Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 82178 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2007, 05:39:36 PM »

Welcome back, DR elmore.

I <heart> The Acela.

*Are you an Amtrak Guest Rewards Member?  There's a double-points promotion going on right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »

It's not unusual at all. August is the time that the baby bats start leaving and flying around. From what I've read they are usually the ones that end up getting into the living space of a house, not on purpose, but by accident.  Today I heard of four other people in town who have had bats recently.  

BTW, I called the vet and they didn't think I needed to give the cats a booster for rabies. Apparently most of the small brown bats around here are negative so if pets have had their rabies shots, they don't worry too much about it

Years ago, when I moved into my little house out in the country, the mailboxes for the whole development were about two blocks from my house. In the summer, I would walk down in the evening (after everything had cooled off).  All the way down to the mailboxes and back to the house I could hear the bats flying right over my head.  It was kind of a cool sensation listening to them, they sounded like Keifer Sutherland and company in LOST BOYS.

Of course, one day my neighbor informed me that they were fruit bats; so then I was afraid to leave the house.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »

I can't see it without signing in to the LA Times.

Alan Tudyk was wonderful in SPAMALOT.  The article makes no mention of the fact that, as Adam, he spent a lot of the beginning of Paul Rudnick's "The Most Fabulous Story Ever Told" in the nude onstage.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:58 PM »

OH!

DR elmore - I meant to get back to you about this last week, but...

I found the information on that song that that one young woman brought in to the Brain auditions last week.  The "swing" number - which happens to be from a show called Swing which had a book by Alfred Uhry and music by Robert Waldman.  And, lo and behold, I finally found out why it was sort of familiar to me: the show never made it into NYC, it closed in DC.  And I think I actually saw it too!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2007, 05:52:21 PM »

"A Girl Could Go Whacky" maybe?  There was nothing in the files at the LoC.

And, while I'm thinking of it, is the Copyright Office a weird place to navigate?  Yes!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »

I need to buy my tickets for the shows I know I am seeing, but I cannot do that until sept 1st. Is anyone a member of NYMF who would be able to help me out in getting the tickets in advance?

If you are only going to be in New York until 9/2/07, how can you see any of the shows in the Festival?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #276 on: August 14, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »

we often watch the bats flying around outside our bedroom window.  As long as they stay outside they are fun to watch.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #277 on: August 14, 2007, 06:18:10 PM »

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to get the leads. I would think that many people would jump at the chance to do a NY show.

Many do, but it depends on where the actor is in their career.  Some performers prefer not to be in New York in September, rehearsing four weeks to give six performances for astonishingly little money.  If you go to somebody who has the attitude of "I'm a star: Your NYMF show needs me more than I need it." this could result in getting jerked around.  Others, of course, relish the idea of creating a role in a new musical.  It's something I was fairly naive about, but a good casting director tells you which is which.

I'm very excited to be the beneficiary of the good work of Liz Larsen, Brad Oscar, Jeff Talbott, Lynne Wintersteller, Dirk Lumbard, Shannon O'Bryan, Joshua James Campbell, Blake Whyte, Laura Jordan and Michael Thomas Holmes
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

Jane, our second choice has an eighteen-month-old baby - she really wanted to do the show, but the child care issues were insurmountable.  We've moved on to our next choice - since I've worked with her a whole bunch, I have hopes that this will be the one that sticks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »

Does anyone happen to know the name of the actor who has been offered the male lead in the revival of DIE MOMMY, DIE! that is going into rehearsals soon?
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »

DR Noel - congratulations on your cast.  I'm looking forward to seeing your show at 4:30 on Oct. 3!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »

Many do, but it depends on where the actor is in their career.  Some performers prefer not to be in New York in September, rehearsing four weeks to give six performances for astonishingly little money.  If you go to somebody who has the attitude of "I'm a star: Your NYMF show needs me more than I need it." this could result in getting jerked around.  Others, of course, relish the idea of creating a role in a new musical.  It's something I was fairly naive about, but a good casting director tells you which is which.

I'm very excited to be the beneficiary of the good work of Liz Larsen, Brad Oscar, Jeff Talbott, Lynne Wintersteller, Dirk Lumbard, Shannon O'Bryan, Joshua James Campbell, Blake Whyte, Laura Jordan and Michael Thomas Holmes

Noel - I am so excited that you have Brad Oscar in your show.  My best friends, Sharry and Micheal are friends of Brad.  In fact they just flew down to Vegas in June to see Brad do the lead in THE PRODUCERS again.  They weren't as crazy about the edited down PRODUCERS, as I was of PHANTOM.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: August 14, 2007, 06:38:52 PM »

And part of it is just the nature of NYMF too since each of the show's six performances are spread out over two or so weeks, and at different times.  Depending on people's "day jobs", it may not be that easy for them adjust their schedule.

