and jello for lunch.  He turned down his dinner, although the nurses assured me they would bring him something later in the evening.  I'm afraid they'll be inserting more tubes today, which leave his throat quite sore, and he'll be going back to an IV feeding.  Besides his sore throat, he's lost nearly all intelligence in his speech.  I don't know if it's the sore throat, a weakness to articulaye clearly, or - God forbid - a small stroke, but I'm lucky this week if I understand 50% of what he's saying.  I'm sure my response is as frustrating to him and his diction is to me.

On the positive side, he definitely looked better yesterday.  He had some color and energy.  I'll have more to report later.

This morning my sister-in-law Jo Ann and I want to ask the doctor about Lady Macbeth's radiation burns.  

DR Jose, bon voyage, dear friend!  You will be missed.

DR FJL, I'm sorry to travel plans hhave changed.  I hope your friend is doing better.

TOD:
  I would agree with DR CharlesPogue:  the finale of "1776."  I was so moved, I didn't want to leave the 46th Street Theatre.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 05:50:29 AM »

All thoughts to everyone who needs good vibes and thoughts. I have been absented last couple of days and must catch up so please excuse this encomposing posting.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 05:51:19 AM »

I'm still trying to see if it's feasible to just fly out to Seattle on Friday, see the final rehearsal and the presentation on Friday night, and come back early on Saturday.  It's probable that my wanting to be around in NYC during a key period of my friend's anticipated improvement is more for me than for my friend's family.  He has a very loyal support group.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 05:54:57 AM »

TOD
Not sure if this counts, but....
Act One Finale from Dreamgirls (And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going)
Act Two Finale from The Wiz (Home)

I had the opportunity to see the roles' originators, respectively, Jennifer Holliday & Stephanie Mills

I am sure their are others. I willtry to remember during the day or someone else will mention one that I like.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 06:19:53 AM »

Hmmm....only one in the jernt.

The TKAM saga continues with no resolution yet....and no black actors.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 06:20:17 AM »

Hmmmm - I always love the final moments of THE MIRACLE WORKER.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 06:20:58 AM »

"It Only Takes a Moment" from DOLLY is nice.

"Easy Street" always makes me laugh.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 06:27:34 AM »

I think Lucille Ball's casting as Mrs Iselin in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE would have been an Oscar nomination.  Coming off the cheapjack FACTS OF LIFE and before THE LUCY SHOW - she certainly could have had a BIG impact, and it would have given her a chance to have more of a movie career than the television series she went on with.

And what a shocker!  If she had turned around and said "Why don't you pass the time by playing a little solataire?" and later kissed her son - whew!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 06:28:34 AM »

Of course nowadays some if not MOST young reviewers refer to Angela as playing "Eleanor Iselin" although in the BOOK and the original film version the character has NO first name and is referred to as Mrs Iselin or Raymond's mother.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 06:28:49 AM »

"Once a Year Day!"

Ben

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 06:36:08 AM »

It is evil hot here again today. It's supposed to be better tomorrow. We shall see. It's that kind of hot with a wind where you feel your face is being melted off of your skeleton. I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rather have Minnesota cold anytime than a week of this weather. If we ever leave New York to retire someplace else, it ain't gonna be Arizona (Sorry Laura and Kerry) and it ain't gonna be Floriday (sorry Michael and Danise) or anyplace else that gets hot.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »

Someone in a Tree from Pacific Overtures. I saw two productions of the show (not the original, I was 21 and still living in Minnesota when the original opened on Broadway) and even though the Roundabout production was not "great" that number still gives me chills. I think (as I've said many times) it is one of the most brilliant numbers in all musical theatre.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 06:58:03 AM »

Greetings, all.  Yes, BK, i DO deserve a bitchslapping from here to eternity and to hell and back...or wherever the bitchslapping machine is set to send me.  I've been reasonably good at keeping up with reading posts, but terribly bad about posting.  
Now that I'm here anyway...
Vibes for Elmore's dad and DakotaCelts dad and anyone else who needs them...
Jane, ADORABLE pic of that puppy the other day.
Anyone who's in the heat wave at the moment...my sincere apologies.  Stay cool and drink lots of fluids.
I'll try to post on the topic of the day after I've finished my coffee and my brain has started functioning properly...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 07:07:20 AM »

Good morning!

More heat and more humidity to cope with today. Unbearable, really.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up