Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WALK ON THE WILD SIDE  (Read 22525 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WALK ON THE WILD SIDE
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2004, 11:40:51 AM »

Does the greeting at the top of the page (underneath the date and time) always say, "Good evening...."?

Actually, for me, it currently says, "Good afternoon"...But it does change through out the day according to the time of day.  You may need to check your "local time" setting here on HHW, which I believe is part of your "Edit Profile" settings.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2004, 11:44:56 AM »

Not for me. It says Good Afternoon right now at 2:44pm EST

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2004, 11:47:22 AM »

My father used to love "taking shortcuts" back when I was growing up.  Somehow we'd get up into the Hollywood hills and meander all over the place.  The only uncomfortable part of these adventures was that many of them would take place in his Karman Ghia (the car, not the character), with Mom in the passenger seat and myself in the back.  Of course, I'm nearly as tall as Dad, which made for a lot of time spent bent over in two.  Very ouch.

The only city I've had trouble figuring out which way north was located was Seattle.  I was there for a softball tournament, and it rained the entire time.  If this had happened in, say, Dallas (and it did), then everyone would have waited for the skies to clear, but Seattle is far more sensible: we played in the rain.  (Players didn't just slide into second base, they hydroplaned right over it!)  Well, as a result of the clouded over skies, I never got a bearing on which way was north until well after our visit.  I'd had everything turned completely around, putting the Space Needle up at the top of my mental map.

(By the way, the food at the Space Needle was overpriced for what it was.  But it was nice, in a tourist-trap kind of way.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2004, 11:50:58 AM »

My ask BK question is similar to JRands question. Also want to know if you watched the Ronald Stein scored movies and if so did you see REFORM SCHOOL GIRL? That is one of my all time favorite 1950s juvenile delinquent films. With a tag-line like "You'll know the worst about every woman, when you see REFORM SCHOOL GIRL!"it's gotta be entertaining!

TCB, am glad you picked up the Abbott and Costello DVD set. Fun! I am enjoying there movies so much! Can't wait to see PARDON MY SARONG, which is one that I have never seen before!

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:17 AM »

For me it says it's 11:47am yet it says good evening.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2004, 11:51:58 AM »

By the way TCB, are you going to get the Ma and Pa Kettle or the Francis the Talking Mule DVD sets?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2004, 11:52:57 AM »

One of my co-workers, who is always a real sweetheart (Australian, of course), brought me a present today.  She brought an original dinner menu from the ocean liner Andrea Doria.  The menu is from May of 1955, approximately one year before the Andrea Doria collided with the cruise ship Stockholm and sank off the coast of Nantucket. Today is not a special occasion, or my birthday, she just knew that I was fascinated with ocean liners and various ship disasters, and she had a couple of menus that had been saved by her family.  Isn’t that cool???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2004, 11:53:50 AM »

Yeah, it's got the time right...11:54 a.m., but it still says "Good Evening..."

Funny that!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2004, 11:54:31 AM »

I'm not sure what bothers me more, that the MPAA ratings are used to define what is "dirty" as opposed to what is for mature audiences, or that the parents who should be paying attention to the ratings don't bother.  There's been many a time when der Brucer and I have gone to the theater for an R rated film, and found parents bringing in their tots to what is clearly not intended for that age group.  

Worse was the time I was in a bookstore, shortly after Batman Returns was released.  A mother was scolding her four-year-old son for pointing at a bit of Batman merchandise, telling him "No no!, that's the bad Batman.  We don't want anything to do with the bad Batman like last time."

Like last time?  The film was clearly labled PG-13.  Hadn't she bothered to check the reason why it had received that rating?  Or was she expecting something starring Adam West?  And, of course, rather than admit that she had made an inappropriate choice, she blamed the film.

Do I sound like I wasn't impressed?  Because I sure wasn't.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2004, 11:57:07 AM »

One of my co-workers, who is always a real sweetheart (Australian, of course), brought me a present today.  She brought an original dinner menu from the ocean liner Andrea Doria.  The menu is from May of 1955, approximately one year before the Andrea Doria collided with the cruise ship Stockholm and sank off the coast of Nantucket. Today is not a special occasion, or my birthday, she just knew that I was fascinated with ocean liners and various ship disasters, and she had a couple of menus that had been saved by her family.  Isn’t that cool???
That's beyond cool, TCB!  That's Far Out!

What's on the menu?  (When you get a chance, no rush.  And virtual karma!)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2004, 12:00:31 PM »

Tomovoz are you coming my way in the Fall of 2005? :)

Kerry thank you for the lovely photos, especially the one of you, Sandra and Jay.

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2004, 12:07:08 PM »

DR Jane: Colin and I had hoped to vist the USA this year on our return from France but have decided (for a few $ reasons) to wait until next year and visit the West Coast (maybe fly to NYC as well). At this stage we are thinking of flying to Vancouver and then heading South and visiting some of those glorious parks. I think we will go at least as far as San Francisco. Maybe we will also take a short tour to the Grand Canyon. We are certainly hoping to meet up with a few Hainsies on our travels.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2004, 12:08:08 PM »

That is a really swell gift, TCB. Isn't it great to have friends who just know you so well??
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2004, 12:09:38 PM »

Tom, although we would love to see you in NYC, if you've never been to the Grand Canyon, you must see it. I found it amazing.

