Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THINKING CAP  (Read 36996 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE THINKING CAP
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2004, 10:46:58 PM »

Well, I made my first appearance ever in traffic court this morning.  Heard some truly bizarre excuses for speeding, I must say.  My end result was that I ... agreed to keep my nose clean for a year.
And a clean nose is a pretty nose.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2004, 10:48:21 PM »

PAGE FIVE DA...

Oh, heck, is there anyone out there dance-watching?

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-\[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: April 09, 2004, 10:57:30 PM »

Long day.  So many folks were off today.  I did a whole bunch of my weekend chores today by getting up an hour early and going way out of my way to pick things up on the way home.

Now I can sleep in, or find projects around the house, or watch TV...or even yak on the phone.

I watched "Cheaper by the Dozen" on DVD.  It was a pleasant diversion.  Not nearly as poignant as the original film with Clifton Webb, and hardly true to the novel, but fun all the same.

On deck is "Elizabeth" which I've had a hankering to see again.  I've got so many DVDs piled up awaiting my scrutiny it's obscene.  

And now I'm tired....so tired....can hardly keep my eyes ope....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been nodding off a lot this evening and it's beddy-bye time.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: April 09, 2004, 10:58:47 PM »

TomovOz...whydonchasaysumthinelse?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2004, 10:59:49 PM »

Dear RLP. I have been listening to Eric Kunzel and his take on your favourite JLS. Lonely Looking Sky/Be/Dear Father. Very good listening too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »

And I was writing that as you posted your message!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2004, 11:01:32 PM »

Tonight's DVD viewing could well be the Swedish production of "Chess" which Colin loves.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2004, 11:01:41 PM »

One side effect of the ladsitting was that they did some of the sitting.  It started while we were going into the grocery store, when I swooped the younger grandlad up and perched him upon my shoulders.  He thought that was great fun, husky three-year-old that he is.  After a while, he decided he'd rather ride in the shopping cart, which was fine by me by that point.

My big mistake came later, when the sulky six-year-old grandlad started complaining about how he never got to do anything.  For some rediculous reason, I offered to give him a ride on my shoulders.  Now, the older grandlad is slight, light, and small for his age, but he's still three years older than his brother.  He thought the ride was a great idea, too.

My neck is going to be hurting through the weekend, at least.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2004, 11:06:40 PM »

An aside to DR Jose: der Brucer is sort of hinting that he might get me sets 4, 5, and 6 of the Good Eats DVDs.  I'm hoping!   8)

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2004, 11:09:13 PM »

And where is the insomniac Jose tonight. The man shuold know his priorities.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2004, 11:12:07 PM »

Laura II - This a good night to stand up and have your posts counted. I should have noted you as the other insomniac. At least it is only 4.15pm here in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2004, 11:14:24 PM »

Things should be fun here in Rehoboth in a couple of weeks.  From Friday, April 23rd, through Sunday, April 25th, the First Annual Rehoboth Beach Wine and Food Festival is taking place.  I don't know how they're coming up with "first annual," but from the link there's a lot of interesting stuff going on.

We've had very good dinners at Celsius and the Blue Moon, and the Dogfish Head, known for it's microbrewery, serves up pretty good pub grub.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2004, 11:19:34 PM »

The following weekend is the Rehoboth Beach Cabaret Fest.   Add to the places we've enjoyed another participant, Cafe Zeus.

(Just when are we supposed to get any rest, I wonder?  And people were predicting that der Brucer and I would be bored out of our gords with this move!)

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2004, 11:20:17 PM »

A mini rally could be in order. I used to drive a Mini but I certainly have never driven in a rally.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2004, 11:20:21 PM »

Tomovoz, Every year my high school chorus used to do a concert with The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.  Max Rudolph was then the conducting but he had a new young conductor who conducted much of the concert...that was Erich Kunzel.  The whole orchestra came and played in the high school gym with the chorus on one side of the bleachers and the audience on the other side.  Herr Kunzel and are chorus director, Robert Knauf, became good pals.  We were a very lucky school to have such enriching perks.  As far as I know we were the only high school in the area that did this.  I think we did a few numbers with them and then the symphony had its own program.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2004, 11:20:32 PM »

How many more posts until we're clear of the "all time low" number?   ::)

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2004, 11:24:55 PM »

I have a few of the Kunzel CDs - the sound is always terrific. We are of course now over that numbers hurdle so I can bid you all a good evening. See you tomorrow. (I think 135 is the number SWW)
"High School" I think that is some kind of Stan Freberg reference - obscure of course.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2004, 11:25:49 PM »

We are now officially clear by the skin of our teeth.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2004, 11:29:20 PM »

Kunzel really became the Arthur Fiedler at the beginning of the CD age.  We've a number of his discs, almost all enjoyable (but everyone deserves the right to a couple of bunts).  I regularly looked forward to finding out what track would have a "caution" advisiory, due to it's sudden volume changes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2004, 11:35:49 PM »

We are now officially clear by the skin of our teeth.
aka "over and over".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2004, 11:56:22 PM »

Everything is beautiful at the ballet.  Especially tonight's Romeo.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2004, 11:56:33 PM »

One last bit of fun we had with the grandlads: when we were driving away from the movie theater, the younger one piped up "Can we go go McDonalds?"  (He'd just spotted one of their so-called restaurants.)

De Brucer tried to suggest that we really didn't have time, as we had to get back to the home base.  This didn't work, of course, because when a three-year-old wants something, practical considerations don't matter.  "But I want to go to McDonalds!" he piped back.

I turned around and told them, in my most serious voice, "McDonalds is evil."

Their jaws dropped.

It took them a full five seconds before they could stammer back that "No, it's not!"

"McDonalds is evil," I repeated.

"No, it's not!" they shouted back.  "Oh, yes it is!" I replied.  "It's Not!" "It Is!" "It's Not!" "It Is!"

While this debate raged back and forth, der Brucer muttered to me "You're gonna catch hell from their father when he hears about this," since said father is a McDonalds addict.  He was chuckling all the while, of course.

By the time we got back to the homestead, the younger lad was whispering to his brother, "McDonalds is evil!" causing shrieks of laughter to billow from the back seat boys.

Life can be such fun!   8)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2004, 11:58:58 PM »

But wait!  There's more!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up