Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FROLICSOME IMP  (Read 33941 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE FROLICSOME IMP
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2004, 01:46:04 PM »

Dear wonderful TCB.  I'm so sorry to hear of your current situation.  It seems like everywhere I turn I see people being thrown into financial turmoil these days.  Please, if there's anything I can do, let me know.  

Stand by for vibes...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~*$~[/size][/glow][/move][/color]

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

TCB,

How could I not pass on the best of vibes? Through wonderful posts and kind thoughts, you've sent a sackful in my direction. And remember, as others have said, TTSPAKOP (this too shall pass and keep on posting).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2004, 01:52:39 PM »

Oh, Lulu....let me add my two cents:

"Foreign Correspondent" is VERY MUCH WORTH your time and any efforts you take to get a copy.

Has some quintessential Hitchcock set pieces (umbrellas, windmills) and a rather fun plot about international intrigue/assassination/impersonation, etc.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2004, 01:54:49 PM »

Just now got to your note, TCB, and am sorry beyond measure for your problems. Keep positive thoughts and I'm sure everyone here will do the same.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2004, 01:59:36 PM »

First off, Happy Natal ANNiversary to DR Ann.  

Second off, Good Financial Vibes to DR TCB.  I've been there, too. But like a bad haircut, eventually money grows back.  

Third off, I've done Jury Duty exactly once, and it was damned close to traumatic for the entire jury.  It was a case involving spousal and child abuse, and listening to the testimony for three days was horrifying and heartbreaking.  The defendant was extremely guilty, showed utterly no remorse, and claimed Biblical sanction for all his horrific behavior.  He got locked up, and for a long time, too.  But, as far as I'm concerned, a life sentance without hope of parole wouldn't be long enough.  

Fourth off, a Bullshit! question.  Penn Gillette uses some, shall we say, extremely coarse language in the show.  Is this something he interjects into the scripts, or is this language provided for him by the writers?  

Fifth off, another Bullshit! question.  Penn and Teller are very skeptical; is this attitude shared by the writing staff?  (I'm a dyed-in-the-wool skeptic myself, by the way, and I'm pretty much sympatico with P&T's attitudes, if not their coarseness.  Though, in all honesty, I think bogus "psychics" like John Edwards and James van Pragh are just about the lowest form of life on the planet.)

Sixth off, a Penn and Teller story.  P&T used to play the Renaissance Fair circuit with an comic duo called Puke and Snot.  (Yes, that's right, Puke and Snot.  They've been doing essentially the exact same act for over twenty-five years.)  I remember seeing them frequently during their early years, and was quite taken with them.  These days, if you go to the Midwest Renaissance Fairs, Puke and Snot will often close their shows with a little good-natured dig at their former compadres:  "If you liked our show, we're Puke and Snot...if you hated our show, we're Penn and Teller!".  

Seventh off, I think this is just about the longest post I've ever posted on HHW.  It's positively epic in scope.  
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 02:03:11 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2004, 02:08:43 PM »

Robin - do you have a Kritzer question?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2004, 02:20:00 PM »

BK,

Another Kritzer question:

How did you come up with the name "Kritzer"?

Robin

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2004, 02:24:59 PM »

Robin - do you have a Kritzer question?

Eighth off, I'm going to pretend this is a sequel to the epic post I posted above.  

Ninth off, a Kritzer question: are there any incidents or scenes you wanted in the novels, but left out?  What would these scenes have entailed, and why did you feel they needed to be left out?

Tenth off...you've mentioned that Kritzer Time is the last installment of the series.  What ultmately made that decision for you, and is there even a slight chance of seeing a fourth volume?  

Eleventh off...if the Kritzer books were ever filmed, who would you like to direct and/or score the films.  And yes, you are allowed to answer, "Well, duh!  Myself, of course!".  

