Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL  (Read 48598 times)

Ginny

Re: HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »

Well, I'm going to log out for a while and go into the family room to eat pizza and watch a movie with Richard - because I can!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »

Page 5, no blood thinner injections, no sittin' around DANCE!!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2010, 03:00:14 PM »

You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2010, 03:05:20 PM »

My 11 year quest for Quarters is over!!!

Late this afternoon while doing laundry I finally got the last quarter in the State and 6 U.S. Territories Program. I needed the quarter for the Northern Mariana Islands. I went to the deli around the corner from the Laudromat and when I got my change I received that very quarter. It's not as new and shiny as I would hope but I'm not getting the quarters for their enhanced value. I'm just putting them in a book to have them. I may try to shine it up and make it look a bit nicer.

Where are the Northern Mariana Islands, you ask? They are in a region called Oceania, islands in the North Pacific Ocean, about three-quarters of the way from Hawaii to the Philippines.

This is from the U.S. Mint Web site regarding the NMI

A possession of Spain until 1898, the islands were sold to Germany in 1899.  The islands were seized in 1914 by Japan, whose control of the islands was officially recognized in 1921 by the League of Nations.  American forces occupied the Marianas during World War II, and in 1947 the group was included in the U.S. Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.  Residents approved separate status for the Northern Marianas as a U.S. Commonwealth in 1975, and the covenant to establish the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands was signed by President Gerald Ford the next year.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2010, 03:27:36 PM »

I reconnected a few days agowith an old law school classmate.  we had written a song together back in law school days, and I'd had the old tape converted to mp3, but tracked him down (not hard to do) to make sure he hadn't given his lyric to someone else to set over the years.

We talked over whether the super-simple "demo" was Ok to put on YouTube and I got the sense that he thought what we had was OK, just put it on there, but explain what it was - just a slightly, scratchy old piano recording.

So here is a silly but sweet song in time for Valentine's day, the only song where I've ever set someone else's lyric, called IS IT MUSHY TO SAY I LOVE YOU?  It's just an audio, no video, but the lyrics are in the "more info" section at the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lgqDTsFuU

Nice job, Fred. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »

Congrats on the find, Ben!  I bought the sealed, proof sets from the US Mint.  They added the presidential dollar coins as part of the sets, when those were introduced, but I don't think I'll continue to buy any more.  I really only wanted the state/territory quarters and now they're finished.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:32:40 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »

Thanks for listening, George.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS HAPPY CAMPER! 

I'm glad you are still taking it easy at first.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »

Internet has been working all day today - many thanks for the vibes.

:)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »

My goodness, DR Edi, you have really been the travelling lady over the past month or so! Hope you have a great time in LA.

Having a great time and we're both picking up work, too. Don't know if we'll take these on because they are both long projects, but it's nice to be wanted!

DR edisaurus - I forget, how long are you scheduled(?) to stay out in L.A. this time round?

We're flying back Monday AM.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »

I'm back from DC. I've unpacked, checked the emails, and now I have to catch up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

I reconnected a few days agowith an old law school classmate.  we had written a song together back in law school days, and I'd had the old tape converted to mp3, but tracked him down (not hard to do) to make sure he hadn't given his lyric to someone else to set over the years.

We talked over whether the super-simple "demo" was Ok to put on YouTube and I got the sense that he thought what we had was OK, just put it on there, but explain what it was - just a slightly, scratchy old piano recording.

So here is a silly but sweet song in time for Valentine's day, the only song where I've ever set someone else's lyric, called IS IT MUSHY TO SAY I LOVE YOU?  It's just an audio, no video, but the lyrics are in the "more info" section at the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lgqDTsFuU

:D

At first I couldn't hear it very well.  I then turned down the volume & read the words as I listened.  I'm glad I took the time to fix it or I would have missed out.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »

I typed that last post, & this one, with 2 hands. :)  I'm not sure how long I can keep it up.  My right hand is always at an odd angle with makes it difficult to hit the keys properly & I don't like having to lift it to reach for keys.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:06 PM »

Well, I'm going to log out for a while and go into the family room to eat pizza and watch a movie with Richard - because I can!

