Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 32902 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2004, 09:16:07 AM »

Mr. Brockman is correct - I'd written the notes yesterday from work and I knew the Garfield wasn't right.  I looked it up when I got home and made a note to change it, then I forgot to do so.  I will do so now, however.

I saw Miss Bacall in WOTY and she was good the night I saw her.  The already mentioned scene with Miss Cooper brought the house down - absolutely four-star hilarious.  When I later saw the same number with Miss Racquel Welch and Miss Cooper it wasn't nearly as funny because Miss Welch doesn't do Miss Bacall's withering stares the way Miss Bacall does her withering stares.  It comes natchurly to Miss Bacall, but not to Miss Welch.

One of my favorite memories in my always-in-NY-days was coming out of Joe Allen and running into Tony Walton who was coming out of Orso's next door.  We hugged and chatted and while we were doing so my eye strayed to a woman standing nearby who was waving at me - it was Miss Bacall.  The next morning Tony called and said she would like to talk about doing an album.  When I got home that night there was a message on the machine from "that voice" - saying, "Bruce, this is Lauren Bacall, call me."  Click.  Like I had her number lying around.  It took another year to connect but I finally got to work with her on Brent Barrett's last album.  We had a Chinese food dinner and she was just delightful, and was in the studio, too.  We've spoken a few times since and I would have done the album had things not taken the turn they did.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2004, 09:17:12 AM »

Jed [move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CONGRATULATIONS![/move]

Jane

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2004, 09:19:53 AM »

I'm happy to report that the new season of "Stargate SG-1" started on the Sci-Fi Channel Friday evening and it was good episode.

I'm sorry to report that the followup show -- a new series called "Code Name: Eternity" -- is wholly lame and badly written.  Lots of unintentional giggles...or maybe it wasn't really even bad enough to be funny -- maybe it was the cold medicine.

We will be watching both tonight, or maybe we shall pass on Code Eternity.  Thanks for the tip.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2004, 09:27:02 AM »

Ron I hope it will be awhile before you need to make a decision regarding Miss Vickie.  I believe in our hearts we know when it’s time.  Of course you should be allowed to hold her.  I always stay with my pets but I have learned not to look into their eyes.  It is easier if I just hold them without watching.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »

Worthless crap?

Worthless crap?

Well.. maybe just worthless... ;)
Crap is not worthless.  It can be used to make things fertile.

Of course, some of us are filled with more fertile material than others.

(Sorry, DR Jose, I couldn't resist.   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2004, 09:34:59 AM »

Well, she of the Evil Eye has arrived and I must make tracks.  I'll be back in a bit - keep the home fries burning so I have lots and lots to read upon my return to the home environment.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2004, 09:36:52 AM »

Bogie and Bacall:  KEY LARGO

Bacall:  KEY LARGO, HOW TO MARY A MILLIONAIRE and THE SHOOTIST

Bogie:  Just about everything he has done, but my absolute favorites are
CASABLANCA and THE AFRICAN QUEEN.  I have also watched these two movies far more than any other movies.

Laura II those would be my first two Bogart pics for you to watch-NOW!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2004, 09:49:04 AM »

Good strong vibes to DR Ron!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~``````````~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:49:22 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2004, 09:49:46 AM »

MR BK - I hope you saved the answering machine tape!  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2004, 09:51:41 AM »

Talk about timing.  Check out today's Pibgorn!

(Double-checking the link, if you're in catch-up mode, check Pibgorn for January 10th.  But they only hold the old stuff for about 30 days.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 09:54:37 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2004, 10:04:40 AM »

Danise:  I am exceedingly sorry if I caused you any embarrassment whatever by taking part of your totally innocent post, removing a sentence or two and casting the remainders in a lugubrious light.

I really DID think it was a post from ____, and then I saw your photo and thought, "This can't be right!"

It's what happens when one is taking meds for a cold and tries to be cognet online!

Do worry about it, Ron.  It happens to me all the time  :D!     No body loves a good joke better than me, even if it is on me.  But beware--I like to tease back!

Congrats to the newest God!  

Well, I have to go.  I need to buy a wedding gift for a gal at work.  Thank goodness for wedding registers.  At least I won't have to worry about buying them the 10th toaster!

Have a good one and I'll check back later!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2004, 10:10:59 AM »

Hey, part of my post didn't post!

Bruce said:

Re:WHERE IS FLAIR?
« Reply #442 on: Today at 12:17:29am »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be pedantic, Kimlet was Tony Walton's name for me - it's what he called friends - Jane Krakowski was Kraklet.  It became our designation for dear readers of this site, they were either Hainsies, after Guy Haines, or Kimlets, after me, or both, after both.

