Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 23680 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BIDIN' MY TIME
« on: March 06, 2004, 12:07:24 AM »

Just as I went to post today's notes my computer froze.  Hate that.  HATE that.  In any case, you've read the notes, you've digested the notes and now you don't have to bide your time, you can post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 12:01:41 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 02:21:01 AM »

BK, as it is now 2:16AM, I doubt seriously whether I'll be meeting you for breakie at any Du-Par's at any 9:30 in the morning.  The lovely wife and I just got through a marathon session of NOTTING HILL & THE MAN IN THE GLASS BOOTH.

Favourite Sinatra?  I've always been a fan of young Sinatra with Dorsey.  Some favs would be NIGHT & DAY, OH LOOK AT ME NOW, EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO ME, POLKA DOTS & MOON BEAMS.  I'm also quite fond of one on one of his fifties or sixties albums called RAIN.  But I like a great deal of Sinatra from all ages, though the Vegasy Scooby-Dooby-Doo, change the lyrics around era pales a bit.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 02:27:30 AM »

And, BK, I want to know the raunchy Beller remark you teased us with last night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 02:29:38 AM »

Favourite Sinatra songs are "Cycles" and "Love's Been Good To Me".  Not really a big fan of his film performances. Maybe "High Society" and "Pal Joey".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 02:36:24 AM »

Favourite Sinatra?  I've always been a fan of young Sinatra with Dorsey.  Some favs would be NIGHT & DAY, OH LOOK AT ME NOW, EVERYTHING HAPPENS TO ME, POLKA DOTS & MOON BEAMS.  

I also have to have to agree with DR Mr. Charles Pogue. He had such an amazing voice when he was Dorsey. I don't have a particular song like Mr. Pogue has, but his output back then was amazing.

I don't really care for Frank Sinatra when he became just Frank Sinatra but there was a brief period where he put a series of recordings post-From Here to Enternity and pre-Rat Peck era that were really good.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 02:41:01 AM »

I am not sure if they were commercially released but Sinatra's pre-recording for the films Carousel (he quit) and the animated version of Finnian's Rainbow (never released or never finished can't remember) were interesting interpretations of the songs. I don't think vocally he was right for the part of Billy Bigelow. As for Finnian's its been a long time since i heard it but I like it.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 03:34:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  I miss Du-Par's.  I remember talking to Roger Rees there one morning during the Judy Kuhn album.  And I have a vague memory of a large group dinner there after one session, maybe Liz' On and Off-Broadway album?

So, it's a Sinatra day?  Let's see . . .

SONGS (too many choices!)
Saturday Night is the Loneliest Night of the Week
I Can't Get Started
Something Stupid
It Was a Very Good Year

FILMS
Manchurian Candidate
Come Blow Your Horn
Can-Can
Take Me Out to the Ball Game

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 03:38:32 AM »

Oh DRJay -you are right that we don't have Susan Hayward or Ida Lupino to play "Martha In the Big House" - so I say there is only one other choice:  Eleanor Parker....she can get that big wide-eyed look....and we're set!

Well while Mr BK was bidin' his ti-yime - 'cos that's the kind of guy he-yime, he chose a couple of my favorite Frank Sinatra movie performances:  Some Came Running and The Manchurian Candidate.  So I will add From Here to Eternity and Pal Joey.

As for songs:  "The Best Is Yet to Come" with its swinging arrangement - maybe by Nelson Riddle....or was it Neal Hefti?

AND NOW.....in honor of her birthday.....HHW'ers....here she is, Miss Mary Jane Hayes later known as Allison Hayes, as a beautiful 19 year old having just been named Miss District of Columbia and heading for the Miss America Pageant! (Thanks to DR JMK!)

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 05:53:35 AM »

Favorite Sinatra songs:

"Time After Time" (always and forever my favorite song of his)
"You're Sensational"
"Young at Heart"
"I Didn't Know What Time It Was"

Not a fan of him as an actor, but he was well cast as a heel in PAL JOEY, and I thought he really tried in THE DETECTIVE and made that a believable cop.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 06:12:49 AM »

Off to rehearsal....everyone have a nice day.  DR MATTH watch Rock Pretty Baby....it will make you laugh!  And there is another surprise at the end of the tape!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 06:34:56 AM »

DR Panni,

So very sad about Rachel's friend.

