Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS  (Read 22658 times)

Tomovoz

Re:IN SEARCH OF NUTMEATS
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2004, 06:51:47 PM »

BTW Jane - we have house and animal sitters when we go away. We will be going to France for five weeks later in the year. We believe the dogs are happier in their own environment and we have good friends and relatives who will share the enjoyable tasks of feeding birds and  caring for Fosca and Magnus.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2004, 07:06:06 PM »

"I left my harp in Sam Clam's disco."

I've heard, "I left my harp in Sam Frank's Disco."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ladodgerjon

• Unseemly Lunch Date
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2004, 07:08:41 PM »

Bruce accused me of not posting...

and he's right!

By request, here's a photo of the 'lil guy... who now is two months old, weighs 12 pounds (he was 9 lbs at birth), and has grown 2 1/2 inches (he's now 23 1/2").

Hope everyone is well,

--Jon

Kerry

« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2004, 07:09:18 PM »

JOSE:

The same thing happened to me last week with my VCR.  Alll I got was a blue tape.  Turned out all it needed was cleaning.  So I used one of those head cleaning tapes and all is well.  You might try that.

MICHAEL:  I smoked a pack and a half for 18 years-- since I was 16.  I decided enough was enough and quit while Lyn was In Australia (just in case i didn't succeed).   Funny thing is he quit five years before me.  I quit on August 19th. he quit on August 20th -- just 5 years apart.  We did NOT plan it that way.  It was tough.  So tough in fact that the thought of quitting again keeps me from ever having a cigarette!

CHARLES:
 We loved MY WORD and MY MUSIC and miss it terribly. It used to make Sunday mornings so nice.   I may still have one or two on cassette someplace.

JOSE, JANE:  How do you get off the sugar?   I can't get enough of it (usually in the form of chocolate).  If I can do that, the rest will fall into place.
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2004, 07:19:47 PM »

-- I don't know how to listen to radio programs on my computer. Never tried, maybe I can't.

Oh, Panni, you simply must learn how to listen to the radio show on this here site.  You just never know who will turn up on Donald's fine program.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2004, 07:41:55 PM »

Evenin', all.  I just got back from seeing Sharon McNight (no K) doing her Sophie Tucker thing.  She had a bit of a cold, but it didn't interfere with her belting, no sirree.  No mikes in that theatre.

The show is very much like the CD with more patter, minus "Myron" ("you're not desirin'"), and with a more traditional and torchy "The Man I Love" than the honky-tonk version on the CD (terrific, btb [by the bye in Internet Lingo]).

Silly me.  I brought her a dozen roses but couldn't get her attention during the curtain calls, even with audience members shouting encouragement.  So I went backstage for a few minutes--I should add that I am usually not a stage-door Johnny, but Sharon cut a demo for my collaborator and me last year, and I wanted to meet and thank her.

A very quick conversation, as she had a second show to do at ten.  Told her that her "Jeepers Creepers" really nailed it.  Told her that BK was a friend of mine, to which she replied, "Well, you can't help that."  

I think I was the only one in the audience under sixty (and just under at that).  I know from this site that there are scads of young people who know music that was written more than two years ago, but I guess they don't live on Long Island.

Oh, and btb, Dear Reader WEL:  You get marks off for misspelling Sharon McNight (no K)'s name twice in the same post.  Actually, it was misspelled on the tickets.  
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William E. Lurie

« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2004, 07:45:31 PM »

WFO - When I post from work I don't have my books and CDs to check spelling and I don't have the time to go back and check for it on prior posts.

Since everyone is posting about SITPWG, is there anyone besides me who loves Act I and doesn't care for Act II?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »

....the hosts never really understood that liver is meat.
Hey, some people have trouble understanding that liver is food!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2004, 07:59:31 PM »

WEL:  I was just ;Ding.  hhw is the one course you will take where spelling doesn't count.

td:  Vibes and prayers.  If you want to hear stories about Home Health Aides, we had one for Joe (actually many over the course of ten years) and he finally decided he'd rather not spend the money.

