Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHORT AND SWEET  (Read 15080 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: SHORT AND SWEET
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »

TOD:

I guess the first "fancy dress" was when I was dressed as Bobby Shafto (complete with silver buckles) for a dance recital when I was about 5 - the next year I had to do a tap routine in tux with a cane :(

First of-my-own-free-will dress up was probably the end of season formal ball at the local service club that provide ballroom dance instruction (I was 13).

I wore a Tux for my Little Theatre debut in Time Out For Ginger (age 15).

During High School years my Tux got some use at various Debutant Balls and Rainbow Girl cotillions, etc. (Teenage boys who were good dancers and dressed up well were in great demand!) I even tied my own bow-ties!

Of course, college years at Annapolis were filled with formal affairs including Kennedy's Inaugural Ball.

My wedding was a black-tie evening event.

My in-laws made sure my wife and I were trotted out for numerous Military-Industrial Complex formal events in DC.

Both my stint on the Board of Directors of the International City Theatre of Long Beach and with the national Log Cabin Republicans kept Woody and I both in tuxedos for a few years. (The tuxes hung in the closet right next to my motorcycle club uniform; my "unmentionables" required for my reign as Empress de Motorcycling de Los Angeles were kept in the garage.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 11:26:08 AM »

Dropped by Borders to see if I could special order Lola Montes, since I had both the 33% off coupon and Borders Bucks.  Got a kind of snippy clerk whose attitude changed completely as soon as she saw I had $15 in Borders Bucks.  Ended up getting Lola for $12, which I like.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »

TOD - my first real dress-up affair was my sister's wedding when I was 11 and served as junior bridesmaid (too old to be a flower girl).  In addition to the fact that I wore a custom-made dress and dyed-to-match shoes, the day stands out as my first appearance in nylon stockings.

At the University of Michigan, my friend Doug and I decided to attend the gala grand opening night of the Power Center for the Performing Arts, for which I bought a black and white print dress that was slit up both sides almost to the hips and came with a pair of long swishy black pants to wear underneath.  The evening was magical with a dedication ceremony, the conferring of honorary degrees on Nancy Hanks, Helen Hayes, James Earl Jones, Walter Kerr, Jo Mielziner, and Julius Rudel and the premiere of the musical THE GRASS HARP.

Now this was the early 1970s and for a subsequent theatre date, Doug dared me to wear the same dress, not with the long pants underneath, but with black "hot pants," which I made myself and had the figure for back then.  I think I wore that outfit to Detroit's Fisher Theatre to see PURLIE.

Of course, