Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE  (Read 27625 times)

Tomovoz

Re:2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »

DR Jane: My name change was just because I thought it was a good idea - WFO had used "Tomovoz" and  it did sound a touch "romantic and exotic". I was hoping for erotic but you can't have everything depsite the "drag" names from yesterday's posts. Belately (I wrote bleatedly first but there were no sheep) thanks again for the photos - great to see all the family.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2004, 12:28:58 PM »

DR Jane - Your son spent new Year's eve in Budapest? Bet he had a good time. I do miss being among Hungarians. It's strange to leave your homeland when you're young. Sort of like shedding one skin and putting on another. When I'm with Hungarians (Hungarians I like, that is) I feel different. More at home in my skin. In Boulder, one of my best friends was a Hungarian musician. She combined two of my favorite things in the world - Music and Magyar.

I felt that way just leaving California and moving around the east coast. LOL

Keith is a quarter Magyar.  His grandmother came to America in 1914 from Ujvidek—which is now Novi Sad, Yugoslavia.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2004, 12:29:05 PM »

Bruce, I am absolutely fascinated by THE SWIMMER and sort of stop and watch it anytime I happen to catch it on.  Oddly enough, I don't ever recall catching it from the beginning.

Last night the lovely wife and I watched a wonderful production of THE SEAGULL with Frank Langella, Blythe Danner, Lee Grant, and Kevin McCarthy.  Then saw the new year in with the South Park Marathon going on the Comedy Channel, with a quick slip over to Dick Clark and the Ball-dropping.  Did I actually see Dick Clark kissing the never-seen Mrs. Clark last night?

All this because I never could find Guy Lombardo last night!

Today I shall loll around like so much fish.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2004, 12:30:18 PM »

DR Jane: My name change was just because I thought it was a good idea - WFO had used "Tomovoz" and  it did sound a touch "romantic and exotic". I was hoping for erotic but you can't have everything depsite the "drag" names from yesterday's posts. Belately (I wrote bleatedly first but there were no sheep) thanks again for the photos - great to see all the family.

It does flow more easily.  Thanks for the explanation.

Tomovoz

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2004, 12:34:04 PM »

DR Danise: My female dog "Fosca" is very prone to thunderstorm anxiety. I shall try the "Rescue Remedy" on her next time. Our VET has given us valium for her and then suggests we take it if it doesn't work on the dog! RR is advertised on the radio here so I must check it out. I guess I could make Fosca a good cup of chamile tea as well. I assume some dogs are mores sensitive to changes in air pressure and can detect storms and high winds hours before they eventuate. Our male dog "Magnus" only thinks about food.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2004, 01:02:40 PM »

Yes, The Swimmer is a one-off totally strange movie that I am addicted to.

Jason: I think Noel was just stating an opinion, not criticizing your posting the phote.

What in tarnation is a phote?  I'm thinking about food now, and perhaps when I've decided what I want I'll take a phote of it.

Just got off the phone with Harvey Schmidt, who tells me he's working non-stop on the Kritzer Time cover art, and that I'll have it no later than the end of next week - possibly sooner.  VERY exciting.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2004, 01:16:42 PM »

Great News about the Kritzer Time cover, Bruce!

After I went to sleep last night, I woke up.  And you know what?  It was raining.  It was snowing yesterday and now it's raining.  AND I have to go to Seattle to visit my ex-boyfriend (the long distance didn't make for a good relationship).  Anyway, we're still friends, so that's good.

As for my top DVDs of the year.  I'm not limiting it to just 10...so here are my top favorites (that I actually own):

Chicago
Far From Heaven
Finding Nemo
Futurama (the complete first season)
Futurama (the complete second season)
Kiss Me, Kate (with the WSMA Brent Barrett)
The Lord of the Rings:  The Two Towers Extended Edition
Scrooge
Soap (the complete first season)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (the movie)
What's Up, Doc?
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Those are my 12 favorite DVDs that I got this year.