MBarnum:  More pictures, please.  Anytime.  And I can give you the same advice as Mark Twain did about giving up smoking.  Two karma points for the first one who quotes it.  Oh, we don't do that anymore.  Never mind.  Oh, a Gilda Radner reference.
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2004, 07:59:44 PM »

OMG- what kind of people have to ask if chicken is a vegetarian dish?? :)

Jennifer

« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2004, 08:03:03 PM »

GREAT baby pic!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2004, 08:13:37 PM »

At Intermission at Sunday in the Park With George (many a preposition in this sentence so far), I, too, found the show a little cold.  It seemed to me that the subplots - those people on the island - were a bit lifeless.  Act Two put everything together for me.  We (the audience) looked back on the Act One goings-on and suddenly everything had an emotional resonance.  I think the line "Mama is everywhere; he must have loved her so much" set it off for me.

The worst musical I ever saw on Broadway starred the aforementioned Sharon McNight and left me with no desire to ever learn to spell her name or see her again.

But raunchy songs are fine with me (not Raunchy from 110 in the Shade, but others).  I've been looking for a copy of Making Love Alone for years.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2004, 08:19:48 PM »

Re SITPWG, it has always been part of my life with der Brucer.  We listened to the score together shortly after we met.  We've been to Chicago and stood together in front of the original painting.  (Did you know there's a butterfly?  It can't be seen in any of the reproductions, it's too small.  I'm in love with that butterfly!)  And we've seen it on stage, at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera, with Pamela Myers as Dot.  At first I didn't know if she could pull off the role, her own personality being so quirky, but she was great.

Does it work on video?  Not really.  There's something about the three-dimensionality of a stage production that proves to be a major part of the show.  It is about a painting, but a painting that takes life and communicates about life by reinterpreting it as a two-dimensional image.  (And then, in Act Two, takes that two-dimensional image and resuscitates it into the three dimensions.)  Also, a television screen cannot give any appreciation of the size of the work, the height and width.  No, it doesn't work on video.

It does work amazingly well on audio, and better on CD than it did on its original vinyl release, mainly because the CD restores the continuity of the musical bridge between "We Do Not Belong Together" and "Beautiful."  (Due to length, the vinyl recording had to cut at this point for the switch between recorded sides.)  Much of this is because Thomas Z. Shepard didn't try to copy what had been done on stage, but re-imagined the work as something to be heard.  He and Sondheim re-worked some of the music, even going so far as to change some of the order of musical segments.  As such, it is to my ear a near-perfect aural experience, not a souvenir from some long-closed show.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2004, 08:24:09 PM »

Since everyone is posting about SITPWG, is there anyone besides me who loves Act I and doesn't care for Act II?

Yes... my mother.  I, too, prefer Act I, but definitely enjoy Act II more than my mom does.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2004, 08:27:51 PM »

Oh, and WEL, to be more positive about your post, I'm sitting here having a Sharon McNight marathon.  Just listening to "In the Meantime", and there are so many aspects of her voice and phrasing that she doesn't get to use in her (very accurate, from what I remember of seeing her on "The Ed Sullivan Show") portrayal of Sophie Tucker.

There's more of a range of styles.  Curiously, she does the honky-tonk "The Man I Love" on this album too, but not exactly in the Sophie voice.

Perhaps they replaced it in the show with the torchy version, because almost the entire evening is up-tempo songs (hey, that was Sophie), and it needs some breaks.
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2004, 08:33:29 PM »

DR MBarnum:  Vibes for your trying to quit smoking.  Der Brucer and I have both been there.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

The first time we tried to quit smoking, we were both doing fairly well.  Unfortunately, der B tried to help another couple with their taxes, and they both insisted on lighting up in front of us.  The next thing we knew, der B was lighting up out of habit.  And I lit up out of spite.  Wrong move.

