Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FACTOIDS  (Read 20850 times)

Ben

Re:FACTOIDS
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »

Thanks, Jennifer. That link got me in :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2004, 10:53:10 AM »

Okay, here is the trivia contest question, answer and winners:

This off-Broadway play was the only produced play by a notable Academy Award-winning thespian. In said play (really three one-acts), a young actor made a very early appearance. The young actor would go on to become one of the most respected and famous film actors of his generation. Name the off-Broadway play, the playwright and the actor.

One Night Stands of a Noisy Passenger
Shelley Winters
Robert DeNiro

Congratulations to our High Winners (I really didn't think anyone would get the answer): sgurey, Dan-in-Toronto, and Jrand.  And, our Electronic Hat has randomly chosen our Highest Winner - Dan-in-Toronto.  So, if Dan will e-mail me his handy-dandy address, I will get his and our last two winners' sparkling prizes posted tomorrow.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2004, 10:54:22 AM »

I've tried repeatedly to get to the site but I can't seem to get there. This link below is incomplete. Any suggestions?

www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/li...faculty/boberg/

Try this: Survey

0r in English:

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/linguistics/faculty/boberg/

Ignore the ... if you highlight the link with the mouse you will see it correctly spelled out

der Linguistics-link-fixer-upper Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2004, 10:59:03 AM »

I'm sorry DR Ben: It was my fault. I just copied DR Emily's message. And didn't realize that it didn't copy the link properly. :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2004, 10:59:43 AM »

Oscars!  What Can I Say?

I think one of the reasons we all look forward to the awards season is because we love to see how often (if any) each nominating group agrees with us; and we love to argue about the inclusions and ommissions: both good and bad.

Personally, I would have loved to have seen Ellen DeGeneres get a Best Supporting Actress nod for Mr. Wrong, I mean, Finding Nemo.

I am glad to see Sean Penn, as well as the very scary Johnny Depp, get nominated.  I would have been very upset to see Mr. Penn win an Oscar, a year or so ago, for I Am Sam, but I would quite happy to see him win for Mystic River.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2004, 11:17:17 AM »

Good morning!  Good afternoon!

Combos and Frangos - The Breakfast/Brunch of Champions!

<burp>

Happy Birthday, DR Music Guy!  I shall put on some of your CDs in honor of your natal anniversary.

Welcome to The Club, DR Panni!  Does this mean you'll be making a bunch of Hungarian goodies for the weekly get-togethers now? ;-)  *And Dohnanyi is one of my favorite composers!  I've always loved his "Variations on Nursery Tune" (Twinkle-Twinkle or Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman or...) for piano and orchestra.  And continuing in the Hungarian mode, Firkusny playing the Dvorak Piano Concerto... :-)

As for the Oscar noms...  The only nominated movie I've seen has been Finding Nemo.  -I'm hoping to catch In America either tonight or tomorrow.  However, I have heard about all the nominated movies, and read about all of them, so... 'Nuff said.  For now.  But I was pleased to hear Johnny Depp's name read this morning.  And I still got a "weird" reaction to Sean Penn's nomination - guess there's too much baggage (Mr. Madonna - ?!?!?) associated with him to really feel good about him/the nomination - and I don't think I'm alone in that mindset.
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2004, 11:17:59 AM »

It hasn't started snowing yet, but every tv and radio station and every internet website is giving totally different predictions as to how much there will be... which is why I don't trust any of them.  When they range from 3 inches to 2 feet you have to figure that they are all just making wild guesses.

I took the Larry Moore interview with me to lunch.  It's very interesting.  I have one question... he claims he was working on the orchestrations for Encore's BOYS FROM SYRACUSE, but Encores has always promoted the fact that they used only the original orchestrations of their shows (and usually only credited the original orchestrator).  So Larry's statement makes me wonder why Encores would claim this if it wasn't true.

