Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE  (Read 27354 times)

Jed

Re:2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE
« Reply #120 on: January 01, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

Hello one and all, all and one.  I had a delightfully delightful New Year's Eve last night with a group of my theatre friends.  One of them is a dance teacher, so we hold the party in her dance studio, and all works quite well.  Lots of fun conversation, various snack foods, a couple games of Scattergories, and then some sledding on the hill across the street from the dance studio just after midnight.  Hopefully my friend, Ken, will get me a picture soon for me to post.

Slept until 1pm today (was up till 4), and am now partaking of the "I Love the 80s" marathon on VH1 (which I did last January 1st, as well).  Only 2 inches of snow here today.  We had 13 on New Years Day last year, so I won't complain one bit about this today!

Thanks to Jason and Jane for the wonderful pictures!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2004, 05:11:25 PM »

Whew!!!  :o

So many posts and wonderful pictures from yesterday and today.  Thanks DRJASON, I asked for the Music Box and Phantom!  Appreciate the time you took to take and post the photo...and all the great theatre marquees!  When I am in New York, or any BIG city I always take a picture of the theatre!  

DR Jane I am not sure if my parents were Myrna Loy fans or not.  They wanted a five-letter girl's name that ended in "a" to go with Paula....  Of course by the time Molly came along all that planning had gone to H-E- double Hockey Sticks!  And thanks for the picture of the snow.....it is going to be 56 degrees here tomorrow - so hopefully we will have an unseasonable weekend.

DRMATTH nice new picture - and I really like the pic of your brother and you and your doggie.

The party was tres jolie...tres tres jolie...but I was sorry to miss all the fun here at HHW.

I will scan and post some pictures of pets this weekend!

But I do have one last thing to say:

I love all the family names....thanks for sharing.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2004, 05:11:44 PM »

I just returned from a week in Bayfield, Ontario. It was a good break. I got some work done, took long walks with Archie the spaniel, and recharged my batteries. Bayfield is a quiet village on Lake Huron, not too far from Stratford (Stratford Festival). It's lively though not touristy in the summer, and sleepy in the winter.

I returned to at least 1,200 HHW posts, and the big decision was whether to start at the beginning or the end. Being a Libra, I'm alternating between the old and the new, working my way down to the middle.

Happy belated birthday DR Maya - and best wishes for a great year.

DR Jason - I loved the Broadway pictures.

And all other DRs - thanks for the schmoozes and the laughter.

A little laundry, a little dinner, and I'll be back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2004, 05:13:25 PM »

Oh:

House of Wax/Mystery of the House of Wax
Beginning of the End
Where Eagles Dare
Bonjour Tristesse
Seabiscuit
You Bet Your Life
8 Women
Crime of Passion
All About Eve/Sunset Boulevard/Titanic (1953)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2004, 05:46:31 PM »

Lovely lists.  Man, I haven't seen Auntie Mame in a 'coon's age.  I bought the DVD when it came out, then just never got around to it, other than checking the transfer.  It's a lovely film, gorgeous transfer, and Miss Russell is captivating, as is the rest of the cast.  You can see how Jerry Herman just went through the play and picked the places for the musical numbers - no thought even required, they're all built in.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »

Happy New Year to you, too, Noel. Sorry for offending your eyes with such an eyesore.

Today turned out to be a day for appreciating good 21st Century architecture, as we went to downtown L.A. to get up close and personal with Disney Hall and the Cathedral.  The former is quite sexy (hope to see the inside someday).  The latter deals with a puzzle that's long fascinated me: How can you build something that conveys a sense of holyness while using modern architectural means?  That Cathedral doesn't succeed in many ways, but, in some, it does.  And, some years ago, you wouldn't have expected me to refer to anything built in Los Angeles as anything other than an eyesore.

Happy New Year.  And happy new architecture!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2004, 06:05:17 PM »

Today turned out to be a day for appreciating good 21st Century architecture, as we went to downtown L.A. to get up close and personal with Disney Hall and the Cathedral.  The former is quite sexy (hope to see the inside someday).  The latter deals with a puzzle that's long fascinated me: How can you build something that conveys a sense of holyness while using modern architectural means?  That Cathedral doesn't succeed in many ways, but, in some, it does.  And, some years ago, you wouldn't have expected me to refer to anything built in Los Angeles as anything other than an eyesore.

Happy New Year.  And happy new architecture!

I agree with you on the Walt Disney Concert Hall.  It is nothing short of thrilling inside and out.

As for the cathedral, I must vehemently disagree with you, Dear Reader Noel.  It is an eyesore, as far as I am concerned.  It is a forbidding fortress from the outside, its plaza is a completely uninviting hardscape, and the interior is chilly, at best.

For those of you Dear Readers who have not seen the cathedral, there are some photographs of it in this website:  http://www.olacathedral.org/index.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 06:24:14 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2004, 06:23:11 PM »

JRand53--that picture "Happy Everything".  I have that on my computer at work.  I got it off of webshots.  Where did you get it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2004, 06:30:27 PM »

HmmmmmmDRDANISE....  It had been submitted to one of the YahooGroups I belong to.  I saved it and deleted the message, so I am not sure which group it was...LOL.

AUNTIE MAME - RR is Mame Dennis.  I love that movie.....it makes me laugh every time I watch it.  I hope there is no disagreement about the statuesque and superb superstructure and architecture of Miss Rosalind Russell!!