Give France a big hug for me (I'm an Anglo and Francophile all rolled into one). Also a kiss to late, lamented DR Francois!

Jane

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2004, 12:10:54 PM »

That brings up an interesting question for BK and the rest of the DRs:  How good are you at following directions, to get from place to place?  Do you need good maps, or can you find your way with reasonably sound instructions?  Are you better off with a navigator by your side, or would you rather the bloke kept his mouth shut?

Disaster stories on getting lost, and how you would avoid said disasters, would also be appreciated!   :D

I’m terrible at following directions and I can’t read in a moving car without getting sick so I don’t read maps-the print is too small anyway.

I have too many disaster stories.  Anyone who has ever gone the wrong way or missed their exit on the New Jersey Turnpike has a disaster story.  I swear-once on the New Jersey or some areas of the Pennsylvania freeways you can’t get off.  I made a few illegal turns (meaning, I crossed the divider illegally) after an endless amount of time without finding another exit.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2004, 12:13:21 PM »

Jrand and MBarnun: I was only given the music, and have never seen any of the films.  I do think it will be a fun CD.  The fellow who's putting it out said sometime this summer.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2004, 12:15:25 PM »

Well, TomovOz, you must visit the pacific northwest as there are a slew of HHWers up here in Oregon and Washington! Maybe that would be a good time for a HHW get together in Portland!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2004, 12:16:22 PM »

Sorry, Jennifer, but making excuses for a bad performance, sick or not, is the height of amateurism.  I get so turned off by it, in auditions particularly.  You're supposed to be a professional; unless you're at death's door, the show must go on...People paid their money you're supposed to give them a performance, not an apology or an excuse.  As Simon said last night, if they audience had paid to be there last night, they would have been cheated.  If you're sick, if your performance was less than stellar because of it, keep it to yourself...nobody cares.  I've gone out on stage before suffering colds, croaking with laryngitis...It doesn't matter.  One of my most treasured theatrical memories was a school play outing, going to see Margaret O'Brien all grown up in
BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.  It was obvious that the lady was suffering from a dreadful head cold, but she was out there onstage valiantly giving the audience the best performance she could muster under the circumstances.

My feeling is if you're too sick, don't perform; but if you're sick and you decide to perform, don't make excuses for your performances.  Like John Wayne says in THE SEARCHERS:  "Never apologize, mister, it's a sign of weakness."  Of course, the girl last night wasn't even apologizing, she was just whining and feeling sorry for herself. Well, boo-hoo-hoo...

Ben, thanks for the Radio 3 link; it's now bookmarked with my favourites.  I love the "listen again" feature on BBC, so you can hear these shows anytime you want.

Hyde Park's nice, but I'm a St. James Park, man, myself.  A little smaller and just prettier what with Buckingham Palace in the background and the Horse Guard trooping by occasionally.  Of course, it has always been the one I've been situated closest to.  When I was first there in '82, doing my Sherlock films, they initially put me up in the Duke's Hotel, right between Picadilly and the Pall Mall.  Then moved me over to a tower apartment on Buckingham Gate and Victoria.  I could view the St. James Park and see the changing of the Guard at the Palace from my window.  And every late night you'd hear the comforting sounds of the mounted police's horse clip-clopping on the cobblestone street below.

The lovely wife has an almost daily ritual of going to St. James to feed the ducks and squirrels.  The squirrels, particularly.  She's even gotten to know a couple of delightful old geezers who are expert squirrel-feeders and from them has learned the tricks of the trade as to what feed to get and how to get them to crawl right up your arm for it (the squirrels, not the geezers).  We have more pictures of us, sitting on park benches with squirrels perched beside us or on our shoulders, eating nuts out of our hands.  And, unlike LA squirrels, there's no possiblility of rabies.

We did take our skates one trip though and went roller-skating in Hyde Park along the Serpentine. Very nice.

RLP...you're not the only one who has done a trial run to figure out how to get someplace.  I've been known to do it, especially when I know I'm going to have car full of people and concentration might be distracted.  

I also agree with your comments on American Idol...footballer, even though not his best performances, was still heads and shoulders above most, if not all, last night.  He was assured and confident and hit his notes.  He just should have picked a better song.  And, as I've said, Hawaiian girl a mystery...not a good performance.

