Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWER-ING INFERNO  (Read 27234 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:THE TOWER-ING INFERNO
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »

"Aventurera" is here!

But the DVD description on the back of the package is in Spanish and I see nothing about subtitles. And the cover art is different than the one on Amazon. It's just a head and shoulders portrait of the star...no hair pulling---nothing lurid. I'm afraid to open it in case they won't let me return it if there are no subtitles.

Then again, maybe it doesn't need them. Some films speak for themselves.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2006, 09:44:59 AM »

During my late grade school and early middle school years I lived in the small town of Central Point. I would often ride my bike to the drug store, which was across the parking lot from the grocery store, it was there that I discovered the magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland. I would also often pick up Aurora models...vintage cars usually.

There was, and I believe still is, a usued bookstore in downtown Medford. Don't recall the name but it was very much the dusty old place you would see in movies. My buddy Dave and I would go there a lot during our high school years and look around. I remember picking up the 1950s sci-fi novel THE BIG EYE, and some mystery novel from the early 1900s which read like an old movie serial.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »

Uh, oh, Edisaurus, there is a non-subtitled version around.

You will want the one by Cinemateca with that photo of her being pulled up the stairway.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »

And now for photos of Tom and Colin's visit to Portland, Oregon!

Here is DR Jane and her son Bryan meeting Tom and Colin at Union Station.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 09:54:55 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 09:56:29 AM »

Colin and Tom at Pioneer Square in downtown Portland.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2006, 09:58:33 AM »

Here Tom and Colin pose with a portrait of their new heroine Mary See of See's Candy fame.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:12:46 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2006, 09:59:54 AM »

Here DR Jane shares some of her loot from the candy store with Tom and Colin.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:00:22 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2006, 10:01:48 AM »

Tom enjoying the taste treat (or is he just pretending? You decide).

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2006, 10:04:07 AM »

At DR JMK's home environment. That is JMK himself in the foreground and his DW, Betsy's, backside to the right of the photo.

Colin is visiting with BeeJee the dog whilst Tom and Jane attempt to remain in the background, away from the photographer.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 10:13:41 AM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2006, 10:06:12 AM »

DR Tomovoz suddenly realizing that DR Jane is not the blonde 17 year old she pretends to be on the internet!

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2006, 10:08:28 AM »

A calm peaceful moment with the two Aussie visitors and myself.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »

...and then someone makes a disparaging remark about reality television and DH Colin, sensing a rumble is about to begin, heads for the hills!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2006, 10:12:37 AM »

If there are better posts than these on all the Internet, I have yet to see them and that is why I love this here site.

My favorite hangouts have been written about lovingly in the Kritzer books - Index Radio and Records, Wallich's Music City, the Wilshire and Fairfax May Company, the La Cienega miniature golf course, Marty's Bike and Candy Shop - there's nothing like these jernts today - nothing.  

When Together Again moved from LACC we played at a small theater on the Golden Mall - that was in 1982, I think - it was a weird vibe, but there were really interesting stores there, especially the bookstores that Pogue mentions.

I appreciate the responses to my impassioned query of yesterday, some of which make sense.  I do know that some people I know have chosen the paperback versions via amazon - and I do know when sales are happening there.  Again, if finances are an issue and anyone wants to read the books they haven't gotten all they have to do is send me a PM or e-mail and it will all work out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »

Is TomovOz coming to LA???

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2006, 10:14:45 AM »

...and then someone makes a disparaging remark about reality television and DH Colin, sensing a rumble is about to begin, heads for the hills!

Wow!  Shiney face alert!

Mikey, fantastic photos!

I have been so remiss and lousy about thanking all the DRs for their wonderful photos of just about everything!  Thank you, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2006, 10:14:45 AM »

Re the last two books not being on the site here, I simply cannot get our Mr. Mark Bakalor to do any changes - I've tried, but he is very busy and it just never happens.  I'd like to have a link to kritzerland.com and have asked several times, but I guess it's just not to be.  I've also tried to find someone to take over the site but apparently the way in which it's designed makes that very difficult.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »

At least it's yesteryear in the translation of the Villon "where are the snows of yesteryear!"  

MAIS OU SONT LES NEIGES D'ANTAN?

It's from Francois Villon's "La Ballade des Dames du Temps Jadis," 1461 or thereabouts.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2006, 10:21:22 AM »

When I was in college, the Kosher Country in Whitehead Hall was THE place to hang out.  I could always rely on someone I knew being there, usually with a table full of welcoming fellow students.  And I had worked at the Kosher Country in Coney Island for a little while, so i usually got a friendly greeting (although no free food) from some of the people behind the counter, since they went back and forth between the two locations.

FJL

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »

I wonder if Jose might be able to fill us in on some of the "special interest" stores that might have been used as favorite hangouts.  (Just kidding, Jose, really!!!)

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2006, 10:24:55 AM »

Neighborhood drugstores - the one of my childhood was Cody Pharmacy, which shared its name with my high school.  While it still had a soda fountain, whenever Mr. Hoffman, RPh., filled a prescription he gave you his prescription for an ice cream cone  ;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2006, 10:28:25 AM »

I gotta finish STRANGE PIECE OF PARADISE; my next book is about to be published!

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2006, 10:28:54 AM »

At least it's yesteryear in the translation of the Villon "where are the snows of yesteryear!"  

Ah! I was referencing "Where are the snowdens of yesteryear"! Now I know the root. Leave it to a true preservationist to know the geneology of a quote!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »

Here is DR Jane and her son Bryan meeting Tom and Colin at Union Station.

I'm sorry, but DR looks nowhere *near* old enough to call this young man her son.

Nice pictures, everyone, particularly that action pose!

Edisaurus

« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:06 AM »

Uh, oh, Edisaurus, there is a non-subtitled version around.
You will want the one by Cinemateca with that photo of her being pulled up the stairway.

Thanks---I knew you would know! I wrote Caiman but never heard back. When you search for the title on their site, it shows the cover with the stairway shot. That one is listed for $18. The one I purchased listed at $5.43. I guess subtitles must be EXPENSIVE!

(We're getting ready to do an Italian subtitled version of S&V.)

Edisaurus

« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2006, 10:39:54 AM »

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2006, 10:44:28 AM »

DR MBarnum - thanks for the great photos from the HHW gathering in the city of my birth!  How I would love to have been there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2006, 10:45:22 AM »

Ah yes, DR EDISAURUS - you have a non-subtitled DVD.  

DR CP - you are SO right, but then, I NEVER sell a book.  I keep them always or give them away.  Usually the former.

The Rexall Drug Store in MY town has been many things since - clothing store, dentist's office, photography shop.  It is now a Zydeco's Cajun Restaurant and Bar - "Fresh Crawfish our specialty"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Edisaurus

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2006, 10:48:28 AM »

And I had worked at the Kosher Country in Coney Island for a little while

I think you might love Ric Burns' documentary "Coney Island". It's one of my favorites and finally has been released on DVD, although I don't think there are any extras. (Caiman.com has a good price on it.)

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2006, 10:49:49 AM »

...One tip:  They don't pay well for books you want to sell....

Our son's first bitter lesson in economics took place at Half-Price Books.  When he was about 10 and had outgrown a lot of his books, we told him he could take them in and keep the money.  The dollar signs in his eyes soon became cent signs and he was very disappointed!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up