Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: I COULD WRITE A BOOK  (Read 35349 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:I COULD WRITE A BOOK
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »

TOD:

I posted this book cover previously, but I did pick it up primarily because its cover caught my eye.  It's about a drug addict who collects toys.  The Strange Change toy we talked about last week figures predominantly in the story.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2007, 07:47:42 AM »

TOD - Asking a librarian to name her/his favorite book jacket is like asking a parent to name a favorite child or a pet-lover to name a favorite dog or cat.  So, instead, I thought I'd tell y'all about some of the interesting things I've done with book jackets.  One winter, for a bulletin board, I cut them into snowflakes.  With an elementary teacher, who was helping me develop fun things for Kids in College to do at the academic library I managed, I made them into jigsaw puzzles for the children to take home.

BTW, BK's title for today's notes is the title of one of my favorite Rodgers and Hart songs  :D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2007, 07:53:04 AM »

The Rapture has its own press?  Kewl!!  Plenty to read after you've been evacuated.

And for those of us who aren't...there's always The Spitfire Grill!  ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »

PAGE THREE HERE'S ANOTHER BOOK I WOULD PICK UP FOR IT'S COVER ALONE DANCE:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »

Cablevision executives announced yesterday that the Madison Square Garden Theater will be henceforth known as The WaMu Theater.

And the cows are pleased.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 08:02:27 AM »

I has bit the bullet and ordered a DVR from my service provider, Cablevision.

I am expecting my entire life to be transformed.

;)

Damn those DRs.   Damn them all to hell!

You will never regret it Singdaw! It is a wonderful invention, believe me!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 08:06:04 AM »

His character did say it in a film, but he was quoting Groucho Marx.
The film being Annie Hall.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 08:07:01 AM »

Sending a whole bunch of excellent vibes and xylophones to BK.

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »

Thank you, DR DakotaCelt.  I'm not actually doing the presentation myself - we have a guest speaker from Cleveland.  I've just had to publicize the event, assemble the handouts, and make sure the room and AV are set up properly.  Then I get to sit back and enjoy the presentation myself.

Vibes to the guest speaker from Cleveland  ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 08:11:48 AM »

PAGE THREE HERE'S ANOTHER BOOK I WOULD PICK UP FOR IT'S COVER ALONE DANCE:

With dinosaurs for that really big band sound!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2007, 08:12:35 AM »

Hi all.  We are still in waiting mode.

I called a friend who lives around the block from me.  Her husband is going to feed the dogs for me and get the mail out of the mailbox.

I want to send vibes to DR Jane, DH Keith and DD Sherlock.  I'm so caught up in my own sorrows that I forget that others are in need of vibes too.  I will be hoping for the best possible outcome for today.

DR Danise, I'm glad you have a friend who can help out with the dogs and the mail.  That's one less thing to worry about. I'm sure they'll be waiting to give you lots of love when you do get home.  

Continued Vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

Cablevision executives announced yesterday that the Madison Square Garden Theater will be henceforth known as The WaMu Theater.

And the cows are pleased.

First they buy my mortgage then they name the Madison Square Garden Theater after themselves...coincidence?

singdaw

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2007, 08:18:06 AM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »

Well, I got out of the other furniture deal.  They are nickel and diming me with service fees, storage fees etc.  I could argue about it, but I'm still so far ahead with the new deal than where I would have been if I had  stayed in this deal and added the other pieces that I just don't care. Plus it's a local store and I will need to do business with them in the future, so I'm glad I left it on good terms, even if I'm out a few bucks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 08:19:52 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »

The boss is coming here to Ft Apache this morning, so I guess I should get some work done

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »

Heading down to get cleaned up for lunch out later.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2007, 08:34:08 AM »

Vibes to the guest speaker from Cleveland  ;D

Thanks, DR Cillaliz, and congratulations on your furniture dealings.  I still think you'll probably have to pick up a few essentials in NYC in early October?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2007, 08:37:24 AM »

RE: last night's AMERICAN IDOL RESULTS

I am actually starting to wonder if a lot of people are going to react like DR MattH and stop voting. I had just assumed that most fans would transfer their votes to other singers. But perhaps at this point some people are stuck in their ways and do not want to see anyone else win.

I am surprised but a lot of people on the televisionwithoutpity board seem to dislike jordin.

MANY of us don't believe in "transferring our votes".  It's not a winner takes all contest for all viewers.

The ONLY reason I watched "Idol" last year was Elliott Yamin.  When Elliott left, I left.

The ONLY reason I watched "Idol" this year was Melinda Doolittle (and earlier, that included Lakisha Jones).  When Melinda left, I left.

I truly don't care now who wins "Idol" because it's now a joke to me.  Blake?  Gimme a break!  He's a "Johnny One-Note" with a beat-box skill that wears thin after one song.  

Jordin, whom I've thought extremely lackluster the past few weeks, may actually have a future beyond "Idol"...but, like Kelly, she'll probably need to shake the confines of the "Idol" machine before "it" happens for her.

The one good thing about Mindy Doo's ouster is that she is now artistically free to make whatever kind of recording deal she wants to.  She must tour with "Idol", of course.  Then she's off to the races.

