Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DEFINITION  (Read 14484 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HIGH DEFINITION
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:32:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were high and had definition, and now it is time for you to post until the hi-def cows come home - they're currently watching a Moo-Ray disc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: HIGH DEFINITION
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: TERATOID!

DAW

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »

TERATOID!

Tera was not toid.

She was second.

:)

Ben

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »

Morning all.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 04:06:12 AM »

TOD

The 20's
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »

BK

Re: The blurring

I believe it is an anomaly with LCD, LED & Plasma TVs. Plasma is the best with blur reductions, but on fast moving images such as car chase, horse racing there is a blur effect.

I found this online that explains the situation

One of the biggest challenges for LCD TV manufacturers has been speeding up the pixel response time, which is how fast an individual pixel's color can change without blurring, to ensure that fast-moving objects don't exhibit motion lag or ghosting. Increasing pixel response time is especially critical for larger-screen LCD's where much of the viewing will be DVD movies and/or HDTV.

You might have needed to get a LCD from what I am reading so far.

Some solutions

There may be a function on your TV or Blu-Ray player that is called Blur reduction. This might help. Also Try increasing to 100hz/120hz if your set has it

Here is an article talking about LCD HD-TV offers motion blur removal and film de-judder

http://eetimes.eu/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800809

It is a lot of techno bable, but essentials it is a computer module that HD are starting to put into there tvs

a highlight that may really help

The best method of overcoming the motion blur effect of LCD TVs is to double the image rate (from 50/60fps to 100/120fps).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:07:51 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:40 AM »

here is an article from Home Theater Magazine about Motion Blur it is the best explaination that I have seen so far. It has diagrams that explain what actually happens

http://hometheatermag.com/gearworks/707gear/

selected quotes from the article

let's look at what causes motion blur, why it may or may not be a big deal, and how a 120-Hz refresh rate can help solve the problem for LCDs.

The above article was written in 2007, but it seems things haven't changed much

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:08:11 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:05:36 AM »

For those that bought ANYA and wanted to know who sings what here is a listing

I have taken this from the back of my LP of Anya. The song listing are in the exact order as they are appear on the cd.

I have included who sings what and the source material from Rachmaninoff for each song

1) Choral Prelude/A Song From Somewhere
Chorus/Constance Towers

Piano Concerto #1, OP 1; Etudes Tableaux, Op 33, #2/Trio Elegiaque Op 9; Symphint #2 Op. 27; Melodie Op/ 3 No #5

2) Vodka! Vodka!
Irra Petina & Boris Aplon & Chorus

Polka Italienne

3) So Proud
Michael Kermoyan & George S. Irving, Ed Steffe, Boris Aplon

Symphony #1 op 13; Piano Concerto no #3 Op 30

4) Homeward
Irra Petina & Chorus

Prelude Op 23, #5

5) Snowflakes & Sweethearts
Barbara Alexander & Constance Towers, Michael Quinn & Chorus

Polka On a Theme de W.R. (Rachmanioff's Father) Valse Suite For 2 pianos. Op 17 No2; Thous My Beloved Field Op. 4 #5

6) Six Palaces
Constance Towers & Michael Kermoyan, George S. Irving, Boris Aplon

From Etudes Tableaux Op. 33 #7, Varcolle Suite For 2 Pianos; Op.5 #1; Potichinelle Op 3 #4; Mazurka Op 10 # 7

7) Hand in Hand
Constance Towers & John Michael King

Romance Suite for 2 Pianos. Op 17 #3

8 ) On That Day
George S. Irving & Ed Steffe, Boris Aplon, Irra Petina

String Quartet in G Minor: "A Dream", Op. 38 #51

9) This Is My kind Of Love
Constance Towers & Michael Kermoyan

Piano Concerto No. 2 Op. 18

10) Reprise: On That Day
John Michael King & Chorus

String Quartet in G Minor "A Dream" Op. 38 #5

11) That Prelude!
Michael Kermoyan & Irra Petina, Ed Steffe, Boris Aplon & George S Irving & Chorus

Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 3 #2

12) A Quiet Land
Constance Towers

Symphony #2 Op. 27

13) Here Tonight, Tomorrow Where?
George S. Irving & Ed Steffe, Boris Aplon

Danse Hongroise Op. 6, #2; "So Many Hours" Op. 4, #6

14) Leben Sie Wohl
Irra Petina & Male Ensemble (Policemen)