Michael

« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2004, 06:40:18 PM »

Does anyone else remember those three MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT specials Sylvia Fine (Kaye)  did on PBS a couple of decades ago? The first one was, for me, the best one, especially her raves about COMPANY and seeing Richard Chamberlain (playing Bobby) singing "Barcelona" with Bernadette Peters.

I met and worked with the director of that show and he told me that the entire show of Company was taped. He was supposed to give me a copy but couldn't find it and when he tried to get a copy of Sylvia Fine she said no.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2004, 07:11:10 PM »

Auntie Mame disproves the notion that a film that is "theatrical" cannot work.  Those fades with RR spotlighted are divine!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2004, 07:37:12 PM »

Morton DaCosta later used the same "fades" technique in the film of The Music Man.  Works very well.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2004, 07:52:38 PM »

Nice picture Jane, is that your backyard? I wonder if you are on my brother Allen's Fed Ex route? He does Ashland, mostly the countryside. He loves it because he is a real country boy!

We don’t know the name of our Fed Ex  guy, only the UPS guy.  We are outside Ashland, past Emigrant Lake.  Does he deliver out here?

Jane

« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2004, 07:55:17 PM »

MBarnum-wait.  Keith just walked in and said it is Allen.  Does he have white hair and a mustache?

Jane

« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2004, 08:06:31 PM »

I remember one Sylvia Fine and Danny Kaye special.  But not too much about it except that I enjoyed it.

The picture was taken from my front door.

Jay

« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2004, 08:08:14 PM »

I love small world stories.  Looks like one is about to be confirmed right here at HHW.com.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2004, 08:10:01 PM »

I think I've got the first MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT floating around somewhere in my videotape cabinet (taped off TV), but I haven't pulled it out in years. I should go searching for it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: January 01, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »

The second MUSICAL COMEDY TONIGHT was the one Danny Kaye was featured on doing his famous song from LADY IN THE DARK (and Lynn Redgrave doing the Gertrude Lawrence "Saga of Jenny" as I recall). It didn't go over as well as the first one had, so she took a totally different tack for the third one, and it was the weakest of all.

Still, any special the celebrates musical comedy in all its glory can't be all bad.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: January 01, 2004, 08:21:41 PM »

After I finished NORTH BY NORTHWEST tonight (and the "making of" documentary on the DVD), I pulled off the To-Watch shelf a DVD I bought a couple of years ago and hadn't watched since I saw it at the theater: AI: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE. I had a mixed reaction to the movie in the theater feeling much of it was strong and emotionally involving but that the last third seemed unfocused, meandering, and less involving. But I'm looking forward to seeing the whole thing again (I watched about 25 minutes tonight) and maybe gainging a new perspective on it after a few years.

Sometimes I do see films differently after a second, third, or fourth viewing. I'm hoping this second look will make me admire the film more. I think there is much there to admire if I can only ferret it out for myself.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 08:23:28 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: January 01, 2004, 08:25:11 PM »

And, yes, DR Ron, I am watching AI: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE in wonderful DTS sound. Is there any other choice when it's available?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: January 01, 2004, 08:26:11 PM »

I have made no secret that I'm a fan of AI, including its much-maligned last third.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: January 01, 2004, 08:42:41 PM »

I'm looking forward to that last third now, bk, to see if I can appreciate it more or find it better than my first impression left me remembering. I'll report here tomorrow once I finish it.

For now, I'm going to have to trot off to bed. Stayed up too late last night, and it's catching up to me now. Good night, all.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #142 on: January 01, 2004, 08:43:56 PM »

I had only read BK's last post, and I was about to say "You're a BIG American Idol fan? Really?!?"

And then I grew some common sense and decided to read up :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jed

« Reply #143 on: January 01, 2004, 08:45:43 PM »

I'll be interested to see if MattH thinks AI is better the second time around.  If so, I may consider giving it a second chance.  It really missed the mark for me when I saw it in the theater.  Horseracing, I suppose.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Laura II

« Reply #144 on: January 01, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »

Wow, I feel like I wasted the first day of the new year. I didn't do anything stunning. I mostly just listened to music after going to Mass and then to lunch with the family. Ah well, tomorrow will be busier, which will be nice.

Sarah--I've spent a couple hundred dollars over the past few days. I seriously think I have a shopping addiction.

Hi Mark and everyone else who is on!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jane

« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2004, 09:15:23 PM »

I love small world stories.  Looks like one is about to be confirmed right here at HHW.com.

Guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to find out.  We are watching “Two for Breakfast” then going to sleep.

Good night.

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2004, 09:16:34 PM »

I have made no secret that I'm a fan of AI, including its much-maligned last third.

Me, too!  Me, too!
Became a fan on first viewing, grew to appreciate it more and more with the dvd.
It is quite likely that A.I. features prominently in my favorite films of the past decade; it never fails to move me to tears AND cause me to think.
Tomovoz, my memory is a blur; did YOU also find A.I. to be a heart-rending experience?
As an adopted child, I found the first third of the film to be quite true to life in capturing the pre-adolescent feelings of an adoptee, brought to nighmarish life when "mother" does leave her "son" in the forest to fend for himself.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2004, 09:17:40 PM »

MBarnum-wait.  Keith just walked in and said it is Allen.  Does he have white hair and a mustache?

Yep, that is my brother! What a small world! LOL!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2004, 09:50:35 PM »

I just came online to apologize for being E & T today, but there is nobody here, so I guess I will check in tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 10:19:39 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2004, 09:57:39 PM »

Errant and truant on our first day of the New Year???  At least you made it in the nick of time, at least on this coast.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up