Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AND ALL THAT JAZZ  (Read 17076 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: AND ALL THAT JAZZ
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »

WOW!  The Review is already in!

Brooks Musical Terrific

:)

:D

Wow!  Jose....you're a RAVE in Charleston SC.

If you can MAKE it there, you'll make it ANYwhere....

:D

Pity LESTAT didn't open in Charleston!

Trust me, TCB.....NO location could have made a difference with that show. 
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2009, 01:05:02 PM »

Pity LESTAT didn't open in Charleston!

;D ;D ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2009, 01:05:27 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - What you said!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »

Page 5 "I Guess That's Why The Call it the Blahs" Dance
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: April 17, 2009, 01:06:55 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - What you said!  ;)

It GRIEVED me to say it, though.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2009, 01:14:04 PM »

Brooks Musical Terrific

I guess you did good! And how large is the flawless band?

Well... -And yes I've sort of avoided answering this question answering this question on the board, but now that the review is out, well...

A majority(!) of the orchestra is MIDI/computer-generated/sampled. It wasn't my decision, but one that was dictated by the current budget constraints of the company.  The "box" is actually provided by the licensing company, and is being supplemented by two additional live players on keyboards, myself and my keyboard player. So, we are implementing the full 23(?)-piece orchestration, but it is being played by two live musicians.  I'm still processing some of the "gray area" in regards to this set-up, but I also know that if the company was able to afford a couple more musicians they would have.  And even though the computer "lives" in the "box", I still had to do a ton of tweaking in order to get the show to sound the way I wanted it to sound like.

So... When I saw the word "flawless", well... I guess the Word of the Day could apply in this instance.

*And as the director was reading the review at Patrick's last night sometime around 1:00am, trust me, we all had a good laugh.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »

I need to stop in at the office before I head to the theatre, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »

Brooks Musical Terrific

I guess you did good! And how large is the flawless band?

Well... -And yes I've sort of avoided answering this question answering this question on the board, but now that the review is out, well...

A majority(!) of the orchestra is MIDI/computer-generated/sampled. It wasn't my decision, but one that was dictated by the current budget constraints of the company.  The "box" is actually provided by the licensing company, and is being supplemented by two additional live players on keyboards, myself and my keyboard player. So, we are implementing the full 23(?)-piece orchestration, but it is being played by two live musicians.  I'm still processing some of the "gray area" in regards to this set-up, but I also know that if the company was able to afford a couple more musicians they would have.  And even though the computer "lives" in the "box", I still had to do a ton of tweaking in order to get the show to sound the way I wanted it to sound like.

So... When I saw the word "flawless", well... I guess the Word of the Day could apply in this instance.

*And as the director was reading the review at Patrick's last night sometime around 1:00am, trust me, we all had a good laugh.

Is this from "Real Time Music Solutions" via MTI? I did a couple of Rodgers&Hammerstein shows for them and I had to work like crazy to get the right notes and a nice balance for judging what it might sound like. The folk at Real Time are great!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »

I have to get ready to meet friends from Houston for dinner. I will try to stop at Little Pie Factory and pick up something nice for our DR Ben's visit tomorrow night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

Isn't DEBBIE DOES DALLAS one of the earliest shows to include music by Tom Kitt, now represented to great critical acclaim by NEXT TO NORMAL

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »

According to Publishers Weekly, the end is nigh.

So I guess joining you as a Borders clerk is not in my job future??        :-\

I Guess It's A Borderline Job

Now I got the Madonna song going through my head...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2009, 01:30:21 PM »

What a beautiful day to be outside. I walked around the shopping center (an outdoor strip mall type center) and enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. It was cool, too, so the walk didn't get me all sweaty.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »

Topic of the Day:

In my CD player:  "Two for the Seesaw" and a Bette Midler 4-pack from Costco:  "The Divine Miss M," "Broken Blossom," Thighs and Whispers" and "Some People's Lives."  The Bette 4-pack was only $19 total!

I like BROKEN BLOSSOM a lot--I think it's one of her underrated recordings.

DR George, a lovely package arrived at my desk this afternoon and I couldn't be happier!  I already did a sneak peek.  I can't wait to get home and watch MARY'S INCREDIBLE DREAM!  Thank you so much!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2009, 01:33:06 PM »

As I ate lunch, I watched CSI: NY. Craig T. Nelson was the guest star, but I guessed the murderer easily. Not one of the great CSI cases.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »

All right all you Susan Boyle fans, or not-so-much fans....here's a 10-year-old recording of her doing "Cry Me A River" for a millienium CD put out in a limited edition by the town she lives in:

Perhaps it will help to hear Ms. Boyle without audience participation.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 01:43:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2009, 01:40:09 PM »

I spent the majority of the afternoon with Stephen Frears' THE HIT. It has the same wryness and dryness that PRICK UP YOUR EARS had: somewhat tortured people dealing with problems that are bigger than they are.

