Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 32693 times)

Tomovoz

Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2004, 12:39:47 AM »

DR Tom of Oz:  Regarding your query as to who I thought I was reading when I read that statement Friday night....whom do YOU think I thought it was?

Hmmmmm?

:D
sound like a Maxwell Smart scene about to happen.
Good night all.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2004, 12:41:04 AM »

Humphrey Bogart:   "The African Queen", "The Maltese Falcon"

Lauren Bacall: "The Fan", "Designing Woman," "How to Marry A Millionaire"

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2004, 12:43:12 AM »

My Tony choices for musical stuff:

"Wicked" -- play
"Idina Menzel" -- Leading Actress, Musical
"Stephen Schwartz" -- Music and Lyrics
"Joe Mantello" -- Director

plus as many technical awards as it can qualify for!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2004, 12:44:09 AM »

Oh, yeah!

Sean Astin rates an Oscar nod for "Return of the King"!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2004, 12:44:35 AM »

Am I being repetitive?  

Am I in a time warp?

Will you do the time warp with me?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2004, 12:51:51 AM »

Geez!  Seven people online and nobody posting but me?

Is it my breath?  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2004, 12:53:22 AM »

Well, I guess I should rest my hands and go to bed.

Good night all!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2004, 01:06:17 AM »

Thank you, folks, for your warm wishes. We had Tugger for over 14 years and he will be missed.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2004, 04:32:48 AM »

However, for Mary Marvel:

Selena for Grace
Hippolyta for Strength
Ariadne for Skill
Zephyrus for Speed
Aurora for Beauty
Minerva for Wisdom

I thought Zephyrus was for water.
And does that mean that Selena and Grace are lesbian lovers?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2004, 04:38:16 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a Bacall or Bogart film. I really ought to watch some classic films one day.

Dear Laura II:

You really shouldn't admit to such things. I think it is shameful that you never seen a Humphrey Bogart film. That denying yourself some of the great films ever made and some of the great film performances of all time. And to say that you never seen at least Casablanca is just.......Go rent it today! Make it a late new years resolution to rent or see some of these wonderful classic films!! You will feel so much better and won't be out of the loop! Go to it Girl!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2004, 04:44:20 AM »

Deat TCB

Mr. Christopher Reeves was one of the kindest and most professional actor I ever had the opportunity to meet and work with. I remember the last part of the shoot was just him and me because of the camera angle. Even though I am not really seeen all that much in the final cut, the photo (taken from a different angle) is a wonderful rememberance of that day.

It is up there with working with Angela Lansbury on Little Gloria Happy At Last.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2004, 05:00:03 AM »

Bogart and Bacall
Not alot to choose from but
Key Largo and The Big Sleep (It is interesting to watch Bacall in both versions of the film.)

Bogart  So many to choose from but.....
Casablanca,
The Petrified Forest,
African Queen,
The Desperate Hours
Beat The Devil
and I always wanted to see The Return of Doctor X. (I have only seen clips from it and I am sure it could be a camp classic.)

Bacall
How to Marry a Millionaire ( A must see in widescreen)
Applause (TV Film which needs to be on DVD)
Murder on the Orient Express
The Fan (but not the movie itself)

and I saw Lauren Bacall in Woman of the Year. It was matinee and I was not overwhelmed by the show. I was disappointed by her performance I felt she was holding back because it was the matinee and was saving herself for the evening show. BUT Marilyn Cooper stole the show from her in the second act in her one scene. The show was later rewritten for its tour with Bacall.

And Bruce release it on CD for Bay Cities (#3008)
Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2004, 05:09:36 AM »

I love the Captain Marvel serial, but like so many other serials based on comic books/comic strips, it doesn't exactly stay faithful to the source material.  Captain Marvel hisself has a gleeful sadism that simply isn't in the comic books, in which the Captain is good-natured, and engagingly simple.  Still and all, The Adventures of Captain Marvel is a necessary addition into my deeveedee library.  For those of you interested in the comic books, DC is reprinting the adventures of the good captain in THE SHAZAM! ARCHIVES series.  There are three volumes out now, with another one arriving in March or April of 2004.  Essential reading for comic book geeks.  

