Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 23589 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2004, 07:44:57 AM »

...GIRLS IN PRISON ...REFORM SCHOOL GIRL ... SORORITY GIRL ...DIARY OF A HIGH SCHOOL BRIDE ... THE GIRL IN LOVERS LANE...

And just what do you dream about?

der always-curious Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2004, 07:47:05 AM »

One would have thought that movies made in the 30s and 40s during the code period would all be rated G but it's interesting to see on Turner Classic when they post the rating that many of those older films have a PG rating. Funny how things go.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 07:47:44 AM by Ben »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2004, 07:52:08 AM »

Good morning. Have to hurry because I still need to take a walk, then have a dental appointment (just a check-up, cleaning - nothing horrible - I hope). It's a new dentist for me, so I need to check her out, make sure she's the one I want. So it's a check-up for her, too.

Directions; I have a pretty good sense of direction. Once I've been somewhere I can easily find it again. And if I'm given clear directions the first time, no problem. And like FS Pogue, I can find my way around a new city pretty quickly (except LA - and LA isn't a city - it's many small cities).
My big problem is that I have terrible night vision. So if I have to drive somewhere I've never been before after dark, it's pretty difficult for me. Even coming back is difficult. I've had hairy adventures wandering around in the car at night not knowing where the hell I was.
And yes, WFO, when I lived in Boulder (near Denver) the mountains always loomed to the west, so it was almost impossible to get lost, day or night.
I find that having moved back to LA after being away so long, there are certain places that have stuck in my head in the wrong location. Like Santa Monica! I was convinced until yesterday that it was totally in the opposite direction from where it actually is. Don't ask me why.

Okay, off for a walk, then dentist.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 07:53:43 AM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2004, 07:53:11 AM »

Ben - I think the ratings on television are not the same as the MPAA ratings.  To my knowledge, the only pre-MPAA movies with official ratings are ones that were either re-released or whose producers specifically requested a rating.  I think the Turner ratings fall more into the age groups who would be interested in the film... which might not be a bad idea for the MPAA to try.  (I may be wrong or partially wrong on this, but it seems to me this is what I had heard)
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2004, 07:54:18 AM »

Oh - lovely photos, DerBrucer.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2004, 08:02:03 AM »

I think Canada geese are among God's most beautiful creations. We have a few flocks that come to escape the winter weather.

Here is one of my favorite pictures.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2004, 08:06:34 AM »

Great picture DRLaura. It looks like it's talking to you!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2004, 08:10:11 AM »

Mapquest is unintentionally (one hopes) funny from time to time--case in point:  I once on a lark (not an easy task) entered an address just up the street from my house.  It would take me maybe 5 minutes to drive there.  Mapquest instead had me go about 7 miles out of my way on roundabout side streets.

We also used Mapquest to find a friend's home in Seattle a couple of years ago.  Mapquest had us crossing 4 lane highways, etc. over and over.  Once we got there, we discovered we could have just stayed on one of the 4 lane highways and taken one turn to get to the house.

I have a fairly unerring sense of direction.  Our new(er) car has a GPS system, and I discovered the other day when taking my younger son to a playdate that the GPS system was thrown off when in the proximity of the large radio towers that adorn Portland's west hills.  For some reason the GPS starting showing the exact opposite of the direction we were travelling.  It was most disconcerting.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2004, 08:13:46 AM »

The summer I spent in Europe in 1988 included a month in London in the area around Hyde Park and Paddington Station. After dinner we would often go into Hyde Park and feed the ducks, the squirrels and the geese. What fun!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2004, 08:23:01 AM »

I'm afraid I'm the only person I know who does this sort of thing:  When I'm given directions to a place for a specific event/date/time, I do a test run on getting there.  If the directions are in any way misleading or confusing, I get a clarification and try again.  If I find a place in spite of confusing directions, I notify the person who gave me the directions about the critical "missing" or "confusing" information so he/she can let others know.

In my experience, it is much more common for folks to forget about a traffic light, a second or third cross street, or a choice of "bear left or bear right."  That's why I do a trial run.  It serves me well.

"American Idol" -- football guy was surely one of the two best singers last night.  It wasn't even close, IMO.  Hawaii girl was awful -- weak, timid, off-pitch.  That said, it should also be said that NONE of them deserved to move on to the next round. I think the judges remember something special about Hawaii girl's first audition and were encouraging her to return to that style.  But based on last night's performance, she ought to do it in a different venue.

