Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FACTOIDS  (Read 21079 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:FACTOIDS
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2004, 08:06:08 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME TO

GODDESS PANNI!![/move]

Another Happy Birthday to DR MG.

DRKerry - it is just that the first few shots of Miss Diane Lane reminded me of Miss Natalie Wood....amazingly so!

Hmmmmmmm.....nominations.  I will have to study them some more.  I enjoyed MASTER & COMMANDER, PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN, and SEABISCUIT....

Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron would please me if they win.

I also saw just a FEW movies this year so I haven't seen a LOT of the nominees - only the promotions on TV....hmmmmmmmmmm.....

It will be interesting to see.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2004, 08:08:57 AM »

Still, I was a bit disappointed Sean Astin didn't get a nomination

You, DR MS and me - makes three.

der Brucer (maybe we should have a HHW tally of those we wished "had been"s)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2004, 08:09:20 AM »

Thanks for the good wishes, DRs Jennifer and MBarnum, and SWW (after I signed off last night).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2004, 08:12:57 AM »

..there was a huge crowd already lined up to go in there. Once that was straightened out (I told the crowd to scram)

Only in a dream would that work!

der Brucer (noticing HHW Deities have great power even in dreams)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2004, 08:35:14 AM »

Last night (just a few hours ago, actually), I saw "Carmen" at the Seattle Opera.  It was quite good.  I'd never seen it live, only the Julia Migenes/Placido Domingo video and when I was at college, it was the very first stage experience I'd ever had.  A minute or so after the overture started, I realized something.  I whispered to my friend, "I just realized that the orchestra is playing and there is no amplification at all!"  When the singers started singing, it was so wonderful to hear (quite easily) all of their voices with absolutely no microphones anywhere!  I can't remember the last time I heard vocal music (other than Tony Bennett's one song off mic) that wasn't electronically amplified.  It was so refreshing to experience that after so many years the of overamplification that happens here in Olympia...even in smaller theaters.

Now you know what I'm kvetching about all the time!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2004, 08:36:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Music Guy, wherever you are!!![/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2004, 08:38:38 AM »

I, too, haven't seen many of the films, in fact, I think I've seen three, maybe four.  TWO songs from Cold Mountain?  Who knew?

Jay

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2004, 08:43:44 AM »

[Cue loud Wagnerian music.]

Congratulations on your entrance to Valhalla, Dear Reader Panni.

Jay

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2004, 08:56:28 AM »

Without the benefit of screeners, a WGA card, DGA card, SAG card, or even an uncle in the business, the only nominated films I have not yet seen (other than in the documentary, short and foreign film categories, and I even saw some of those) are City of God and Brother Bear.  

With its multiple nominations, I will now definitely try to see City of God before the awards are presented on February 29.  Given Brother Bear's competition, I think I will probably skip it.

Regular denizens of this site know that I am a big proponent of intimate, character-driven cinema, and that I thought The Station Agent, which fits squarely into that category, was one of the lovliest films of 2003.  So I am disappointed to see it was shut out.  I thought Miss Patricia Clarkson and Mr. Peter Dinklage were both quite deserving of nominations, as was the screenplay.  (At least Miss Clarkson was properly recognized for her work in Pieces of April.)

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you, that Monster was overlooked in the makeup category.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 09:38:37 AM by Jay »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2004, 08:57:52 AM »

Fox New's intro to their Oscar Story:

I Wantsss My Oscar!

Their inside story adds irony with this photo/caption:

Gollum and company led the Academy Awards race Tuesday with 11 nominations.

der Brucer

PS This site:Films lets you click on a film and see a synopsis plus a list of all its nominations

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2004, 09:04:49 AM »

[Cue loud Wagnerian music.]

Congratulations on your entrance to Valhalla, Dear Reader Panni.

