Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST  (Read 20623 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE RETURN OF THE UNSEEMLY TRIVIA CONTEST
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2004, 08:47:28 AM »

Gee, Bruce, you won't even give us a time frame on the trivia question? Like the decade it was produced in?

You must be new to the HHW trivia contest game, Dear Reader Charles Pogue.  When it comes to these contests, Dear BK is ruthless.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2004, 08:48:01 AM »

Aarggh.  Vincent Scully.

A brief bio:  

Scully ranks among the most influential architectural historians of the 20th century.  He has shaped not only how we view the evolution of architecture in the twentieth century but also the course of that evolution itself. Combining the modes of historian and critic in unique and compelling ways--with an audience that reaches from students and scholars to professional architects and ardent amateurs--Scully has profoundly influenced the way architecture is thought about and made.

Vin Scully is a sportscaster.  My bad.

Now that makes sense.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2004, 08:55:41 AM »

Re:TIVO TROUBLE - NEW
« Reply #241 on: Today at 01:33:26am »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Danise on Yesterday at 07:42:30pm
How about...The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Be careful what you wish for, we may get a remake with Brad Garrett and Katey Sagal in the leads.

Chuckle.

BTW, I just saw that Cowboy U is on again starting at one.  Guess I'll be able to see what I missed after all.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2004, 09:04:43 AM »

Good grief!  The posts this morning are running slower than molasses.  I know the East Coast crowd can't still be in bed ferchristsakes, it is almost noon.  Hell, DR Tomovoz should up in a couple of hours, and it is the middle of the night in Australia.

I don't believe I have ever seen a show that I thought would be a smash hit, but was a flop instead.  I can think of any number of shows that qualify for that in reverse.  I suppose the closest I could come would be She Loves Me, which had a fairly successful revival, but still never became the classic that I think it should be.  Having done the show and directed the show, I have had an ongoing love affair with the show.  Actually it started back in the early 70s when I came across the OBC album in a "sale bin" in a Santa Rosa book store.  It was love at first listen.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2004, 09:08:03 AM »

They'll be showing Cowboy U about 100 times in the next week, so don't fret.  

I will give this clue as to decade: Somewhere between 1960 and 1980.  

And everyone simply MUST vote for Jeepers Creepers at the Rondo Awards.  

Danise

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2004, 09:13:41 AM »

They'll be showing Cowboy U about 100 times in the next week, so don't fret.  

I remember the days that if you missed the first time, you missed it for good.  You were lucky to catch a rerun.  

I sometimes forget that now days if you miss something you have a million chances to see it again.   Gotta love it.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2004, 09:16:54 AM »

Holy moley on rye.  I thought this contest would stump everyone, with or without the clue above.  So, I've already had four correct answers!  Still, keep sending them, because the sparkling prize goes to the randomly chosen Highest Winner.  Maybe I spelled out one of the clues just a little too much.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »

The most wonderful non-hit I ever saw was Baby.

From that first duet, with Todd Graff and Liz Callaway considering what their baby might be like, I was in absolute ecstasy.  The female trio, I Want It All, was so wonderful, I thought "Wow.  It can't get better than this."  But of course Liz' rendition of The Story Goes On was the most thrilling performance of a new song I've ever seen on stage.  And the love songs: I think I Chose Right is the best love song to hit Broadway since the 1970's; And What If We Had Loved Like That fills me with such emotion, I can't speak of it.

If I go into the reasons I think it wasn't a hit, I'd be going in to some very controversial topics, so I'll just say that, among singers I know, the songs from Baby are performed more often than any other show of the past two decades.  In that sense, it's a hit - it's never been forgotten.

Now, speaking of forgotten...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2004, 09:41:05 AM »

I will not watch a remake of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, just like I won’t watch the remake of The Goodbye Girl.

Jay thank you for the interesting movie review.  

