Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TOWER-ING INFERNO  (Read 27574 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE TOWER-ING INFERNO
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 07:12:11 AM »

Hmmmm.....because I lived in the COUNTRY a lot when I was growing up, I couldn't get to any stores.  There was a small Five and Dime in a little town that we visited a few times a month that had lots of toys and kids' books.  Now and then I bought one, if I couldn't find a record I liked.

I still like Half Price Books - if I go in the morning BEFORE a lot of people get there.  Interesting things.

Shopping online is what I do mostly now....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »

We have a cat at the World of Wisdom Bookstore - and new books and used books, and special orders.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 07:14:24 AM »

BK re: your questions from yesterday.

As to why nobody on your friends list is clicking on your books, well I think DR FJL might be right. People don't click on things they have to pay for.

But just because people aren't clicking on the actual links does not mean that they are not going to the site.  I know when i get links i almost never click on them at the time the email is sent. But if i want to view the site i just take note of the website and go there later (but not necessarily from the link).

Also I think part of what DR Cillaliz said is true. I think there are so many expenses these days that a lot of people have to be really careful what they buy.  But i guess that was not really your question. You want to know why people who can afford it are not getting it.  Perhaps there are certain topics that don't interest people. Or perhaps they are getting it from amazon (where you cannot trace it).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »

Page Two World of Wisdom Dance.....where you get a 10% discount when the Sun is in your Sign.  ;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2006, 07:21:44 AM »

Favorite hang-outs:
In high school I spent many hours at the Bluth Bros Theatre, which BK writes of in the Kritzer books. God, how I loved that place! I am still awed by the talent that went through there. In my 20's, I frequented a bookstore called Papa Bach, on Santa Monica Blvd in LA, which, like all good bookstores, had a resident cat. It was also the only place at the time where you could sit and read and not feel pressured to buy. How I miss places like that!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2006, 07:33:48 AM »

BK,
I didn't realize that each of your books had its own personal site. And REWIND isn't listed with the Kritzer books on this site. I can see where this could be confusing. Hainsie/Kimlets can always contact you, of course, but others could miss it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:04 AM »

Edisaurus,
What makes you think that we Hainsie/Kimlets are NOT writing dirty books? :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:07 AM »

Good morning!

Our cold weather hasn't hit yet. I think it moves in tomorrow. Anyway, today looks beautiful. Leaves are falling, but the sun is out and the sky is blue. Gorgeous.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2006, 07:36:57 AM »

Now that I think about it, I didn't have any hangouts when I was young. My father was a pharmacist and had his own drugstore/soda fountain in Ohio when I was young, but he didn't have the mentality to make it very profitable. He was always very generous to people in need...so generous that the store didn't survive and he went into the service to support our family. If i had been older, this would have been my hangout. Afer that we moved all the time, so it was only when I came to Marietta that I felt I was a part of a community and able to hang out.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2006, 07:39:09 AM »

I forgot to mention last night in giving my opinion on TWENTY GOOD YEARS (the John Lithgow/Jeffrey Tambor comedy) that the marvelous Kevin Chamberlin is in the cast and was totally wasted in the pilot as a court baliff. Perhaps they'll use his superb comic talents in a future episode, but I was sorely disapppointed with the absolute nothing they gave him to do in the first episode.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »

Edisaurus,

Especially since we know HOW to now.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2006, 07:40:20 AM »

I forgot to mention last night in giving my opinion on TWENTY GOOD YEARS (the John Lithgow/Jeffrey Tambor comedy) that the marvelous Kevin Chamberlin is in the cast and was totally wasted in the pilot as a court baliff. Perhaps they'll use his superb comic talents in a future episode, but I was sorely disapppointed with the absolute nothing they gave him to do in the first episode.