Which begs the question:  How does one know which one you are or if you are, in fact, one of either or both?   ???

And I might have to pick up Babylon 5 season 4 when I'm out and about today.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »

Remember Mad magazine's "dumb answers to dumb questions" feature? While Gord was out doing some shopping, I started making a pot of minestrone soup and threw in a load of laundry (not into the soup). It was just Archie (the spaniel) and me here, and when Gord returned he asked, "Who's doing the laundry?" "Archie," I said, and went back to chopping celery.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 11:02:51 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2004, 10:28:40 AM »

Ok, I hope that I won't be strung up, but I am just not a fan of Lauren Bacall.  She is a fine actress, but just does not appeal to me much. That said, if I were to pick two favorite Bacall movies they would be SEX AND THE SINGLE GIRL (although I haven't seen that one since I was about 10 years old), and THE GIFT OF LOVE (however, I prefer the Maureen O'Hara version titled SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY).

As for Humphrey Bogart, I don't go out of my way to see his films, but he did make two that are in my top 20 films...WE'RE NO ANGELS and THE DESPERATE HOURS...two films I very much enjoy!

DearReaderLaura, I am so sorry about your little Tugger!

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2004, 10:32:33 AM »

And for those of you who enjoy such things, here is a hottie of the day, who I had the pleasure of interviewing a few weeks ago.

William Reynolds...star of ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, CULT OF THE COBRA, FRANCIS AT WEST POINT, and starred in the TV series THE GALLENT MEN and THE FBI! Anyone remember him?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2004, 10:40:28 AM »

When I later saw the same number with Miss Racquel Welch and Miss Cooper it wasn't nearly as funny because Miss Welch doesn't do Miss Bacall's withering stares the way Miss Bacall does her withering stares.  It comes natchurly to Miss Bacall, but not to Miss Welch.

BK - That's a wonderful tribute to Lauren Bacall and something that should be taught at acting school.

I was thrilled when Marilyn Cooper won her Tony. She was overshadowed by Barbra Streisand in I Can Get It For You Wholesale, but MC's songs are extremely effective. ICGIFYW should have provided a breakout role for her, too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 10:41:22 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2004, 10:52:17 AM »

By the way, I know you posted earlier this week about that "other" dvd board, but I have forgotten what it was called. BK, can you give me a link to it, I am most curious to peruse it!

Michael

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2004, 10:57:02 AM »

And for those of you who enjoy such things, here is a hottie of the day, who I had the pleasure of interviewing a few weeks ago.

William Reynolds...star of ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS, CULT OF THE COBRA, FRANCIS AT WEST POINT, and starred in the TV series THE GALLENT MEN and THE FBI! Anyone remember him?

I remember him from the FBI. I was sad that he did do the last seasonb
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2004, 11:07:01 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afteroon! Wherever you are!

Well, I slept in again today... Until Noon again...  And it's now 2:00pm EST again... And I still have yet to have breakfast/brunch/lunch again...  I shall rememdy that situation soon...  Hey, how about after I post?  Sounds good, heh?

As for Bogie and Bacall movies... They've all been mentioned already - Casablanca, Key Largo, African Queen, etc.  When I was in high school, one of my English teachers would screen classic movies for us at the end of the semester since we were usually ahead of schedule course-work wise.  Casablanca was always in the projector.

My parents got the DVD for Christmas, and it truly is an amazing transfer.  -And one I need to add to my own DVD library soon - I have it on VHS.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura II

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2004, 11:07:17 AM »

DRs Michael Shayne, Matt H, and Jane: I will try to rent those films as soon as possible! Thanks for the suggestions/commands! :D heehee
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2004, 11:19:11 AM »

DR MBarnum - Thank you for the pic of William Reynolds.  It reminds me of my last summer working at Coast Guard HQ in DC.  I used to work as a clerk at CGHQ during my college summers.  Yes, the hours were early(!) - 7:00-3:30 - but the pay wasn't bad, and I always got a nice raise - another GS-level - each summer I came back.  I even got annual and sick leave!  Of course, there were always lots of other college students working there too, and it was fun meeting students from other schools, comparing classes, stories, etc.

My last summer working at CGHQ, I was put on a special project team that was in charge of processing Merchant Marine veteran's benefits applications.  Merchant Marines were just granted full veteran status, and were finally able to apply for benefits - or their surviving family members.  Well, it was me and about 40 other college students in one big room with lots of computer terminals.  And LOTS of files.  And in the files there were pictures, mainly old IDs.