I love both Brook Benton and Dinah Washington and love their two duets together, Baby, You've Got What It Takes and That's a Rocking Good Way where Brook goofs up and Dinah chastises him on the record.  They were supposed to do a whole album together, but Dinah, who apparently was something of a crotchedy diva, was really pissed at Brook when he came in at the wrong spot and didn't have much tolerance for him and Brook was intimidated and didn't like being read the riot act  by her.  So I think on the album, they only sing four songs together and the rest are solos by one or the other.  It is a disappointing album and it's shame.  If they both had been a little more patient with one another, it might have been great.  The song with the mistakes was released because they couldn't get the two back together to do it right.  Apparently, Brook was upset the producer released it.  Maybe the royalties mollified him later.

No one does September in the Rain better for me than Dinah.  I also like This Bitter Earth.  She also has a song on one of her early albums called Long John, which is one of the filthiest innuendo songs I've ever heard.

I love tons of Brook Benton...notably Shadrach, Fools Rush In, Kiddio, Walk On the Wild Side, A House is Not A Home, Rainy Night In Georgia.  

On one of my Benton albums, I have an interesting cut of him doing a demo of the Clyde McPhatter hit, It's A Lover's Question...a song which Benton co-wrote.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 12:24:26 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2004, 12:30:21 PM »

DR Jane: Colin and I had hoped to vist the USA this year on our return from France but have decided (for a few $ reasons) to wait until next year and visit the West Coast (maybe fly to NYC as well). At this stage we are thinking of flying to Vancouver and then heading South and visiting some of those glorious parks. I think we will go at least as far as San Francisco. Maybe we will also take a short tour to the Grand Canyon. We are certainly hoping to meet up with a few Hainsies on our travels.

Your plans could take you right past our town. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »

MORE AMERICAN IDOL COMMENTS:

DR Charles Pogue: I totally respect your opinion re: sick performers making excuses.  I've never been at an audition, so I'm really just giving my personal opinion as a viewer.  What she said didn't turn me off.  

One comment I'd like to make though, is that I suspect most viewers who watch AI are like me.  They aren't music experts and don't know if someone is off pitch or how many wrong notes they are hitting.

To you guys this is obvious. And that is one way that you judge the performances.  I mean sometimes it is obvious (like the brothers).  But it's not always.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2004, 12:48:05 PM »

DerBrucer, beautiful pictures.  Thank you.

DRLaura the goose is cute.  I do enjoy them, but not where I have to walk.

TCB-yes, very cool and nice of your co-worker.

MBarnum, Portland would be nice too or you could come to Ashland.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2004, 12:50:15 PM »

Ordered the fan for my computer.  Should be here next week, then I'll have a tech come out and install it.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2004, 12:50:43 PM »

I'm going to explode the myth propogated by women that men hate to stop and ask for directions when they're lost.  It has nothing to do with some macho stance that we're too embarrassed to ask for help from our peers.  If I'm late and lost, I'll stop and ask for directions.  What women don't understand is that when we're lost and there is no specific time schedule, we're just not panicked by it and look at it as kind of an adventure to see if we can find our way back.  Women love detailed planning; men just go with the flow more easily.

Currently listening to Brook Benton, some undiscovered (or rediscovered) gems:  Still Waters Run Deep...Two Tickets to Paradise.  And then there are some of the better known ones that are fun Hotel Happiness, Hit Record, Lie To Me, Boll Weevil...There has yet to be an outright dud on this particular album yet (Well...Going, Going, Gone is less than spectacular).  Brook Benton:  Forty Greatest Hits

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2004, 12:54:57 PM »

My big thing are landmarks.  Give me stores, gas stations, weird billboards to keep an eye out for anytime.  

Well, up here in Rehoboth they had a large flyer posted advertizing an event and the location was specified as "on the service road near where the Ames department store used to be".

der Brucer (getting tired of being told to turn left three blocks before where the BP gas station used to be)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2004, 12:55:08 PM »

Jennifer, I'm far from a musical expert...but I can still tell when someone hits a clinker, has breath control problems, or has no stage presence.  And when in doubt, I rely on Simon...I almost always agree with his comments...except for Hawaiin Girl...

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »

Mr Pogue must be just about to hear Brook singing about a Lumberjack!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »

Back from the dentist. I've learned a new term: "Preventative Dentistry." What it means is that the dentist wants to sell you all sorts of expensive devices not covered by your insurance (for those of us lucky enough to have dental insurance -- Thank you WGA) - things like retainers to wear at night so you don't grind your your teeth, so they don't wear down, so  twenty years from now you won't get a crack in the tooth. I'll be happy to remember my name twenty years from now! Who cares about cracks in my teeth. I also didn't buy the $150. electric tootbrush which is "better" than the electric toothbrush my previous dentist said was the best. Why is everything a business?!  End of rant.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 01:04:38 PM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »

to late, lamented DR Francois!

Oh no!  I know he hasn't posted for a while but I was unaware that he had passed away.  When and how did this happen?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2004, 01:06:54 PM »

...And I also don't think I grind my teeth at night. I can't prove it because I've never watched myself sleeping. (Except for my out of body experiences - oops (spoo) we shan't talk about that.)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2004, 01:07:18 PM »

Interesting tune, Lumberjack...zeroing in on the finale, Rainy Night in Georgia...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up