The book on the MGM female stars gets stranger and stranger as it goes along.  It claims that Mickey Rooney got Lana Turner pregnant while filming an Andy Hardy and it was one of her many abortions.  The book has no list of source material, so I think it's more a bunch of rumors than facts.  It claims that Clark Gable (who had affairs with almost all of his leading ladies) also slept with Billy Haines to get a job!
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2004, 11:30:08 AM »

Thank you for the welcomes to Mt. Olympus, DRs TCB and JoseSPiano! Right now I'm too sick to enjoy the clouds. Have been trying to work, but I'm shivering, my eyes are watering, I'm coughing like Camille and I'm going through enough Kleenex to clear a forest. Other than that I feel dandy.
Dan-in-Toronto - Congrats on winning the trivia quiz. Hope you enjoy the new Lexus. (Am I hallucinating again?)

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2004, 11:32:38 AM »

Something so bizarre about the linguistics survey.

I had a friend who I talk to everyday fill it out. He lives in Arkansas right now.

After hearing his answers, I can barely believe that we are able to communicate everyday. Almost every term was different. And some, I had never even heard of.

Very interesting.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2004, 11:33:48 AM »

More and more snow here!  

WEL I have read the Joan McCracken bio...The Girl Who Falls Down....very good book.  It seems a bit removed from its subject of course since there are no real interviews with her...and some of what her friends have to say is not really worth reading.....but I enjoyed it.  Captured the time well and McCracken's history certainly coincided with a Golden Age of Broadway.  thanks for the recommendation!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2004, 11:34:33 AM »

I'm going to wander out into the world now. Must go to the drug store to get some over-the-counter cough syrup before my gut bursts from all this hacking. Will also pick up some chicken soup at Art's. If that doesn't cure me, I'm a goner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2004, 11:37:01 AM »

When Larry says "working on" he means restoring them to their playable shape.  They were the original orchestrations, but new parts had to be extracted for the concert.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2004, 11:42:14 AM »

I would be interested to see if my sis took the survey, if we would have the same answers. Or if DRs Emily and Andrea (living in the same city) would have the same answers as me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2004, 11:45:46 AM »

Sad news, again.  According to the telenews, Jack Parr has died.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2004, 11:55:59 AM »

Jack Parr???  Not to be rude, but I thought he'd been dead for twenty years.  He must have been in his nineties.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2004, 11:58:19 AM »

I haven't really had a chance to "study" the Oscar noms, but as usual there's a lot of films I haven't seen.  In fact, the only four I have seen are LOTR:ROTK, Finding Nemo, PotC:CotBP, and A Mighty Wind.

On the other hand, I can proudly say that I haven't seen even one film nominated for a Golden Raspberry Award.

The other trend we've had this year is the films with long titles.  They completely run the Makeup nominations.  Consider:
Thelordoftherings:thereturnoftheking
Masterandcommander:thefarsideoftheworld
Piratesofthecaribbean:thecurseoftheblackpearl

Let's just hope that whoever is assigned presentation of that catagory doesn't have athsma.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2004, 11:59:56 AM »

Late 80s.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2004, 12:17:09 PM »

JMK,  Mike does have the option of asking for an appeal on an arbitration...and given the other writer's comments (if in print), I would think that he could make a good case for one.  While I think the system generally works, there are aberrations in everything.  And if you get a couple of lazy arbiters who aren't going to take the job seriously and study the material meticulously, anything can happen.  But, as I haven't read any of the material, I don't really have an opinion on the merits of either's claim.  Except for the agent's remarks...what kind of crap is that?  You're going to get screwed eventually, so screw somebody else when you can...Really!

Noel, like Panni, I take my work just as seriously as any playwright.  I always say:  "I love my work; I hate my job."  My work is me and the empty page; my job is trying to perserve it from all the varied opinions that are going to try to eviscerate it.  But I don't consider myself a screenwriter.  I consider myself a dramatist.  Actually, I just consider myself a writer.  I've got play in me and novels as well as screenplays.  I have dabbled in all three fields...with varying degrees of success...and hope to continue to dabble in all three fields...successfully...before I'm dead.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2004, 12:19:13 PM »

WEL -- What is the name of that MGM book and the author's name?  It sounds like an entertaining read, if not always a factual retelling of the MGM ladies.  However, I have heard that Clark Gable / Billy Haines story several times over the years.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 12:34:40 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »

Do you guys in the US really call an all-dressed pizza supreme? (I have never heard that term before).