So you can imagine how HE must have felt!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2006, 07:40:59 AM »

There were several drug stores in my hometown where high schoolers would meet every afternoon after school. My class went to City Drug (though I often had band practice and didn't go). None of the record stores in my town were really large enough for folks to congregate.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2006, 07:41:57 AM »

So you can imagine how HE must have felt!  ;D

Of course, though a steady job and paycheck are somewhat of a compensation, I'm sure.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2006, 07:43:17 AM »

My ex-partner had expressed a desire to watch X-MEN 3 with me when the DVD finally arrived, so I may be watching it this afternoon instead of the two programs from last night that I recorded. If this afternoon doesn't suit, then I'll get to CSI: NY and PROJECT RUNWAY.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2006, 07:56:00 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, many-meetinged, and Towered-out BK --

I thought that it was ironic that the column title ended up being "The Tower-ing Inferno" ..... in light of the airplane accident in NYC yesterday.

for the TOD :

I know that it is mentioned by "Benjamin,"  but I also used to love to go to Wallich's Music City in Hollywood.  You could ask for a record, take it to a listening booth, and make your selection at your own pace.  And as you and I have sung in a booth at Musso & Franks..... "It's Music City, Sunset and Vine..."  

(sung to the unlikely tune of "Rockabye Baby!"

Edisaurus

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:52 AM »

Edisaurus,

Aha! Well, based on what I just read, it sounds like fun!

I never read these particular type of books during the time the story took place, but it struck me how these "dirty books" as described would now be considered as tame as a Harlequin romance. "He clasped her in his steel bands and crushed her mouth under his." "He stiffened his resolve". LOL!

My ex-mother-in-law used to read these all the time, even though they were as formulaic as BK described in his story. At one point, she heard that Harlequin was looking for new stories, and talked my ex and me into trying to write one, with herself as our technical advisor.

We were instructed by Harlequin to write 3 chapters with an outline for the rest of the chapters. Part of the formula was that the heroine was usually parentless (thus able to be "rescued" by the hero) and there were conflicts and misunderstandings that kept them apart until the last chapter. We thought: "Hey, this is easy!"

We did what was requested, but never heard anything back for months and months. Finally we got a pink slip with no explanation---just a very curt dismissal.

A few months later my ex m-i-l showed up on our doorstep with a Harlequin romance. She was steaming! She was holding a book that contained, almost word for word, what we had written. Some of the details, like names and places, had been changed, but the dialogue was almost verbatim. For the first three chapters, that is. Then it followed our plot line but without our dialogue. I looked up the writer's bio on the book and she just happened to live in Don Mills, Ontario, home of Harlequin. What a coinky-dink! Was somebody pilfering the mailroom?

We never thought it would go anywhere so we didn't bother copywriting what we'd written. So while m-i-l was steamed, we were both tickled that we'd written something that somebody may have been "inspired by". But we didn't enjoy it enough to try again...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »

Having a quick lunch with best friend John today, so I need to get offline and get cleaned up.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 08:05:55 AM »

Good morning. I'm a bit foggy this morning, but I'm at work.   I would much rather be home curled up with a good book, but since I just got back, I really need to be here.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 08:07:18 AM »

TOD - the soda fountain at Rexall Drug in my home town.  Edna would make us cherry Pepsis every day after school I always waited for my Dad to get off work and give me a ride home, so I wandered around, but spent the most time there

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2006, 08:08:40 AM »

Now I would have to say it's Pierce Street Coffee Works. Lots of fun and creative people hang out there.  I don't get to go as often as I'd like, but on weekends or days off, you just may find me there

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2006, 08:09:36 AM »

Back to work....oh joy

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »

Our Rexall Drugstore also had a soda fountain....but it was gone by the time I was in third grade or so.

Edisaurus

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2006, 08:56:18 AM »

Our Rexall Drugstore also had a soda fountain....but it was gone by the time I was in third grade or so.

My Dad's drugstore was also a Rexall with a soda fountain.

Where are the Rexalls of yesteryear?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:14 AM »

My Dad's drugstore was also a Rexall with a soda fountain.

Where are the Rexalls of yesteryear?

Mais ou sont les Rexalls d'antan?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2006, 09:08:24 AM »

So many readers evoking so many memories for me!

Woody, I remember The Golden Mall in Burbank very well.  I used to work in the Book City there.  And right down the street was Book Castle, another terrific book store whose merchandise used to swell my library.

Elmore, Shillito's was our department store, despite the fact that there was also a Pogue's Department store in downtown Cincy.  My father was an architect for Federated Department Stores which owned Shillito's, so the family got a 20% discount...thus all our shopping was done there.  I also remember Willis which had hard-to-find show records.

