Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MOMENTUM  (Read 22765 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MOMENTUM
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »

JMK, I don't remember exactly what your guesses were, but I don't think any of them were correct.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 09:43:35 AM »

So, there I was, doing the long jog, approaching the halfway point (two miles), when what do I hear?  Well, I'll tell you what I hear, loud and clear, being shouted from a VW bug - "Hey, fag!"  Yes, in the year 2009, in Los Angeles (or Studio City), someone leaned out the window of a VW bug and yelled, "Hey, fag!"  Now, perhaps seeing a sixty-one year old Jew in cutoff jeans with great legs stirred something deep inside him that was disturbing and this was his way of combatting it.  Or maybe he's just another intolerant teenage asshole with a brain the size of a barbecued almond.  Or maybe his parents taught him well.  Whatever it is, I found it astonishing, and not in a good way.  We think we've come a long way, baby, and yet people prove time and again we have a long way to go.  I wish for this person a cataclysmic event in his life that will shake him to his very foundation, so that he perhaps learns what tolerance and good manners mean, and that creating positive energy brings good things and yelling, "Hey, fag" makes the world more of a cesspool than it already is.  Yes, a nice, cataclysmic event for that young man is just the ticket.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:10 AM »

The period I simply cannot comprehend is the Holocaust. I don't understand the hatred, and I certainly don't understand the systematic annihilation of a race of people with (seemingly) no second thoughts about it and certainly no guilt or shame. No matter how many books I read on the period, I can't wrap my mind around how this happened and was allowed to happen.

Other than the German efficiency, I fail to see how the Holocaust differs from any other genocide in history. Are the Nazi's more incomprehensible than todays Palestinian culture that supports suicide bombers? And to the issue of "allowed to happen" just look at the relative ease with which we dismissed Rwanda and are dismissing Darfur and you'll see how convenient it was to turn away from the Holocaust.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »

TOD

The start of WW I - so many miscalculations.

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »

The period I simply cannot comprehend is the Holocaust. I don't understand the hatred, and I certainly don't understand the systematic annihilation of a race of people with (seemingly) no second thoughts about it and certainly no guilt or shame. No matter how many books I read on the period, I can't wrap my mind around how this happened and was allowed to happen.

DR Matt--I was going to write about the time I had become slightly obsessed with the Holocaust for precisely the reasons you mentioned.  It started when I was still in sixth grade with my scanning through Time Magazine's Yearbooks of the late '40s and seeing pictures of mostly German POW camps. But when I saw the TV moive version of QBVII I was stunned and began to read and research more and more about it, trying to discover some kind of answer about this horror for myself.  At some point, when I was in my early 20's, I stopped.  Today, I almost completely shy away from the subject.  I still haven't seen SCHINDLER'S LIST.

I'm still somewhat obsessed about it.  Keith is very aware of it when he attempts to do genealogy research.  There is so much information missing, and of course the number of people missing is even greater.

My grandmother came from a large family in Vilna.  As far as we know all of her siblings were lost during the Holocaust. 

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »

I wish for this person a cataclysmic event in his life that will shake him to his very foundation...

Or at least better Gaydar ;D

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »

So, DR JRand, did you watch TAR yet?  Did anybody?

I did! What did you think?

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »

Thanks DR FJL.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »

DR Jennifer I have had burns hurt for days, weeks. I would begin using an antibiotic ointment today.  I find aloe ointment bothers my skin so I often avoid products with it.

Thankfully when i woke up it was not hurting. I have never had a burn hurt for more than an hour.

It is very odd looking. It is a big red square. But it is on the underneath side of my arm (between hand and elbow).

I have antibiotic ointment and a light wrap around it.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 09:55:04 AM »

Are the Nazi's more incomprehensible than todays Palestinian culture that supports suicide bombers? And to the issue of "allowed to happen" just look at the relative ease with which we dismissed Rwanda and are dismissing Darfur and you'll see how convenient it was to turn away from the Holocaust.

der Brucer

I have contemplated this.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 09:56:26 AM »

Thanks to DR DtM for the TAR update - the mentioned results pleased me.  I am not saying I am happy a team left....effort counts for a lot - but I don't MIND that the team that left was the team it was.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »

DR JENNIFER I didn't see TAR, but was informed of the results as requested.

I think a trip to the doctor or Immediate Care might be in order for you. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »

I am shaking my head at MR BK's experience.....imagine such a sentiment being shouted from someone driving a VW BUG!!

Laura

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a doctor look at it, Jennifer, if it's large. My son had a scald burn, and we went to the doctor every other day so he could see it and make sure it didn't get infected.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 10:02:27 AM »

Are the Nazi's more incomprehensible than todays Palestinian culture that supports suicide bombers? And to the issue of "allowed to happen" just look at the relative ease with which we dismissed Rwanda and are dismissing Darfur and you'll see how convenient it was to turn away from the Holocaust.

der Brucer

I have contemplated this.

