Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROUSING NOTES  (Read 45824 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: THE ROUSING NOTES
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »

I have about $10 to last me until next Wednesday or Thursday.

You might have a best seller on your hands:

"Surviving on $2 a day - the Library of Congress diet"

der Brucer

A Food Network Show - "NYC on $2/day" seems a stretch

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Kerry

« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »

Feel good vibes for ALL!!!
I like boat races.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 12:03:04 PM »

LATIMES

The lost art of reading

The relentless cacophony that is life in the 21st century can make settling in with a book difficult even for lifelong readers and those who are paid to do it.
By David L. Ulin
August 9, 2009

Sometime late last year -- I don't remember when, exactly -- I noticed I was having trouble sitting down to read. That's a problem if you do what I do, but it's an even bigger problem if you're the kind of person I am. Since I discovered reading, I've always been surrounded by stacks of books. I read my way through camp, school, nights, weekends; when my girlfriend and I backpacked through Europe after college graduation, I had to buy a suitcase to accommodate the books I picked up along the way.

(B)ooks enlarge us by giving direct access to experiences not our own. In order for this to work, however, we need a certain type of silence, an ability to filter out the noise. Such a state is increasingly elusive in our over-networked culture, in which every rumor and mundanity is blogged and tweeted. Today, it seems it is not contemplation we seek but an odd sort of distraction masquerading as being in the know. Why? Because of the illusion that illumination is based on speed, that it is more important to react than to think, that we live in a culture in which something is attached to every bit of time.

Here we have my reading problem in a nutshell, for books insist we take the opposite position, that we immerse, slow down

These days, however, after spending hours reading e-mails and fielding phone calls in the office, tracking stories across countless websites, I find it difficult to quiet down. I pick up a book and read a paragraph; then my mind wanders and I check my e-mail, drift onto the Internet, pace the house before returning to the page. Or I want to do these things but don't. I force myself to remain still, to follow whatever I'm reading until the inevitable moment I give myself over to the flow. Eventually I get there, but some nights it takes 20 pages to settle down. What I'm struggling with is the encroachment of the buzz, the sense that there is something out there that merits my attention, when in fact it's mostly just a series of disconnected riffs and fragments that add up to the anxiety of the age

When I was a kid, maybe 12 or 13, my grandmother used to get mad at me for attending family functions with a book. Back then, if I'd had the language for it, I might have argued that the world within the pages was more compelling than the world without; I was reading both to escape and to be engaged. All these years later, I find myself in a not-dissimilar position, in which reading has become an act of meditation, with all of meditation's attendant difficulty and grace. I sit down. I try to make a place for silence. It's harder than it used to be, but still, I read

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »

.. Gabe did great with his Torah portion and haftorah, and his D'var Torah is fantastic (including a very funny jab at Fox News, I might add).

Hmmm...should I open a separate dossier on Gabe or just notate his activities in the Kauffman family folder?

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »

DR JMK I did just notice that the Sandra Dee biography is on the BIOGRAPHY CHANNEL today and I think she was part of Hollywood Heartbreak week when Frances was first on, so she may have been on yesterday....with you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

And my name in the credits.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »

.. Gabe did great with his Torah portion and haftorah, and his D'var Torah is fantastic (including a very funny jab at Fox News, I might add).

Hmmm...should I open a separate dossier on Gabe or just notate his activities in the Kauffman family folder?

der Brucer

There can't possibly be enough room left in the main family folder by this time.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »

DR JMK I did just notice that the Sandra Dee biography is on the BIOGRAPHY CHANNEL today and I think she was part of Hollywood Heartbreak week when Frances was first on, so she may have been on yesterday....with you.

Costarring with Jessica Lange.  What a bitch.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

(Me, not Jessica).  ;)

JMK

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »

For someone who cares not one whit about football, I am loving the BD of HARVARD BEATS YALE 29-29.  What a great story.

JMK

« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 12:11:13 PM »

It's funny to see how the different Yale players reacted to Doonesbury--some of them loved it, some are still taking umbrage.

DAW

« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »

(We're waiting, DAW)

Sorry to be so predictable.

On the other hand, you can set your watch by me!      :)

JMK

« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »

(We're waiting, DAW)

Sorry to be so predictable.

That was sweet of you to move your post, DAW.  Lord knows we need to have all of my posts together so that people can skip over them more easily.  :)

DAW

« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

That was sweet of you to move your post, DAW. 

Euphemism??        ;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

No need, I can do it with my watch on.

