Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 23900 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2004, 11:54:11 AM »

I don’t have a favorite Frank Sinatra song from his early music which I enjoy very much.  On the other hand, I prefer not to hear his later work.  Once in a while I will see a wonderful, old film clip of him singing OLD MAN RIVER.

Panni how is your sweet wonderdog today?  Is he feeling better?

I keep thinking of Rachael and her friend.  It is so heart wrenching.  So often when a child becomes depressed the parents are the last to know, or know the severity of it, yet most often they are the ones who can give the most support & hopefully save their child.  Sadly the friends often know but don’t think they should call the parents.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2004, 12:17:07 PM »

I've come across another example of the lack of film history that too many film reviewers suffer from.  This time, the example is the CNN review of Hidalgo.

Consider the following extract:

But despite the sweeping vistas and dazzling sunsets, it's hard not to be distracted by how derivative director Joe Johnston's film is.

There are giant chunks taken from the
Indiana Jones movies, especially in Mortensen's permanently cheeky manner as he navigates his way through various sandswept adventures.

Lawrence of Arabia obviously springs to mind, especially with Omar Sharif playing the powerful Sheikh Riyadh, against whose horses Hopkins is competing. (It is marvelous, though, to see Sharif's formidable presence on the big screen again after nearly a decade-long absence, and the role is a perfect fit.)

Hopkins' journey from post-Wounded Knee inebriation to self-possessed steeliness in a foreign land recalls Tom Cruise in
The Last Samurai (which recalled Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves).

A suffocating sandstorm and an attack of locusts, while impressive, are reminiscent of the Brendan Fraser
Mummy movies.

And comparisons to another film based on a true story,
Seabiscuit, are inevitable: The rider is too big and the horse is too small, and no one thinks they can win against a sea of vastly superior animals.

End extract.

Notice something here?  There's only one film in that list that was produced prior to Star Wars, and that film was famously restored and returned to the theaters in 1989, post-Tatooine.

And does anyone else find absurd the critic's accusation that Hidalgo is derivative of the Indiana Jones films, or The Mummy, when those films were derivative themselves, and purposely so?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2004, 12:17:31 PM »

Hey, everyone!

I just got a WEIRD letter.  Apparently, I've won a $5,000 scholarship to St. Josephs University (which I suppose I was eligible for through my membership to Phi Theta Kappa).  They're a Jesuit school, and don't seem to have a theatre program...so, yeah...while I'm honored, it just ain't happening.  (My mom sent me to a Jewish pre-school for crying out loud).

I adore Sinatra!  The phrasing, the depth of interpretation, and ah, the voice...for my favorite songs, let's go with "I've Got You Under My Skin," "Night and Day," "All or Nothing At All," and "New York, New York."

But most of all, I absolutely hate the song "True Love."  It is probably my least favourite Cole Porter song just like "Always" is my least favourite Irving Berlin song and "Yesterday"  is my least favourite Beatles song.  And they'd all be right up there with Alley Cat, It's a Small World, and Pepe as my least favourite songs of all time.

I don't care for "True Love" that much either.  I mean, I'm as big a Porter fan as they come, but I just find it rather...banal.

Jane

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2004, 12:18:14 PM »

I miss Du-Par's.   I have a vague memory of a large group dinner there

I have a fun high school memory of a snatch breakfast at the Farmer’s Market Du-par's.

Jane

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2004, 12:20:38 PM »

Echo and I are off to visit our friends at the nursing home.  Have a nice day.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2004, 12:20:57 PM »

Maya, I am also a huge Porter fan too...but even the master could write a clinker every now and then.  I think "banal" is the perfect word to describe "True Love."  It is irritating in its banality.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2004, 12:23:15 PM »

...I don't care for "True Love" that much either.  I mean, I'm as big a Porter fan as they come, but I just find it rather...banal.
Good point, Maya, it is a plain song.  It requires a truly great voice to lift it above itself (such as Rebecca Luker's recording, that BK produced), and those are hard to come by.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »

I've never been a Sinatra fan.

Right now, der Brucer is listening (with much brio and volume) to the OCR of The Secret Garden.  The Marsha Norman/Lucy Simon version.  The new speakers serve the recording well!  Interesting what has become of some of the cast since then: Rebecca Luker is the queen of Broadway revivals, John Cameron Mitchell is the world's most famous German transsexual rocker, Robert Westenberg has been touring the nation (and world) taking his clothes off,

WHAT??  What's he doing?  Where do I get tickets?? ;)

I was never really a Frank Sinatra fan, but I like a lot of the songs that have been mentioned.  I also have copies of his recordings of "Send In the Clowns" and "Good Thing Going" by Stephen Sondheim.  I just had to.  I have never heard his version of "The Tender Trap" but I love the song and I especially love Janis Siegel's version.  It's on her CD called "The Tender Trap," which is very good in my humble opinion (IMHO in Internet lingo).  I highly recommend it (of course I would...she's part of The Manhattan Transfer).  The first song on the CD is a version of "That Old Black Magic" in 5/4!  It's wonderful.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2004, 12:40:33 PM »

Bing, Grace and Fred are wonderful in the MUSICAL of "The Philadelphia Story."  

