Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED  (Read 34337 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »

I cannot remember the name of the restaurant, but it was located in San Francisco in the 1980s.  It had a piano bar on one side, a restaurant in the middle, and a Mexican restaurant on the other side, all bearing the same name.  During the property "appreciation" of the mid-1980s, the landlord hiked the rent so high, both restaurants closed, but the bar remained open.  The restaurants sat empty for more than a decade!

That bitterness out of the way, let me say that the meal was preceded by the largest, most wonderful Margarita I've had the pleasure of consuming!

My meal began with a very nice house green salad with a dressing unique to the chef.  It was very tasty.

The meal was a Tournedos of beef that was about 2 inches thick and cooked to medium rare perfection.  It was placed upon a piece of toast and was topped with a goose liver paté.

It was absolutely the most wonderful thing I'd ever tasted in my life.

I've had wonderful foods all my life, but this "meal" was most memorable and the earliest I can remember being so.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 08:07:44 AM »

[size=8]PAGE 3[/size]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »

I've gotta be told!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 08:11:54 AM »

Congratulations to JRand on 15 tons of posts!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:40 AM »

Yes, DR scrapclaw, blame the Margarita!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »

There is also the ubiquitous "alright" in place of "all right."

"Alright" ain't "right"!

Neither is "alot" for "a lot."

These used to drive me completely crazy when I was teaching. It seemed to be a very hard habit for the students to break no matter how many times I pointed out the errors.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »

Blame it on the Margarita...

Is that a song?   :)

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2008, 08:16:47 AM »

I've gotta be told!

Yes, you do need so much correction!     8)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »

Affect vs. effect
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2008, 08:17:55 AM »

DR Matt H, you were in one of my dreams last night! I can't remember well any of them last night but there were quite a few because I slept so poorly.

If I was in one, you HAD to have slept poorly. Around these parts, it's called a nightmare!

;)

JMK

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 08:18:02 AM »

Stream of consciousness department:

At one of Betsy's radio stations, there was an AP pronunciation guide.  One column had the word, and the column to the right had the pronunciation.  My favorite entry went like this:

twin                                twin

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »

Wow!  I didn't notice until DR RLP pointed it out...

CONGRATULATIONS[/size][/color] to DR JRand57 on his posting milestone!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »

Do you like piña coladas?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »

I didn't hear the UPS truck drive up this morning, so I guess I'm set with my review copies for the next week or so. (Thankfully. That YOUNG INDY JONES set is *10* discs.)

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2008, 08:20:43 AM »

Well, I'm going to head downstairs now to check the mail and then start on lunch preparation.

WBBL.

JMK

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2008, 08:20:47 AM »

I didn't hear the UPS truck drive up this morning, so I guess I'm set with my review copies for the next week or so. (Thankfully. That YOUNG INDY JONES set is *10* discs.)

That's kidstuff--I'm working through 17 discs of BBC documentaries.  17, as in 7 more than 10.   ;D

FJL

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »

I remember The Powers of Matthew Starr in part because of one of the talk shows (was it Letterman?) talking about the gimmick of the show and showing a still from it and saying it's  a new show with an intriguing premise..."it's about the handsomest guy in the world." (that is, the show's star Peter Barton)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2008, 08:23:49 AM »

I was very tired last e'en and did not watch any of "my" regular shows, committing them to the DVR cache instead.  I was in bed by 9:30 p.m.

That said, I did, earlier in the evening, watch things already on the DVR cache, including Sunday night's "Desperate Housewives" and "Eli Stone."

"Desperate Housewives/Eli Stone" SPOILAGE

"Desperate Housewives" has never lived up to its wicked promise of sheer bitchery among its stars, but it has been entertaining nevertheless, and I welcomed this new episode very much.  I wish I had a feeling that Nathan Fillion was going to be used more often, but I fear that isn't going to be the case.  We don't even see Andrew any more, but that might be because Bree and family are still living with Susan.  I very much enjoyed Lynette's desire to find "meaning" by going with Lynette to her church, and the ensuing fun of Lynette's unorthodox approach to the pastor's sermon.  I don't want to see Lynette become a sudden "convert" and holy roller, but you just never know any more.

"Eli Stone" is one of those shows that always takes me by surprise.  I say this because I'm never quite sure I want to watch it, but every time I do I find myself totally immersed in whatever is going on and find myself thoroughly enjoying it.  I feel that way about "Grey's Anatomy", too.  I never "want" to watch it, but I always enjoy it when I do.

Sunday's episode had me feeling a bit sad for Eli because no matter how many times anyone "predicts" earthquakes in San Francisco, the fact is that "yes", there will be one some day, but "no", they cannot be predicted and it's impossible for any government entity (city, county, state, federal) to react upon a "prediction."   In today's news, I learned that a group of scientists have predicted that California will have a major earthquake in the next 30 years.  Well...DUH!  

I very much loved it that the head of the law firm revealed his admiration for Stone in the board meeting and told each of the partners why they, too, should embrace him and his causes.  Katy Sagal's total bitch of a character is a wondrous thing to behold!  I found the show quite emotionally involving this week because of the realistic reactions of various people to Eli's "living will" preparations and that incredible finale where the fiction of story telling took me out of reality.  It's nice to see writers take a leap beyond reality, and it was spot-on, IMO.

End SPOILAGE

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:32:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »

Why look, it's DR JoseSPiano's close and personal friend! :D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:25:08 AM by singdaw »

FJL

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »

Did we forget Marla Schaffel and Mary Stout (both of Broadway's JANE EYRE) yesterday?  I was so busy taxing that I meant to put those two names up but couldn't find a place where someone else had put an intervening entry.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:38 AM »

I remember The Powers of Matthew Starr in part because of one of the talk shows (was it Letterman?) talking about the gimmick of the show and showing a still from it and saying it's  a new show with an intriguing premise..."it's about the handsomest guy in the world." (that is, the show's star Peter Barton)

Do you recall that Barton had a serious accident during the shooting of this series?  I think it was either during the first season or just before the season started.  He reportedly suffered burns over much of his upper body.  Matthew Star, the character, was always seen in longsleeved shirts, even when co-performers wore short sleeves or tank tops.

JMK

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:50 AM »

Why look, it's DR JoseSPiano's close and personal friend! :D

Watching Jose running toward the men's room with that Larry Craig gleam in his eye.    :o ;D

singdaw

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »

Did we forget Marla Schaffel and Mary Stout (both of Broadway's JANE EYRE) yesterday?

I think we did, DR FJL.   And those are good ones!

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »

I love Desperate Housewives more for those little, subtle character moments - a glance, a look, a line - that make me laugh out loud, more than for the big "set pieces".

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2008, 08:33:28 AM »

Watching Jose running toward the men's room with that Larry Craig gleam in his eye.    :o ;D

Ouch.  Not something I think our DR Jose would contemplate, actually.

JMK

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »

Ouch.  Not something I think our DR Jose would contemplate, actually.

Just another pathetic attempt at humor.  Should I have said "running toward the Reservoir"?  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »

At the risk of increasing his grumpiness, I'm wondering aloud (in print) if DR Elmore3003 has ever explored the benefits of a chiropractor or acupuncture for those pesky back ailments.

(Ducking for cover, just in case)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »

Just another pathetic attempt at humor.  Should I have said "running toward the Reservoir"?  :)

How about, "Inviting Mario on a run to the Reservoir"?  I think our Jose would be quite direct in his intentions.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~'Ease His Pain' VIBES for Elmo!~~~~[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »

Yes, by Edie Gourmet!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up