I enjoyed the performances, particularly a very young Tim Roth and Terrence Stamp (in another of his sort-of Christ symbol characters). I was a little underwhelmed with the story, though. I got impatient with one bad decision made after another, particularly from a hitman who was seemingly professional and experienced (played by John Hurt).

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:36 PM »

I listened to the audio commentary, a pieced together effort with Frears and the screenwriter, the editor, and actors Roth and Hurt all adding comments. I did enjoy hearing stories of casting and production problems filming in Spain.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »

There was a 37 minute interview with Terrence Stamp on a BRitish talk show (kind of a Charlie Rose type interview show) in 1988, four years after THE HIT which is mentioned only in passing. Stamp was publicizing WALL STREET and his autobiography.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:01 PM »

I ended my afternoon watching last night's KROD MANDOON. Easily the worst yet of the televised episodes, not enough Krod and too much of the enemies. Very disappointing.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »

We are back from a lovely outing to Findlay Market with my friend Lori.  She shared a lot of "dish" from my old workplace and we took her for a tour of Mt. Adams and Eden Park.  My lunch was a vegetarian crepe from the Taste of Belgium stand - roasted red peppers, spinach, and goat cheese in a buckwheat flour crepe with a balsamic glaze.

Sounds good.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »

So it appears I will have the evening free. I must make a concerted effort to get some of the recorded stuff watched and erased from the DVR. I noticed it was at 86% capacity, so I need to do some major watching and erasing. Then, I'll see what kind of time I have left for something on DVD or Blu-ray.

Jane

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2009, 01:46:48 PM »

I have a feeling that Borders will also be on their way out very soon if they can't make money from music and movies how could they do it from just books??

According to Publishers Weekly, the end is nigh

I find this sad.

Jane

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »

DR Ron I'm glad you posted the link for CRY ME A RIVER.  I suspect it won't be long before we read she has a recording contract.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »

It is now day 6 since our exposure to Poison Oak & I have a new section on my body.  According to  this informative article this should be the last day for new irruptions.  I hope so.  Ivy, Oak, etc. these itchy rashes last a good while.  I can easily put my fingers around my left wrist, they won’t go around my right wrist it is so swollen.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »

So sorry about the rashes, DR Jane. This stuff can make one so miserable. Hope it's gone sooner rather than later.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2009, 02:23:07 PM »

I've got to hop off-line now and do some writing.

WBBL.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2009, 02:31:35 PM »

Thanks Matt H.  I keep telling myself I've had it worse & I'm not as bad as Keith.  Since moving here my patches have all been fairly contained and only one or two at a time, far more tolerable.   

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »

Topic of the Day:

In my CD player:  "Two for the Seesaw" and a Bette Midler 4-pack from Costco:  "The Divine Miss M," "Broken Blossom," Thighs and Whispers" and "Some People's Lives."  The Bette 4-pack was only $19 total!

I like BROKEN BLOSSOM a lot--I think it's one of her underrated recordings.

DR George, a lovely package arrived at my desk this afternoon and I couldn't be happier!  I already did a sneak peek.  I can't wait to get home and watch MARY'S INCREDIBLE DREAM!  Thank you so much!

I'm listening to "Broken Blossom" right now!  I've never heard this album...nor have I heard many of the songs.  I like it a lot. :D

And I'm glad I had the "Mary's Incredible Dream" video...as bad as it is. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »

All right all you Susan Boyle fans, or not-so-much fans....here's a 10-year-old recording of her doing "Cry Me A River" for a millienium CD put out in a limited edition by the town she lives in:

Perhaps it will help to hear Ms. Boyle without audience participation.

Very nice.  She's definitely got some talent. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »

It is now day 6 since our exposure to Poison Oak & I have a new section on my body.  According to  this informative article this should be the last day for new irruptions.  I hope so.  Ivy, Oak, etc. these itchy rashes last a good while.  I can easily put my fingers around my left wrist, they won’t go around my right wrist it is so swollen.

That's a small consolation, Jane.

~~~Vibes for a Quicker Recovery!!~~~
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up