Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BIDIN' MY TIME  (Read 23933 times)

MBarnum

Re:BIDIN' MY TIME
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2004, 06:39:19 PM »

BK, how will I still be able to order Kritzer Time later this month? I am waiting for my taxes which should be deposited in my sadly emply checking account in about 1 week!

I am not a big fan of Sinatra. I like his Big Band stuff from the 40s, but that is about it I am afraid.

Weather was fairly nice today and I finally was able to get the grass cut in the front yard. The back yard will have to wait!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 09:21:48 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2004, 06:40:06 PM »

WFO, I think you asked last week where in Oregon I live. I live in Salem which is just about 30 minutes north of Corvallis.

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2004, 06:54:35 PM »

And I just sent you Sinatra sings Icelandic hits MBarnum. Oh well!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2004, 07:00:52 PM »

I just checked in with "Schoolfriends.com" or whatever it is called. Have not been there for a couple of months . Good to have a few messages there from students I taught way back in the 1960's. Good for the go to be remembered kindly. Have never bothered much with contacting fellow students or teachers - figured we would still be in contact if were close! I always reply to the students and as yet have remembered them!
At least I'm posting and it is a fresh topic. Any other experiences from the Schoolfriend site?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »

The Big Bounce....original...is that Ryan O'Neal and Leigh Taylor Young?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2004, 07:26:06 PM »

I'm sitting here thinking I should post - but have nothing particularly interesting to say. I should be writing tonight, but I feel more like reading. So, I think I'll read. -- Now what to read? I have several things on the go, plus one book I want to begin, plus newspapers and magazines...  There. I've posted this WILDLY interesting post.  Whewww!

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2004, 07:33:10 PM »

Not sure that I can cope with posting something quite of that calibre Panni! I'll have to do some in depth research before my next post.  My reading matter at present is "Everything Was Possible".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2004, 08:07:17 PM »

Yes, Ryan's first film.  MBarnum, if you're telling me you'll order it I'll hold it for you.  I literally have two copies left and I really don't have a clue when I'll reorder those.  

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2004, 08:12:51 PM »

Well, ladies and germaniums, I've been trying to hide from reality for a couple of hours with Dracula II [is that a title?  I mean is that a title, Irving?], a nice second-rate clichéed (1) gory flick--which makes me think of Joe.  Uh, let me clarify that.  We've gotten to spending Saturday nights watching just such cinematic germs gems.  And what do you do on a Saturday night alone?  (Oh, a... need I say it?)

And now I am listening to the OCR of Seesaw on my computer CD player, which I think has the best sound in the house--perhaps because it is the only one with a subwoofer.  But it skips whenever I download a new page.

And by the bye, how did they get away with "Welcome to Holiday Inn"?  Shouldn't it have been "Welcome to Holiday Inn™" or else a big, fat law suit?

I'm going through a Cy Coleman phase since he was at the Musical Theatre Conference here at Hofstra last March.  There are so many scores of his I didn't really know, and I am developing a great admiration for him.  

I know I didn't really report on the conference at the time, because I missed a lot of it, having a truly horrible tooth-ache that week.  But I did see Cy talk,actually just tell anecdotes about all his shows and personalities; I know I've quoted a couple of his stories here.

And there was also an evening concert (for all of $10 a seat), "Cy Coleman and Friends".  His "friends" consisted of his combo, Michelle Lee, Greg Edelman, Carolee Carmello, and a fourth singer whose name escapes me at the moment.  Michelle, of course, sang "Nobody Does It Like Me" and "I'm Way Ahead/Seesaw".  

One of the highlights was his combo playing "Three" from I Love My Wife, which is an incredible jazz piece, but I never realized it, because I was always so absorbed in Michael Stuart's lyrics.

So what am I missing from my Coleman collection now?  The Will Rogers Follies, Wildcat, The Life OCR (I only have the weird concept album) Julie Wilson's Coleman album, and a bunch of movie scores which probably aren't available.  Oh, I see on amazon that Cy also has a solo album, different from the old one I have on vinyl.

And what does all this have to do with Sinatra?  Well, "Witchcraft" for one, and "The Best Is Yet to Come" for another.