Since BOTH are available, it should not be too much of an inconvenience for lovers of one or the other (or both) to co-exist....yes?

It's a fun film with lovely music.  It has a place in this world.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 12:50:25 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2004, 01:06:44 PM »

No one is saying High Society doesn't have a place in the world, I'm just saying I've never been able to muster up any desire to see it and the lackluster clips and snatches I have seen of it have never stirred any interest in me to see it.  I like Frank; I like der Bingle; Grace Kelly I was always ambivalent about...but somehow this movie has always been a real who cares for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2004, 01:25:59 PM »

I've never been a fan of High Society.  However, the Rebecca Luker recording that someone mentioned has a wonderful version of True Love on it - in fact, I adore the album in total (it's a Cole Porter album) - we had a blast doing it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2004, 01:26:47 PM »

Oh, and might I just inquire where in tarnation IS everyone?  Guess I'll have to go elsewhere for my mental delectation, although what's here IS cherce.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »

I like Frank; I like der Bingle; Grace Kelly I was always ambivalent about...but somehow this movie has always been a real who cares for me.

Fair enough, but, for me, the real attractions of High Society are Celeste Holm and Louis Armstrong.  (No one's mentioned them yet...where in tarnation IS everybody?)

I guess my favorite Sinatra song is My One and Only Love and, film performance, Guys and Dolls.  Even though he and Brando should have switched roles.

Question I need help with: If you knew a female star 50 years ago, like Lucille Ball or Judy Holliday, who was about to testify before the HUAC, how would you advise them to dress?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2004, 01:42:34 PM »

To anyone if the southeast area of Florida.

I have an extra ticket to see Mary Cleere Haran on Monday night. If you would like to go please email ASAP
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2004, 01:44:48 PM »

And if people e-mail you ASAP, what will you do with ASAP?  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2004, 02:00:09 PM »

Just came back from the wilds of Glendale and there is so much here to comment on.
Jane - The wonderdog is back to his wonderself today. Thanks for asking. I think it was the medication the new vet (to whom I shall never go again) put him on. I specifically said to her, "If the tests show nothing wrong, why put him on meds? What if they have side effects?" She looked at me like I just crawled out of a hole and said, "I'm not in the habit of giving medication to animals that would make them worse." I should have known right there. But I thought maybe the meds would clear up whatever it was in his system that was giving him an upset stomach. Anyway, I know better for next time. Just go with my instincts.

Maya - My daughter, who is Jewish, goes to a Jesuit school. So just because the place is a Jesuit college, it doesn't mean the scholarship offer is not legit.

Jane again - Yes, that young man's story is so very sad. But sometimes even friends don't know. The daughter of the friend who told me of the tragedy was out with him just hours before it happened. He seemed fine. True, she'd been trying to help him cope with his depression with long phone conversations in the middle of the night, and so on. But I think most young people refuse to even entertain the thought that a friend might kill himself.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 02:01:59 PM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2004, 02:09:57 PM »

RE HIGH SOCIETY vs PHILADELPHIA STORY. No comparison, of course. But I still enjoy HIGH SOCIETY. I find it relaxing and fun.
Has anyone mentioned Frank in GUY AND DOLLS? And we've got to include THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION, just because he looked so silly.

Jane - I recently saw that Old Man River clip you mentioned. It was unbelievably good.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2004, 02:20:35 PM »

I have to join the crowd of nay sayers on HIGH SOCIETY.  I love the PHILADELPHIA STORY, but I don't think HIGH SOCIETY's doing anyone's reputation any good:  my favorite Cole Porter song in the score is "Well, Did You Evah" and that's recycled from DUBARRY WAS A LADY!   I think the musical with Melissa Errico did some things better thatn the film, but even that's not as good as it could have been.

Rebecca Luker's recording of Porter songs was a great deal of fun, and she's one helluva dame, that Luker.  BK kept everything sparkling from his diet Coke to his saucy demeanor, and I even finished on schedule.

DR George, I believe Robert Westenberg's touring in THE FULL MONTY at present.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2004, 02:31:21 PM »

Whilst on my travels I managed to score two interesting LPs which have eluded me: One, the divoon McGuire Sisters doing the score to Subways are for Sleeping, which I'm transferring to CD whilst I type, and Jackie and Roy singing Andre and Dory Previn songs.  The McGuire Sisters LP is in excellent condition, albeit mono, but it's SIGNED by the sisters!  $4.99

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2004, 02:50:55 PM »

Well, I'll be coming down ON the side of HIGH SOCIETY. Is a great musical? Nope. Is it as good as THE PHILADELPHIA STORY? Not on your life. (How could it be? Philip Barry wrote it for Katharine Hepburn, tailored Tracy Lord to her personality, mannerisms, and attitude.) But it's a professionally executed, entertaining fluffy musical. Superb cast, excellently directed by Charles Walters, and has grand production design and music.

