Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH DEFINITION  (Read 14515 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: HIGH DEFINITION
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »

PAGE

F
O
U
R
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »

Wow!  I say that I am all alone; and suddenly Jane and George appear!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

Well, I can't give high marks to Samsung's customer service - I went up to second tier support to no avail, and now some tech person at the top will be calling back - in twenty-four to forty-eight hours - not what I expect and/or want.  But, we did discover the problem with the Blu-Ray player reading out 24hz rather than 60 - it's broken.  The only way it could be reading out 24hz is if I had selected the option in the menu for 24fps - that setting is OFF (factory preset), therefore the machine should be reading out 60hz automatically.  So, I'm about to take that back to Fry's.  As to the weird motion blur stuff, which isn't really like what I'm reading about online, I'll discuss that with Fry's, too, and perhaps just ask them to swap out the TV with another, to see if that makes any difference.  If not, perhaps I'll just get the LCD model (55-inch) - it's cheaper and I presume they'll give me a credit of some sort.

Ben

« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »

This just in:

Neil Patrick Harris

will host the Tony Awards on June 7th.

Here is the Playbill Link

NPH

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

Amazon.com's 10 a.m. Deal of the Day is "Tastybaby Starter Case, 10.5-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) " -- and I just have to wonder if they used real baby.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »

I've been packing my own lunch this week.  Each day I have a mixed greens salad supplemented with three hardboiled eggs, four or five stalks of grilled asparagus and a cup of chipotle chicken strips. 

It has tasted great each day.  Today moreso than the previous three for some reason.

But, Oh! My!  Doesn't asparagus have an after-effect!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2009, 01:22:43 PM »

BK-

The best place to go for advice on your problem and with good starter settings is the AVS Forum. (avsforum.com)

Once there, enter the make and model number of your TV in the search engine, and it will take you to the user forum for your particular model. There people suggest the best settings to put the TV in to get the best picture, troubleshoot, etc. (I have a Samsung but not your model and my settings would not work for you.)

You don't even have to join the forum to read all the posts. If you want to ask questions about your particular problem or to ask questions about anything TV-related, there will be someone there with answers. I've never been there that I couldn't get help or really GOOD information about any equipment I've owned.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »

I had a nice lunch with friends where we talked mainlly about '24' and AMERICAN IDOL. A couple of the guys hadn't had time to watch LOST yet, so out of respect for them, we withheld discussion of the show so we wouldn't ruin surprises for them.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »

When I got in, I immediately began watching GUNSMOKE episodes. I got five watched. None of these first five were great examples of drama, but there is something comforting about watching the show. These old half hour episodes move swiftly, get the stories told with a minimum of filler.

Matt H.

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »

Among the guest stars in the shows I watched this afternoon: Corey Allen, Jack Weston, Werner Klemperer, Phyllis Coates (she had very light hair; I knew the voice but I couldn't place her until the credits), Murray Hamilton, Claude Akins, Patricia Barry, and Harry Dean Stanton.

Matt H.

« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »

I also zipped through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. Nothing of interest but Damien was in the previews so the boys may be on tomorrow, I guess.

Ginny

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »

We are back from St. Jerome Catholic Church in Oconomowoc, WI, where we witnessed the awarding of 3 Certificates in Anglican Studies, 1 Master of Arts in Ministry, 4 Masters of Theological Studies, 16 Masters of Divinity, and 3 honorary Doctors of Divinity.  The music was glorious, especially the following selections played by Stained Glass Brass, under the direction of Donald Sipe:

Rhosymedre by R. Vaughan Williams
Contrapunctus No. 9 by J. S. Bach
Adoramus te by Orlando di Lasso
Paduona by Johann Shein
Fanfare for St Edmundsbury by Benjamin Britten

Processional - Moorside Suite: March by Gustav Holst

Voluntary - "Aria" from Xerses by G. F. Handel

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:40:03 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »

Well, I can't give high marks to Samsung's customer service - I went up to second tier support to no avail, and now some tech person at the top will be calling back - in twenty-four to forty-eight hours - not what I expect and/or want.  But, we did discover the problem with the Blu-Ray player reading out 24hz rather than 60 - it's broken.  The only way it could be reading out 24hz is if I had selected the option in the menu for 24fps - that setting is OFF (factory preset), therefore the machine should be reading out 60hz automatically.  So, I'm about to take that back to Fry's.  As to the weird motion blur stuff, which isn't really like what I'm reading about online, I'll discuss that with Fry's, too, and perhaps just ask them to swap out the TV with another, to see if that makes any difference.  If not, perhaps I'll just get the LCD model (55-inch) - it's cheaper and I presume they'll give me a credit of some sort.