JRand, when I first moved to Dallas in the mid-seventies, I lived right around the corner from the very first Half-Price Book Store on McKinny Ave. and was an habitue there.  I'm glad to find them now in Cincy and Louisville and come November, we'll have one right here in Lexington.  Since they've become a chain, they are not as marvelous and eclectic as they were in those early days in Dallas when they were just a one of a kind original used bookstore.  But in these days of bland bookstores, they are still an anomaly and unique.  One tip:  They don't pay well for books you want to sell.

My favourite place growing up in Cincinnati was Main Street where there were three great used bookstores within a block of each other...Bert Smith's Acres of Books, Neville's Antiques, and Ohio Bookstore.  Both Acres and Ohio each had five floors of books and what a treasure hunt one could have there.  Most of my allowance was spent in these places.  

The only one left standing now is Ohio Bookstore.  I was there a few weekends ago, gathering up a hoard of inexpensive goodies.  The two guys that worked there when I used to go in high school, still are there and run the place.  One was probably around my age when he started working there in high school.  They recognized me and we had a pleasant chat.  They still carry old magazines and sheet music as well as books.  They used to have old 78 records as well.  It's still a great store where you can always find a nice surprise.

Oddly enough, when I moved to California, I discovered another Bert Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach.  It was the same Bert Smith from Cincinnati.  He had apparently moved to Long Beach at some point and had sold the book store in Cincy, which retained the name.  The store in Long Beach was also great and, as far as I know, still there.

BK, sad to hear about Tower Records.  I remember my first visit to it after I moved to LA and I was agog.  I too recall its wild and eccentric stock and its friendly and knowledgeable help.  But, as you say, over the years, it's gotten more and more generic and began stocking the same of crap that all the other big chains do.  I can personally attest to the shrinking of their standards and vintage singers in the last few years.  And you can never find the DVDs that you can find in Amoeba.

It's even happening...to a lesser degree...to Canterbury Records in Pasadena, which was a great store.

When I moved out to LA in '78, Hollywood Blvd, probably had eight-to-ten great used bookstores from Highland down to Gower.  If Book City has finally croaked its last gasp, there are now probably none!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

How exciting about your new place, DR George!  After 25 (!) years in the same place I sometimes yearn for a change and the excitement of moving someplace new.   I have to keep telling myself how lucky I am that the joint is paid in full and be happy with that.

Thanks, Danise!  I've been renting since I moved out of my parents' house (in 91 or 92) and I know I couldn't have afforded to buy something back then, but I can now look forward to the day that it'll all be paid for. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2006, 09:17:18 AM »

Thank-you, George, for yesterday's lyric.

Anytime! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »

My first stop on my first visit to LA was Tower Records. The editor I used to assist knew that was exactly the right place to go my first day there. Weird Al happened to be shopping there; we had interviewed him a few years ago and this was my first inkling that it was no big deal to run into celebrities in LA. (Al was extremely nice and down to earth and pretended to remember me.) Then I went to Aron's and saw David Byrne shopping with a beautiful Asian woman and child. This was before everyone started shoppping on the internet. I bet most famous people just order from the internet now!

I would much rather go to a store, especially one that has listening stations. Tower here still has that, but only to listen to the CD's *they* choose. Warehouse used to be good---they would let you listen to anything and then rewrap it, but eventually the management put a stop to that. Maybe that's why they're out of business now!

I have bought albums just on the cover art alone (I used to love those Claude Bolling anthropomorphic album covers!) but I doubt that would ever happen shopping on the internet. I love to have the CD packaging, the smell of the ink and the texture of the paper used---buying an album on iTunes is just not the same! And if you only buy certain songs, you're missing out on all those other songs you would have discovered had you bought the album. Convenience isn't always a great thing.

We had a great huge record store here in Atlanta in the '70's called Peaches. The record bins were peach crates, and outside, they had these immense paintings on the exteriors depicting different album cover art. I was sad when that closed.

Amoeba in LA is the only record store that has excited me in a long time...

Edisaurus

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2006, 09:33:30 AM »

Mais ou sont les Rexalls d'antan?

Quel est antan ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up