Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: LITTLE KNOWN FACTS  (Read 76394 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:LITTLE KNOWN FACTS
« Reply #360 on: October 18, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »

To get to Angle Inlet  in Minnesota you have to go through Ontario. It is located on Lake of the Woods.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #361 on: October 18, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »

Page 13 of Awe and Curiousity!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #362 on: October 18, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »

Part of I-94 in Minnesota actually follows old Metis caravan trails going to St. Paul, MN.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #363 on: October 18, 2007, 09:04:35 PM »

Finished watching this "documentary" included on The Jazz Singer DVD - just another complete bore-fest from Spark Hill Productions, the nadir of these people who do these things.  Yes, there's interesting footage, nice factual information, all presented without a point of view, without any kind of structure or drama, and believe me, there was plenty of drama.  Apparently Spark Hill's motto is Take The Money And Run.  They don't even list a director.

td

• td
« Reply #364 on: October 18, 2007, 09:24:28 PM »

td - great link.  Thanks!

You're welcome.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #365 on: October 18, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »

Just got back from dinner with James Ivory. We had the best time! My girlfriend Kris made 2 kinds of raita, one spicy, one the normal one. There was a shrimp dish, a chicken dish, delicious rice with fruit and pistachios, broccoli in a garlic sauce, and for dessert, a flourless chocolate cake.

I brought 2 bottles of a Pinot Noir recommended to me by a lover of Indian food at our local, very good, wine shop. TheHHW comments about avoiding tannins and oak were right on the money! And also a bottle of Sancere? (Can't remember how to spell it.) There were 9 of us and we seemed to put away quite a bit of alcohol. James Ivory made martinis for us before dinner, too.

I was assigned the DJ task and put together 3 hours of music, with some tunes I wondered if Jim would notice, covers of pieces used in his films, a couple Eartha Kitt cuts from THE WILD PARTY (I never saw Jim's version of this but will probably try to get it.)

Jim seemed totally entertained and wanted to know where everyone was from, so we had to go around the table and tell our origins. It turns out that Jim is from Oregon, the same small town where Greg went to school (near Clamath (sp?) Falls.

He told a lot of great stories, including watching ROOM WITH A VIEW at a screening in England for the Queen. She had a lady-in-waiting on either side of her, but next to the lady was Jim, and he imitated her reaction when the nude scene took place. She lifted up her knee (he noted that she had very tiny feet!) and then started laughing her head off.

He also talked about all the "relationship meetings" he had gone to. This is something that agents would do, and they would usually happen when as star was on their way up, or their career was declining. He met with Sally Field and John Travolta when they were on the decline. He wanted to cast Travolta in SLAVES OF NY but Travolta didn't think the role was right for him, because at the time, Travolta considered himself a character actor and there were only 6 characters he could do.

He also said that he hasn't been watching much tv because the air conditioner drowns out his TV, but he will start watching it again once it gets cooler. (I'm assuming this is in his NY apartment, not his estate in upstate NY.)

We all laughed so much, and I can't repeat a lot of it, because this is a family site, but it was a great evening!

Now...back to working on taxes before our meeting tomorrow!

And dinner again with James tomorrow night but at a slightly larger table this time!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

td

• td
« Reply #366 on: October 18, 2007, 09:33:31 PM »

Finished watching this "documentary" included on The Jazz Singer DVD - just another complete bore-fest from Spark Hill Productions, the nadir of these people who do these things.  Yes, there's interesting footage, nice factual information, all presented without a point of view, without any kind of structure or drama, and believe me, there was plenty of drama.  Apparently Spark Hill's motto is Take The Money And Run.  They don't even list a director.

And. . .they don't give John Williams any credit for the use of his themes from JFK. . . .I preferred the archival clips within the documentary to the actual documentary.
I'm so happy to have this set, being a Jolson freak from way, way back, but almost as important to me is that WINNIE LIGHTNER is seen TWICE - once in that short subject on the Warners' 25th, and secondly in the "Finale" from GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY.

td

• td
« Reply #367 on: October 18, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »

DR Edisaurus - thank you so much for the complete coverage of your dinner with Mr. Ivory; it make me feel as if all of the HHW community was there.   ;D

Edisaurus

« Reply #368 on: October 18, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »

Jane! That's terrible! I missed it---was this some sort of Sherlock-related incident?

Vibes for speedy healing!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Tomovoz

« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »

DR Edisaurus - thank you so much for the complete coverage of your dinner with Mr. Ivory; it make me feel as if all of the HHW community was there.   ;D

What he said.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #370 on: October 18, 2007, 09:44:26 PM »

Loved the post about the dinner, Edi.

td

• td
« Reply #371 on: October 18, 2007, 09:52:49 PM »

Oh, DR EDisaurus, I have THE WILD PARTY - the edited version on vhs and the restored version on dvd. . .

Edisaurus

« Reply #372 on: October 18, 2007, 09:57:29 PM »

HHW WAS there, in that Eldar (Nature Boy) and Guy Haines (You Must Believe In Spring) were both part of the music mix, and we discussed the NYMF and Greg's cameo on stage. James got a kick out of the story about the woman recognizing Greg on the street a few days later: "Hey! It's Oh Crap, You Want My Name!"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 09:58:10 PM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #373 on: October 18, 2007, 09:59:26 PM »

James said to make sure and watch "his" version, which I guess is the restored one.

Edisaurus

« Reply #374 on: October 18, 2007, 10:01:26 PM »

OK...gotta crash so I'll be fresh for the tax meeting tomorrow. Nytol!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #375 on: October 18, 2007, 10:33:55 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful evening Edi!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #376 on: October 18, 2007, 11:05:11 PM »

Well, I need to turn in early.  Good night, all.

8)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2007, 12:01:49 AM »

Good night, Adriana Patti, Jane, Tomovoz, DearReaderLaura, George, elmore3003, FJL, JoseSPiano.

Actually, at this time of the night it was my mother who was online lurking ( automatically logged in as me), as I was in my astronomy class.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up