Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT AND SWEET  (Read 15232 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHORT AND SWEET
« on: February 11, 2010, 12:08:28 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both short and sweet, and now it is time for you to post until the short and sweet cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SHORT AND SWEET
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:09:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: AFFRANCHISE!

Laura

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:04:07 AM »

TOD: I was six and a flower girl in someone's wedding. I have no idea whose. Most recently, I attended a banquet at which a 91-year-old woman I know was inducted into the Arizona Aviation Hall of Fame.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Michael

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 04:34:20 AM »

tod

the two times I had to wear a tux

My grad and my sister's wedding
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:35:15 AM »

And the word of the day is: AFFRANCHISE!

A Franchise:

People who open their own Burger King restaurant
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:41:50 AM »

Health vibes to DR TCB.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:42:17 AM »

At least Mr BK's car was not out in the hail the other day, which can be annoying.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm........

Weddings were always dress up days......

I went to a Phoenix Theatre 10th Anniversary Party back in the day in black tie and everyone was very dressed up - it was quite fun.

There have also been a few dance events when everyone looks nice - like in a movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:43:51 AM »

Today is a work day.  Oh well.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 04:53:41 AM »

I'm back at work after my one-day unexpected vacation. The city is full of snow and ice but it's not shut down.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 04:53:58 AM »

Many good thoughts to Dear TCB

Ben

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 04:54:16 AM »

The Ford Foundation calls

Ginny

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:29 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I'm up early to go to the lab for the blood test I should have had yesterday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:23:47 AM »

Sending good vibes out to TCB!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »

Sending good vibes to everyone, too!  We can all use any good vibes we get!  :)
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »

Good morning, all! First thing, a trip for an eye exam, followed by a visit with Wayne Barker, the Musical Director for this Equity Fights Aids event, to pick up the chart I'm doing for it. That should land me around noon wondering what to do next, so I may venture further north to the Manghattan School of Music in search of Victor Herbert songs and cello-piano music.

So far, that's my day. I also need to reschedule my taxes and call the Amherst Library. Otherwise, I will be waiting for the fallout over the problematic conductor.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »

Tonight is the 2 hour season premiere of SURIVOR: heroes vs villains.

Will any other DRs be watching?

And if so I"m curious who are your favorites going in?  I am in love with boston rob. I really hope that he and russell form an alliance. I would love to see them go all the way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 06:15:44 AM »

I'm up and have announced and am going back to bed.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »

I'm checking out the Olympic schedule for here. It looks like events will not go past 10:30pm at night eastern time. And i guess most thing won't start too early. I was checking out sat and sun. One thing of interest for me is short track speed skating. I love watching that.

I see pairs short program figure skating is on live sunday at 7:30pm eastern.

It looks like i have at least 3 channels that will have full time coverage: CTV, TSN and rogers sportsnet). Plus french channels.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »

Here is an exact schedule in pacific time of when the figure skating will happen:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/results-and-schedules/index.html

KevinH

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »

Vibes to DR TCB

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 06:45:01 AM »

TOD:

There was the senior prom and black-tie dances during college, but beyond that, I've tried to avoid fancy dress stuff.  I'm strictly a jeans/t-shirt guy and I only wear a tie if my wife puts a gun to my head.

About the only "fancy" (i.e. black tie) event that I recall attending was back in the 1980s when my friend/client Steve Kanalt was doing DALLAS.  A CBS affiliate was opening its new facilities in San Antonio, and Steve and I flew down for the event.  I recall that the affiliate rented a tuxedo for me.

I must admit that I had a good time.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

BBC Radio 2 is doing a multi-part bio of the Great American Songbook Composer

Jimmy Van Heusen Rupert Holmes

Episode 1 was broadcast this past Tuesday and will be up on Listen Again until the 16th of February. Click the link to listen.

Priscilla, you might be interested since your friend Rupert Holmes is the narrator of the broadcast.

Here is a description of the program from the Beeb Web site:

Rupert Holmes considers the legacy of songwriter, hellraiser and pilot Jimmy Van Heusen, who wrote many hits for Frank Sinatra.

When Jimmy Van Heusen died 20 years ago, the world of American popular song lost one of its most individual characters. Van Heusen was a man who could combine fine composition with serial womanising, and hard work in Hollywood alongside piloting his own aircraft. It's said that he gave his friend Frank Sinatra many of the elements which Sinatra used to define his own style and the 85 songs he wrote for him created a musical persona for Frank which still resonates today. And it's not just Sinatra who benefited from Van Heusen's music. His legacy is felt today, with performers like Michael Buble having notable successes with his songs.