A few years later, I tried quitting on my own, and somehow made it!  I was a real bitch to live with for a few weeks, but der Brucer survived, as did my coworkers.  And I felt a lot better for it.  I also gained weight...about fifty pounds during that first year after my last puff!  As it turned out, part of that was genetic, as my father had quit smoking at about the same age, and had also been a bean-pole up until that time.  But it was a major adjustment, to go from 145 pounds up to nearly 200 in that short a time!

It took a visit to the hospital for der Brucer to quit, a nasty case of viral pneumonia being the trigger.  But he's managed to stay off the sticks, too, and is glad for it.  Not doing other people's taxes has paid off, as well.

Now, we've got to find some way of getting his son-in-law to quit!  But that won't be easy, because he's a Maryland redneck, and some things are a matter of pride, I guess.   :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2004, 09:00:23 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Noel - Are you still looking for a copy of "Making Love Alone"?  If so, message me. ;)

DR MBarnum - Thanks for the additional pics.  What great fun and joy and admiration there is in your face with those fine ladies.

Dear DRs - Thanks for all the words of support and understanding regarding my diet.  I know I'll be back on the wagon again soon... and sooner rather than later.

DR Panni - Love your stories!  I've actually wondered if Filipinos can be vegetarian.  There is hardly anything in the typical Filipino diet - at least the one I was raised on - that could be considered vegetarian.  Some dishes could be modified, but pork - well, the pig, the whole pig, and nothing but the pig - is a major food group in the Philippines.  Well, I guess a Filipino could go vegetarian, but it would be a very bland diet - I'm guessin'.

Well... Steve and I went to see the aftormentioned The Last Session tonight.  Some good performances, some good voices... and then there was the one... I actually didn't squirm as much as I thought I would, but it did take me a while to get comfortable sitting in the theatre.  Well, it took me a while to get used to listening to something that I knew in advance would not be the most pleasant voice around.  But... I eventually relaxed and let the show happen.  -And I only heard two or three spots in my piano tracks that I laid down that I would like to correct. ;)  But we had a good time, and there were some people in the audience I hadn't seen in a while.  Lots of catching up during intermission and after the show.

Oh, and we had some very good baby back ribs for dinner before the show - with some cole slaw and cheddar-jalapeno cornbread!

DR Danise - I look forward to you strutting your svelte-self before me one day!

DR ladodgerjon - I can just sense the "Proud Papa" vibes coming from your eyes!
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2004, 09:09:51 PM »

Noel:  Please don't blame Sharon for Starmites.  I myself did not have the misfortune of seeing the show, which has become somewhat legendary in the Moose Murders vein.  I did, however, see Sharon do her number on the Tony Awards show, and it was obvious to me that this woman was quite superior to the material.  

As for Sunday in the Park with George, the people I saw it with didn't get it.  "So it's about this artist and he has to choose between his art and this girl."  For me there are so many other aspects to it than this TV-Guide plot summary.  Like the pairing of songs in the first and second acts.  Like what it says about art in the nineteenth vis-à-vis the twentieth century.  (She's a railroad train!)

Maybe I'm so moved by SitPwG for the same reason that I get goose pimples from "Someone in a Tree", and it's the same reason many people "don't like Sondheim".  "Cold, intellectual, distant"  Well, that is also what SitPwG is about isn't it?  About the passion (oh, a Stephen Sondheim reference) in the obsession with one's work--not just painting, but brokering stocks, building motorcycles, whatever--and how others interpret that as lack of feeling.

But, to get back to my point, whatever it was:  It's the intellectual dialogue in "Someone in a Tree", the zen imagery, that leads to the big emotional payoff in the word History.  Ah, a Jessica Fletcher moment!

The same with Sunday in the Park.  You see George as totally distant, distracted, unfeeling perhaps in Act I right up until "Sunday", one of the most emotional moments I've had in the theatre.  You're so swept up in the realization of his vision (in the music, mind you), that you forgive him.

