Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TRIPLE PLAY  (Read 25162 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TRIPLE PLAY
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2006, 07:10:36 AM »

I was completely enraptured at the end of "Who's That Woman" in the original FOLLIES.

"We'll Take a Glass Together" from GRAND HOTEL was even more astonishing in person than it was on the Tony Awards.

So much of A CHORUS LINE had me tingling. Probably my favorite moment was at the end of the lengthy "Goodbye Twelve . . . . Hello, Love" montage.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2006, 07:11:16 AM »

Hey Ann, it is good to see your smiling avatar!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2006, 07:11:29 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Two Dance!!![/move]

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 07:12:21 AM »

STAND UP AND CHEER from the film STAND UP AND CHEER always makes me teary eyed in a joyful way...I don't know why, it just makes me soooooooo happy when I hear and watch it.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 07:14:22 AM »

Since I plan to stay inside all day, I will have a wealth of video offerings to watch. I will have to finish ORCHESTRA WIVES which I started last night. I could put my hands on BILLY ELLIOT yesterday (wasn't where I thought it would be), but I finally located it this morning. Probably will save it for the weekend and go with THE DETECTIVE today.

And there are two GREY'S ANATOMY reruns tonight (neither of which I will have seen) which should make for some great viewing.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:11 AM »

I do not know how you all can take that heat day after day after day...here in Salem, Oregon, USA we are quite thankful that we only get a few days of the really hot heat...normally most of our summer is mild (in the low to mid 80s or so). That week of low 100s that we had was horrible and I am glad it is over.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 07:15:27 AM »

Judy Garland's closing speech in THE WIZARD OF OZ is always a joyously tearful moment for me. Gets me every time.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

Amazon must really have a backlog of orders. The couple of things that I ordered last Thursday (which were released this Tuesday) have still not shipped. They used to ship on Mondays. It's Thursday now and nothing (so far, at least).

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 07:32:52 AM »

I am waiting for DR Sandra to get up so we can begin our long drive and our long weekend.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 07:51:03 AM »

Going to get off-line for awile to see if I can't finish the Kate Hepburn book.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 08:14:40 AM »

Good morning all.  Yesterday was our first day of cool weather...well if you can call the upper 80s cool...hang in there in NYC...it's headed your way

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 08:16:01 AM »

Good morning!!! I am very  pleased to report that both cats were running free around the house all night and didn't wake me once.  I have decided to leave them both out all day today and if this goes well, I'm toying with leaving them both out when I go this weekend.

That's great news, maybe all they needed was a little time away from mom.  The first time that Rodzinski and I went away, the cats seemed much closer when we returned.

Cillaliz

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 08:23:02 AM »

I have decided to ask my nephew to go to New York with me in October. He's 22 or 23 and at that point where he thinks he should know what he's going to do with the rest of his life, but he doesn't. (Reminds me of my last weeks in law school when I went to one of my professors and cried "But I don't want to be a lawyer!!!")

Anyway, I'm going to give him my free plane ticket (it is transferrable) and he can share my little hotel room.  I just got off the phone with my sister and she thinks it's a fabulous idea.

I know he will fit in with the HHW gang quite well.   I'll see him tomorrow and perhaps I can introduce him to the site.

Cillaliz

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2006, 08:26:34 AM »

That's great news, maybe all they needed was a little time away from mom.  The first time that Rodzinski and I went away, the cats seemed much closer when we returned.

I think it was me being in LA and Boo having to be in her room for 3 days. Apparently Callie stayed by the door the whole time I was gone.   Thanks for listening to the trials and tribulations.  I wasn't sure we'd ever get this far...of course I haven't been home to check on them, so I don't know if we're all the way there yet, but I think we are.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2006, 08:42:07 AM »

Good Morning, Sweet Ben.

Today's the day!!!!  See you in a few hours, Bruce!!!!

I must fly-- literally!
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2006, 09:41:43 AM »

PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILER

SPOILER

I wasn't a bit surprised at last night's surprise ouster of a player for breaking the rules.  Of course, it wasn't what I expected.  I thought he'd be told to leave because of the scandal involving his portfolio (i.e., having cribbed some designs from other design lines and calling them his own).  No...he gets ousted because he has (GASP!) "pattern books" in his room!

I guess that's tantamount to cheating (using an open book when it's not an open book test).

Kayne thought it was awful.  Just horrible. Tsk.

And Kayne turned Keith in.

And when Keith took it like a man, and apologized to his fellow competitors, what did Kayne do?

He pissily told Keith "You have only yourself to blame."

That's a deflection from his part in blowing the whistle.  I'm certain he was simply assuaging his own guilt -- but it was bad form and ungracious when Keith was so openly honest and apologetic.