Now, off to Seattle (with a stop at Krispy Kreme).  Have a good day, everyone!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 01:18:35 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

What to eat, what to eat, that is the question.  Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to have a big sandwich or to have fast food or to go somewhere, well, there's the rub.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2004, 01:22:25 PM »

I love THE SWIMMER. It's totally mesmerizing. When I first saw it I wanted to replicate what Lancaster did, 'cept I was living in Canada (not too many pools) and I hate getting wet. Oh well. ...Why oh why are they remaking it???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2004, 01:27:05 PM »

They're remaking The Swimmer?  A thirty-five year old box-office disaster that happens to be an almost perfect film?  Why indeed.  Hollywood is truly truly bankrupt and I don't know that it will ever recover from its current malaise.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2004, 01:32:27 PM »

Bruce, why don't you have a small sandwich and a small side of...something small. BIG is not what you want to be thinking, nor is fast food. Eat in as much as you can.

YOU CAN DO IT BRUCE! I have faith in you that you can achieve your goals. Don't give up now, you're THIS much closer to making it! Think about how good it will feel to feel better about yourSELF.

This has been a pumped up message from Swishy.

Ron: The flowy black pants could also be called Swishy black pants, but Swishy was SO last season. Pants that are baggy throughout, yet tailored, are le look. They must f-l-o-o-o-o-o-w, thus the basis of the term "flowy pants". This does not apply to jeans. Baggy jeans should be outlawed. Slightly loose jeans on guys is fine, but when you can't see their feet, there is a problem. The same goes for too tight, men and women. On men, unless you are sex-on-toast, I PROMISE it doesn't look good. On women, it doesn't look good, period. Jeans should not look like they have been painted on.

See what I do with a simple word? I turn it into a rant. I should work on that.
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2004, 01:33:11 PM »

But what to eat, what to eat?  To eat, perhance to dream.  What am I, Shakespeare all of a sudden?  I need foodstuffs.  Well, guess I'll get dressed and venture out and decide what I shall consume.

Jason

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2004, 01:33:48 PM »

BK: I know he was just stating his opinion. I'm jiggy wid' it. It's all good...

As for food: I'm eating a meatball sandwich from Subway and some Frito's corn chips. Quite tasty.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 01:46:07 PM by Jason »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »

They're remaking The Swimmer?  A thirty-five year old box-office disaster that happens to be an almost perfect film?  Why indeed.  Hollywood is truly truly bankrupt and I don't know that it will ever recover from its current malaise.

Um, I think that's a bit of a broad generalization, Dear BK.  True, when things like this year's The Cat in the Hat make it to the screen, one shakes one's head and worries, indeed.  Occasionally, genuinely good work does make its way out of the Hollywood miasma.  (Mystic River is a good example of that in the year just past.)  And, thankfully, there are those independent filmmakers who defy the odds and manage to get their films, often of very high quality, into distribution.  (True, often it is very narrow distribution, but the films do get out there.)

Along those lines, the dichotomy between studio films (made strictly for commercial gain) and independent films (driven by an artistic animus) seems to be growing.  I assume your comments refer to the studio machine.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2004, 01:40:32 PM »

Why don't you head over to Art's and get a big bowl of chicken soup?  Are you a matzoball kind of guy?  Or kreplach?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2004, 01:44:31 PM »

Yes, mostly studios, although independent films are not what they used to be either - just too slick and polished and obvious calling cards.  I'm being general, of course - there are exceptions both studio and independent-wise.  I like matzoh balls but I'm not in the mood for soup.  I might get a turkey san from Jerry's or I might go to the Subway (very low fat gram count there for many sandwiches) - I'm going out now and will come back with some edible or other.