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2009, 12:53:31 PM »

LATIMES

The lost art of reading

The relentless cacophony that is life in the 21st century can make settling in with a book difficult even for lifelong readers and those who are paid to do it.
By David L. Ulin
August 9, 2009

Sometime late last year -- I don't remember when, exactly -- I noticed I was having trouble sitting down to read. That's a problem if you do what I do, but it's an even bigger problem if you're the kind of person I am. Since I discovered reading, I've always been surrounded by stacks of books. I read my way through camp, school, nights, weekends; when my girlfriend and I backpacked through Europe after college graduation, I had to buy a suitcase to accommodate the books I picked up along the way.

(B)ooks enlarge us by giving direct access to experiences not our own. In order for this to work, however, we need a certain type of silence, an ability to filter out the noise. Such a state is increasingly elusive in our over-networked culture, in which every rumor and mundanity is blogged and tweeted. Today, it seems it is not contemplation we seek but an odd sort of distraction masquerading as being in the know. Why? Because of the illusion that illumination is based on speed, that it is more important to react than to think, that we live in a culture in which something is attached to every bit of time.

Here we have my reading problem in a nutshell, for books insist we take the opposite position, that we immerse, slow down

These days, however, after spending hours reading e-mails and fielding phone calls in the office, tracking stories across countless websites, I find it difficult to quiet down. I pick up a book and read a paragraph; then my mind wanders and I check my e-mail, drift onto the Internet, pace the house before returning to the page. Or I want to do these things but don't. I force myself to remain still, to follow whatever I'm reading until the inevitable moment I give myself over to the flow. Eventually I get there, but some nights it takes 20 pages to settle down. What I'm struggling with is the encroachment of the buzz, the sense that there is something out there that merits my attention, when in fact it's mostly just a series of disconnected riffs and fragments that add up to the anxiety of the age

When I was a kid, maybe 12 or 13, my grandmother used to get mad at me for attending family functions with a book. Back then, if I'd had the language for it, I might have argued that the world within the pages was more compelling than the world without; I was reading both to escape and to be engaged. All these years later, I find myself in a not-dissimilar position, in which reading has become an act of meditation, with all of meditation's attendant difficulty and grace. I sit down. I try to make a place for silence. It's harder than it used to be, but still, I read

der Brucer

I think the guy just needs to read a more interesting book.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »

That was sweet of you to move your post, DAW. 

Euphemism??        ;)

For....what?  Self-adjustment?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »

Yes, we get your drift, bk. Franco Zefferrelli was gay and preferred showing men's bodies to women's. I'm not defending the practice, and certainly am not defending the wretched film that is ENDLESS LOVE, but you have to admit there are plenty of heterosexual directors who are like-minded in terms of showing female flesh and keeping the males in their movies covered.

That's how many of us gay guys feel when we're subjected to ENDLESS exploitive shots of the female anatomy in movies with no male anatomies in evidence.

And even in just showing skin...I mean there are so many examples of women wearing almost nothing and the men are fully clothed!  That's just not right! >:(

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »

Lost and Found Dog Saves Life of Boy with Down Syndrome

Warning to Jose - this is a two hankie read.

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »

Since I got back from lunch so early, I was able to first watch last night's RESCUE ME. An OK episode but also a lot of place filling for next week's explosive episode.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »

Then I watched today's work project: THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO. Great atmosphere capturing that time and place and some good humor, but I couldn't stand most of the characters. Most were boorish idiots posing as intellectuals - very phony. So a mixed verdict from me.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2009, 01:21:38 PM »

And other than the commentary, most of the bonus features were pretty superficial compared to the usual Criterion gems. Of course, this is an American made studio picture (Universal), so the EPK and trailers were all the PR division's doing and reproduced by Criterion.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »

I then watched today's Y&R. Philip and Chance were both on, though the scenes were kind of tame.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2009, 01:23:48 PM »

Nothing of interest today on AS THE WORLD TURNS, but Holden, Lily, and Damien were in the previews, so that may mean Luke will be there, too, tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:17 PM »

More of David Vickers on ONE LIFE TO LIVE, but nothing else of interest there.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »

Also, I had to laugh a little as one of the main actors in LAST DAYS OF DISCO was the man who played the insane human hunter on that episode of DOLLHOUSE that I watched last night.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2009, 01:29:56 PM »

And even in just showing skin...I mean there are so many examples of women wearing almost nothing and the men are fully clothed!  That's just not right! >:(

;)

I can do without seeing Belushi or Candy in the all-together.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »

Lost and Found Dog Saves Life of Boy with Down Syndrome

Warning to Jose - this is a two hankie read.

der Brucer

Yessir.  That's a doozy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

Laws, yes!         :)

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2009, 01:51:11 PM »

I'm hopping off-line now to get some writing done.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up