The second act begins again with a lot of intellectualizing.  Though this George wears his anguish on his sleeve, you don't really like him all that much more than the other one until he gets to Grande Jatte, and then, with one tree (with on one in it) and "Lesson Number 5" we are led to the glory of "Move On".  Again, the emotional payoff had its foundation laid by the more brainy stuff before.  Not every musical needs to deliver a big payoff with every number, punch-punch-punch.

God I love the Modify feature on this board!  Saves a lot of embarrassment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 09:18:49 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2004, 09:16:21 PM »

"And now for something totally different..." he intoned in his best Monty Python reference voice.

It seems there is a group called the Michagan Lawsuit Abuse Watch, which works to raise public awareness of how the explosion in litigation is harming the country.  "It used to be that if someone spilled coffee in their laps, they simply called themselves clumsy.  Today, too many people are calling themselves an attorney," sais their president, Robert B. Dorigo Jones.

To this end, they hold an annual Wacky Warning Label Contest.  This year, the top prize winner was to be found on a bottle of drain cleaner, and read: "If you do not understand, or cannot read, all directions, cautions and warnings, do not use this product."

Other winners this year included a 5-inch fishing lure with three steel hooks that had a label that read "Harmful if swallowed," and a label on a 12-inch high compact disc storage rack that read "Do not use as a ladder."

Last year's winner was found on a massage chair, and read "Do not use massage chair without clothing...and never force any body part into the backrest area while the rollers are moving."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 09:16:59 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2004, 09:20:11 PM »

...Again, the emotional payoff had its foundation laid by the more brainy stuff before.  Not every musical needs to deliver a big payoff with every number, punch-punch-punch...
Which may be why a collaboration between Stephen Sondheim and Tom Stoppard would be too much of a good thing!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2004, 09:22:23 PM »

Woody, Woody, Woody!

The massage-chair label killed me!  It's still hard to type, because I'm shaking with laughter.
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2004, 09:28:09 PM »

Elsewhere, again, this time in Ohio (not intended as a Comden and Green reference):

It seems that three livestock exhibitors at last year's Ohio State Fair have been disqualified for supposedly fitting their Holsteins with hairpieces.

Yes, Holsteins.  As in cows.

According to State Fair inspectors, it was discovered as the cows were leaving the show ring that the trio had either glued or painted hair from another part of the animal (or from another animal) to create the appearance of straighter backs on the cows, thus improving their appearance and increasing their chances of winning in the show ring.

(Hoping this helps DR Emily keep her own hair problems in perspective.   :-\)

Jed

« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2004, 10:18:38 PM »

Are you sure it's laughter that has you shaking, WFO, or have you been sticking body parts in the massage chair again? :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Laura II

« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2004, 10:20:04 PM »

What cute pictures, ladodgerjon and MBarnum! I think I'll add one of me and my friends just because I can. This is one of my favorite pictures. It was taken a few days after my 17th birthday. My friends and I went out to dinner.

From left to right: Laura, me, Sarah S, Tiff

« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 10:21:35 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2004, 11:25:40 PM »

Cute pix one and all.  Back from the play and a spot of dinner.  Tomorrow morning DSL - at least we hope so.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2004, 11:29:44 PM »

But raunchy songs are fine with me (not Raunchy from 110 in the Shade, but others).  I've been looking for a copy of Making Love Alone for years.

Do you mean a recording or sheet music?  If you mean recording, did you know that Bernadette Peters recorded it on her "Sondheim, Etc." CD when it was first released, but the song is no longer on the CD?  Does anyone know why it was removed from the recording?

DR Noel - Are you still looking for a copy of "Making Love Alone"?  If so, message me. ;)

Um...Jose, if you mean sheet music, could I possible "message" you, too? :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 11:30:23 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2004, 11:35:22 PM »

Funny posts, great baby picture, (and adult pictures). Now off to bed so I can write write write bright and early. 'Night, all.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up