Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: AND ALL THAT JAZZ  (Read 16921 times)

FJL

Re: AND ALL THAT JAZZ
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 07:45:53 AM »

Page 3 THEME FROM PHYLLIS dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8--8V7bVeI

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »

I just finished going over the list of "bubble" shows and shows closest (if not already gone) to cancellation.

Among the big shocks: CASTLE is listed as "on the bubble." I thought it was one of the biggest hits ABC has had in quite a while. I would be SHOCKED to see it not renewed.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-04-15-sos-network-chart_N.htm

I do hope that both SOUTHLAND and CASTLE survive, as I do very much enjoy those two shows.

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 07:50:03 AM »

By the way, I did watch that KROD MANDOON show, but only got about half way through before turning it off. I liked the idea, but thought that the lead actor (although quite attractive) was just not very good.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2009, 07:56:07 AM »

Listening to The Broadway Radio Show.

And I have a Trivia Question:

What other piece of musical theatre (besides Illya Darling) has a song entitile "Po Po Po"?

I warn you, I have only my memory to rely on and have not found any documentation on this.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

I am heading downstairs now to get cleaned up for my usual Friday outing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »

Since it is Friday, I would like to contribut to the TOD by updating my Alphabetical Musicals Project.

After a brief detour for the recently arrived Anya, Une Chambre en Ville, Evening Primrose, and Milla Ilieva, I resumed the D's with The Cradle Will Rock, which had somehow found its way out of the C's on the shelf.

I have the 1985 revival with Patti Lupone, but not the 1964 revival with Jerry Orbach (in a different rôle from Patti).

When I first heard the score on the earlier LP in college, I had no idea about the famous first night of the show, probably the most famous "opening" besides Pygmalion and Ernani.  I actually first heard the story from Lehman Engel who told it to us in the first-year BMI workshop.  Lehman was the conductor of the original production, although he didn't, of course, get to conduct, since there was no orchestra. 

The show is almost always done with only a piano, in homage to its history, which, if you don't know, you can find on Wikipedia or in Tim Robbins' highly fictionalized film version Cradle Will Rock (without the the).  There are some recordings, I believe, with the full orchestrations, which I'd love to listen to.

The show really seems to be ripe for a revival.  Written in 1938, it speaks directly to 2009.  Plu ça change,...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:43:47 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »

What other piece of musical theatre (besides Illya Darling) has a song entitile "Po Po Po"?

I warn you, I have only my memory to rely on and have not found any documentation on this.

Well, there was that production of OKLAHOMA where Mel Tillis played Curley and sang "Pore Jud Is Daid".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »

Well, there was that production of OKLAHOMA where Mel Tillis played Curley and sang "Pore Jud Is Daid".

Close, but no seegar.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »

Actually... not close at all.  And I have found a snip of audio recording on the Internet.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:08 AM »

I've been up since eight, answering a LOT of e-mails, including one fairly annoying one - I've responded and that's that. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »

Have to be on the road jogging in about thirty minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2009, 08:57:12 AM »

Jose, I think Terry had worked with Tom and Joe before on It's About Time - but I can't swear to it as that CD is in a big Varese box in storage.  But them as a trio was created for our CDs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »

Shayne, I don't have TV's Greatest Hits in front of me, but those track listing screw-ups are major and I can't imagine how they happened - I'm sure I was in the midst of a million things back then, but I usually proofed everything, but had I those kinds of multiple mistakes, especially The Magnificent Seven, could not have happened.  I do know we made some last-minute changes in the order, but as to the others - who knows?

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2009, 08:59:35 AM »

Oh, by the way, did anyone notice that A Storm Is Coming ?  I am a California doctor, and I will have to choose between my faith and... the hipocratic oath?  Anyway:

After looking at all the parodies, I think Steven Colbert had the best one last night.
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:27 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - I believe I will be making a day trip to Columbia, SC next week.  -Any suggestions for good eats?

I've been to Columbia only via the airport.  Couldn't recommend an eatery at this moment.  I'll ask a cousin, though, and see what he recommends.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »

I used to shop at Border Brothers when it was a hole-in-the-wall used bookstore on State Street in Ann Arbor.

By the time I had my first experience it was a wonderful, old quality, multi storied bookstore.  All the staff were well read, intelligent, & mostly college students.  I thought it was the most wonderful bookstore I had ever been in. 

