Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M GAME  (Read 20579 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I'M GAME
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2003, 08:07:24 AM »

[move=right,scroll,4,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TOMOVOZ![/move]

-And as your birthday "travels" from Down Under, across the International Date Line, from the mountains to the ocean, over the hills and through the woods, in a land by a sapphire shore, .... May you enjoy every hour of it!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2003, 08:07:34 AM »

I didn't read yesterdays notes. Too busy getting ready for the trip but I'm glad I popped in today so I could say hello to the finest Australian down under. Happy Birthday Tom! I hope when you get to NY we can have a get together.

It's snowing in NYC! I'm only worried because it might affects flights for the next two or three days and delay our departure across the pond.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2003, 08:10:28 AM »

DR Kerry, so sorry to hear about the bee sting. I hope it doesn't prevent you from opening envelopes. If so, MG/Lyn can open it for both of you.

Hmmm, that's one of the advantages of living in an area with winter. We don't have to worry about bee stings in the winter ;-)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2003, 08:17:54 AM »

-And one of these days, I'm gonna figure out how to insert images and smileys into the post, rather than attaching them.  But not hurry.  I'll check the technical board.

Good morning, from a very snow and sleet covered Northern Virginia.  *It's actually quite beautiful when I don't have my glasses on, but even with my glasses on it's still nice - even though it's changed over to sleet and rain now.  Should be interesting getting in to the city later for the show.

-And at least we got our newspaper this morning - the one that my pic is in! (Let's see who reads the late night/early morning posts) -Our newspaper carrier tends to not deliver on bad weather days - which is understandable, but still...  I think of them like the Post Office, "Neither rain, nor snow... " - or whatever the order of meteorological conditions is.  And I've seen our newspaper delivery "boy" - he's some sturdy, 40-ish man with a good car with good tires.  ;)

DR Kerry - I'm an in indeed cuddly - and even more so now that I've put on a sweatshirt!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2003, 08:24:01 AM »

And a self-correction from yesterday's post - Oh, and as BK pointed out in the late-night posting frenzy, "The Promise" is by Shire, not Legrand...  I guess I got mixed up reading all the posts... saw it mentioned... Ah, well.. It was late.  I mean BK even stated the song was by Shire - ??? - In any case, I do love the song.
Make Your Own Luck.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2003, 08:25:35 AM »

Bruce.... you'll be happy to know that today is the birthday of none other than... PATTY DUKE! She is 57 today. Break out the ham chunks...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2003, 08:26:09 AM »

Oh, and all that late night activity - TCB, don't go there - gave me an idea for a new one person show - well, at least the title:

I Am My Own Frenzy!

*And all titles do need an "!" nowadays.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2003, 08:32:10 AM »

"But Patty loves to rock 'n roll/ a hot dog makes her lose control. . . ."

So a hot dog for dear Patty, not ham chunks, please!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2003, 08:32:43 AM »

To further confuse the matter, I think the song from The Promise is known, not just as The Promise, but also as I'll Never Say Goodbye.  It's the only non-Maltby Shire on my lengthy list

www.WeddingMusical.com
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 08:39:16 AM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2003, 08:39:07 AM »

Dear Reader Tom From Oz:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday!!![/size][/move]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 08:40:03 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2003, 08:46:15 AM »

To further confuse the matter, I think the song from The Promise is known, not just as The Promise, but also as I'll Never Say Goodbye.  It's the only non-Maltby Shire on my lengthy list

But a Bergman lyric, n'est-ce pas?  I think that's where my Legrand confusion came from.

*I know I could do a search on the web somewhere right now for that info, but...
Make Your Own Luck.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2003, 09:00:49 AM »

TOM-

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MAN FROM OZ

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2003, 09:09:43 AM »

It took me a while to figure it out, but my favorite Michel Legrand song is On My Way To You.  For me, many of his great tunes are marred by trite lyrics, but I don't speak French, so some of them are marred by trite translations.

On My Way To You moves me deeply.  Once, I was asked to play it and the wedding of a couple I did not know.  When I found out it was his third marriage and her second, well, that made the song quite emotional for everybody.

The lyrics are by the Bergmans (Marilyn was a childhood friend of my father, when they shared the same last name), who also wrote I'll Never Say "Goodbye" (from The Promise)

www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2003, 09:18:16 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!

in other news... we are expecting 40cm of snow tonight!  :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2003, 09:20:02 AM »

ooohhh... the excitement grows!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2003, 09:33:58 AM »

A lull?  A lull?!?!  A lull!

We need posts!!!

oohh.. that was scary... I was channeling BK....

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2003, 09:35:41 AM »

hmmm... Now I want pancakes!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2003, 10:20:03 AM »

Isn't it interesting how close to the U.S. border most Canadian cities are????!!!!!