He was born Edward Chester Babcock in 1913 and was known as "Chet" to his family and friends. He preferred music to school and worked for a time on a local radio station, composing songs for listeners. Eventually, after a name change, he made it to New York where he began writing hit songs like Polka Dots And Moonbeams. An invitation to Hollywood led to his composing songs for Bing Crosby's "Road" movies. With Sammy Cahn he wrote numbers like Call Me Irresponsible and High Hopes, which later became John F. Kennedy's theme song.

The musician, novelist and stage writer Rupert Holmes, famous for his 1979 hit Escape (the Pina Colada song) has an expert knowledge of Van Heusen. He attended the same school and is currently working on the Broadway version of Robin And The 7 Hoods, with music by Van Heusen. In programme one, he explores Van Heusen's early career and his songwriting partnerships with Eddie De Lange and Johnny Burke, which produced hits such as Darn That Dream and Swinging On A Star.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2010, 07:09:21 AM »

Good morning!

Took my walk this morning. It was 26, but I dressed smartly this morning and wasn't really cold. A couple of surprising sights on my trip. More about that later. It's going to be another cold but otherwise beautiful day!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 07:14:59 AM »

TOD:

I despise dressing up in a tux, and apart from a couple of weddings I was part of, I have only worn a tux on stage in various roles (Max in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, for example).

There was one exception. In 1982,  I was nominated as Best Supporting Actor in a Musical for Jacob Anderson in SHENANDOAH by the Metrolina Theater Association (amateur and professional companies in lower NC and upper SC vying for these prizes). I knew I wasn't going to get it, but to be a good sport, I dressed in a rented tux and went. A fellow who played Luther Billis in a local production of SOUTH PACIFIC won. Hard to win against anyone playing Luther Billis.

Other times I've been nominated for awards with various theater groups the dress has been less restrictive, and I've gone in a coat and tie which makes the evening much more comfortable.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 07:18:11 AM »

This morning on my walk, I walked by a house three doors down from me, and an oak tree had split in half and fallen on a car and part of the house. It was a godawful mess!

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 07:19:40 AM »

On the latter third of my walk, I noticed that a wooden pole that held a street lamp and also cracked in two and had obviously fallen in the street. I guess a street crew had picked it up and thrown it onto the sidewalk for removal later.

Both of these "splittings" happened between my walk yesterday morning and my walk this morning!

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »

Today I'll be finishing up STARGATE UNIVERSE 1.0 on Blu-ray. The episodes are fairly entertaining but it's a darker, more dour world they're playing around in here.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:20 AM »

For some weird reason known only to Fox, BONES is on tonight, but it's a rerun. I guess Fox didn't want to waste a new episode opposite the start-up of SURVIVOR, but BONES has more than held its own against the show this season, so I don't really understand the reasoning behind this.

Cillaliz

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »

BBC Radio 2 is doing a multi-part bio of the Great American Songbook Composer

Jimmy Van Heusen Rupert Holmes

Episode 1 was broadcast this past Tuesday and will be up on Listen Again until the 16th of February. Click the link to listen.

Priscilla, you might be interested since your friend Rupert Holmes is the narrator of the broadcast.

Here is a description of the program from the Beeb Web site:

Rupert Holmes considers the legacy of songwriter, hellraiser and pilot Jimmy Van Heusen, who wrote many hits for Frank Sinatra.

When Jimmy Van Heusen died 20 years ago, the world of American popular song lost one of its most individual characters. Van Heusen was a man who could combine fine composition with serial womanising, and hard work in Hollywood alongside piloting his own aircraft. It's said that he gave his friend Frank Sinatra many of the elements which Sinatra used to define his own style and the 85 songs he wrote for him created a musical persona for Frank which still resonates today. And it's not just Sinatra who benefited from Van Heusen's music. His legacy is felt today, with performers like Michael Buble having notable successes with his songs.

He was born Edward Chester Babcock in 1913 and was known as "Chet" to his family and friends. He preferred music to school and worked for a time on a local radio station, composing songs for listeners. Eventually, after a name change, he made it to New York where he began writing hit songs like Polka Dots And Moonbeams. An invitation to Hollywood led to his composing songs for Bing Crosby's "Road" movies. With Sammy Cahn he wrote numbers like Call Me Irresponsible and High Hopes, which later became John F. Kennedy's theme song.

The musician, novelist and stage writer Rupert Holmes, famous for his 1979 hit Escape (the Pina Colada song) has an expert knowledge of Van Heusen. He attended the same school and is currently working on the Broadway version of Robin And The 7 Hoods, with music by Van Heusen. In programme one, he explores Van Heusen's early career and his songwriting partnerships with Eddie De Lange and Johnny Burke, which produced hits such as Darn That Dream and Swinging On A Star.

Thanks Ben, I didn't know about that.  I did know Rupert is working on Robin and The 7 Hoods. It's going to be at the Old Globe in San Diego next summer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up