Transfer my votes?  Outrageous notion.  I wouldn't waste five cents on either of the two remaining contestants.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:07:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2007, 08:37:30 AM »

I was up too late reading about his touring with Eva LeGallienne's National Rep in the 1960s.

When I was in college studying music in the mid '70's, I decided to study orchestration one summer. The guy I studied with was the pianist in the pops orchestra I worked for. I asked him because I liked his arrangements. He had never taught anyone, and didn't really know what to do apart from recommending several books. But he did put me to work doing copying for a production of Alice in Eva LeGalliene. I had no idea who she was or how she ended up working with someone in Atlanta, but he seemed to be very honored to be associated with her.

Since I love Alice in Wonderland, I felt lucky to be working on it, although I remember I wasn't that impressed by the songs.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »

RE: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

I really really liked last night's show. From the beginning when jack announced he would kill the Others to the end when Charlie finished his list of the best moments of his life (that last one gave me a tear in my eye).

I disagree with DR MattH. I don't find charlie's situation dire.  Anything can happen. Since a season is only 30=60 days long there is plenty of room for him to stay on.  In fact i really hope he does. Because that moment when he kissed claire was one of the best acting moments he's had.

Now i am curious who those women are at the end holding him?

And will he pull the switch?

And i am very curious to see what happens when the Others arrive at camp.

Jennifer, this show has a history of killing off major characters.  Charlie's time may very well be coming to an end.  It may just be that those two ladies will be the ones who kill him after he attempts to flip that switch.

As for "the Others" reaching the camp, I'm not certain I should mention what I saw in the previews...but I don't think it will happen like that.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2007, 09:02:50 AM »

Everytime I log on, either someone comes in the room or the signal wears out so if I'm popping on and off, that's why.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »

In another forum where "Idol" has been discussed this season, one of the contributors posted that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of various singers....that they get as far as they get because America preferred them over others.  This writer felt that the pending tour would revitalize a number of the former contestants, including the inexplicably popular Sanjaya.  I was compelled (!) to respond:

"America will NOT sustain Sanjaya's recording contracts. Bunches and bunches of 'tweens' and 'teens' voted hundreds of times each for Sanjaya...and then Blake...and Jordin. But when it comes to these guys' first CD or concerts, those 'tweens' and 'teens' won't be buying hundreds and hundreds of CDs & tickets each. And thatta will be thatta. It's happened every year.

"Taylor Hicks'  CD tanked, and his career is in the doldrums.

"Katharine McPhee's CD tanked, and her career is in the doldrums.

"Ruben Studdard is so lost in the doldrums that no one may ever see him again.

"Fantasia is still trying to recapture the audience that catapulted her to fame and deserted her when her CD came out.  She's a game girl, and I hope she succeeds.  She's doing "The Color Purple" on tour and I hear she's been well-received.

"Diana deGarmo...almost 18 now, I think...has been on Broadway in a musical.

"Justin Guarini has tried very hard to rescue some professional semblance of his former status.  He can be seen on the TV Guide channel chatting with other 'Idol' also-rans...about 'Idol'.  Not exactly what he thought he'd be doing now, I'm sure.

"Jordin MAY have a career....in time.  But she's NOT the best by any stretch of the imagination ... not compared to Melinda.

"Blake....????  I see no future for Blake beyond this flareup.  One CD and he'll be toast (24 tracks of same-o, same-o intonations and beat-box novelties -- yawn).

"Melinda will do well in a niche market -- R&B, more than likely.  If Hollywood is smart, she'll get some title songs to sing and make some HUGE hits a la Shirley Bassey.

"'Idol' also-rans who have done very well include Clay Aiken, who has done better financially than any of them -- winners and runners-up.  Kelly may have passed him, though.  But she owes the resurgence of her career to Clay.  His concerts were sold out across the country.  She couldn't give copies of her first CD away.  She joined up and "opened" for him (performed first).  Suddenly, she found a base audience and she soared.

"Chris Daughtry can laugh and laugh and laugh.  Ousted early last season, he's outsold Taylor, Katherine and just about every other 'Idol' winner except Kelly and Carrie....and he may pass Carrie very soon.

"There's a reason Elliott Yamin performed on tonight's show instead of Katherine or Taylor.  He's hot.  They're not

"Elliott went home as second runner-up because America voted and preferred someone else...but apparently not enough to sustain careers.

"As with Clay and Chris and Elliott, they're lining up and paying to listen to and see the ones they didn't vote for!

"(I fully expect one or both of last year's finalists to perform in next week's finale, but both will be pretty much overshadowed by the traditional parade of  big-name stars).  

"Enjoy Sanjaya and Jordin and Blake while you can."

singdaw

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2007, 09:04:58 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2007, 09:10:26 AM »

Why is it that Science Fiction seems to inspire the best ["worst"] book covers?

singdaw

« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2007, 09:13:48 AM »

Then, there's always this children's classic:

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »

Der Brucer wants on.

I think I'll take a nap.  That way, the doggies will have someone to cuddle with.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »

Then, there's always this children's classic:
"Mommy taught me how to never wear panties!"

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2007, 09:17:54 AM »

With dinosaurs for that really big band sound!
\

That is hilarious!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2007, 09:18:43 AM »

bk, have you considered a beefcake book cover?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up