:D

Jane

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »

how was your trip elmore?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2010, 04:31:22 PM »

My new dining room table finally arrived.  It's a bit larger than my other table, but looks quite nice, and my old chairs work perfectly.  I had only one measly little package today, but see that amazon has shipped my Blu and Ray of The Music Man, which means I might, just might, get it on Monday.

FJL

« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »

Jane - Thanks for listening. 

(I wonder what the sound thing was, though.)

Jane

« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »

as you said, it is an old recording.  i'm glad i figured out a fix.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2010, 04:53:03 PM »

bruce, i always find it a relief when the furniture arrives and fits as i hoped it would.  good news on your table fitting the chairs so well.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »

The train trip to DC went smoothly and the hotel already had a room ready for me when I arrived around 10:45. The research went well, although there are several Victor Herbert compositions written in the 1890s that were not submitted for copyright with the LoC at the time. I'm therefore missing about six compositions for Cello and Piano and I hope I can locate them in the Juilliard or Manhattan School of Music libraries. I spent about $160 on photocopies, getting al the Herbert pieces for cello I could, including a couple of manuscript scores that were not published, and all the art songs Herbert wrote as well as songs for plays and singers that were not part of the stage shows. Things were very pleasant overall, so that made life more comfortable, and today, while Loras Schissel and I were going through the unidentified Herbert manuscripts, I discovered what may be a missing song from BABES IN TOYLAND. Filed under the title "She was a country girl," I believe it's the missing song "Evaline McCook" that was cut after opening night in Chicago on June 17, 1903.

So, since the Herbert album I'm working on was to be a recording of his pieces for cello and piano, I got worried that if the missing items don't show up, there may not be enough music for a recording, What goes with it? This morning I gave it some thought and figured there were two possibilities:
  1. Herbert's pieces for piano solo
  2. another composer's music for cello and piano, so, since Offenbach and Herbert were both virtuoso cellists, I pulled all of Offenach's published music for cello and piano and photocopied them along with all of Herbert's solo piano compositions. I was finished by 12:30, got to Union Station by 1 pm, exchanged my ticket from the 4:05 to 2:05 train and headed back to Manhattan.

On a more shocking bit of news, we just got the 2010 bill for the first half of the year's taxes on my dad's property and it's tripled since last February! I spoke to Jo yesterday morning, and she and I are both pushing for the realtor. I think Randy's now coming around, so we need a lot of Ohio Realtor Vibes to sell this white elephant.

DR Ginny, I hope things are improving with the thinner. You might consider staying at the Capitol Hill Suites. I really like them, and the rooms have a microwave and fridge if you want to stock up on food.

Where is DR TCB? And since I cannot remember everyone's ailments or problems,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes to one and all for what ails or provokes 'em! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »

lots of Ohio Realtor Vibes for DR Elmore!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »

Well, we won't be able to visit Van Dyke Parks on this trip. For some reason, he wants to spend time with his visiting grandchildren. Go figure!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »

Tonight’s full moon, AKA wolf moon, will appear 30 percent brighter and 14 percent larger than any other full moon this year, because our cosmic neighbor will actually be closer to Earth than usual.  And in a remarkable coincidence, Mars is at opposition tonight—directly opposite to the sun in the sky—so that as the sun sets in the southwest, Mars rises in the northeast.

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »

Oh wow it is cold out. I cannot remember it being this cold.  I think it is around -30C with windchill.  If your face it not covered it freezes within minutes. Yuck!

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »

Good news DR Ginny!

And test result vibes to DS Rob. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2010, 06:19:49 PM »

I'm not sure what to watch now. I could choose between GHOST WHISPERER, MEDIUM, WHITE COLLAR or today's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »

I've written twelve pages I think, maybe more - hard to know when I add stuff to earlier chapters.  I'm pooped, so I think I'll watch a motion picture and then see if I feel like writing another page or two.

Laura

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »

Here is my full moon:

td

• td
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2010, 06:30:44 PM »

I'd show my full moon, but it would be unseemly.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

pretty laura :)  i should go look for ours.  i hope it doesn't keep me awake tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up