Shouldn't a Hungarian Goddess be welcomed by Liszt or Bartok?

der Brucer (always setting a stage)

Panni

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2004, 09:05:41 AM »

Thank you for the triumphant welcomes to Goddessville, DRs Jrand53 and Jay!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2004, 09:08:32 AM »

DR Charles Pogue:   I only saw your reply this morning and thanks for your very well-reasoned comments.  However, the situation you describe as the only way you'll do a rewrite is exactly what happened to Mike:  Disney completely trashed the original screenplay (which in fact was not even a finished script but a treatment) and asked Mike to start from scratch.  Disney proposed to the WGA that the original screenwriter (who had no previous credits) get a story credit and that Mike get the screenplay credit, but the arbitration gave sole screenwriting credit to the first guy, even though everyone involved (including the original screenwriter) is on record as stating that not one word of the original treatment made it into Mike's final screenplay.  Evidently this so outraged the producers and Disney that they did a special poster just for Mike with his name as sole screenplay credit.  Unfortunately that does nothing for the residuals aspect.  I just thought it was a very interesting situation (made the front page of the Oregonian here, which is quite unusual, to say the least).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2004, 09:12:54 AM »

The other interesting tidbit about this brouhaha is that the first screenwriter stated in the article that the only reason he insisted on sole screenwriting credit in arbitration is that his agent told him that everything evens out--that he'll get credit when he doesn't deserve it, but that down the road he won't get credit for something he does deserve.  Very strange.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 09:13:50 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2004, 09:16:17 AM »

There's a reason people stay in the Hollywood writing profession....
The answer to all these questions involves an S with a verticle line through it.

I can't speak for my fellow-scribe Pogue (he's quite capable of doing that himself, as we all know) - but I have to respectfully disagree, DR Noel. First of all, most of the screenwriters in this town are living - in a good year - at the poverty level. The lucky few like Pogue and Panni who actually make a decent living at it are the tiny minority. I know I kvetch all the time - as does Pogue - there's a lot to kvetch about. But I love what I do. And I would bet a shiny new quarter that he does, too. I've had bad years, we all have - but I stuck with it. Among other things, I actually think that through my work I can make a small difference in the world. That's enormously gratifying. Now, I'm not saying there aren't people in it strictly for the buck - of course there are. But most of us aren't.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2004, 09:18:10 AM »

The reason the link isn't working is because the entire linguistics site is down.

Hopefully there is a McGill Linguistics version of a Mr. Mark Bakalor working on solving the site problems as I type this. :D

Okay let us know when the site is back up.

I wonder what a Linguistics version of Mark Bakalor would look like :)

Panni

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »

Shouldn't a Hungarian Goddess be welcomed by Liszt or Bartok?

Or Lehar or Kodaly or Ligeti or Rozsa of Dohnany... to name a few. For such a tiny country, we make a lotta music.

Panni

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2004, 09:28:02 AM »

That IS an interesting - and heartbreaking situation, JMK. That's what I meant when I said yesterday that arbitrations can be arbitrary.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2004, 09:39:32 AM »

Emily's school survey is back online:

I'm in the middle of doing it. I'm finding it's a lot easier if I cover the answers and say what I think before seeing the choices.

All you have to do is remember the following things:

1) Under the heading "NAME" do NOT put YOUR name.  Instead put MINE (so that the prof knows which students completed the task of finding the required number of questionees).  In case any of you don't know my full name is EMILY KULIN.  

2) Try to remember instances of what you say in a certain situation and not just think of what you think sounds most familiar (because we hear others who might not share our "quirky" speech habits more than we do ourselves)

3) Please Private Message me if you fill out the form so that I know how many have been completed

http://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/linguistics/faculty/boberg/

(All you have to do is click on the above link and then that for "Vocabulary Survey" on the left hand side of the page)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 10:53:11 AM by Jennifer »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2004, 09:58:31 AM »

For such a tiny country, we make a lotta music.

With and without Sour Cream :D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2004, 10:02:51 AM »

After being snubbed at the GGs, I was afraid 21 GRAMS would get overlooked by Oscar, but Naomi Watts managed to secure a nomination. Looks like THE STATION AGENT got the snub instead.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2004, 10:02:55 AM »

Wow i loved that survey! Maybe later we can discuss some of our answers. I'll bet everyone here uses different terms.