If you like The Adventures of Captain Marvel, you might also wish to see two serials based on the works of Lee Falk, The Phantom and Mandrake the Magician.  The first (and best!) Dick Tracy serial is also out on deeveedee, and it's a must.

About Mr. Christopher Reeve: when the movie Somewhere in Time was shooting at Mackinac Island, I was working the summer at the Grand Hotel, where the film was shot.  And working as an extra, I'm in the film.  Twice, actually.  Though I didn't get within arm's length of Mr. Reeve, I did have a bit of a conversation with the movie's other Christopher, Plummer.  He was quite a charmer, lemme tell ya.  

Oh, well, it's 'bout time I got down to business.  Today is the day the holiday decorations finally come down.  All the Christopher Radko ornaments (there seem to be a lot of Christophers in this posting, eh?) are going back into their boxes for another eleven months.  

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:11:49 AM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Michael

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2004, 05:11:04 AM »

From November 27, 2001

BK SAID

The jury is still out on the chat room. Other than the Unseemly Comment Box, I have no interest in a "message board". In fact, I would quickly become bored by a message board. I have no idea where this whole thing is going, but if I were to hazard a guess I would say it's going nowhere fast. I agree about more content and I would be content to have more content immediately, but that damn Mr. Mark Bakalor is slow as molasses, with an emphasis on the latter two syllables. Even now, or even shortly, the Unseemly Guy Haines Photo Gallery should be open. I don't know if that falls under the category of "content", though. Of course, our The Broadway Radio Show will be premiering next Monday.

Interesting how things evolved and changed all for the better.

Well Mark Bakalor is still slow as molasses but that's a different story.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:12:06 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2004, 05:19:51 AM »

Whatever happened to dear readers Lolita, Sushi from Japan (or whatever her name was) and Francois????
Never stop dreaming.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2004, 06:01:27 AM »

Favorite BOGART films:
Petrified Forest
(Fresh from the stage version which he originated. Even then you could see the depth of his acting.)
Casablanca
(A classic. What I like is you can see him thinking.)
The African Queen
(What a match--Hepburn and Bogart. They should've done more films together. Not a usual role for him. In this one, his character does not have all the answers.)
The Maltese Falcon
(For me, a complex plot but he's the glue that keeps it all together.)
Caine Mutiny
(Just flat out terrific acting. Academy Award worthy.)
Treasure of Sierra Madre
(Three actors at their best.)
Sabrina
(The film is flawed and he's probably miscast but in one scene where he has no lines, he gives a lesson in screen acting.)

Favorite BACALL films:
How to Marry a Millionaire
(Such an entertaining film. She's just right on--stylish  and subtle.)
Designing Woman
(At her comedic and stylish best.)
Murder on the Orient Express
(Not just a pretty face, she showed her acting chops here.)
Written on the Wind
(A wonderful heartrending performance.)
The Shootist
(One of her best mature roles. Touching and knowing performance.)

Michael

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2004, 06:26:09 AM »

I have been reviewing all of Dear Bruce Kimmel's past columns and I came across a posting that I would like to share. I got a good laugh from it.

From December 6, 2001

So, what if Stephen Sondheim had written The Life? And it goes something like this (to the tune of Into The Woods):

Into the whores,
We have to pay,
Cause that's the only
Way they play.
Into the whores
Without delay
I've got a hundred dollars!

Into the whores,
They offer sex;
But just for cash
No cards or checks!
They'll sleep with scum
Or with execs
That's how they earn their living.