And is anyone else "over" Ryan Seacrest?  I think his 15 minutes should have been up when he hosted "American Idol Juniors" last summer.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 10:06:35 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2004, 08:25:40 AM »

"And is anyone else "over" Ryan Seacrest?  I think his 15 minutes should have been up when he hosted "American Idol Juniors" last summer.

I don't know if it's simply due to his overexposure, but I have just begun noticing that his face is assymetrical--especially his nose.  He has the Mark-Hamill-after-the-motorcycle-accident "look" if you ask me.   :P
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2004, 08:32:05 AM »

I do like Brook Benton, especially Rainy Night in Georgia and Walk on the Wild Side (and the other song he sings in the film, whose name I can't remember) and I liked Dinah Washington, too.

The movie rating system has never really worked in the way it was intended to.  It's arbitrary, inconsistent, and based on the whims of a small group of people whose moods change from day to day.  There should be no shame in a G rating and no shame in an NC17 rating.  There should be a separate rating for movies solely intended for children, perhaps a C rating.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2004, 08:45:11 AM »

Several months ago on "Ebert and "Roeper," they talked about how unfair the rating system is.  Roger Ebert gave the example of "Whale Rider" which got a PG-13 rating (and thereby cutting off its intended audience) just because they have a single shot of "drug paraphernalia" and a couple of naughty words, but that some other "main stream, major studio" movies have much, much more violence and language, and they also get PG-13 ratings.

As for maps, if I can write down verbal directions, I can follow them fairly well...I just can't remember them if I don't write them down.  I can also follow a map, but if you ask me which way is north without any kind of map-like reference, I have no klew.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2004, 08:49:26 AM »

I love Dinah Washington!

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2004, 08:52:09 AM »

Directions: I live in L.A. and need all the help I can get! I have a compass that my Dad installed on the top of my dashboard. I have many paper maps devoted to specific regions. I have the Thomas Guide. AND I go to MapQuest and print out what I need (both going and returning). Until recently, MQ used to have the Avoid Highways option. Since I prefer, whenever possible, not to drive freeways, this was the option I chose most frequently. Now, I'm "up a creek," so to speak. Ah well, time to use my other resources.

My father has an incredible sense of direction. He can literally find a needle in a haystack. On the other hand, when he is momentarily lost, he--like a lot of other men--refuses to stop and ask for directions! Oy.

Movie ratings: I find them, for the most part, helpful. I wish I had looked at the rating for "The Big Lewbowski" before I suffered through it. Every other word was the F-word! The rating? R - For LANGUAGE! Oy.

P.S. Off topic somewhat: I wish someone, besides the Coen's, would give Steve Buscemi a chance at some normal roles (if you know what I mean).

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2004, 08:58:42 AM »

Thank you, DR Ben. In fact, he WAS talking to me. He was saying "FEED ME!"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 09:55:22 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2004, 09:52:41 AM »

Responding to a question from last night:  The cast for the upcoming 110 in the Shade in Pasadena has not yet been announced.

As for the movie rating system, I believe it is absurd how films get rated for sexual content vs. violent content.  

On the other hand, I do believe there has been a breakthrough in the "NC-17" rating.  The Dreamers was released by Fox Searchlight with that rating, and there appears to have been little resistance from the theatres showing the film and the newspapers advertising it.  Perhaps directors will no longer be forced to cut their films to fit into an "R" rating.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2004, 09:55:19 AM »

According to Michael Reidel (not always the most accurate source) Barbara Barrie Harnick was fired from the FIDDLER revisal because she was too sophisticated.  Is it true that the LA Times wrote an early review of the show and said it wasn't Jewish enough?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2004, 09:56:07 AM »

Lovely notes....lovely late night posts yesterday.

Yes MBARNUM and I are looking SO forward to the new CD!  

My question for ASK BK day - did you watch the films that Stein scored?  And if so, what did you think of Anna Sten in RUNAWAY DAUGHTERS?   :P

I liked written directions and I use Yahoo-MapQuest a lot which I find to be fairly accurate.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2004, 10:02:23 AM »

Is it true that the LA Times wrote an early review of Fiddler on the Roof and said it wasn't Jewish enough?

The gist of the article was that Jewish audiences have become too assimilated to appreciate the work the way audiences 40 years ago did.  It is a weak argument, IMHO, inasmuch we Jews are notorious for "never forgetting."  The other day, Dear Reader Panni also pointed out how the author of the article mistakenly confused nationality with religion.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.calendarlive.com/stage/cl-ca-rosenbaum15feb15,2,3804438.story?coll=cl-stage-features
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 10:02:59 AM by Jay »

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2004, 10:06:35 AM »

Re: American Idol

I think it will be very interesting to hear what the judges say tonight.  Sometimes when they watch it on tv, they see different things (like if someone is off-pitch or whatever).

