Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ME FOR THE SEESAW  (Read 21930 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ME FOR THE SEESAW
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:08:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes seesawed, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently listening to the soundtrack for MOO For The Seesaw.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ME FOR THE SEESAW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »

And the word of the day is: PURLIEU!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:17:55 AM »

First post! Huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »

Anyway....DR DAW I would call it a hidden talent, since I don't use it much - and in fact after a bit of a psychological blocking some years ago, facing the keyboard is not my favorite thing to do - it was interesting to sight read again.  AND I used our new synthesizer, which we got along with a new electric piano.....both very nice instruments with lots of stuff.  And they both have computer interface which will be nice sooner or later!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:22:20 AM »

TOD:

I have always liked the score to GONE WITH THE WIND....and I certainly enjoyed THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH - especially after reading Doris' comment after recording "Que Sera Sera" - "Well that's the last time you'll hear THAT song!"

But as for music that made me sit up and take notice.....it was probably KING KONG by Mr Max Steiner or another Max Steiner score.....A SUMMER PLACE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:18 AM »

I am looking forward to receiving ILLYA DARLING.

Our piano player will return this evening - in the rain and snow, so I will be back to turning pages, which is fine with me.

I have also ordered TWO FOR THE SEESAW.....just to see.

Well DR MATTH - I am still with you.  I found Mr Bolger irritating in APRIL IN PARIS, and the French guy Claude Daupin pretty much of a flop as well.  The idea that Day and the beautiful Eve Miller would be FIGHTING over the affections of Ray Bolger was just too incredible!  I did enjoy "Ring the Bell Tonight" - it's always been my favorite song in the movie - and I watched Doris' face during her dancing with Bolger and she seemed to be having a good time...but then she is a great actress, and she wrote in her bio that Bolger and director David Butler were at each other's throats during filming, so everyone was pretty unhappy.

Robert Osborne also said that Warners had Bolger for three films including the film version of WHERE'S CHARLEY, and this film finished up that commitment.  So I think Doris was just stuck with him.  I wish Gene Nelson had done the part.  I love to watch them dance in TEA FOR TWO and LULLABY OF BROADWAY.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:30:26 AM by JRand58 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:28:35 AM »

Enough of me this early morning!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:32:35 AM »

DR JOSE thanks for the explanation of MOD-EST....which of course NOW seems obvious!

I love Previn's scores for 4 HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE and DEAD RINGER....both LP's that I are still played a lot!

DAW

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:57 AM »

DR JOSE thanks for the explanation of MOD-EST....

And if DR JRand58 is anything, he's modest.

DAW

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:22 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, thanks for the helpful explanation on the Twitter stuff.    :)

DAW

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:46:46 AM »

DR George, I'm very sorry you and company did not get to see Wicked yesterday.   I'm sorry you didn't try calling the box office, since you at least knew the seat locations, to see if some arrangement could be made.  I've read of people working with the house manager in some New York theatres under similar circumstances.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:53:53 AM »

TOD

Never stop dreaming.

DAW

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:31:42 AM »

Is that guy with the trenchcoat flashing us??

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 06:01:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: PURLIEU!

What was thefirst Broadway musical I eversaw?  PurlieU?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 06:09:33 AM »

I am looking forward to receiving ILLYA DARLING.

Our piano player will return this evening - in the rain and snow, so I will be back to turning pages, which is fine with me.

I have also ordered TWO FOR THE SEESAW.....just to see.

Well DR MATTH - I am still with you.  I found Mr Bolger irritating in APRIL IN PARIS, and the French guy Claude Daupin pretty much of a flop as well.  The idea that Day and the beautiful Eve Miller would be FIGHTING over the affections of Ray Bolger was just too incredible!  I did enjoy "Ring the Bell Tonight" - it's always been my favorite song in the movie - and I watched Doris' face during her dancing with Bolger and she seemed to be having a good time...but then she is a great actress, and she wrote in her bio that Bolger and director David Butler were at each other's throats during filming, so everyone was pretty unhappy.

Robert Osborne also said that Warners had Bolger for three films including the film version of WHERE'S CHARLEY, and this film finished up that commitment.  So I think Doris was just stuck with him.  I wish Gene Nelson had done the part.  I love to watch them dance in TEA FOR TWO and LULLABY OF BROADWAY.

