Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FACTOIDS  (Read 21070 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FACTOIDS
« on: January 27, 2004, 12:02:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the factoids, you know the topic, therefore the only thing left to do is post until the cows come home.

8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 12:02:22 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FACTOIDS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 12:07:12 AM »

Oh, and a REAL happy birthday to MusicGuy!  Even though we celebrated yesterday because our weird calendar is so hard to make sense of, we still get to party and wear our pointy party hats and colored tights and pantaloons.  So there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 12:18:26 AM »

Uh, BK, it's kinda hard to comment on the Oscar nominations when they won't be announced for a few hours yet.

(picky picky picky.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 12:21:45 AM »

Happy real birthday to Music Guy
Real happy birthday to Music Guy
Happy real birth happy real day
Happy birthday to you.  Really.

(It works better with the music.   :-\)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 12:42:56 AM »

Happy birthday, MusicGuy!!! Enjoy your special day!

Off to Philly in a few hours. Take care! I hope to pop in as often as I can!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 12:47:59 AM »

Happy day to MusicGuy!!!

Haven't really seen very many movies this year, so I doubt I'll have much to say about the nominations when they're announced.  But I have no doubt there will be plenty of side topics to comment on.  But for now, to bed I go!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 02:12:27 AM »

Happy Birthday, MusicGuy!

Welcome to God(des)-Dom Panni!

Happy Academy Award Nomination Announcement Day!

Last night (just a few hours ago, actually), I saw "Carmen" at the Seattle Opera.  It was quite good.  I'd never seen it live, only the Julia Migenes/Placido Domingo video and when I was at college, it was the very first stage experience I'd ever had.  A minute or so after the overture started, I realized something.  I whispered to my friend, "I just realized that the orchestra is playing and there is no amplification at all!"  When the singers started singing, it was so wonderful to hear (quite easily) all of their voices with absolutely no microphones anywhere!  I can't remember the last time I heard vocal music (other than Tony Bennett's one song off mic) that wasn't electronically amplified.  It was so refreshing to experience that after so many years the of overamplification that happens here in Olympia...even in smaller theaters.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2004, 04:19:20 AM »

I thought that I missed them. Really don't care. But would like to see Johnny Depp receive a nomination and although he is a long shot I think Sean Astin should be acknowledge for his work too.
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2004, 04:40:58 AM »

Fascinating thoughts on writing in Hollywood late last night, scribes Pogue and Panni.  There's a reason re-writers are so hot to get credit through arbitration...  There's a reason studios think they can handle writers like replacable robots...  There's a reason people stay in the Hollywood writing profession....

The answer to all these questions involves an S with a verticle line through it.

I may be fortunate enough to toil in a field where the writer is considered essential (love the Peter Hall quote), but I do it for roughly one-thousandth of what my Hollywood friends earn.  It's a choice.

Whenever I see the slogan "choose life" I want to scratch out the "life" and make it "poverty" for that's my motto.

You know, I'm not quite coherent at this hour.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004, 05:03:25 AM »

At the Oscars, will Bob Hope be hosting (in white tie and tails)?  And will Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak and David Niven and Joan Fontaine and George Chakiris be presenters?   And will there be spectacular musical numbers writeen especially for the show featuring some of Hollywood's biggest stars?  Will I be able to hum any one of the nominated songs (let alone still know any of them ten years from now)?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 05:04:05 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2004, 05:18:26 AM »

It's 8:04am here in NYC. The Oscar nominations should be announced very soon but since they are not up yet I have nothing to talk about. Although even when they are announced I will have little to talk about since I rarely go to movies in a theatre. I know that I will have missed every single film nominated for anything this year (unless Finding Nemo gets a nod). I spent too much time in 2003 celebrating my 50th birthday, going to Key West on vacation and then taking our long-awaited Christmas vacation to London.

Happy Real Birthday to our own Wonderful Guy, Mr. Music Guy (aka Lyn).

For your London shot of the day (not many shots left) here is a picture of me at the Internet station in our apartment building sending you all good thoughts from London.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 05:19:35 AM »

Notice Henry the vacuum cleaner near my feet. Now I know the English have a reputation for being eccentric, but naming your vacuum???

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2004, 05:52:23 AM »

Happy Birthday MusicGuy.

Hmmmm, interesting. No Oscars noms for Cold Mountain (for Best Picture) or Nicole Kidman (or Tom Cruise for that matter).

The Best Picture noms I can remember are: Lord of the Rings, Lost in Translation, Seabiscuit, Mystic river.

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2004, 05:54:03 AM »

DR Emily: I want to take your survey. Why is the link not working? :(

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 06:05:21 AM »

Ben

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2004, 06:12:51 AM »

As I said in an earlier post, I have not seen a single film in any of the major nominations. I did see Finding Nemo which got nominated in Animated Feature, Sound and Original Screenplay.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 06:17:19 AM »

The other Best Picture film was Master and Commander. I was not surprised about the other noms. But I was about this one. I really thought Cold Mountain was going to be nominated.