They'll do it straight,
Or kinky, too.
They'll say you're great
Though it's not true.
They'll do it in chains
If chains are your thing.
They'll dress up like a sheep, dear,
But costumes don't come cheap, dear

Into the whores,
On beds or rugs;
They don't have time
To give you hugs.
They've got to run
And go buy drugs
To keep their boyfriends happy.

Into the whores,
You pay your bucks;
For large amounts
You get "deluxe".
After a while
The Life just sucks...
They pay the pimp,
They do the dirty
They flaunt
They flirt
They touch
They do
They smile
They moan
They tell you you're fabulous...
Into the whores,
Into the whores,
Into the whores,
Then out of the whores
And home to your wife.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 06:26:57 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2004, 07:02:48 AM »

They [Boy from Oz, Wonderful Town] are both usually on the half-price booth so if he can see them both I would say go for it. If he can only choose one, hmmm. Jackman is hot, sexy and funny but Donna Murphy is wonderful, and funny too. Oh, well, I'll go for the sex. See Jackman :-)

DR Ben, Thanks for the advice about which show of the two my friend should see. I'll pass it along, and I'm pretty sure you made up his mind for him. However, I'll leave out the information that the tickets are available at half price. For this guy, that point would be a turn-off.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 07:03:38 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2004, 07:05:56 AM »

DR Jed, I'm very sorry but your ascention to the uppermost reaches of Valhalla will be delayed until you watch THE MALTESE FALCON, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, THE PETRIFIED FOREST, or TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE. I'll be mentioning my own favorites Bogies in a minute, but those are good places for a guy unsure of his Bogie connection to start.

LauraII - CASABLANCA or THE AFRICAN QUEEN. Get them now!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2004, 07:16:42 AM »

Favorite Bogies: THE MALTESE FALCON, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, KEY LARGO, CASABLANCA, and THE HARDER THEY FALL.

That last title was Bogie's last picture. He's dying, and you can almost see it in his face as he carries a pained expression throughout the entire film and looks ill. Nevertheless, the performance is as riveting as any he ever gave, and the movie is a hard-nosed (yet supremely involving) look at gangster-controlled boxing in the 1950s. Much, much better than you think it is going to be, and it's on DVD, too!

Bacall - YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN finds her playing a bisexual mantrap. And it has great vocals from Doris Day, too. Also like DESIGNING WOMAN and her pair of Poirot mysteries: MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS and APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH. She's good enough in DARK PASSAGE, KEY LARGO, and THE BIG SLEEP, of course.

I saw her in WOMAN OF THE YEAR. Pitch problems, and she seemed to be bored with the show. A better star might have made the production more entertaining.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 07:20:49 AM by Matt H. »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2004, 07:23:54 AM »

DRMattH, You commented yesterday about I Had a Ball being the show you probably liked least (as an audience member). I enjoy listening to the score (much of it), and suspect you do, too. There are some great numbers, notably all of Karen Morrow's. Was it the entire production that you disliked, or just elements? I remember a NY Times article by the writer of the IHAB book, Jerome Chodorov. A college student was analyzing the reasons behind a big Broadway flop and had sent a questionnaire to Chodorov. Chodorov's point in the article: his show was just plain bad, and not worthy of a dissertation.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 07:25:22 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2004, 08:00:56 AM »

Welcome to GodJED! Your handbook is in the mail!

Condolences to DRLaura for Tugger.  :'(  There are endless balls of yarn in Kitty Heaven!

DRJOSE - if you have never visited the Museum of the City of New York, I highly recommend it!  It's on like 105th St & 5th - somewhere up there.  No admission fee - it's a donation at the door.  They have a great theatrical collection including original costumes from R/H shows, etc.   AND Mary Martin's costume from Peter Pan on Broadway!  And the rest of the stuff is interesting too!  :D

Yes, TCB, I was happy to see that photo of Mother Dolores!  Paula Prentiss talks on the Where the Boys Are commentary about visiting her at the convent.

