Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BK STRIKE  (Read 33072 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE BK STRIKE
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 08:17:38 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And that's about it for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2007, 08:18:32 AM »

I wanted to tackle getting the internet signal hooked up to my new computer.

But I was so overcome with "tired" I just couldn't.

Tomorrow.  That's it.  Tomorrow.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »

DR Ben - Ah!  I remember The Rialto - well, at least Cineplex Odeon and that cinema ride.  Thanks for the "reminder".
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2007, 08:19:06 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And that's about it for now.

I'm sure that was a gi-normous evolution unto itself.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »

What's different in the 9 p.m. slot on Thursday nights from last year's slate during which you recorded or watched "Supernatural"?  Thursdays seem the same to me.

I was watching it in standard definition recorded off analog cable. I didn't want to see it in SD any more.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2007, 08:21:50 AM »

Yes, absolutely - thanks for asking!

It's called Clear Blue Tuesday.  It follows the lives of eleven individuals on one Tuesday each year for six years - starting on 9/11 and ending on 9/11/2007.  It's not really about 9/11 per se, -- it's about the lives of these individuals and the directions they took after 9/11.

The actors in the movie are people who were actually affected in some way by 9/11.  The story is part true stories of each of them -- the script grew out os many hours of the cast talking about their personal stories and improvising from there. The characters are all based on their portrayers.  And the story is told, in part, through original songs that were written by the cast.  The cast consists of professional musicians and singers - people who are known in NY if you follow those circles, although would not be known to the greater population.  

For example, Jeremy Schoenfeld, who in addition to acting in the film wrote a number of the songs for the film, is a fairly well known musician -- he just did a couple of solo shows at Birdland, and is the composer/lyricist of the musical DRIFT, which played at NYMF in 2006.   Or Greg Naughton (son of James), who with his band has played in venues nationally.  Or Erin Hill, who plays harp for the Off  Broadway show The Fantastiks (scored for piano and harp) and plays weekends at the Ritz Carlton.  She is also a songwriter and her music has been used in films and on TV.  Cassandra Kubinski is also an award-winning singer/songwriter who regularly performs in NY, and has been on TV and in films.  

Cassie Kubinski played Mirette in the Jones-Schmidt show when I scored it for Goodspeed.  Lord, that was 9 years ago! She's been through college by now.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:22:10 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »

I, too, watched "Bones" last night (recorded Tuesday evening).  Apart from being sensational-looking in high def, it was a very good show, with some touching moments, to boot.

After seeing Ryan O'Neal's face light up when his daughter entered the trailer at the prison where the family was having a Christmas get-together, I couldn't stop myself from wondering if he was imagining -for the sake of proferring a genuine reaction  -- that she was his real daughter, Tatum, from whom he is estranged.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2007, 08:24:53 AM »

I was watching it in standard definition recorded off analog cable. I didn't want to see it in SD any more.

I certainly understand THAT!  Of course, I'm pretty tired of networks airing re-runs in SD when the original airings were in HD.   Even the HD channels on ComCast air some of the HD shows in SD and it ticks me off to no end.  I feel like I'm being cheated.  Of course, the argument would be that I am not being cheated since they consider the transmission of any format over those channels to be HD transmissions regardless of whether they fill the 16 X 9 ratio.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »

To give you all a feel for how "tired" it was at my house last night, I was setting my TV to record "Project Runway" and "Life" at 7 p.m.  And I was well into bed by 9 p.m.

The days have been long, it seems, even though the sunlight portions grow shorter and shorter.

singdaw

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:40 AM »

Wow!  DR Julie, that is so cool...  Thanks for sharing all the info.

Can't wait to see it!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »

Hey, Jumpin' Jose Flash!

[size=8]S H I P O O P I[/size]

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »

I certainly understand THAT!  Of course, I'm pretty tired of networks airing re-runs in SD when the original airings were in HD.   Even the HD channels on ComCast air some of the HD shows in SD and it ticks me off to no end.  I feel like I'm being cheated.  Of course, the argument would be that I am not being cheated since they consider the transmission of any format over those channels to be HD transmissions regardless of whether they fill the 16 X 9 ratio.

I've never heard of this. I don't think Comcast is to blame. I'm guessing the engineer at the station forgot to throw the high def switch and that's why it was broadcast in SD. Happens here occasionally with almost all of the various stations, and I get VERY bent out of shape when it does. I complained so much to the ABC affiliate that the engineer gave me his direct phone number at the station to call if it ever happens during prime time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2007, 08:31:21 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Movies (in a theatre):
"E.T." - four times
"Poltergeist" - four times (maybe even five or six times)
"On Golden Pond" - three times
"Like Water For Chocolate" - At least five times - It was one of those films I would bring friends back to to see with me.
"Cinema Paradiso" - I saw the original version at least five times.  -Although, I only saw the longer "Director's Cut" once in a theatre... since I didn't want to go into convulsive bouts of sobbing again in public.  ;)

As for Musicals and Plays...  Hmmm...
The LuPone Gypsy three times.
"Hairspray" - Four times - three times in NYC, once in LA.