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »

I went to bed at 10 last night.

I got out of bed at 7:10 this morning.

I can barely hold my eyes open.

Sigh.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2009, 09:19:14 AM »

I don't Know the show but Ethel Merman sang a song called PO-PO-POCAHONTAS

Jane

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009, 09:24:56 AM »

I just finished going over the list of "bubble" shows and shows closest (if not already gone) to cancellation.

Among the big shocks: CASTLE is listed as "on the bubble." I thought it was one of the biggest hits ABC has had in quite a while. I would be SHOCKED to see it not renewed.

MEDIUM, CHUCK, COLD CASE are all listed as "bubble" shows. COLD CASE still pulls in healthy ratings, but the music rights to the old tunes it uses cost a fortune, and since CBS doesn't want to pay additional fees, they can't make money back on DVDs since they don't release the show on DVD.

I'm sure DR Jane will be unhappy to notice that WORST WEEK is in the "Dead or Nearly Dead" column.

Here's the link to the whole list:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-04-15-sos-network-chart_N.htm

Thank you for the link, I just voted. 

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28:03 AM »

ORR WAS IT NANETTE FABREY?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:39:26 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2009, 09:28:17 AM »

Quote from BK's notes:
then do my banking and shipping and deal with casting matters for the Brain

When and where are you doing BRAIN?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2009, 09:33:32 AM »

Oh, by the way, did anyone notice that A Storm Is Coming ?  I am a California doctor, and I will have to choose between my faith and... the hipocratic oath?  Anyway:

After looking at all the parodies, I think Steven Colbert had the best one last night.

This was good.:)

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

Thanks for the news on vixmom!

Congrats to DR Jose.

Thanks DR Matt for posting that link.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »

Of the shows on the bubble the one i care about the most is MEDIUM. Then PRIVILEGED. Then CHUCK. And the only one in the almost dead category i care about is LIFE. (not including the ABC shows that were cancelled many months ago).

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »

ORR WAS IT NANETTE FABREY?

Much more esoteric than that.  Extreeemely esoteric.

Hint:  Cuba is involved.
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2009, 10:09:07 AM »

I missed LIFE.  I would like to see it return for another season with Dani back on board.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »

Moving right along with the Alphabetical Musicals Project:

Dear World.  Back to the D's.  Just like Jerry Herman, I was in a production of The Madwoman of Chaillot in college--in graduate school, actually.  Madison WI in the sixties was a constant festival of film societies and off-campus theatre groups, literally dozens of them.  I tried out for the Rag-Picker, I think it was, and got Third Prospector.  I got to belch.

Our Madwoman was Pauline Walsh and was incredible.  Most audiences thought she was an old lady, but she was an undergraduate.  The other Madwomen, whose names I forget, were also excellent and both were pursuing professional acting carreers.

But I grew to love the play through the rehearsals in a very fine production, whose program I should dig out some day to find out what became of some of those involved. 

Well, I am indeed a die-hard Sondheim fan, but I do loves me my Jerry Herman, and lots of this score is quite charming. 

Which leads me back to a couple of TODs that I missed:

First, DerBrucer:  No, you are not the only whore in the bordello claiming to be a virgin.

And on a related note... I have not had an alcoholic drink for lo these 23 years, and whatever embarrassing things I might have done whilst in my cups, I do not necessarily wish to share in a public forum.

Except.

After La Cage aux Folles had opened on Broadway, I penned a French translation of "The Best of Times", which I really thought was quite good despite my lack of fluency in the language.

But I went further and concocted the notion that I might translate the entire show, as task for which I was quite unqualified.  Nonetheless, I telephoned a friend, after several drinks of course, who knew Jerry Herman, got Jerry's home number (back when he still lived in Greenwich Village) and proceeded to pitch it to him.

Well, Jerry was quite nice, listened to my ramblings, showed some interest, as he said he had been disappointed in the French version of Dolly, and in the end gave me his home address and asked me to send some of my work off to him, something that I never did.

If you are reading this, Jerry, I'm sorry I never sent you at least "The Best of Times", and thank you for being such a gentleman.
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »

*And as for the final line of that review, well... There's a good reason the orchestra was/is "flawless". ;D

Congratulations, Jose!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »

Bruce, I'm very glad to hear about the next release but I thought you had decided not to do that one. I will be happy to order it when it's announced!

I'm listening to Donald, in case you didn't know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up