Gene Nelson, Donald O'Connor, George Murphy--anyone would have been better than Ray Bolger!  They might as well have had Margaret Hamilton star in YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER...

This film also goes down in my book as having the most annoying French cabaret number ever!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 06:20:11 AM »

TOD:

I grew up with some of my parents' soundtracks--DR ZHIVAGO was one that I remember getting a lot of play--but the first one that I went out and actively bought for myself was Bill Conti's AN UNMARRIED WOMAN.  Although almost all of the tracks are just variations of the jaunty main theme, I loved it and played it incessantly.  It's never been released on CD--I've had to rip my own MP3's out of it.  I play it when I need a little musical pick-me-up.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:25 AM »

Good morning, all!  It's a rainy day in NYC and I'm happy that my intenerary takes me no further than the bank across Broadway today.  So, it's back to the Iroquois Theatre disaster this morning.

DR George, I am so sorry! I know how absolutely horrible that can be. I'm sorry you and your sister didn't begin the ticket search two or three days ago. When I was a child, there was on one of the Cincinnati tv stations a noontime show run by a personality, Ruth Lyons. The audience would have a fantastic lunch before the show and then move to chairs to watch and participate in the show's broadcast. Tickets were free, but the show was in such demand that, when and if you could get the tickets, it was always for a year or more in advance. So, in short, my aunt Dorothy requested and got tickets for her four sisters and all their children. We all took off from school, and the plan was that everyone would ride the train from my hometown to Cincinnati and make a festive day of the shebang.

Except, when we got to the train station, my mother had forgotten all of our tickets, We had to watch everyone climb onto a train, listen to my mother get several lectures - which she really deserved since organization was never her strong point - and head off to Cincinnati without us. My story ends more happily than WICKED: my dad too gave her crap about her organizational skills, drove us home, picked up the tickets and drove us to Cincinnati: we arrived at the station about 5-10 minutes before the train pulled in. I ended up being one of the audience members she interviewed! I'd like to say that my mother after that was organized but I have too many memories of no breakfasts before school, no toilet tissue, no lightbulbs, etc. because she "forgot."  This elephant never forgets and, as a result, I'm usually ready a day or two earlier.

TOD: GONE WITH THE WIND. Can't rememebr the next, but the big one in 1965 was GOLDFINGER.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »

I have clearly missed the info on ordering TWO FOR THE SEESAW, I believe. When was it posted?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DAW

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »

When was it posted?

In a bk post [#57, Page 2] on 1-April [WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?].
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 06:57:37 AM by DAW »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »

Wow! That long ago?

Thank you, DR singdaw.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »

What's run away with my mind? I've already ordered it!

I know, I am positive, that it's my mother's gene pool.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 07:14:29 AM »

I am a happy camper at the moment. UPS just delivered two packages, one of the containing the last two Handel pieces that Mr Mozart adapted for concerts at the home of the Baron von Swieten, ALEXANDER'S FEAST amd ODE FOR ST CECILIA'S DAY. I am au courant now!

Ginny

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's cold here in SW Ohio today - what happened to spring?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 07:19:41 AM »

I am au courant now!

I've always thought so.       :)

DAW

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »

Did I miss something?  Did bk decide not to go see Monsters Vs. Aliens in 3-D?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 07:29:29 AM »

Good morning!

It was rainy and gray when I got up this morning, but you'd never know it looking outside now. It's sunshiny and filled with blue sky. Wow! Should be a beautiful day today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »

Up too early, sending out the eBlast.  We're live, but something weird happened to the sound clips, they're not at their full bit-rate, which makes them sound squashed, so at some point today she'll fix them - depends on when she sees my e-mail.  Meanwhile you can get an idea.  elmore, you ordered Seesaw :)

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »

DR George i am so sorry. I also wonder if you could not have made some arrangements since you knew the seat locations.

:(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »

For those whose browsers or e-mail programs sometimes screw up the eBlasts, I've enabled a function that allows you to see it perfectly, housed on the Constant Contact site.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »

TOD:

I think the first soundtrack album I ever bought that was not a musical was HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I think I bought BEN-HUR later even though it came our four years earlier.

I still think HOW THE WEST WAS WON is my all-time favorite movie soundtrack. GOLDFINGER ranks right up there, and Mancini's film scores like BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, CHARADE, THE GREAT RACE, TWO FOR THE ROAD, etc. also rank very high.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up