Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'M GAME  (Read 20528 times)

Tomovoz

Re:I'M GAME
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2003, 12:04:15 PM »

A wonderful way to greet a new day - inventive and deligthful Birthday greetings from so many people. Thank you all. Sadam captured  -now if only they can capture Mr Bush as well!
DR Kerry "bee sting" is the name of a popular German yeast cake which is filled with loads of cream. (It is sold here in many "european" cake shops?).  "Biene -Stich". Why am I not surprised that you would have a close encounter with a cake?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2003, 12:07:13 PM »

And a good thing I looked back at page 2 MBarnum. I was going to say "I will put the gift to good use" but then realized how the minds of some readeres work. Thank you for the thought.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2003, 12:07:14 PM »

I just realized that the only Christmas song we have in the house right now, or at least Christmas related, is Maltby & Shire's "I Don't Remember Christmas," as sung by Christiane Noll on the Broadway Love Story album.  

We've seriously got to do some Christmas music shopping, if Dad can't get my CDs shipped to us.   :-[
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2003, 12:21:01 PM »

I love a sunburnt country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of droughts and flooding rains
I love her far horizons
I love her Jeweled sea
Her beauty and her terror
This wide brown land for me

The stark white ring-barked forests
All tragic to the moon
The saphire misted mountains
The hot gold hush of noon
Green tangles of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil
And Orchids deck the tree tops
And ferns, the warm dark soil

Core of my heart my country
Land of a rainbow gold
Through flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold
Though earth has many splendours
Wherever I may die
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

(A few verses from a poem by Dorothea McKeller - every Oz person about my age would have recited this as a 10 year old - it is amazing how the verses stay with you nearly half a century on)
Why post it today. Just triggered off by an earlier post by DR Jose who recently visited these shores.
DR Ron: Don't the guns of Quebec face the USA only? Cities along the border are for protection from the hostile neighbours.
James Thurber 1957

William E. Lurie

« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2003, 12:31:27 PM »

I love the whole score to "Starting Here".   Years ago when I was living in Buffalo (David Shire's hometown) I wanted to produce a production but they refused to release the rights.

The one Sunday I would have been able to chat in the last month and you cancel it!  I hope I can make it tomorrow.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2003, 12:57:27 PM »

I don't know much of David Shire - sorry, but not a favorite of mine.  It's only personal, so that's okay.  If you like him, great!

In answer to a query yesterday....NO...the words to A SUMMER PLACE were NOT used in the movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2003, 12:57:44 PM »

I just came across the following article from the Los Angeles Times on-line, the sort of trivia that some of us get interested in.  The only problem is that the photo that is integral to the quiz at the end isn't included with the article.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2003, 01:04:40 PM »

Well, at least I got some laundry done this afternoon...  Otherwise, it's been filled with surfing, browsing, wondering, deciding, etc...

*I was just browsing the new Telecharge site... It seems that it's winter sale time again!  Hmmm...  Maybe I will see Phantom of the Opera again.  I need me a Hugh Panaro fix!

DRs Tomovoz and Kerry - I LOVE Bienenstich cakes.  Soooo good.  Sadly, a now defunct bakery near me used to make them, it's where I discovered them.  I used to buy one each week and put it in the green room before a show - boy, did that disappear fast.  I've been toying with making one... hmm.. nothing really planned for tomorrow.  My favorite part is the crunchy topping - kind of like of almond/brittle/toffee... and all that powdered sugar!  And the pastry cream!  And you use brioche dough for the base too!  All that butter!

DR Panni - At least for me (using IE), I just have to make sure my text stays highlighted - usually my finger slips.  Otherwise, I hit the "code button", then type my text between the on/off brackets.

Oh, and I just had some more ice cream... chocolate, M&Ms, and marshmallow goo!  (a Camelot reference)  -One of Friendly's Ice Cream Shoppe Creations.  YUM!