I got a 52" Samsung LCD, which is supposed to be the best re: blur control.  Did a lot of research before I chose that model.  As I recall, it cost about $2300.00.

Also got the Samsung Home Theatre (surround sound/Blu-ray player) package...and had the dealer install it.
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

Well, I need to head downstairs now and find my way back to Dodge City and maybe even drop by Miss Kitty's Long Branch Saloon.

WBBL.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »

DR George, brand new good home wishes for your sister.

Thanks!  The loan is supposed to close on May 29th, but there shouldn't be any problem. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

See the trailer for the movie version of Nine HERE.    :D

Thanks for posting this!  But I can't watch it until I get home...no Quicktime at work. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

House of Flowers also arrived today.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:17 PM »

BK, when I was looking to upgrade to an LCD or Plasma TV one of the things that was very important to me was a TV that had minimal, if any, of that motion blurring.

The clerk who helped me steared me towards the Toshiba LCD which I now have, and I have not experienced any blurring.

One of the selling points for that particular model at the store was the fact that it had little to no blurring when the camera would pan. And they had set up a little display to show the difference.

I've got a Panasonic plasma TV.  Haven't seen any blurring at all.  

I have a Panasonic plasma TV and I've noticed some in "Battlestar Galactica" and "Psych." :-\

But it hasn't really bothered me...yet.

George

« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:28 PM »

Opening night, so lots of last minute things to do, so no time to play. Press night went well on Monday night, so we're hoping for a strong start out of the gate (with no fade on the final turn) --  a Preakness metaphor ...

~~~Opening Night Leg Breakage Vibes for Miss Karen and Cast!!~~~

George

« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »

I am now all caught up with today's posts. :)

George

« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »

TCB...just to let you know, I haven't heard back from Josh, yet. :-\

Michael

« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

I have a question about The House of Flowers recording.

One of the musical numbers added to the show was not recorded or was and left off the LP. It is called Walk To De Grave.

Was it an actual song or a dance or underscore and why was it left out?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:06 PM »

Well, I need to head downstairs now and find my way back to Dodge City and maybe even drop by Miss Kitty's Long Branch Saloon.

WBBL.

Have a glass of sarsaparilla on me!

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »

Just stopped in to catch up on posts while waiting to go to a "Studio Art Tasting"   I have no intention of tasting the studio art, but I will participate in tasting one glass of the wine available at the art studio.  It's a new kind of fundraiser for the art center where people actually go to artist's studios rather than the center to taste wine.  I can do that.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »

And since it starts in about 15 minutes and I want to be there at the beginning so I can be home and nestled in my recliner for the Grey's Anatomy season finale, I better go.

Laters.  Vibes to anyone who needs them

George

« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

And since it starts in about 15 minutes and I want to be there at the beginning so I can be home and nestled in my recliner for the Grey's Anatomy season finale, I better go.

I haven't watched last week's "Ugly Betty" nor "Grey's Anatomy," yet.  I think I'd better watch them before tonight's episodes.

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: May 14, 2009, 04:35:55 PM »

See the trailer for the movie version of Nine HERE.    :D

Thanks for posting this!  But I can't watch it until I get home...no Quicktime at work. :P

I just tried to watch it, but the wireless here at the hotel is kind of wonky.  Guess I'll have to wait until we get home on Sunday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »

But, Oh! My!  Doesn't asparagus have an after-effect!

LOL-only for some people.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »

Thanks!  The loan is supposed to close on May 29th, but there shouldn't be any problem. ;D

Did she sell her current home?

Closing vibes for your sister!

George

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2009, 04:42:47 PM »

Did she sell her current home?

Closing vibes for your sister!

Thanks, again!  Nope, she wants to keep her current house (it's only three or four years old) and rent it.  I don't think that she'll have any trouble finding renters.  My parents have a second house that was supposed to be their retirement home (after they both retired), but my dad doesn't want to move, so they're renting it. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up