I must have been in high school when I read Edward Arlington Robinson's poem, "Richard Corey." But I thought of it when I read your post, and I read the poem again. It's a poignant as ever.

Danise

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 07:02:30 AM »

Good morning all!

I too am very sorry about Rache's friend, Panni.  

I finely heard about Michael Balls concert tickets.  I just hope I won't get nose bleed seats.  

Well, I have tons to do today.  My Mother wants to go have a perm and that takes hours.  

See/talk to you all tonight after we get home.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 07:34:08 AM »

DR JRand, I'm sure I will enjoy ROCK PRETTY BABY when I finally get around to it, but I have to winnow down the obscene stack of DVDs I have presently sitting on my kitchen counter. It's going to take a week of concerted viewing to even make a dent in them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 07:42:32 AM »

DR Charles Pogue:  I read your late-night comment from yesterday that you thought Dragonheart was OOP.  I just myself yesterday saw it in a two-pack with Son of Dragonheart (or whatever the sequel was called  ::) ) for a whopping $14.95 at Fred Meyer (Portland's version of Ralph's).  It seemed to be a "real" release (Columbia Tristar maybe?  Can't recall right now.)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2004, 07:42:55 AM »

Good morning. I think all the Sinatra songs I love have been mentioned. As for films, I think FROM HERE TO ETERNITY has been left out. HIGH SOCIETY? ON THE TOWN? MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, natch.
I'm a big Frankie fan - so almost anything (except his Paul Anka songs) gets me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2004, 07:53:29 AM »

Sinatra had such a beautiful bel canto line through his phrasing - usually unmatched in "pop" singers... but I was listening to some Bing Crosby the other night on the road, and he had it too. Makes pretty much everything I hear from either of them my "favorite" while I'm listening.

Panni, I'm so sorry for your daughter's loss. I had one when I was 16, a close girlfriend in my grade died an untimely death. These are life-changing experiences. Another close friend of mine from that time has turned that particular death into Art, after all the decades...

Elmore3003 - tell me about your libretto adaptation for Houston Grand! And are you in LA??? I'd love to get together and chew the fat, so to speak...

Bye to all DR's from PennyO, now in Kingman, AZ, and headin' for home!
PennyO

Panni

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2004, 08:09:50 AM »

Oh yes - and I forgot to say DuPars sounds good. I've been thinking about pancakes lately. And if pancake heaven exists, that's the place. I'll wear a white carnation, DRs.

Panni

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2004, 08:10:45 AM »

Just read your post, PennyO. Thank you for the thought.
Have a wonderful drive home!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 08:16:47 AM »

Du-Par's a comin'.  Be there or be round, you dear dear people out there in the dark.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 08:44:40 AM »

I see we are all bidin' our time here at haineshisway.com

Glad someone mentioned Time after Time.  And anyone who doesn't think Sinatra could act or wasn't a fan of his films should see The Manchurian Candidate.  He's really good in it, plus you get to see Miss Leslie Parrish, who never looked more beautiful than in this film.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2004, 08:57:22 AM »

Too many favorite Sinatra songs to list!  The man had a beautiful vocal instrument, with a timbre like no other.  His phrasing set a standard that few have ever approached.  I enjoy the man's artistry from the beginning of his career to its end.

To add to the fine list that has been begun by my fellow Dear Readers:

--The House I Live In
--New York, New York (just for the "aaaaaaaaaand" near the end of the song)
--Come Fly With Me (what an arrangement, too!)
--One for My Baby and One More for the Road
--Luck Be A Lady
--That's Life
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2004, 09:00:33 AM »

He also had the BEST arrangers and orchestrators - Nelson Riddle, Billy May, Gordon Jenkins, Alex Stordahl.  I'm also quite fond of the two instrumental albums he conducted - one of Alec Wilder's music (and he also sang a great I'll Be Around by Mr. Wilder), and an album called Tone Poems of Color, mostly written by film composers like David Raksin, Elmer Bernstein, Andre Previn, etc.  They're both on CD (both OOP, I think) but worth seeking out.  He also conducted one of Peggy Lee's best albums, The Man I Love, I think.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2004, 09:00:56 AM »

I'll be leaving for Du-Par's shortly.  Be there or be round.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2004, 09:02:12 AM »

Oh, and I listened to a bit of the Jack Black/Richard Linklater commentary on School of Rock - very jokey, but the half-hour I heard was just not informative enough about the stylistic choices for the film, which is what I was most intrigued about.  There's also a commentary track from the kids - that might be more fun.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2004, 09:02:46 AM »

I'll be leaving for Du-Par's shortly.  Be there or be round.

I'd love to join you all for pancakes this morning, but I'm afraid it ain't gonna happen.  Next time, OK?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2004, 09:07:03 AM »

Wussburgers.  Ain't gonna happen.  What kind of talk is that?  What if the Lord had said, "Ain't gonna happen" when creating the world in seven days?  What then, I ask.  I ask, what then.  Then I ask what.  What I ask then.  Then ask I what?  Well, I think we've beaten THAT every which way but loose.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2004, 10:44:17 AM »

Another favourite Sinatra song is from the movie HIGH SOCIETY called "Mind If I Make Love To You?"  

I have never seen the movie HIGH SOCIETY...for several reasons, I think.  First of all, I love THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and find the three leads in HIGH SOCIETY poor substitutes for Gary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Kate Hepburn.  Secondly, Frank and Bing, despite their various charms, are just too old for the parts.  I've also always found Grace Kelly a bit of a cold fish (despite Hitchcock's obsessive fantasies about her).

But most of all, I absolutely hate the song "True Love."  It is probably my least favourite Cole Porter song just like "Always" is my least favourite Irving Berlin song and "Yesterday"  is my least favourite Beatles song.  And they'd all be right up there with Alley Cat, It's a Small World, and Pepe as my least favourite songs of all time.

Well, I got nothing against Frank in film, I can't say any of his movies kick me in the butt.  I probably like best is MGM stuff with Gene Kelly, but Kelly's really the reason I'm there.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2004, 11:40:58 AM »

Wussburgers.  Ain't gonna happen.  What kind of talk is that?  What if the Lord had said, "Ain't gonna happen" when creating the world in seven days?  What then, I ask.  I ask, what then.  Then I ask what.  What I ask then.  Then ask I what?  Well, I think we've beaten THAT every which way but loose.
What goes on a Wussburger?  Are there Atkins Wussburgers, sans buns?  And how is being sans buns supposed to improve the looks of your buns?

Der Brucer and I just weren't able to get ourselves there today.  At the time our esteemed BK wanted us to dine on breakfast, we'd have wanted to sup on lunch!  However, their menus look good, as always.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2004, 11:49:36 AM »

I've never been a Sinatra fan.

Right now, der Brucer is listening (with much brio and volume) to the OCR of The Secret Garden.  The Marsha Norman/Lucy Simon version.  The new speakers serve the recording well!  Interesting what has become of some of the cast since then: Rebecca Luker is the queen of Broadway revivals, John Cameron Mitchell is the world's most famous German transsexual rocker, Robert Westenberg has been touring the nation (and world) taking his clothes off, Mandy Patinkin has become...well, Mandy Patinkin.  As for Daily Eagan, I don't know what's become of her?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 11:52:21 AM »

I have never seen the movie HIGH SOCIETY...for several reasons, I think.  First of all, I love THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and find the three leads in HIGH SOCIETY poor substitutes for Gary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, and Kate Hepburn.

In my opinion your instincts are “right on”.   I don’t understand the fuss over HIGH SOCIETY, yet I never tire of THE PHILADELPHIA STORY.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up