Prelude Op 23, #5, Polichinelle Op. 3 #6

15) If This is Goodbye
Constance Towers & Michael Kermoyan

Pano Concerto #2, Op. 18

16) Little Hands
Lillian Gish & Constance Towers

Vocalise Op. 34 #14

17) All Hail The Empress/Choral Finale: Anya
Chorus

Symphonie #1 Op. 13/Etudes Tableaux Op. 33 #2
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 05:08:29 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:51:23 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  After an evening of heavy thunderstorms, it's a gloriously sunny day here in SE Wisconsin.  I'm very glad for that, because it's Nashotah House commencement day and those graduates would get very wet waiting to ring the campus bell - a graduation tradition.  One of Richard's classmates is graduating today and one of his fellow graduates is here for the festivities.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:53 AM »

And the word of the day is: TERATOID!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:07:26 AM »

TOD:

Male:  I always liked the late 70's/early 80's natural look:  earth colors and natural fabrics.  Think:  Gary Sandy in WKRP, Robert Redford/Sundance, northern Arizona...

Female:  The 60's--mod, British, Twiggy, mini skirts, hot colors, go go boots, THAT GIRL!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:17:45 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:13 AM »

Samsung is supposed to to have the least blurring of any LCD. 

Frankly, I haven't watched any Blu-Ray titles on my new set yet, but my regular DVDs look spectacular.

With the older titles, I don't want to lose the grain that helps make a film a film.  I'm told that the Blu-Ray version of PATTON is virtually without grain and looks terrible.
You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:09:44 AM »

DR Ginny, do you know about the librarians Twitter Twibe on Twibes.com?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 06:29:37 AM »

Thanks for the track info, DR MS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 06:30:44 AM »

TOD - the late 1950's - think Doris Day and Rock Hudson in PILLOW TALK.....going into the early 1960's...think MAD MEN.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 06:31:09 AM »

MR BK now that you are in high def, would you like to lunch with Adam sometime between now and May 23?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:51 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm heading down to Toyland to accomplish some things on Life Begins At 8:40. Once back here, I return to the Napa Valley for another round of jealousy, lies, budding love, and pregnancy.

I believe we are getting today the storms that DR Ginny just went through.

TOD: No matter what period of fashion, I have the ability to look as if I've just emerged from my coal barge.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »

Even the "casual" clothes were flattering and "dressy"...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »

Good Morning! Good Evening!

I'm up, I'm up... Yadda-yadda-yadda...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 07:04:47 AM »

DRs MBarnum and JRand - I went to three video stores in Market! Market! earlier tonight/today, and none of them had any sort of sizable collection of Filipino movies.  I'd say about 95% of the titles they had in stock were American movies.  We're going to a "Super Mall" tomorrow afternoon, and there's supposed to be a more traditional store.  Maybe I'll find some things there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 07:09:42 AM »

As for today's trip to Villa Escudero...

The "worst" part of the day was getting there and getting back.  The traffic here in Manila is some of the worst I've ever experienced - and I was just a passenger.  Additionally, the whole traffic control system here is basically non-existent.  Stop lights are a rarity. You basically drive with your hand on your horn, "beep-beep" when you want to change lanes and/or warn the driver next to you that you're about to run into him.  And as for the lane markings on the road, they might as well not be there at all.  In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »

DR JOSE I am using your CITY SCAPE photo from yesterday as my Screen Saver....it is very nice.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:34 AM »

Yes, there MUST be a DARNA somewhere!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 07:33:47 AM »

Samsung is supposed to to have the least blurring of any LCD. 

Frankly, I haven't watched any Blu-Ray titles on my new set yet, but my regular DVDs look spectacular.

With the older titles, I don't want to lose the grain that helps make a film a film.  I'm told that the Blu-Ray version of PATTON is virtually without grain and looks terrible.

PATTON, THE LONGEST DAY, and (especially) GANGS OF NEW YORK are the biggest culporits of this DNR overenhancement on Blu-ray.

The STAR TREK 3 and 4 that I just finished reviewing also have it but to a lesser degree than GANGS OF THE NEW YORK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 07:34:54 AM »

Good morning!