It is also interesting how here we always say a child is in "grade one". Yet my American friends say "first grade".

Also are Canadians the only ones to call a kid's backpack a knapsack?

Okay DR Emily: apparently I am more obsessed with this survey than you are :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2004, 12:26:50 PM »

Panni, vindication is so sweet.  I enjoyed your story last night.  I hope you begin to feel better and sleep peacefully tonight.

Charles Pogue and Panni I was completely engrossed reading your comments on the screen writer’s world.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MUSIC GUY!

Ben I got a kick out of Henry-thanks.

Jennifer thanks for the link.  It may be late morning here but I still hadn’t seen the nominations.

I don’t have time to comment on the nominations and need to keep my posts short today.  I have much to do before I leave Thursday for Bethesda and another MRI.  For those of you who don’t know, I am participating in a four year study for women genetically predisposed to ovarian & breast cancer.  I could use good vibes for nice weather, but then we all could, from Philadelphia to DC & Bethesda.  Weather providing, a very close friend I haven’t seen in years will be driving from Ivyland, PA to join me in Bethesda.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2004, 12:31:40 PM »

Do you guys in the US really call an all-dressed pizza supreme? (I have never heard that term before).

Wasn't "everything on it" one of the choices?  I believe that was my response.  Different restaurants have clever names like deluxe or supreme.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2004, 12:42:37 PM »

DR TCB I think WEL mentioned the book a few days ago....The Golden Girls of MGM...I think!

The cover over Kritzer Time is stunning - I kid you not!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2004, 01:04:55 PM »

DR td, I'm sure you mean her husband Michael McKean.

Thank you for reading my mind, and post, correctly!

The coffee pot must not have had enough java in it this a.m.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2004, 01:07:58 PM »

"  My work is me and the empty page; my job is trying to perserve it from all the varied opinions that are going to try to eviscerate it.
If I weren't so damn ethical, I'd steal that! Very well put. I shall use it, but give credit where credit is due.

Panni

« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2004, 01:14:12 PM »

Good weather vibes, Jane!
The woman who lives in the house next door is an ovarian cancer survivor. (A rare thing, unfortunately. That's why studies like the one you're in, Jane, are so valuable.) She does a huge annual star-studded  benefit in LA every year.

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2004, 01:21:44 PM »

DR Emily, your inbox is full, but, I filled out the survey! ! !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2004, 01:29:59 PM »

Happy Birthday DRMusicGuy.  If you come in the other room, I'll give you your present.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2004, 01:30:28 PM »

Oh, and I voted at Rondo.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2004, 01:33:50 PM »

What Charles said.  That is why writing my books was so much fun (well, not always fun, but always interesting and creatively satisfying - an amazing experience) and why, if I can write more, will continue to be fun.  Because I write what I want and there are no opinions or executives to tell me about "acts" and "arcs" and "journeys" and all those other bullshit phrases which they don't even know the meaning of.  I do it for me and when I'm happy, that's it.  If people like them and respond to them, faboo.  If not, tough beans.  It doesn't mean I don't converse with the people who do the editing, or think about what's being suggested - it's simply that I make the choice, not them, I decide what feels right and doesn't.  That's the way I deal with my friend Margaret - my muse.  If she points something out, I look at it and invariably change it because she's always right.  She never really suggests anything, just that something didn't feel right to her.  The movie and TV business is filled with children who only know from screenwriting classes and recent movies.  They only know what they've heard from others (all those silly catchphrases).  And, sadly, they make the decisions and they give the green-lights, and that is why so much crap comes out year after year.  Even the indie scene is like this now - it's nothing like it was in the sixties or seventies - it's all about landing other jobs or showing off, and if anyone thinks Miramax or Focus are INDIES, think again - they're just smaller versions of major studios.  Could The Honeymoon Killers get made today?  Nope, not in the way it was made then, which is why it's a good film.  Could even Nudie Musical get made today?  Nope, not in the way it was made then, and the way it was made then is why it has endured and why it originally caught everyone by surprise.   Every indie today is slick and professional and perfect-looking, no matter what the cost (although the cost would surprise you in most cases).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up