Kerry

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2004, 01:56:59 PM »

Since I'm about a day or so behind (as usual), my hope for 2004 is that it will be better than 2003.   2003 had some wonderful and exhilirating moments in it; it also had a lot of lows (and very low lows, at that---more so than most years).    Was 2003 better than  2002?  Was 2002 better than 2001?  Come to think of it, the fact that I've survived the last 5 years or so is amazing.  Luckily, I'm an optimistic person (or at least part of me is).
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2004, 01:58:26 PM »

Jeez, that last post sounds grim.  Things aren't really grim, but I've never been fond of January 1st (or Dec 31st, for that matter).
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2004, 02:04:34 PM »

Well, back from picking up my friend at the airport and our early dinner. I am now free from holiday obligations and festivities. I've loved it, but I'm SO glad it's behind me. I like that feeling of security that comes with the tried and true. I guess I'm just an old fogey, but I'm looking forward to just relaxing the next couple of nights without having to set foot out of my house.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2004, 02:05:16 PM »

I've just washed my hair for the first time this year. Found no men in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2004, 02:09:38 PM »

Hollywood bankrupt? I've suspected as much with the remakes recently of PSYCHO and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. How and why perfect films need any kind of remake or rethinking is beyond my feeble brain. All I know is I won't be seeing them (and I say that even though I love Meryl Streep, but I will not sit through a remake of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE which I have a perfect version of it here that I can see any time on DVD.)

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2004, 02:10:45 PM »

RESCUE REMEDY is the way to go!
Our Minx is deathly afraid of storms, fireworks, gunshots (except she love the opening 20 minutes of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, as she'll curl up along the front row of speakers and stare into the center one while it's on), but a friend in Wisconsin got her the RESCUE REMEDY.  Ever since her first dose, she has become very docile and nonchalant whenever storms are brewing, fireworks are a-flaring and hunters are being stupid.
Run, don't walk, to your nearest apothecary and get the dog some RESCUE REMEDY!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2004, 02:12:48 PM »

I realized that I haven't posted all year!

Who are these Golddiggers that have been mentioned the last couple of days?  Are they from Paris, 1933, 1935 ir 1937 Warner Bros or from Dean Martin's show in the 70s?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2004, 02:13:51 PM »

I realized that I haven't posted all year!

Who are these Golddiggers that have been mentioned the last couple of days?  Are they from Paris, 1933, 1935 ir 1937 Warner Bros or from Dean Martin's show in the 70s?

One of them is from Virginia.

I hope that none of them are from Metalusia.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2004, 02:14:23 PM »

DR Jason: I am loving all those pictures you've been posting of NYC. I especially love the theatre marquees. Great work!

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2004, 02:18:45 PM »

For those who didn't buy the American Film Theatre offerings on DVD this past year, I just read that Trio will begin showing them on January 17th at 9 p.m., starting with A DELICATE BALANCE. I bought a few, but this will be my chance to record the remainder of them I was too cheap to buy, and if I like them enough, I'll spring for the commercial versions.

MBarnum

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2004, 02:31:19 PM »

Jane and SwishySarah, I say pishtosh! Yes, you heard me, pishtosh...those photos of both of you were lovely, and gorgeous, and glamorous!

If the swishy look is out and the baggy look is in, will you now be known as BaggySarah? It just don't have the same ring to it!

Here is my list of favorite 2003 DVD releases:
THE DESPERATE HOURS (1955 version)
BORN FREE
SONG OF BERNADETTE
HOUSE OF WAX/MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM
THE SADIST (this cheapo movie really surprised me in    how really good it is!)
YOU BET YOUR LIFE: the lost episodes
ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS (the pic quality on this release was not too hot, but I love the movie so I was satisfied)
UP IN THE AIR

There were many other releases from 2003 that I have yet to purchase so I did not include them on my list.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2004, 02:37:10 PM »

DR MBarnum, thanks for reminding me about HOUSE OF WAX/MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM. I, too, considered it one of the year's best and most welcome releases. My friend John gave me THE DESPERATE HOURS, but it was backordered and just gave it to me today. I suspect it would have made my list had I had a chance to watch it yet. I love the film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2004, 02:47:43 PM »

Decided to make some tuna pasta salad - easy and I'm very fond of it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2004, 02:48:20 PM »

Only problem being that it takes about three hours for it to get cold.  So, I'll probably have to snack on something in the meantime.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up