I am so happy I decided to cover the multiple choice answers before looking at the responses. Because it's much harder when you see the choices. Because it's true, you hear so many other people use the words, yet it's not the words you would use yourself.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2004, 10:08:18 AM »

More insight from the GGs:

Nicole a Fashion No-No at Golden Globes
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

(extracted from FOX)

1. HAIR COLOR. So much for being the world's most famous redhead. Kidman's apparently got a major love affair going on with her colorist -- who's turning a head-turning star into just another washed-out blonde.

2. HAIRSTYLE. She was trying for a '30s feel, but the wispy curly-whirlies turned her 'do into a don't.

3. HEADBAND. Yes, it was real gold. And yes, it was by the haute jeweler Boucheron. But there's a reason even Hillary Clinton was smart enough to give up on headbands altogether.

4. NETTING. Instead of looking sexy, the see-through V-neck looked like scraps from Tonya Harding's ice-skating costumes.

5. SIDE CLEAVAGE. That's something a woman always has to watch for - and Nicole's far too classy to spill out of the sides of her dress.

6. SHOES. Her bronze-colored peep-toe pumps were much too heavy for such a light dress - nor did the color match the frock's metallic discs. Paging Manolo.

7. PURSE. It was too boxy for the dress. She should have chosen a smaller, unstructured bag -- even feathered, perhaps.

8. MAKEUP. Her eyes were underdone, her lips too dark and her cheeks were to white. Pale girls need to overcompensate with the blush brush, not hold back.

9. COLOR SCHEME. The pale netting, the washed-out gold sequins and that straw-colored hair made it impossible to figure out where the dress ended and she began. Kidman always looks better in strong colors, like deep blue and yellow-green, which bring out her eyes.

der Brucer (above photo-essay posted for DR jd's delight)

Please Note:

Victoria Secret models are more tastleful than GG stars

Ben

« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2004, 10:19:23 AM »

I've tried repeatedly to get to the site but I can't seem to get there. This link below is incomplete. As you can see, only part of it is blue and the truncation causes an error. I was able to get to the McGill site and into the Linguistics section but when I click on Boberg's name I get an error that I'm not authorized to view this page. Any suggestions?

www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/li...faculty/boberg/

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2004, 10:23:05 AM »

Where in tarnation IS MusicGuy anyway?

Haven't seen the grams picture, but I think Naomi was given the nod to make up for last year when she should have WON for Mulhullond Drive.

steveg

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2004, 10:25:24 AM »

Bruce:
What happed to the unseemly trivia contest.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2004, 10:26:05 AM »

Wow i loved that survey! Maybe later we can discuss some of our answers. I'll bet everyone here uses different terms.

Yes, and some of us have used different terms during different times of our lives. I was raised in a very blue collar Philadelphia neighborhood (heavily influenced by Pennsylvania Dutch) - then I married a girl who had the Stars and Bars posted on her dorm wall, and whose Father was a proud FFV (First Families of Virginia) - needless to say, our vernacular was not the same.

How many people do you know who "root through a dresser drawer" looking for a sock mate?

And age adds another factor; when I was young folks had "ice boxes" - you know, wooden cabinets, lined with sheet metal, into which the ice man placed the large block of ice he had tonged from his horse-drawn wagon.

And washers had wringers; and you used clothes-props to hold up the line.

We also had ash-men who came once a week to collect the coal ashes your poor Dad hauled up from the cellar (not basement).

And cream was something you got off of the top of a milk bottle.

And oleo-margarine was sold in large beige blocks with a yellow collared dot that you pressed to release a dye that you mixed with the goop to make it look like butter.

And ration points were red and blue tokens.

der Brucer (who still remembers the thrill of putting on clean Jockey shorts  fresh off the line in January - boy, did that put my kickers in a twist - and, yes, I did wear knickers to school - every damn day!)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2004, 10:36:54 AM »

Welcome, Dear Panni,
 To Heaven (or Mt. Olympus)!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
MUSIC GUY!!!
**If any of our Haines / Kimlets have not had the pleasure of hearing Lyn play the organ you really should make a point to find one of his CDs.  He is terrific.  (Watching him play his organ is apparently reserved for Kerry)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 11:02:03 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2004, 10:43:14 AM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell, I forgot the winners of the trivia contest.  Coming within minutes.  Stay tuned.

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2004, 10:48:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up