(1)Although one could make a case for spelling the participle clichéd, it is normally only  silent e that is elided with the suffix, and I therefore elected the additional e.  Or whatever.  --wfo
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 08:16:42 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2004, 08:13:19 PM »

FS Pogue - Saw your name on a soundtrack record of THE FLY today.

Of course, the record has no dialogue...it's all music and the work of one Mr. Howard Shore.  It was his biggest scoring assignment to that time.

The cognoscenti here will recognize Mr. Shore's name as the composer (and THREE-TIME OSCAR WINNER) for the trilogy to "The Lord of the Rings."

Mr. Shore's score for "The Fly" brought him great notices, is considered a classic of the genre by a great number of film music fans,  and his assignments -- and prestige -- grew from then on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 08:17:39 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2004, 08:14:50 PM »

Just came back from the wilds of Glendale and there is so much here to comment on.
Jane - The wonderdog is back to his wonderself today. Thanks for asking. I think it was the medication the new vet (to whom I shall never go again) put him on. I specifically said to her, "If the tests show nothing wrong, why put him on meds? What if they have side effects?" She looked at me like I just crawled out of a hole and said, "I'm not in the habit of giving medication to animals that would make them worse." I should have known right there. But I thought maybe the meds would clear up whatever it was in his system that was giving him an upset stomach. Anyway, I know better for next time. Just go with my instincts.

Maya - My daughter, who is Jewish, goes to a Jesuit school. So just because the place is a Jesuit college, it doesn't mean the scholarship offer is not legit.

Jane again - Yes, that young man's story is so very sad. But sometimes even friends don't know. The daughter of the friend who told me of the tragedy was out with him just hours before it happened. He seemed fine. True, she'd been trying to help him cope with his depression with long phone conversations in the middle of the night, and so on. But I think most young people refuse to even entertain the thought that a friend might kill himself.

Glad he is feeling better.  If you need referrals for a new vet I can check with my friends if you like.

I think I have been to the Jesuit school.  Where is it located?

I think most young people just can't comprehend suicide.  I hope this friend of his doesn't feel guilty she didn't help him.  Once again, it is so sad.

Our computer froze today & I am using a little lap top Keith picked up this afternoon.  I really don't enjoy using it & find it difficult to read.  I think Keith should be able to improve the brightness & contrast once he has completely set things up.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2004, 08:15:24 PM »

Well.....I have just watched CAMP and the I share feelings expressed here at HHW yesterday....but I will add a couple of things that were touched on...

I absolutely loved the Promises, Promises song "Turkey Lurkey Time" - I think Mr BK singled it out yesterday as well.  Such terrific choreography, and the kids did so well.  Only thing the kids couldn't do were fan kicks, but that's okay!  Made me get out my album and play the song again and try some of those steps!

I also liked the final moment in the film proper when those two kids were doing the beginning of WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?

And the pretentious director telling the three kids who were doing a play sitting in a dumpster:  "Try it again, and don't mess up the blocking this time!"  LOL!

Jin-gle bells, jingle bells, jin-gle bells, jingle bells, jin-gle bells, jingle bells....

Is DRJOSE still drinking?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2004, 08:20:19 PM »

I don't like "The Red Blues" or "The Ritz Roll and Rock,"  but the former does look good on the SILK STOCKINGS DVD.

Many of the songs he composed for ALADDIN are forgettable.

But I could easily list fifty that I think are smashing with inventive tunes and almost unparalleled witty lyrics.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2004, 08:23:30 PM »

I am not a big fan of Sinatra. I like his Big Band stuff from the 40s, but that is about it I am afraid.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Except for the Big Band stuff.

Oh, wait!  That leaves...nothing.  

Yep, I knew that was it!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2004, 08:25:14 PM »

I don't like "The Red Blues" or "The Ritz Roll and Rock,"  but the former does look good on the SILK STOCKINGS DVD.

Many of the songs he composed for ALADDIN are forgettable.

But I could easily list fifty that I think are smashing with inventive tunes and almost unparalleled witty lyrics.

The truth is, there are clunkers in virtually EVERY musical out there.