LauraII your mother sounds like my mother.  I tried very hard, though I’m sure my children will say I didn’t succeed, not to criticize their cleaning efforts.  I would sneak back later & correct what wasn’t up to my standards.  Our older son moved home for a year and I would quietly rearrange the dishwasher after he put his dishes in.  After he left our younger son moved home.  One day when they were both here and the younger son had put his dishes in the dishwasher, the older son commented that I would just move them around.  And all that time I thought I was being so discreet. LOL-I stopped moving the dishes around after that.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2004, 09:51:17 AM »

I never saw BABY in NYC (sob, sob), but having done the show (played Alan two years ago), I certainly concur that it deserved to be a smash hit. Amazing the things that make it on Broadway and what falls by the wayside. I would have thought that this show would have been a theater party dream.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2004, 09:51:29 AM »

Hey, I was just trolling the net for some new smiley faces and came across the following:

What is Bandwidth?
Bandwidth is a measurement of how much data is transferred across the internet. Bandwidth usage is metered and priced, similar to your electric bill. Each time you post a link to a graphic on my site, and every time anyone views that graphic, the amount of bandwidth usage I am responsible for increases. The bandwidth used by this web site is not free.

Other WebMasters may also have to pay for their bandwidth. Taking bandwidth without asking permission is illegal, just as if you stole items from your neighbor's house. If you want to use graphics from any site, first acquire permission, then copy the graphic files to your own server, then link to the files on your own server, and pay for the bandwidth yourself.

I didn't know that linking to a smiley was stealing from the site.  Here's the site I found that on.

http://www.kurrus.net/bandwidth.html

Is this true?

I know I maybe should have put this on the tech board but I wanted everyone to see this.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:13:47 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jed

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2004, 09:53:15 AM »

I am surprised we haven't seen Jed in the last few hours (if I recall correctly). Hmm unless I missed his plans...maybe he has a hot date!

Haha!  You should know me better than that by now, dearie. :)  Actually, I was just pulling the same stunt you did the night before and didn't get online after 7pm or so.  Unseemly, I know.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2004, 09:58:10 AM »

Oh my....music videos are mostly not very good....but COUNTRY MUSIC videos....  They are the Velveeta of Music Videos.  

DRDANISE it's true - and that is why some Smilies are NOT linkable.  Others are perfectly fine to use.  The site that doesn't want you to "hot" link are usually fairly explicit about it.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:00:32 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »

Well after five minutes....I think Mugami IS Miss Swan.  I like Brandie.  I think BK did some nice editing for a BIG COUNTRY effect at the beginning, and some nice editing where the contestants said one thing and the COWBOY U guys contradicted them.

Frank and Amir in the guys.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 10:15:29 AM by JRand53 »

Jed

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2004, 10:13:14 AM »

Aha!  Me thinks I cracked the Unseemly Trivia Question!  Oh yes, I think I cracked it!

Best get out the super glue before mom notices the crack!  (She always says, "Don't play ball in the house.")
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

MBarnum

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2004, 10:13:16 AM »

JRand53, your review of THE CARETAKERS hit it pretty much right on the nose...I thought Diane McBain was very good too...and I always enjoy Van Williams..and Joan and her carefully lit scenes! LOL! Oh my!

DIT, am so glad about Archie's return home!

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2004, 10:16:34 AM »

Jane, Mummy's was a very nice restaurant! I enjoyed my meal very much. Mark had the scampi, and he thought it was just OK. Jeff had the meatballs in sauce and didn't care for it, I had the lamb and loved it...they thought my choice tasted like dog food. Hmmm.

Lots of great atmosphere...very Egyptian looking with authentic Egyptian music...well, actually Egyptian dance club music, but nice never the less.

Afterwards we painted the town red...and  I was in bed at 4:00am this morning! Ugh. I am very tired right now having only gotten about 4 hours of sleep...I am sure a nap will be in order today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2004, 10:16:40 AM »

Shawn. Judd, and Rocco rock!

Danise

« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2004, 10:21:11 AM »

Well after five minutes....I think Mugami IS Miss Swan.  I like Debbie.  I think BK did some nice editing for a BIG COUNTRY effect at the beginning, and some nice editing where the contestants said one thing and the COWBOY U guys contradicted them.