I will also be curious to see if the audience listens to the judges. I know football guy was fairly popular. And they showed him in the auditions.  Yet somehow I think that the judges negative comments will hurt his chances.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2004, 10:08:38 AM »

Good morning one and all!  Happy Wednesday.  I have given up on calling it Hump Day, since it has been so long.  Last night I watched the DVD of Abbott and Costello’s Hold That Ghost, part of the new A & C set of 8 films that I purchased yesterday on a whim.  I have always loved A & C.  They are my all-time favorite comedy team, next to, probably, Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley.

Hold That Ghost always been a bit of a disappointment to me, when I see it, because the title is so misleading.  Unlike later films that included Dracula, Jekyll and Hyde, and Frankenstein’s monster, among others, there is nothing supernatural in this film.  The closest we get to ghosts is one of the murderers who hides underneath a sheet in several scenes.  Still any movie with Joan Davis, Richard Carlson, and Shemp Howard. along with Bud and Lou, can’t be all bad.  I laughed out loud at several parts of the films, but, it is definitely not one of A & C’s best features.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2004, 10:16:01 AM »

Re: directions

I'm pretty good at following maps.  For some reason when I need to go somewhere I just find it on a map and locate the best route myself. I've only once used  mapquest (or the equivalent). And that was because my aunt was travelling with me and she printed it off the internet.

I will say this though. Sometimes in Montreal I feel like you need to be a genius.  You basically have to just know which highway and direction you want, and keep that in your head, while they have you turning what seems like in circles.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2004, 10:23:29 AM »

Jay - Thanks for the info on the LA Times FIDDLER item.  I tried to read the item but I had register for the 14 day free trial to read the article and they would not let me register without giving a credit card number for a FREE trial.  So I guess I won't be able to read it, but thanks for trying.

Shirley Jones (in the Tammy Grimes role) and her son Patrick Cassidy (in the Jerry Orbach role) are joining the 42nd STREET revisal for 4 months starting in April.  Interesting casting, but for once I think that stunt casting has actually hit it right.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2004, 10:34:06 AM »

..but if you ask me which way is north ...

As any 7th grader can tell you, North is up!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2004, 10:44:46 AM »

Check your e-mail, Dear Reader William E. Lurie.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2004, 10:47:57 AM »

Good afternoon!

I would have been here for "Good Morning!", but I actually slept in until Noon - well, when I looked at my clock radio it said "11:59".  So...

I can't believe I slept so long.  And actually relatively well.  So, it's not a total bust... And since I have absolutely nothing on my schedule for today...  (Of course, there are some things I should get done today, but... -The joys of "vacation".)

Directions: I'm pretty good with directions overall.  Maps are good.  Written directions are good.  Verbal directions are good.  My big thing are landmarks.  Give me stores, gas stations, weird billboards to keep an eye out for anytime.  Yes, I do get lost from time to time, but like DR Pogue, I like the adventure aspect. Of course, if I happen to get lost while I'm already running late, that's a totally different story.  I've found Mapquest works best for trips over 20 miles - or at least any trip where you have to get on a highway - at least in the DC/NoVA area.  Otherwise, to get up the street will require a trip around the block sometimes.

In other news....

Last night's "American Idol" - *I still need to catch up on last night's late night posts, so...  The big culprit was bad song choice.  Why pick a smooth jazz song?  Why pick an easy listening song?  Why pick a "slow groove"?  It appears the contestants were trying too much to show a different side of them rather than showing the judges who they really are.  -Which the judges commented on.  Also, since this is the third season of AI, don't these "kids" know what it takes to impress the judges by now?  To impress the public?  Haven't they been watching the show?!?!

Which brings up an interesting question or two:  How much say do the show's vocal coaches (and the producers) have in the selection of the material?  And are the contestants restricted in choice of material due to the fact that they may not - or can not-? - repeat material from previous seasons?

OK - Well, I need to catch up on the posts from last night... and my back lower back is also acting up a little bit now - ???  Time for the Advil!

Ciao for niao...
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2004, 11:06:55 AM »

Jay---
Thanks.  I am at work and the e-mail address I use on HHW is the home address so I now have something to look forward to besides spam in my e-mail when I get home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2004, 11:32:55 AM »

Does the greeting at the top of the page (underneath the date and time) always say, "Good evening...."?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2004, 11:38:05 AM »

OOOHHH!!!!!

How could I have forgotten?!?!?!!

Thank you, DR Jed, for mentioning Violet yesterday.  I truly love that show.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up