Cool and cloudy today, but I'm not sure if rain is in the forecast or not. I haven't read the morning paper yet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 07:35:42 AM »

Once we arrived at Villa Escudero, we all enjoyed a nice, leisurely paced day taking in Filipino culture.  I'd have to say that Villa Escudero is sort of like Colonial Williamsburg with a bit of the Hearst Castle thrown in.  The Escudero family owns and runs the Villa, and the museum is basically a showcase for all their various collections - everything from collectable spoons to taxidermy to historical clothes and uniforms to religious artifacts.  Truly eclectic.

We did dine by the waterfall with our feet in the water.  It was yet another Filipino food buffet, and even though it was well-prepared, I just didn't have that much of an appetite for yet another round of "traditional dishes".  -Thankfully, there was no balut on the table. ;)

After lunch, we all took a break until the "cultural presentation".  There was a leisure hall where one could play darts, billiards, pool or participate in some "videoke".  Needless to say, my father could not resist picking up the microphone again, and he managed to keep himself occupied for the hour we had to wait.  I just walked around for a bit taking pictures and checking out the rest of the grounds: the swimming pool, the "cultural statuary", the dock area right above the falls.

The "Cultural Presentation" was pretty good, and, surprisingly not tacky.  Well, not that tacky.  The announcer spoke in a combination of game show host, car salesman and National Geographic narrator.  They basically went through the history of the Philippines through its music and dances.  When we lived in Seattle, I played bandurion - a crazily-stringed mandolin - in "Bayanihan", which functions as a sort of a Filipino cultural ambassador.  So, a lot of the songs and dances that were presented today were somewhat familiar to me, and I was surprised at how many of the tunes I recognized.  I was especially glad to see the dances where the men and women balance candles or glasses of water/wine on their head and other parts of their body; and the tinikling always excites me.  The dancers dance in, around and between a set of bamboo poles that are knocked and banged together by two additional performers.  Toes can and have been lost doing the tinikling!  However, even though I know it's a part of Filipino culture, I wasn't exactly sure how to take the "rendition" of cock-fighting that used two real live cocks, roosters.

...And then came the long ride home.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 07:38:53 AM »

DR JOSE I am using your CITY SCAPE photo from yesterday as my Screen Saver....it is very nice.

Awww... You're very welcome, and Thank You.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 07:39:23 AM »

Yes, there MUST be a DARNA somewhere!

Do you want the classic Darna? or the new-fangled - circa 2005 - Darna?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 07:43:44 AM »

BK:

Here's what you wrote last night:

The Professionals looks absolutely incredible - there does seem to be a bit of blurring on really fast motion shots, sort of a digital thing - the TV comes with a standard setting for the 120hz function - I tried the "smooth" setting, but it didn't seem any different, but maybe I'll test that out with this disc and see if it makes any difference.

I had no idea you were asking for advice or help or I would have offered some.

LCDs are the most subject to motion blur, more than plasmas and certainly more than the rear projection set you've been using for the past six years.

If your TV is reading 1080p @ 24 hz and your Blu-ray player is set up to display Blu-ray in that mode, that is the best mode Blu-ray offers. It matches film projection at 24 fps so it should give the images (if properly transferred) the most film-like appearance. Changing it to 60 hz means your player and TV will be doing interpolations (called 3:2 pulldown) to take 24fps images and display them at 30 hz (or 60 since they're doubled). Theoretically, this shouldn't be as good as 24 hz, but you certainly should try both 24 hz and 60 hz to see if you see any difference or which one you like best. (This is changed in the set-up menu of the Blu-ray player. Simply turn off the 24 hz control from the setup menu.)

Every single review I have read of ANY LCD that has that "smooth motion" feature that increases the scanning to 120 hz has cautioned users to turn it OFF. Every reviewer feels it gives an artificial look to the image making film appear more like video shot on tape (like a live action sports event rather than film).

I believe the blurring is something that is endemic to LCD sets. It has nothing to do with the HDMI cable or the Blu-ray player. It is purely the LCD technology.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:47:33 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »

I suppose I'll start on that GUNSMOKE series set today unless TAKEN or some other Fox BD arrives. If I get everything to review I'm supposed to be getting, I'm going to have a huge backlog if I don't stay busy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up