Twelveth off..how do you like them apples?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2004, 02:25:52 PM »

I've only gone in for jury duty once. (The other time my name was up for duty, I called the night before and my juror number along with about 50 others was excused.) At the time I did go in, I was not picked to even be considered for the jury. I was told that lawyers usually don't like teachers on juries because of their vast experience with the gamut of humankind and are usually not sympathetic to their clients. Don't know if that's true, but that is what someone whispered to me.

Now that I'm retired, I think serving on a jury would be a fascinating experience. Then, I was nervous because getting up substitute plans when one isn't sure how long he's going to be gone was a royal pain.

Oh, I did play Juror #4 in TWELVE ANGRY MEN three years ago. Does that count?  :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 02:29:07 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Robin

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2004, 03:00:37 PM »

Oh, I did play Juror #4 in TWELVE ANGRY MEN three years ago. Does that count?

Only if Judge Judy was in the audience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2004, 03:03:37 PM »

What are we, having a lull?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2004, 03:09:54 PM »

You could say so.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2004, 03:10:51 PM »

Yes, it's the ultimate sacrilege.  I can hear BK screaming NO! now.  But I was asked to edit The Country's in the Very Best of Hands and to add a contemporary verse.   (The performers complained the song is way too long.)  So, brace yourself.

The Country's in the Very Best of Hands
Lyric: Johnny Mercer
Music: Gene DePaul

The country's in the very best of hands
The best of hands, the best of hands

The Treas'ry says the National Debt is climbing to the sky
And Government expenditures have never been so high
It makes a fella get a gleam of pride within his eye
To see how economy expands

You ought to hear the Senate when they're drawing up a bill
Whereas's and to wit's are crowded in each codicil
Such legal terminology would give your heart a thrill
There's phrases there that no one understands

"I cannot tell a lie" is what George Washington once preached
It's like a sacred covenant that never can be breached
So presidents caught lying should be instantly impeached
It's honesty the populace demands

Us voters is connected to the nominee
The nominee's connected to the treasury
When he ain't connected to the treasury
He sits around on his thighbones.
They sits around till they starts to snore
Jumps up and hollers "I has the floor!"
Then sits right down where they sat before
Up there they calls 'em their thigh bones
Dem bones, dem bones gonna rise again
Gonna tax us up to our eyes again
While the Budget doubles in size again
While they sets around on their thighbones

The money that they taxes us is known as Revenues
They compounds the collaterals, subtracts the residues
Don't worry 'bout the principal and int'rest that accrues
They're shipping all that stuff to foreign lands

And Bonne ANNiversaire, Ann!
[/i]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 03:12:53 PM by Noel »
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2004, 03:12:34 PM »

I just ate a nice greasy apple fritter.

Yum!  It was so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o good!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2004, 03:15:46 PM »

Favorite childhood ice cream flavors.  They really haven’t changed, but here goes:
Baskin Robbin’s chocolate, chocolate chip & English toffee.  The best English Toffee was from an ice cream counter located inside the See’s Candy store, next to the Picwood movie theater. I believe it they also had the best peppermint stick ice cream.  Sadly the movie theater & ice cream store are gone.  See’s is now inside of the mall that replaced them.  

Jane

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2004, 03:16:39 PM »

Curries Ice Cream in Palms had the best ice cream cakes.

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2004, 03:16:48 PM »

I have never been called for jury duty.

Robin

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2004, 03:22:24 PM »

I've never liked ice cream.  

Yes, I know.  I'm weird.

Robin

« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2004, 03:25:17 PM »

I'm fixing up a gigantic plate of nachos for din-din tonight.  

And I'm flying solo, since the Significant Other is off at (shudder) choir rehearsal.

What the heck happened?  I'm a crotchety ol' atheist, and the love o' my life is a nice Catholic boy!  

Ain't it all so very odd?