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2003, 10:38:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, TomovOz!![/move]

DR Jennifer - DRAndrea is right - we go at 3 a.m. to beat the crowds!  And it is very nice not to have to wait in a checkout line...and all the other stuff!!   ;D

MR BK did you locate any other Patty Duke recordings to make your CD?  ;)

And in answer to the question from I think MATTH yesterday, in her biography, Patty wrote RE:her singing in the movie VOD:

"....my screen test was probably better than anything I did in the movie....  It was also established that I would not do the singing.  That was fine with me.  I believed a dynamic Judy Garland type of voice was needed."   8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2003, 10:48:12 AM »

Jrand  I love that simley face!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEAR TOMOVOZ!!!![/move]

Or, if the day has already switched for you, a belated happy birthday :)

I had a restless night of sleeping...finally dozed off at around 5, finally gave up and got up at 9.  Back to studying...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2003, 10:50:00 AM »

My scanner is working again!

Does anyone else have this LP?   :o

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2003, 10:52:13 AM »

Who needs more posts, say I?  Who needs more posts when the posts we've got are so damnably cherce?  

Mr. Shire is a treasure and the fact that he works so infrequently as a film composer is one of the great injustices.  So, I'll throw in a few of his classic film scores, starting with his masterpiece Return to Oz.  To that add The Conversation (sparse but brilliant), The Taking of Pelham One, Two, Three, The Promise, and Old Boyfriends (when I saw the very first workshop of Flight or Take Flight or whatever they're calling it these days) I was the only person in the audience who knew where Mr. Shire had gotten the glorious tune for the best song in the show - right from Old Boyfriends), and quite a few others.

Song-wise, my favorite remains Autumn, as done by Miss Barbra Streisand - it was my first exposure to Shire and Maltby and so it holds a special place.  I also love It Goes Like It Goes from Norma Rae, and, of course, a ton of others.

If you don't have David Shire at the Movies, which I produced for Bay Cities and if you don't have Return to Oz, seek them out.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2003, 10:53:12 AM »

Hate to be boring, but... I still have no answer to what I asked on the Technical Support Board.  When I highlight a word and hit any of the icon, color, font, etc. buttons, all I get is a verbal description of what I've done, but no results. For example, here's what happens when I highlight "interesting" and want to do it as a color:
Suggestions, DR's?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2003, 10:53:52 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), I just got up at ten-thirty.  What a glorious night of sleep.  BTW, I saw episode thirteen of season two's Alias, and I must say they pulled a pretty good mid-season switcheroo.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2003, 11:31:25 AM »

Happy
Birthday
[size=10]TOMOVOZ[/size]

Hmmm...looks a little like the story updates at the start of every Star Wars flick!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2003, 11:33:30 AM »

Good afternoon all and

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MORE EXOTICALLY NAMED BUT STILL AS NICE AND FUNNY TOMOVOZ!!![/move]

I have to admit that I am not as familiar with David Shire's songs as I should be...which gives me more songs to be exposed to in the future!  My favorite of his songs that I do know are:

The Story Goes On
I Don't Remember Christmas
Stop, Time

I DO want to get the "Baby" cast recording.  Lately, I've begun to feel that my collection of cast recordings in inadequate.  I mean I have a lot, but there are so many that I don't have that I really want.  

Very glad about Saddam's capture, not so glad about the popularity boost this will undoubtedly bring to the Republican party.  Another 5 years of Bushdom and Idiocracy (a word I've coined in his honor) is just a scary thought for me.  

Wow...you guys can't tell that I'm a liberal, can you???

Emily

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2003, 11:38:48 AM »

Panni, when you highlight the word it will show the code for what you want it to do.

Only when you post will you see the final result.

Maybe you should use WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) instead which works more like a general word document.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2003, 11:44:30 AM »

Panni - If you have a mac, you won't see a lot of the effects.  The glow one doesn't work, for example.  Just make sure whatever you type is inbetween the brackets, and it should show up for everyone else.  But highlighting doesn't work for me...I have to get the code up first, then type inbetween.
As DR Jed would say...damn those macs :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2003, 11:48:32 AM »

Digging around over at IMDB, I came up with a song Shire wrote with Edward Kleban (!!!) for the film The Hindenburg: "There's a Lot to be Said For the Fuhrer."

I haven't the slightest idea how it goes.  Sorry.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2003, 12:00:30 PM »

In honor of TomovOz's birthday I present to him this nice photo of Mr. Walter Knoch, co-star of the filmed in Florida classic THE WILD WOMEN OF WONGO, and current interviewee of mine...Enjoy!

PS: Mr. Knock now races cars in the mid-west and owns an auto parts store in Michigan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up