I find it interesting that the winners at the Golden Globes were nominated (in acting categories). But most of the other nominations are different (naomi watts, samantha morton ...).

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 06:20:01 AM »

HAPPY NATAL DAY, OH MIGHTY MUSIC GUY!

WELCOME TO NIRVANA, PANNI!

What about Alex North's score for 2001 being dumped in favor of an all-classical score?  That seems to have come on the heels of TORN CURTAIN.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 06:21:25 AM »

Can we just take a look at those nominees for Best Actress and say, "What the f***?"

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2004, 06:25:07 AM »

Thanks to Jennifer I just saw the nominations.  I have not seen any nominated best film or best performance, nor do any of them interest me.  I am very happy that "Triplets of Bellville" was nominated for both Best Animated Film and Best Song (Soundtrack CD is supposed to be released today).  Otherwise, I don't really care.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2004, 06:31:38 AM »

Happy Real Birthday, MusicGuy, wherever you are!

To those DR's who were of the opinion that it was a good thing that my big meeting was postponed this morning, how right you were!
I spent one helluva night which culminated in my hallucinating that I couldn't go to the bathroom because there was a huge crowd already lined up to go in there. Once that was straightened out (I told the crowd to scram) I realized that I was parched and had to have water immediately - only  I didn't have the strength to go to the fridge and get some. Suffice it to say, that I would be in no shape for a script meeting this morning.
As for the Oscar noms, I'm glad IN AMERICA did well. It's a fine film.
And even though I haven't as yet seen it - me culpa - I hear the THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS is a wonderful movie -- and it's Canadian. So it's nice to see it recognized in the Writing and Foreign Film categories.
I'll have more later.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 06:34:33 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2004, 06:40:39 AM »

I just read the Best Song nominations. "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" from A MIGHTY WIND?? As I remember, that song is hilarious because it takes every song writing cliche and milks it big time. Do you think they've nominated it as a straight love song?

td

• td
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2004, 06:53:50 AM »

I told BK in an email quite a while ago, that he should contact Annette O'Toole (and hubby Michael Keaton) because I felt - then and there- that their song "Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" would most definitely score an Oscar nom.

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2004, 06:57:05 AM »

Wow DR Panni, that sounds like you had a terrible night. Certainly not one fitting a goddess. Feel better.

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2004, 07:19:54 AM »

Panni, welcome to Goddesdom! I think you will feel much better now that you are sitting on a cloud! I do hope you feel better soon!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And a big ole HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR Musicguy!!!!!!!![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D   :D   ;)   :)   :o   8)   :-*   :D   ;)   :)   ;)   ;D   :-*   8)   :o [/move]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 07:20:47 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2004, 07:23:25 AM »

I liked ALL of the songs in A MIGHTY WIND and wished more of them had been nominated.

Biggest shock for me was Scarlett Johanssen not scoring a nomination for either of her films this year: THE GIRL WITH THE PEARL EARRING or LOST IN TRANSLATION. Astounding.

Albert FInney was considered a shoo-in on merit, but he (like Russell Crowe) had announced previously he wouldn't attend the Oscars even if nominated, so I feel the actors probably thought, "Why bother nominating them?"

COLD MOUNTAIN's lack of a Best Picture nomination was kind of a shock, but given that its reviews have been all over the map, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

A couple of out-of-the-blue nominations like the 13 year old girl scoring a Best Actress nod for THE WHALE RIDER. I think that makes her the youngest Best Actress nominee ever. I know Tatum O'Neal and Jodie Foster were both younger when they got their first nominations, but they were in supporting categories.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 07:25:23 AM »

I told BK in an email quite a while ago, that he should contact Annette O'Toole (and hubby Michael Keaton) because I felt - then and there- that their song "Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" would most definitely score an Oscar nom.

DR td, I'm sure you mean her husband Michael McKean.

Emily

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2004, 07:28:28 AM »

DR Emily: I want to take your survey. Why is the link not working? :(

The reason the link isn't working is because the entire linguistics site is down.

Hopefully there is a McGill Linguistics version of a Mr. Mark Bakalor working on solving the site problems as I type this. :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2004, 07:50:09 AM »

ANother surprising thing about the nominations: neither of the two biggest nominations-getters (LORD OF THE RINGS or MASTER AND COMMANDER) scored a single acting nomination. Pictures bigger than the actors inside them? Still, I was a bit disappointed Sean Astin didn't get a nomination, and I was also pulling for Paul Bettany in MASTER AND COMMANDER.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2004, 08:02:03 AM »

...Now I know the English have a reputation for being eccentric, but naming your vacuum???

How about the more personal battery operated appliances - I wonder if they have names stenciled upon them?

der Brucer (maybe Gollum isn't the only one with a "precious")..."evil...."
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up