And America's refusal to allow the St Louis, with it's over 900 Jewish refugees, to land on American soil in 1939. (Another historical event "conveniently" forgotten.)

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »

I am sorry you had to experience that, bk.

It brings up disturbing and unhappy memories from grade school all the way through high school for me.   :(

Jane

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a doctor look at it, Jennifer, if it's large. My son had a scald burn, and we went to the doctor every other day so he could see it and make sure it didn't get infected.

I always watch burns carefully for any signs of an infection, such as a red line spreading out.  So far I have only had an infection once, and that was when I didn't use an antibiotic ointment on the burn.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »

So, there I was, doing the long jog, approaching the halfway point (two miles), when what do I hear?  Well, I'll tell you what I hear, loud and clear, being shouted from a VW bug - "Hey, fag!"  Yes, in the year 2009, in Los Angeles (or Studio City), someone leaned out the window of a VW bug and yelled, "Hey, fag!"  Now, perhaps seeing a sixty-one year old Jew in cutoff jeans with great legs stirred something deep inside him that was disturbing and this was his way of combatting it.  Or maybe he's just another intolerant teenage asshole with a brain the size of a barbecued almond.  Or maybe his parents taught him well.  Whatever it is, I found it astonishing, and not in a good way.  We think we've come a long way, baby, and yet people prove time and again we have a long way to go.  I wish for this person a cataclysmic event in his life that will shake him to his very foundation, so that he perhaps learns what tolerance and good manners mean, and that creating positive energy brings good things and yelling, "Hey, fag" makes the world more of a cesspool than it already is.  Yes, a nice, cataclysmic event for that young man is just the ticket.

Hmmm...I would think that a young straight male who is driving a VW bug doesn't have much leeway for shouting "Hey, fag" out the window.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »

I am sorry you had to experience that, bk.

It brings up disturbing and unhappy memories from grade school all the way through high school for me.   :(

I'm really sorry.  That is a lot of years to be tormented.  I hope you have some very good memories to offset these.

Laura

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »

... such as a red line spreading out. 

The red lines spreading out is very serious. So watch for that.

I had that when I got caught in the middle of a cat fight.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 10:35:30 AM »

I didn't know you were ever on DYNASTY.

Laura

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »

LOL.

(It wasn't so funny at the time.)

DAW

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »

And Laura DR has the mud stains to prove it!    :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »

So, DR JRand, did you watch TAR yet?  Did anybody?

I did! What did you think?

TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!
  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!  TAR SPOILER ALERT!!!!

It was a fun episode but am I glad that the hillbillies are gone!  Too much time has been spent on their dramas and it was more then clear that they would never hack it.  The blonds also have to go--jeeze! what a couple of chowderheads!  My favorite team is definitely Maggie and Luke.  I loved the faces Luke was making during the cake throwing challenge.  I also like the older couple, particularly how the wife quickly assessed the paragliding situation and made the decision to hike down the mountain.  I felt bad for the winning team because of the crappy prize they got, considering how how quickly and how far ahead they won this race.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:41:28 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »

I didn't know you were ever on DYNASTY.

I suspect DR Laura was taking minutes for the Ladies' Auxilliary.

der Brucer

DAW

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »

I hope you have some very good memories to offset these.

Oh indeed.  I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

It's just that when it happens, even if you laugh it off at the time, it can leave a lasting unsettled and uncomfortable feeling. 

And it doesn't even have to be personal.  The other day, after my car accident, while I was waiting for the police to arrive, someone passing by took the trouble to roll down their window and yell, "Pull your f****ing cars off the road!!"  Now, I knew enough not to do that, as I needed the scene preserved for the police report and insurance consequences.  But that idiot and their actions still rankled me, hours later, almost even more than those of the poor guy who bashed into me.

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »

I just read that Eric Blau, co-creator of the musical revue JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS, has died.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:27 AM »

Oh, BK, I am sorry and astonished to hear you tale!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Laura

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »

...and yell, "Pull your f****ing cars off the road!!" 

Sandra one time had someone exclaim 'It's a f***ing flamingo!" about a pen she had. She explained that, as it was plastic, such a thing was simply not possible.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »

Thanks for the concern DRs Laura, JRand and Jane but i don't think it's that bad. I guess my other burns have been so minor.

It is a red square (but not that big, maybe 1 inch by 1.5 inches). And it's red. But it doesn't hurt. Not even when i touch it.  I don't think it's too serious, definitely 1st degree burn. I'm using the ointment. And i will watch it. But i'm sure it will be fine.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up