Jane

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »

No lucky.  It is very fattening.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2004, 03:26:49 PM »

Robin-LOL

Jane

« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2004, 03:31:05 PM »

Robin what do you really look like?  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2004, 03:49:46 PM »

Favorite childhood ice cream flavors.  They really haven’t changed, but here goes:
Baskin Robbin’s chocolate, chocolate chip & English toffee.  The best English Toffee was from an ice cream counter located inside the See’s Candy store, next to the Picwood movie theater. I believe it they also had the best peppermint stick ice cream.  Sadly the movie theater & ice cream store are gone.  See’s is now inside of the mall that replaced them.  

When I was doing the Schmidt-Jones muisical "Mirette" at Goodspeed in 1998, there was an ice cream parlor next to my housing, and they had the most wonderful ginger ice cream I've ever tasted:  the base was a custard with a light ginger flavor with small bits of candided ginger tickling your taste buds.  It was close to heaven.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »

How wonderful about the Pulitzer!!

TCB--I'm so very sorry that you have found yourself in this situation, and I hope that you will be able to pull yourself out of it soon.  You are not only one of the funniest people I know, but one of the nicest.  I'm going to miss you. VIBES GALORE!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »

I've been called for Jury Duty a number of times - and I just check where it says "not a citizen" (well - I Am a citizen - just not of the US) - and  I am no longer in the running. That's about the only positive aspect of not having citizenship.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2004, 04:01:45 PM »

Happy, Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Ann!! Much cake to you today!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to TCB. We will miss you, and we know you'll be able to log in at the library and will look forward to your posts.

Jury Duty:
1. Undocumented worker possessed a rock of cocaine. His defense attorney presented ZERO evidence. Kind of a no-brainer. Biggest waste of an entire day.
2. Called for jury duty on THE September 11. Watched in horror as events unfolded with a few hundred other folks in the jury room. Excused without serving.
3. Was the court reporter on a jury trial in a small town once. Dentist shoplifted a glue pen worth about $4. His sentence was to put $100 into his church offering plate.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2004, 04:05:22 PM »

Once again supporting my theory that Hungary is the center of the universe...
 I looked up the Pulitzer Prize. First sentence:
"Named after Hungarian newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer, this..."

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »

First things first:

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY VERY OWN BIRTHDAY, DEAR READER ANN![/move]

[move=DOWN,scroll,6,transparent,100%]dr tcb: ~~~~~~~~~~$~~~~~~~~~$~~~~~~~~~~$[/move]

BK QUESTION:

The ads say Penn and Teller's Bovine Excrement premieres its new season tomorrow night.  Did you work on any of these shows?  Have I been so E&T and Wussbergerish not to have noticed?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2004, 04:13:41 PM »

[size=20]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANN!!!!![/size]
Best of vibes to TCB:
[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 05:05:12 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2004, 04:25:26 PM »

Coffee ice cream, with chocolate syrup on top, yummers!

I've been on jury duty three times.  Well, actually twice, but the first time I was placed on two panels, the first as an alternate and the second as a regular juror.

The first was a shoplifting case, where the defendant claimed the items taken had accidentally fallen into his wheelchair (!!!) and that he had never known about them because he couldn't feel them behind his behind.  There were too many inconsistancies with his story, however.

The second case was a civil case, a woman accidentally getting in the middle of a barroom brawl, and then suing the barroom owners because they had let the brawlers go and she had no one else to sue for her injuries.

Both of these cases took place in Cerritos, CA.  The establishments where the incidents occurred are both gone now.  Karma, I guess.

The third case wasn't so interesting, a guy claiming he hadn't been driving when he was pulled over for drunk driving.  (Yeah, sure, fella, switch seats and blame it on the wife.)  What was "fun" was that I started in the LA County Criminal Courts, then got transferred to the Civil Courts, and finally to the Traffic Courts.  A real demotion each time, I'll tell you!  But during lunch I got to explore downtown Los Angeles, which was worth the hassle.

The only part that was irritating each time was der Brucer's infinite curiosity and desire to discuss the cases while I was empaneled.  He never understood that I didn't want his imput!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up