Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THREEPENNY NOTES  (Read 72163 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE THREEPENNY NOTES
« Reply #420 on: January 31, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »

Patterns in the mud:

Interesting art photo.....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #421 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:01 PM »

Best Wishes, TCB, for an end to your suffering.

And here's hoping we won't have to rename you Sir Lanced-a-lot!

(double-entendres accepted!)

;D

And serious get-well-soon wishes from me, as well.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #422 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to DR MICHAEL SHAYNE!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #423 on: January 31, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »

CONGRATS to new auntie, DR TPUNK!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #424 on: January 31, 2008, 10:37:45 PM »

Time to buy THE WAR

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #425 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:00 PM »

I'm thinking about going back to Nate 'n Al for an early dinner tomorrow, because I've heard very good comments about their pastrami sandwiches and I don't think Matzoh Brei is a fair test of a deli.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »

I'm am REALLY tired - getting up so early coupled with redoing a bunch of pages and then doing new pages and also dealing with a few other things has me yawning mightily.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from seeing A Chorus Line... Again!

Just like Sunday in the Park with George, no matter how many times I see it, the message of it still gets to me.  Even when the mirrors get stuck half-way in their turn during the final "Montage" sequence - like they did tonight.  I kept wondering if Cassie was going to sing, "All I ever needed was the Music, and the Black Flat..." :-\ ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #428 on: January 31, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »

I'm thinking about going back to Nate 'n Al for an early dinner tomorrow, because I've heard very good comments about their pastrami sandwiches and I don't think Matzoh Brei is a fair test of a deli.

Utimate deli test is a Reuben sandwich! (Pastrami is a close second)

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #429 on: January 31, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »

My friend, Larry, (not DR elmore) joined me tonight - they were giving out comps tonight (papering), and since Larry had never seen the stage version of A Chorus Line - he had, of course, seen the movie - I invited him to tag along with me.  It got to him too.

After the show, we walked up to Columbus Circle to have drinks and dessert at Landmarc.  We split the dessert sampler - all six of their house desserts for $16!  -They're small portions, really they are.  The tiramisu and crème brulée tasted a little off, like they had been in the fridge next to something with lots of garlic in it.  -But once you got past the top layer, it was OK, better.  The lemon tart was a lemon tart.  The éclair probably would have been better a few hours earlier when the pâte choux was fresher and "dryer", but we could tell it had been filled with the chocolate pastry cream right before being served.  The chocolate mousse was good, but the star of the tray was the blueberry cobbler, which was served warm.

Of course, our favorite "dessert" was the cotton candy.  Tonight's flavor: Blue Raspberry. :)

And the Tawny Port worked well with it too.   ;)

And the waiter comped the additional serving of cotton candy that Larry wanted for the subway ride home.  Needles to say, Larry left a nice tip for the waiter.  But I think he was going to leave a nice gratuity anyway, even before we found out the extra cotton candy was comped.    ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

You know what they say about DR Singdaw?
Tequila makes his clothes fall off.

Or a hearty Barbera d'Asti.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:27 PM »

Time to buy THE WAR

der Brucer

It seems like Border's offers that 40%-off coupon almost monthly now.  If not twice or thrice.

I still remember two years ago when that discount was offered the first time.  And since I was working down in DC at the time, and there were five Border's location within an eight mile radius, well...  Boy, did I take advantage of that!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #432 on: January 31, 2008, 11:14:40 PM »

Utimate deli test is a Reuben sandwich! (Pastrami is a close second)

der Brucer

I used to test out delis based on their Reubens, but I found that there were too many "official" versions of it.  Some places make it with a dab of tomato paste... Some with no sauerkraut... Some grill the meat before putting it on the bread... Others grill the whole shebang until the cheese melts... Russian dressing, sometimes yes, sometime no...  -I like all variations.

In any case, Pastrami has become my test - at least with delis that cure their own meats or have it made especially for them.  The Hungarian Pastrami at Artie's is pretty darn good.  But Katz's still has my Number One vote.  -And I have yet to make it down to the new 2nd Avenue Deli - which is now on 3rd Avenue - to see how much of the deli transferred over.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #433 on: January 31, 2008, 11:16:05 PM »

...  Boy, did I take advantage of that!

One can never be too rich, or too thin, or have too mnay DVD box sets.

der Brucer

Or have too much chocolate!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #434 on: January 31, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »

ND is about to enter the primary/Caucus uproar. ND has their caucus for the Dems and REps on Tuesday.  Oddly I have only seen ads for Obama and McClain. None for HIlary. I did see a Ron Paul one today.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #435 on: January 31, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »

McClain scares the daylights out of me

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #436 on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »

What DVDs do you have for sale, Jose?

Well, since you asked...

"Friends" - Complete Series (opened, but not viewed)
"M*A*S*H" - Complete Series (opened, but not viewed)
"Arrested Development" - Complete Series (still in shrinkwrap)
"Queer As Folk" - Seasons One and Two (still in shrinkwrap)
"Lord of the Rings" Trilogy Boxed Set - Widescreen, the theatrical release versions not the director's cuts (still in shrinkwrap)
Two Disney Tins - "The Mickey Mouse Club" and "Mickey Mouse in Black & White - Vol. 2" (both are still sealed)

See what happens when you have so many Border's locations near you, and a couple of copies of those 40%-off coupons?

...And I'm still looking at few other box sets, and wondering if I really will get to watching them sometime in the future.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2008, 11:30:24 PM »

Oh...

The train ride uptown from Columbus Circle was crazy.  Well, at least "packed".  I know the 1 trains had electrical problems earlier in the evening, so maybe that's what caused the crush of people.  And, yes, I was crushed as soon as people were getting on at 66th Street.

And then when the train stopped at 137th Street - one stop away from my stop - I realized they were announcing that the train would by bypassing 145th Street - a.k.a. my stop.  So I got off the train, and started walking home...  It actually wasn't as cold as it was earlier in the evening, and the wind had died down too, and, well....  Blogfodder.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:30:55 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

There are no Borders stores in ND

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »

One can never be too rich, or too thin, or have too many DVD box sets.

der Brucer

Or have too much chocolate!

You got that right!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #440 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:26 PM »

EVen more odd, ND is a republican state and I have seen more Barack Obama ads in the last week than Ihave seen ads for either Republican. MN also has theirs coming up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #441 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:32 PM »

Notes are written and will be posted in two count them two minutes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »

Gratuitous Post # 442!

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up