Now, about that music: I think the score is wonderful. Very entertaining, and if you'll notice, one of my favorite Sinatra renditions mentioned in my page one post was "You're Sensational" which I think is the best song in the score. But I'm glad Cole Porter wrote ALL of it. I wouldn't want there not to have been that score to HIGH SOCIETY. The film might have been even better if they had cast a singer in the Tracy Lord part. As we have it now, the leading lady and the most important member of the cast sings half of one song IN A MUSICAL comedy. Might be fun to think of which musical leading lady could have handled Tracy Lord on film.

"True Love" banal? Hmmmmm...... even Cole Porter thought so. He always said he was amazed the song sold over a million copies because he himself considered it one of his weakest songs. I think it's simplistically charming, but who am I to argue with the composer?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2004, 03:16:00 PM »

Noel:  my late Uncle, the infamous leftist, was indeed called before the HUAC (in fact Martin Dies called him "the baby-faced Pinko of New York's docks," which I have always loved).  Charlie, though not a female, and certainly nothing like Lucille Ball (aside from swearing like a sailor, which he was), I'm sure would have looked stunning in pearls and taffeta.  As it was, he refused to wear even a suit and, unlike Kazan (his former tenant), he refused to even recognize the committee's right to be asking questions, let alone answer them.  I have his complete trial transcript from my FOIA requests.  It's a disturbing yet fascinating record (kind of like some Ray Conniff records I used to have--oh, wait, that's a different kind of record).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2004, 03:18:17 PM »

BK, I thank my (or perhaps your) lucky stars you were able to get the "McGuires" to record "Getting Married Today."  Quite possibly my favorite track of yours.   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Danise

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2004, 03:28:40 PM »

Evening all!

Mom had her perm and looks quite nice, if I do say so myself.

Oh, and I had my hair cut.  Now I heard that sharp gasp you made.  I know you remember what happened the last time when that sheep shearer got her hands on my poor hair.  

Well we went someplace else.  I was waiting for Mom to be finished and was looking in the style books and found one I just fell in love with.  The lady was so nice that did Moms hair that I showed her the picture and asked if she could that and (more important) would it look good on me.  

She said, "Yes" to every one of my questions and so I decided to let her cut (gulp)  my treasured locks.  It turned out even better than I had hoped.  I LOVE my new look and now I am a kempt woman.   :D

We also went to the local GoodWill store.  I was able to find a wax bath for my hand.  Now that it is confirmed that I have RA in my right hand, my doctor suggested I get one.  The warm wax should help my pain.  I knew I had it before it was "official".  I shouldn't have gotten so upset when I got the call on Thursday but there's something about that time between you have the blood draw and you get the results that you tell yourself it's not going to be true.  Then it is true and its that much harder to accept.

Question for you, Bruce--why did you choose Adkins over South Beach?  I read both books and choose South Beach because it seemed so close to what I already eat.  I didn't think I would have a hard time sticking with it and that's very true.  I don't really feel like I'm on a diet.  

I also bought my carry on suitcase for the trip to Utah and a new purse.  I'm only going to be gone 4 days and 3 nights.  I don't think I'll need to pack the house to take with me.  I wasn't going to bother with a carry on but more experanced friends said I have to in case my check in suitcase gets lost.  A very scarry thought.  They said I need to have  change of clothes and everything I consider important, like my digial camera, with me on the plane.    I hope they don't lose anything of mine.  

Has anyone here had that happen?  What do you do?  Did you get your stuff back?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2004, 03:28:54 PM »

We can't even get to page three?  My goodness, the errant and truant will be bitch-slapped from here to eternity.

Emily

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2004, 03:33:22 PM »

I was just singing along to "No Good Deed" from the Wicked cast album and my cat got up from my bed where he was sleeping and RAN out.

I'll take that as a sign ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Danise

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2004, 03:46:18 PM »

Well, I guess we'd better get posting!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2004, 03:51:02 PM »

Oh, I wuz only funnin'.  What care I if we achieve a new low and by quite a margin, too.  I care not, it is just The Way of Things.  I've got the McGuire Sisters singing Subways are for Sleeping to assuage my bitter tears of Emmanuel Kant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2004, 03:51:54 PM »

Or was it the bitter tears of Gus van Sant?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »

Or was it the bitter tea of General Tso?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2004, 03:52:56 PM »

Or was it the bitte schoen of Sally Bowles?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up