We all marvelled at the "look" that all the gentlemen had.  There was something very really handsome about them.  And the "look" was something that didn't seem "old" - especially the haircuts.  Very classic, and timeless.  Could be very "today".  Both the young women and the young men working with me thought they were very attractive.

It was also very gratifying to know that we were doing some very good and long-overdue work.  Even though we were only there for about three months - our summer vacation - we did receive a few letters from widows and children of former Merchant Marines thanking the team for processing the forms so fast - they were already starting to receive veteran's benefits in that short time!

Thanks again for the pic, MBarnum.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2004, 11:22:48 AM »

Well, I must hie my own butt-cheeks off this couch, and get bundled up so I can head out.  It's bright and sunny outside, but it is cold.  -At least it's not "Montreal cold". ;)

I'll probably just walk down to Carytown and grab something somewhere - BK, mentioned "home fries" and I think the deli still has them on the grill at this hour.

OH!  And I believe I have a chocolate stop to make too! :D

Later...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2004, 11:27:27 AM »

Marilyn Cooper was the niece of the Yiddish singer, Belle Baker, whose recording of Bei Mir Bis du Schoen is heard on the two-disc Columbia Legacy CD, From Avenue A to the Great White Way (Yiddish and American Popular Songs). For the history of that song:

http://www.yiddishradioproject.org/exhibits/ymis/ymis.php3?pg=2

William E. Lurie

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2004, 11:30:55 AM »

I've never seen Bacall where I didn't like her, but I will say she was the only reason to see "Barbra Striesand Has Two Faces".  I like the lighter side of Bogie such as "Sabrina" but that is because I prefer comedies.  However his absolute best was "Casablanca".  I have a couple of episodes of the radio series they did together in the early 50's.

BK - According to "Previews" - the magazine that lists new comic books and comics-related material -  "Captain Marvel" will be out on DVD in February.

Yesterday after work I picked up "Firebrand" and the new Alix Korey show "Listen To My Heart".  Today I got the package from All Music with over a dozen CDs I had ordered.  This includes such raraties as the OBC of "The Body Beautiful" (Harnick & Bock), studio casts of "Pleasures and Palaces" (Loesser) and "Look To The Lillies" (Styne), plus some never-before released Florence Foster Jenkins, a Blossom Dearie compilation, and several television soundtracks from the early 50s.  Now I have to find the time to listen.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »

WEL-

How do you log on to ALL MUSIC?

Jane

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2004, 12:02:59 PM »

I should get moving and go for a walk.  The sun is shining at it is 43 degrees out and there isn’t too windy.

Am I the only one who cares the NEW option keeps disappearing?  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2004, 12:05:38 PM »

"Was you ever stung by a dead bee?"  You do know that a very young Andy Williams dubbed Lauren Bacall's singing voice on the great Hoagy Carmichael tune "How Little We Know" in TO HAVE & TO HAVE NOT...

Favourite Bacalls, all with Bogie...TO HAVE & TO HAVE NOT, THE BIG SLEEP, KEY LARGO...my fav of hers, I love Edward G. Robinson whispering unheard filthy suggestions in her ear...And no one is better or more pathetic in that movie than the late, great Claire Trevor...her sadly singing Moaning Low for a drink is just heartbreaking.  They don't make scenes like that any more.

As for favourite Bogie... all the above films with Bacall, plus THE ROARING TWENTIES, HIGH SIERRA,  CASABLANCA, THE DESPERATE HOURS, and my favourite movie of his of all-time and one on my all-time top ten list of any movies, THE MALTESE FALCON.

Was it Bogart in THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS or Alan Ladd in VARIETY GIRL...both be war morale movies full of songs and skits...that did the bit where he's at a bar and guy has an argument with his girlfriend and tells her they're going home and to emphasize the point, slaps her around.  At which point, either Bogart or Ladd comes up to the guy and menacingly says: "Let me see you do that again."  The guy slaps the girl again and our star turns to the girl and says: "You better go home with him, lady, he seems pretty tough."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 12:07:58 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2004, 12:06:29 PM »

What new option?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

Another Bogie that I just got around to seeing in 2003 was IN A LONELY PLACE. That was a strange, surprising little gem of a movie. I liked it a lot.

I agree, Matt.  Years ago, I was up late, becuase I couldn't sleep.  I flipped on the TV in time for the  start of In A Lonely Place.  I figured I would watch the first few minutes.  I couldn't stop watching it.  I was a zombie the next day at work, but it was worth it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2004, 12:17:06 PM »

Only the next day TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up