...And I would walk into and stand in the back for the shows during the Sondheim Celebration at the Kennedy Center since I was a rehearsal pianist for both Sweeney Todd and A Little Night Music.  -But I actually paid for my own house seats for Sunday in the Park with George that summer - Raul Esparza was an amazing Georges/George.

Oh... And each time I would go back into Mamma Mia! on the road, I was required to audit the show.  However, after the third or fourth time, I was able to audit the show from the audience (and still get paid for the audited performance).  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:05 AM »

Hey, Jumpin' Jose Flash!

Does Jose flash, too?

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »

Off to clean up for lunch out with friends today.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »

DR Julie - Thanks for the movie info.  I'm looking forward to seeing it, and have heard good things about from some of your cast members (Becca, Asa, etc.).

-Frankly, if I had somehow ended up working on the movie, I don't think I would have been able to make it through your final "gallery" scene without breaking down in tears every couple of minutes.  Heck, I still get emotional whenever I head down to the Financial District and start to sense that I'm near Ground Zero.  However, it looks like "Clear Blue Tuesday" will finally "help" me with that.  Sounds like a true Labor of Love.  And of Honor.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2007, 08:39:09 AM »

Does Jose flash, too?

Only on odd-numbered Tuesdays during months ending in the letter "r".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2007, 08:40:09 AM »

Well... It's been a couple of days, and if I don't go now, well...

Off to the gym!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2007, 08:52:27 AM »

DR Julie, I also want to say how happy it makes me to see you back with us!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2007, 08:58:21 AM »

I am so happy to have finally found a DVDr (via Ioffer.com) of the wonderful Maureen O'Hara/Eric Stoltz TV movie from 2000 titled THE LAST DANCE! Hurrah!

I had taped it when it originally aired on NBC  or CBS or whatever and watched it many times and cried each and ever time! I loaned it to my sister. When I got it back I found that my brother-in-law ($#!&*) had taped a football game over it!

So for the last several years I have been trying to find another copy and just yesterday I hit paydirt!

Of course it would be nice if an official DVD release of it would occur, but that has yet to happen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2007, 08:59:52 AM »

Negotiations were going well until BK walked out in a huff.  Another meeting is set for later today, and the only issue left is one of mopping.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2007, 09:00:18 AM »

I forgot to mention that they eventually did make the cast announcement - at intermission.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2007, 09:00:25 AM »

I am also happy to see DR Julie posting again!

Now if we could just get DR Rodzinski and DR TPunk and DR DantheMan back to posting! I do miss them all.

Rodzinski and I have been playing phone tag for several weeks now, but it just isn't the same, you know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2007, 09:00:54 AM »

I hope I didn't give the impression that Miss Espinoza wasn't good - she was excellent - I just missed and liked Julie Reiber better.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2007, 09:01:31 AM »

Oh, and good morning, good day, how are you this beautiful day?

Danise

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »

Hi folks!

I was here before but didn't get the chance to post.  All heck broke loose.

I received my medical "release" and the doctor but on there I couldn't do anything (even data entry)--all he checked off is that I could "sit".   Well, Hello, do you think they are going to let me go back to work and just sit and smile at people? OY!!!!

He also put on there I am on narcotics (err over the counter Tylenol is a narcotic?  :o ) for pain.  

He dated my return to work as 12/15/07 and then crossed that out and put 12/03/07 (est).

I called and told him they won't let me go back to work with that kind of report.  I was told that he is concerned about the crackle in my lungs (totally different from what he said when I was in his office) and he really didn't want me to go back to work until he sees me again next Tuesday.  Now I'm not sure when I'm going back to work.

Oh, and I feel fine, BTW.  I still have that cough but I am taking my meds.

??? ??? ??? :( :( :( :-\ :-\ :-\

Sorry to grouse but I needed to vent.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

Maybe I was flashing people because I was upset about the doctor report. :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2007, 09:03:23 AM »

Did anyone post this very funny but rude broadcast "Heap of Trouble"  from Wales?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrN-YZ8keSM
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:05:27 AM by elmore3003 »

Danise

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »

How exciting, DR Julie!  Please keep us up to date (what you can).  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »

Negotiations were going well until BK walked out in a huff.  

Wow, his speed is improving... last time he walked out in a minute and a huff! (gratuitous Marx Brothers reference *rim shot*)

I hope I didn't give the impression that Miss Espinoza wasn't good - she was excellent - I just missed and liked Julie Reiber better.
Glad to hear... while I don't know Ms. Espinoza well, I remember her as quite the class act dealing with the screaming teeny-bopper "Wicked" and "B'klyn" fans.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up