And DR Maya - Mamma Mia! - Thumbs up?  Thumbs down?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 01:10:21 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2003, 01:16:24 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone (you know who you are).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2003, 01:20:58 PM »

BK, you know where I am...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2003, 01:21:46 PM »

Well... Know I know why DR Maya has not answered my query...

DR Sarah* - Mamma Mia?  Thumbs up?  Thumbs down?

Oh - and did you see my pic in the paper this morning?

*Yes, the Advanced Search works... Sorry DR Maya for all the queries... But have you seen Mamma Mia!?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2003, 01:25:42 PM »

Pogue: I do know for I will be with you shortly.

Those who are errant and truant and who have been the entire weekend know who they are.  I'm sure they will have some excuse or other but frankly we shall laugh and laugh.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2003, 01:35:06 PM »

I've had the "David Shire at the Movies" CD since it first came out and (I'm really sorry about admitting this, BK) I had forgotten that it was a Bay Cities/BK and Nick Redman produced CD!  It's been A LONG time since I've listened to it!  I will definitely rectify that situation.

Anyway, some of my favorite Shire songs (all of them are Maltby/Shire songs):

Another Wedding Song (I told my sister that if she and her boyfriend--of more than 14 years--ever got married, that I would HAVE to sing this at their wedding.  It would be the second marriage for both of them.)
I Chose Right
I Don't Remember Christmas
I Hear Bells
I Want It All
I Wouldn't Go Back
It's Never That Easy/I've Been Here Before
The Ladies Singing Their Song
Life Story
Miss Byrd
One Step
Patterns
Pleased With Myself
She Loves Me Not
Stop, Time
The Story Goes On
Travel
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2003, 01:41:30 PM »

I'm now going to my sister's house (she, with the boyfriend of 14 years) and am going to make chocolate chip cookies for a cookie platter silent auction that I'm involved in at work. :)

I also going to make some cookies with black and white M&M's.  There are special 14 oz and larger packages of M&M's that are filled with only white and black ones (each M is either white or black...it's not like they're cow M&M's).  So that's what I'll be doing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2003, 01:42:13 PM »

It was a great pleasure to play Alan in BABY, and we also got to do the choral parts since we did the show with a chorus of 2. All of the other actors played the "vocal minority" when they were needed to do so. Gave us much more to do and it was a great score to learn and sing. Both Alan's second act solo "Easier to Love" and his last duet with Arlene "And What If We Had Loved Like This?" were tremendous acting and singing numbers. Loved them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2003, 01:45:04 PM »

Spent the afternoon watching THE HOT ROCK and then the first hour or so of HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS just because I felt like a fantasy.

When I go back, I'll probably put in ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY which came yesterday along with quite a few other DVDs from DeepDiscount's 20% off sale that many of us participated in.

Have to finish by 8, however, so I can settle in for the second three hour installment of ANGELS IN AMERICA.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2003, 01:56:08 PM »

First,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM.........

I'm in an office at the moment, waiting to play a short "guest appearance" at a function here in southern Calif.

Then I will hop a plane and go home to see about my DR Kerry's bee-stung hand!!

Wonderful DuPar's pancakes were consumed with gusto and bravura....and also with BK yesterday morning.  We chatted in a lively and esteemed way, and it was a sparkling start to a Saturday morning!

I must go for now.... take care of the Living Room.

;D 8)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2003, 02:34:17 PM »

What a lull...
I'm currently writing a take home final essay about how ancient societes displayed ideas about religion and spirtuality through archetecture.  Sounds thrilling, doesn't it?  

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2003, 02:41:38 PM »

Some of us actually actually enjoyed our lives in ancient societies DR Ann. Spirituality and Religion had nothing to do with it - we just wanted to "pretty up" our drab buildings. We didn't have spray paints so had to carve in our graffiti. Check with TCB he may well remember why and what he wrote - especially the phone number stuff!
James Thurber 1957

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2003, 02:48:13 PM »

Jose--not a problem!  Though I WILL in all probability be seeing "Camelot" on the 21st.  Looking forward to it!  

Then "Wicked" later on in the month, of course, and maybe I can even get "Avenue Q" tickets if I have enough.