I was a fan of Kayne's until last night.  
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 09:42:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2006, 09:59:13 AM »

"We'll Take a Glass Together" from GRAND HOTEL was even more astonishing in person than it was on the Tony Awards.

I've only seen this on TV (and now the DVD) and I absolutely LOVE this scene!!

"Brand New World" from Rags (in a local production only) was just so much fun!

That's all I can think of right now.  Off to work!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2006, 10:01:28 AM »

Thursday greetings!  Glad to hear that the cool wave is on its way.  I just walked over to the nearby bagel place, where I intended to sit and eat my lunch and read my book.  When I saw how fast the rain clouds were moving in, I decided to get back here to my desk before the storm.  Of course, the peril of lunching at my desk is phone calls - of which I've now answered 2 while trying to eat my tuna on sourdough toast.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »

TOD - Oh, so many!  
Mimi Hines in Funny Girl on Broadway, singing "The Music that Makes Me Dance;"
The Oklahoma finale, also on Broadway (which I saw with DR Elmore in 1980);
The Santa combo doing "Hey There, Good Times" in I Love My Wife
A local Snoopy's "Suppertime;"  
The African-American Tevye in DS Rob's senior class musical.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:10:09 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2006, 10:25:03 AM »

TOD - I have too many to mention...I am easily entertained

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »

TOD - I have too many to mention...I am easily entertained

Me, too, DR Cillaliz.  Just having a ticket in my hand makes me joyous.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I was up early but went back to sleep and now look - it's after ten.  Must get ungroggified and joggified, so I can go to my meeting.  

Ben

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »

Don't know if it will happen or if it's just rumor but a neighbor who works in the area and lives in our building just called Anthony to say that a Con- Edison worker told her that a partial Con-Ed induced blackout will happen sometime this afternoon. It won't be city-wide but it's apparently just going to happen in some high use areas. Some office buildings in my neighborhood are on a self-imposed energy saving scheme, shutting down a couple of elevators, turning out lights, etc. but apparently it's not enough. If it does happen I hope they tell people. Shutting off the power with no warning will fry many, many computers in the area and Con-Ed is already the new utility you love to hate (although no business  can ever replace Time-Warner Cable of New York City as my most hated and evil utility in existence  ;)).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 10:51:17 AM by Ben »

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2006, 10:51:20 AM »

Cillaliz, I am very happy for you and the cats!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2006, 10:52:54 AM »

I bought some Chock Full O' Nuts coffee yesterday....am drinking it today...mighty tasty! I had never had it before but have certainly seen the old TV commercials...and the jingle keeps going through my head.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2006, 10:53:39 AM »

PROJECT RUNWAY SPOILER

SPOILER

I was a fan of Kayne's until last night.  

MORE SPOILERS

Are you now a non-fan because he ratted him out, or because of how he responded when Keith apologized?  He seemed to be the only one who acknowledge the situation.  Some of the other guys didn't even look at him.

I'm still a Kayne fan.  I didn't see Keith's exit as graceful, he seemed really shaken and strung out.  Also, I was surprised by how he got kicked off, and by the number of rules that he broke.  And his "discount" at the fabric store earlier on the episode reminded me a lot of Kara Saun's shoe trick in the finale of the first season.  Not a fair and equal playing ground with the rest of the competitors.  Not cool.  Also he was kind of a jerk, but maybe that's in the editing.  Or maybe he's a jerk.  Oh yeah, and I also didn't like his closing speech where he said that he had the book but he never got an advantage from it.  How can he or we ever know that?  Why did he bring it in the first place?  Why is this so compelling to me? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2006, 10:54:21 AM »

Okay, off to jog - meeting got pushed to one-thirty so all is well.

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2006, 11:03:38 AM »

the heavenly coffee!

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 11:08:20 AM »

My boss and I checked out a new Indian restaurant on the east side of town called STAR OF INDIA....$6.95 lunch buffet all you can eat! It was delicious and we both stuffed ourselves...but the best part was what I discovered next door to the restaurant...a little store owned by the STAR OF INDIA'S owner which sold some groceries and had a wall of CDs and DVDs! Woohoo! I bought two CDs and had a long talk with the owner, Maleq, about vintage Bollywood films (he is a big fan!)...he knew all the new and old actors and was quite impressed with my knowledge of Indian cinema...and astonished that I had more DVDs at home then he had in his whole store! LOL!

I reported my discovery to my co-workers who seemed somewhat terrified of the fact that I now had a place locally to buy Bollywood soundtracks.  ???
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:08:50 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »

To quote George Seurat, let's "move on"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up