So many posts yesterday!  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......a lot of my favorites have been mentioned but here goes anyway:

Bogart:

Casablanca, They Drive By Night, The Caine Mutiny, Sabrina

Bacall:

Written on the Wind, Woman's World, How to Marry a Millionaire

It has been written that Hawks helped Bacall lower her speaking voice for movies because his ideal was always the "Frances Farmer bitch-with-a-baritone" sound.  And in fact he has said of Farmer:  "Considering talent, only Rosalind Russell and Carole Lombard can be mentioned in the same breath with her."

Museum of the City of New York!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2004, 08:07:14 AM »

Frances and Bing!  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2004, 08:09:58 AM »

As many times as I've been to NYC, DR Jrand, I've never been to the Museum of New York either, but I'll remedy that this summer. Thanks for the info. Sounds great, and you can't beat the price!

Basically, I didn't find it funny, DR Dan. Buddy Hacket was pulling his own Zero Mostel antics and ad-libbing all through the show which cracked up some people around me, but whcih I didn't find funny, and you knew the lines weren't part of the show. (I didn't like it when Pearl Bailey did it in HELLO, DOLLY either.)And the songs on first hearing didn't stay with you. Yes, Karen Morrow was a great belter, but the music just didn't have staying power.

Here's a shock: my mom bought me the cast LP, and I listened to it once. Maybe I'd like it better now. I have not upgraded to CD, obviously, since I had so little regard for the show, but maybe it's time for a second listen!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 08:11:11 AM by Matt H. »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2004, 08:10:21 AM »

bk-

correction-

FORCE OF ARMS was a movie with William Holden and Nancy Olson.

I believe the movie that you are referring to is THE BREAKING POINT with John Garfield and Patricia Neal.

SHAZAM!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2004, 08:23:31 AM »

DRMattH,

Do give I Had a Ball another listen. Richard Kiley is not in his top form, but still good. And try to skip over Buddy Hackett's annoying numbers. There are at least five worthy songs, including the title one (IMHO).

I guess liking the IHAB album with the exception of Buddy Hackett is like enjoying Touched by an Angel, except for the angel stuff. (Which is the case with my friend Patty.)

Stan Freeman and Jack Lawrence wrote the score, and the notes say that Lawrence was also responsible  for Tenderly, Poor People of Paris, and If I Didn't Care.

I gather that Danny Kaye also did his shtick during Two by Two. And as much as I liked Golden Boy, it ticked me off when Sammy Davis sang What Kind of Fool Am I as his encore.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2004, 08:31:40 AM »

What is it with you people?! I go to bed early and you go on posting like crazy. Have you no decency?
Congrats on the huge day yesterday. Sorry I missed out on the fun. Went to bed early-ish because (a) I had the place to myself for the first time in a bit (with daughter's visit over) and, much as I absolutely loved having her here, I was luxuriating in being on my own and (b) for some reason I got sick as a dog - although I don't know what that means, because my dog is just fine, thanks. Anyway, I'm fine and dandy this morning. Although my eyes hurt from reading all the posts.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2004, 08:41:53 AM »

Yes, it has amazed me every morning for the last several to awake and find hundreds of more posts than when I went to bed (which has been later and later in an attempt to keep up as best I can!)

Since I fussed a little at DRs Jed and Laura earlier, let me admit that there are some classic films that I've never managed to find myself watching either. The first that comes to mind is LA DOLCE VITA.

That might be an interesting topic of discussion one day: to admit a classic movie, play, or TV show you've never seen.

Another potential topic: what universally despised film, play, TV show do you find yourself actually loving  - they're called guilty pleasures, and I sure have some.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2004, 08:44:16 AM »

DR Dan, I'm going out to lunch today with a friend, but I PROMISE to break out the LP this afternoon and listen again to the score. It would be great to be surprised by actually liking it now!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2004, 08:55:05 AM »

Another Bogie that I just got around to seeing in 2003 was IN A LONELY PLACE. That was a strange, surprising little gem of a movie. I liked it a lot.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up