Conversely, the early fall season is an ideal time for The Fringe and NYMF since there are usually a bunch of actors who have just gotten back from summer-stock gigs.  And since they were working out-of-town, they weren't able to audition for some of the other productions going up this fall.  And in regards to Broadway shows, unless it's trying out out-of-town, most shows wait until the Spring to open.  So, some of those "Broadway Babies" may be available also.

And judging from some of the work I have lined up for September and October, this fall in New York City is surprisingly busy in regards to "big" auditions.  (And it was already an unseasonably busy summer this year for most casting agencies.)  There are lots of possibly-buzz-worthy productions - both here in NYC and elsewhere - that will be auditioning actors over the next couple of weeks.  Additionally, a couple of currently running shows have their regular "6-month calls" coming up too - and there are some known openings available for various projects.  I have a few friends who are keeping themselves "open" in order to be available for auditions.  Yes, that can be risky - to work, or not to work - but that's the Actor's Life.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #283 on: August 14, 2007, 06:46:21 PM »

DR Elmore - I'm glad you had a pleasant trip to DC and a fruitful day at LC.  Are you sure you don't need a research assistant next week?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: August 14, 2007, 06:48:44 PM »

DR Ginny - I keep meaning to ask (again)...

Which area of town will you be staying in again in a couple of weeks?  If you like, I could always snap a few pics of the "corners" near where you will be staying if you want to get idea of the 'hood.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #285 on: August 14, 2007, 06:52:46 PM »

DR Ginny - I keep meaning to ask (again)...

Which area of town will you be staying in again in a couple of weeks?  If you like, I could always snap a few pics of the "corners" near where you will be staying if you want to get idea of the 'hood.

DR Jose - North side of W. 54th, just west of Ninth Ave.  DRs Ben, Noel, Elmore, and my long-time friend Doug have all spoken glowingly of the neighborhood.  I'd love to see some photos!  

Cillaliz

« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2007, 07:00:50 PM »

we often watch the bats flying around outside our bedroom window.  As long as they stay outside they are fun to watch.

Yes, that is the key...as long as they stay outside

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2007, 07:01:26 PM »

DR Jose - North side of W. 54th, just west of Ninth Ave.  DRs Ben, Noel, Elmore, and my long-time friend Doug have all spoken glowingly of the neighborhood.  I'd love to see some photos!  

OK.  I'll snap some photos tomorrow during my post-audition walk from AEA to Columbus Circle.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2007, 07:01:35 PM »

BK - continued casting vibes for The Brain!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2007, 07:02:59 PM »

DR FJL, Noel and bk - Do you happen to know if anything was "settled" in regards to the "Right of First Refusal" for those actors participating in NYMF shows (that might end up moving on to larger venues and productions).?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:50 PM »

I don't know if it's THE lead actor in Die, Mommy, Die, but the actor who's been offered the role who was considering doing our show was Chris Seiber.  I believe he would have come on board had the timing of the Busch show not been so bad for us.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2007, 07:04:17 PM »

Hmm... I just got booked for some "gravy days"... Maybe I will go on that cruise at the end of September... Hmm... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2007, 07:04:24 PM »

As far as I know, none of the actors have right of first refusal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »

I'm in the middle of watching a motion picture on DVD - not very good, but, you know, it's a Hayley Mills film I've never seen, I believe her first non-Disney 60s film.

Ginny

« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »

May I just sat that all this casting info is fascinating to a humble ticket-buyer like myself?

In personnel matters from my world, I'm sworn to secrecy about who our new assistant manager will be, but it looks like I can ride out the next year and a half to retirement in peace  :-X

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #295 on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:07 PM »

May I just sat that all this casting info is fascinating to a humble ticket-buyer like myself?

If you want to be truly "humbled", you should go into a casting agent's office, and ask to look at one of the "files" for a particular show - or, even better yet, a currently, long-running show.  The number of headshots and resumes and casting session lists and notes is staggering.  And what's truly humbling, is that the casting agent can most likely recall when and where they heard a particular actor... where in the file the headshot is located... and what they sang that day too!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:13:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »

I don't know if it's THE lead actor in Die, Mommy, Die, but the actor who's been offered the role who was considering doing our show was Chris Seiber.  I believe he would have come on board had the timing of the Busch show not been so bad for us.  

Thanks, BK, that is actually what I was asking, but I was trying to be subtle.  Hell, if Chris Seiber was doing Fred, I probably would have walked to New York!

.........Not that the rest of you gathering in NY in September aren't reason enough.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2007, 07:17:09 PM »

Bruce, 3 is my lucky number.  I'll lend it to you until the actress accepts the role.

Cillaliz

« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18:03 PM »

WOW! I just had an idea..if we pool HHW lucky numbers, maybe we can win the lottery!  ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2007, 07:21:09 PM »

Yay! A repeat of last night's wonderful THE CLOSER.  I loved the two SWAT guys. Very funny. They should become regulars.

I love the way the beginning sets up a light bantering mood and the boyish victim seems so innocent and then - POWIE!

I love this show!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up