How did this become pick on Cole Porter day?  Oh...wait...I remember...it's Sinatra day....and Sinatra was in "High Society"....and....oh....

...never mind.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 08:26:59 PM by RLP »

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2004, 08:25:14 PM »

In COLORED LIGHTS, Kander and Ebb do not have nice things to say about Sinatra's take on "New York, New York." Ebb especially did not like his lyrics tampered with.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2004, 08:28:07 PM »

The truth is, there are clunkers in virtually EVERY musical out there.

How did this become pick on Cole Porter day?

Well of course there are, and I'll say that the ones I mentioned in my message came near the end of his career which was marked by great success and huge popularity. There's no shame in not being as adept near the end of your life. Richard Rodgers certainly wasn't, either.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2004, 08:40:37 PM »

It's interesting that a singer can be so loved and not-loved by so many.  I'm watching The Big Bounce (the original) which is thus far The Big Bore despite being based on an Elmore Leonard novel.  It's hilarious when they pick these huge bombs to remake, isn't it?  The Italian Job was not a success (the original) and this thing was a huge stinkaroo.  It has, perhaps, the all-time worst score ever written for a film, by Mr. Mike Curb.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2004, 08:46:40 PM »

But I have ALL the MIKE CURB CONGREGATION lp's!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2004, 08:56:13 PM »

I'm afraid I'm going to have to shut this tripe off.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »

But...but...didn't "the Congregation" sing most of the great movie themes of the 60s?

Remember "Burning Bridges"?

And didn't they have a version of "Lara's Theme"?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2004, 09:00:47 PM »

"Burning Bridges" I have.....don't remember that they did "Lara's Theme", but it sounds like something they WOULD do.

Turn the damn thing off MR BK....your time is more valuable than that!

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2004, 09:01:34 PM »

If they're going to remake something, take something unsuccessful and see if someone with a different perspective can do something more inventive with it.

Don't waste your time remaking masterpieces or very successful and well made films: PSYCHO, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, CHARADE.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2004, 09:04:41 PM »

Michel Legrand wrote a very lovely score for the American-International "Wuthering Heights" starring Timothy Dalton and (?) Anna Calder-Marshall.

The theme was given lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman and The Mike Curb Congregation sang it -- "I Was Born in Love With You" -- on the "air" label soundtrack album.  A very, very lush score that got nothing but contempt from one Mr. Page Cook.

I've classified it as one of my major guilty pleasures in film music.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »

In COLORED LIGHTS, Kander and Ebb do not have nice things to say about Sinatra's take on "New York, New York." Ebb especially did not like his lyrics tampered with.
They were both gracious enough to put in print that they appreciate the "fame" and $ that Sinatra's version brought to them! - despite his changing of the lyrics.
I still prefer the Liza version and I'm not really a Liza fan either.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2004, 09:23:43 PM »

BK, I think I confused you with my lack of proof-reading (I have now fixed my previous post). I was referring ot Kritzter Time as the book I want to order later this month, but didn't know when you needed to send in your pre-order.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2004, 09:26:01 PM »

... a version of "Lara's Theme"?
Done as a polka, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2004, 09:26:18 PM »

I'm doing the order Monday, but I'll definitely have enough to take care of you.  I thought you hadn't read Kritzerland.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2004, 09:38:26 PM »

Glad he is feeling better.  If you need referrals for a new vet I can check with my friends if you like.

I think I have been to the Jesuit school.  Where is it located?

Thanks, Jane. I have a new place in mind, but will let you know if it doesn't work out.

Rachel goes to the Univ. of San Francisco.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2004, 09:41:10 PM »

Noel:  my late Uncle, the infamous leftist, was indeed called before the HUAC (in fact Martin Dies called him "the baby-faced Pinko of New York's docks," which I have always loved

...  I have his complete trial transcript from my FOIA requests.  It's a disturbing yet fascinating record (kind of like some Ray Conniff records I used to have--oh, wait, that's a different kind of record).

I'd like to see that transcript some day, JMK.
So, that brings up another question: When did the term "pinko" come into use?  Was the Dies quote from the period?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up