And they were riding tall in the saddle--until the blister broke!  LOL!  :)  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2004, 10:25:50 AM »

Speaking of the ever-gorgeous Van Williams, remember that DICK VAN DYKE SHOW episode where he played Clark Rice ("No Rice at My Wedding" was the title), a very appealing and charismatic army hunk whom Laura was very attracted to. I still have visions of Van's muscular physique about to pop out of that army uniform they had him in.

I was HEARTSICK when THE GREEN HORNET lasted only a single season.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2004, 10:29:29 AM »

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cowboy_u_04/series.jhtml

COWBOY U official site.

I think MrBK also made some of the music choices.  LOL

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2004, 10:36:03 AM »

Yes, BABY should have been a hit.  I saw a college production at Western Washington University and a local community production here in Olympia and both were fantastic.  I love the CD and would love to hear what changes Maltby and Shire have since made for the show.  I don’t know why it wasn’t a hit.  Maybe it’s just a small show that needs to be in a small (meaning not ON Broadway) theater.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2004, 11:07:36 AM »

For the first time ever, I has answered the Unseemly Trivia Contest!  However, when I sent my answers to Bruce, I called it the Unseemly Trivia "Question".  I hope that that doesn't disqualify me! :-\

Well, I must go to work (to make up hours so that I don't have to use vacation time) then I have to usher for Kate Clinton's performance tonight.  I'll be out and about the rest of the day and won't even be back home until late tonight.  Post away!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2004, 11:22:35 AM »

I will also tell you that I never understood how CATS was such a big hit. The plot if there was one dealt with people auditioning for a place in heaven.

So that’s what the plot was about?  We saw that as a family, a family of cat lovers, and truly disliked the play.  It was such a disappointment after the hype.  

Danise

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2004, 11:31:48 AM »

I have to say that Cats lost it's charm for me about 15 minutes into the play.  

It holds the record for the only show I started looking at my watch and wondering, "How much longer?".  I don't think I would ever want to go see it again.  

I don't own the DVD and if someone gave it to me, I think I would either sneak it back to the store for an exchange or it would collect a lot of dust because I would never crack the wrapper.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2004, 11:35:19 AM »

MBarnum I’m glad you didn’t fall asleep driving home after you painted the town red.  How long a drive is it?  The restaurant sounds fun but was there much to eat for a vegetarian?

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2004, 12:19:33 PM »

Hey all. Well I'm glad I didn't win that one item on ebay yesterday. Because the same seller put up 2 more identical. So I should be able to get one of them. I am surprised though because the seller has not responded to my emails asking if they would sell me the item. And they have not responded to my request for an invoice. With 99% positive feedback, don't most sellers want to get paid :)

(oh and this purchase does not count for you guys hitting me, cause it was what I wanted yesterday :))

Jane

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2004, 12:25:19 PM »

Good luck Jennifer. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2004, 12:34:18 PM »

"Merrily We Roll Along" was wonderful on its first OC album and when I saw it produced by a theatre group (non-professional) specifically formed for the event, it was wonderful. The audience could not have all known the CD and no one seemed perplexed by the show at all. I saw it a few years back performed by a University theare group and it did not work as well - production and actors were not as good either.
Musically  "Merrily" is a gem. The whole idea of the named sweatshirts etc used when the were trying to get things right on Brodway, looks silly.  When I first saw it there were no problems with character identification. I like the other cast recordings but I still prefer the original and its book.
"Cats"  I saw twice (yes, by choice) in London and once here. The London production was great as were the audiences who probably knew the poems well (as Australians of my generation would too). I have always viewed the show as an entertainment and not as a book musical. No way could "Cats" have succeeded for so long if it were not entertaining.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2004, 12:34:41 PM »

Afterwards we painted the town red...and  I was in bed at 4:00am this morning! Ugh. I am very tired right now having only gotten about 4 hours of sleep...I am sure a nap will be in order today!

Well, well, well.  (That is three wells.)  Aren't you the wild thang?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up