Gee, is it any wonder I'm always broke?  I go with my official slogan...

Theatre...crack is cheaper.

Michael

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2003, 02:52:21 PM »

Which of two collections of Charlie Chaplin shorts (The Mutual et al)are  better quality. One is called the Essential Charlie Chaplin Collection (12 Discs contains 57 of Chaplin’s legendary shorts) and the other is Charlie Chaplin Short Comedy Classics - The Complete Restored Essanay & Mutual Collection which are 7 discs  Fully restored and transferred from premier quality 35mm negatives with new digital stereo scores.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2003, 02:54:28 PM »

But crack has no lasting memories. Yes, you will continue to need a theater fix forever, but every one you get leaves unforgettable memories (many good, some bad) that remain with you always.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2003, 02:57:53 PM »

I think the second one you mentioned features better quality transfers. What label are the DVDs released under? By that I mean, are they Image or Republic or Artisan or what?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 02:59:30 PM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2003, 03:00:45 PM »

Well - after viewing it on TCM a few days ago, I finally decided I needed to buy the 2001:A Space Odyssey on DVD....widescreen of course.

It is one of a few films I saw in high school and just after in a Roadshow or other special attractions venue.  I was puzzled by it then, and still am, but I think I want to own it.

Others I saw in the B I G theatres:

LE MANS, WHERE EAGLES DARE, ICE STATION ZEBRA
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2003, 03:05:13 PM »

DR JRand, have you bought 2001 yet? If not, be sure you order the 2001 that is part of the Stanley Kubrick Collection. (It says The Stanley Kubrick Collection in a blue banner across the top of the snapper case. NOT The Kubrick Collection but The Stanley Kubrick Collection.) It's the only release (of several) that has an anamorphic widescreen transfer. The other releases look fine but they were merely letterboxed without the anamorphic enhancement.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 03:07:10 PM by Matt H. »

Andrea

« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2003, 03:10:17 PM »

Happy birthday TOM OV OZ. If my scotland plans for next year don't work, I may end up down under:)

Isn't it interesting how close to the U.S. border most Canadian cities are????!!!!!

:)

well, you guys are climatically warmer, but we have better beer, lower drinking ages, better prices, friendlier people and a welcoming attitude towards anyone who wants to leave the US to avoid fighting in a war. And legal weed.

Gee, have you ever noticed how close the US is to most Canadian cities?

(kisses of course)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 03:17:01 PM by Andrea »

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2003, 03:21:23 PM »

DR Jennifer, I hope your diet is almost over with as there are some PB M&Ms making their long trek to Canada!

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2003, 04:00:28 PM »

DR Jennifer, I hope your diet is almost over with as there are some PB M&Ms making their long trek to Canada!

Yeah! Don't worry I will eat them.

Hey it's not that long a trek!

Well it's been 6 days. And I have to do 14. So one more week.

Has anybody else been having a horrible time getting onto this board. It took me 10 minutes and when I clicked "new" it brought me to page 3 (when I should have been on page 1).

I gotta go now to watch Trading Spaces and then Survivor.

We are having a huge blizzard. And I had to drive home it the early stages. It was horrible (I should have left my aunt's earlier). I was checking for snow every 15 minutes. But it just sort of came out of nowhere.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2003, 04:06:19 PM »

Thanks to all those who gave me tips on how to use the various extra functions. I still love my Mac, no matter what. I'll try some out now as I write and see what happens.
It's cold, rainy and dreary today, unusual for LA. I was out doing various things and decided to get a caramel latte, as caramel always makes me think of childhood days in bed and instantly warms[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move] me up.
So I got a big take-out cup and drank a bit as I drove, then placed it in the cup holder. As I parked at Trader Joe's, I lifted it up for another sip --- and the whole thing spilled all over my front seat. Including over a piece of mail belonging to my landlady which I accidentally got (and opened, thinking it was mine) and was carrying around to give to her.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2003, 04:07:46 PM »

...I don't think it's working.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up