Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT AND SWEET  (Read 15231 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: SHORT AND SWEET
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 07:32:59 AM »

I know you love SURVIVOR, DR Jennifer, and Boston Rob, etc., but the one thing I really DESPISE about these "Best of" contests is that it has turned some of these folks into "professional reality show celebrities." They're no longer ordinary folks competing on a game show. They're media celebrities of the worst kind, famous for being famous (often obnoxious, hateful, egocentric). And Boston Rob is one of the worst examples (add Jerri Manthey to that list, too). We have had them on three seasons of SURVIVOR. Wasn't he also a contestant on BIG BROTHER or was it THE AMAZING RACE? And CBS paid for and broadcast his wedding.

Popular, no doubt about it, but for me he has nothing to offer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »

I'm not sure how I've gotten so behind this morning, but it's 10:30, and I'm still not through with my morning internet surf.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »

I agree about ROB (and AMBER), Matt, though I must admit Rob makes me laugh a lot of the time.

Vibes to TCB. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: AFFRANCHISE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  FREE

JMK

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:04 AM »

Elmore, this new Ring is pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.  Mehta is conducting and the production design is astounding--lots of projections and really cool high tech sets.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 07:38:53 AM »

I think BK may want to pick up this new Symphonic Legrand "bookcase" CD set.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »

My friend, George Lindblade, is a photographer.  Back in the 60s he used to work for Frank Sinatra on occasion.  He has great photos of the rat pack, Jimmy Van Heusen, Harpo Marks and many more.  You can see some of them at www.siouxcitygifts.com they are under George Lindblade's 60s stars or something like that.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »

I agree about ROB (and AMBER), Matt, though I must admit Rob makes me laugh a lot of the time.

Vibes to TCB. 

I think the edition of SURVIVOR he was on the first time was the last season of the show I ever watched. I hated him so much and just decided I was WAY too involved with these people. I haven't watched a second of the show since that season.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:16 AM »

I saw TO LIVE AND DIE IN LA at the theater when it first came out. I liked it well enough. I bought the DVD when it was finally released, but it sat on the shelf for a long time before I finally rewatched the movie. I wasn't as enthralled with it the second time.

I would have never bought it on Blu-ray, but it came as a part of the big Fox Blu-ray box last week (though since it's MGM, someone else got first dibs on it, and I didn't review it). I will eventually get around to watching it on Blu-ray, but there are many other movies on Blu-ray (and DVD) that I have that I'd rather watch than it.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »

Now I must head downstairs and get cleaned up for my lunch out with friends today.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 08:04:09 AM »

Good morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm looking at the very pretty scene in my backyard: snowy and sunny. Alas, it's the slush out front I'm going to be dealing with today.  -But that's what boots are for.  *As well as putting an extra pair of socks in my bag.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 08:08:25 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My first Communion and my Confirmation.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »

Otherwise...

I remember dressing up in a suit and tie for my first National Symphony Concert at the Kennedy Center.  Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra with Ricardo Chailly conducting and Vladimir Ashkenazy as the soloist in the first (or was is the second?) Brahms' piano concerto.  -They were also premiering John Harbison's "Ulysses' Bow".  When the composer came back out with Maestro Chailly, I still remember wondering, "Who is that?". ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:01 AM »

I LOVE wearing a tux and will look for an excuse to wear one. 

I guess my first fancy dress do would have been the junior prom, for which I rented a tux.

When I was going to the British Stunt Ball in London, I bought a tux.  It was a very posh affair at the Grosvenor House.  Since I have worn the tux to two WGA Awards banquets and to a premiere in Cannes.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »

And...

The first time I attended the Helen Hayes Awards - D.C.'s version of The Tony Awards.

And the two times I've attend The Tony Awards.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »

Because I was a member of my college's Choral Society and Madrigal group, wearing a tux was almost a weekly thing for me towards the end of each semester - especially when I had to wear one for playing and accompanying recitals.  To add some variety, I would buy different tie and cummerbund sets.  Consequently, I'd rather wear a tuxedo than a suit.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 08:37:44 AM »

While catering at Carnegie Mellon, all male bartenders had to wear a tux (rented with the university's $) for The President's Ball every February.  By the end of the evening, jackets were off and vests were on view. 

Onstage, I've only appeared in a tux in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, in August. . .but, the Lord family never sweats. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:32 AM »

My first big dress up affair was my sister's wedding in 1970. I was 5 years old and wore a white suit and was one of two kids (I forget who the other one was) who lit the candles.

I have a memory of renting a tux back in the 90s, but for what I do not recall.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »

Slept in late this morning. Felt good to do that for a change. Woke up to near-freezing rain and blech outside. May go back and pull the covers over my head again.

I can't remember the first dressy occasion or the most lavish, there have been a few that I have had to cover as a journalist, so renting a tux for an opera gala, etc. happened once or twice. For my prom, I was the only one with white tie and tails, while the rest were in powdered blue and burnt orange tuxedos. I do recall that being strange. I also recall covering the opening of the Armand Hammer exhibit at the University of Kentucky a few years later. Hammer and his wife were there, as was Phyllis George, then the first lady of Kentucky. I thought that was something spectacular, but more because of Hammer's beautiful art than the people. If you have a room full of Corots and Fragonards and even a Rembrandt or two, who cares about the people?

That said, give me jeans any day.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »

TCB, I hope you are back to feeling better in no time at all! Take care good  buddy!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 08:53:16 AM »

DR JMK - The "bookcase" Legrand CD set - Is this a new issue?  Or something that has been previously released? I only ask since I've seen a new-to-me Legrand set down at Academy Records.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 09:03:10 AM »

And as the morning turns to afternoon here in NYC, I need to get ready to play for a voice lesson or two.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »

Yes, we need more info on the Legrand.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »

I've printed all the orders so far and so far, so good.

JMK

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

I'm not home so can't inform you about Legrand right now other than to say, yes, it's a new release.  It has Symphonic suites (arranged and conducted by Legrand) of a lot of his stuff.  I'll give you a catalog number and more info when I get home.

Ben

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 10:00:45 AM »

I went to Barnes & Noble at lunch and they had the new Finian's. Yes, I probably would have saved a few dollars if I had bought it on line but I would have to wait for delivery. I have it now and it's worth it.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:14 AM »

I know you love SURVIVOR, DR Jennifer, and Boston Rob, etc., but the one thing I really DESPISE about these "Best of" contests is that it has turned some of these folks into "professional reality show celebrities." They're no longer ordinary folks competing on a game show. They're media celebrities of the worst kind, famous for being famous (often obnoxious, hateful, egocentric). And Boston Rob is one of the worst examples (add Jerri Manthey to that list, too). We have had them on three seasons of SURVIVOR. Wasn't he also a contestant on BIG BROTHER or was it THE AMAZING RACE? And CBS paid for and broadcast his wedding.

Popular, no doubt about it, but for me he has nothing to offer.

Just from memory rob mariano was on his original season of survivor. And then he was also on survivor all-stars, where he met his now wife amber. They were the final 2. Then they did do THE AMAZING RACE. And did quite well on that.

And now he is on heroes vs villains. I disagree with putting him in the same category as jerri manthey. I think Boston rob is a fantastic survivor player. He is competitive, athletic and hilariously funny.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:27:20 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 10:25:53 AM »

Vibes to TCB. 

I think the edition of SURVIVOR he was on the first time was the last season of the show I ever watched. I hated him so much and just decided I was WAY too involved with these people. I haven't watched a second of the show since that season.

For some reason i think that he was meaner on the original season he was on. I loved him from all-stars.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »

Back from the post office - I actually got everything but the big orders out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up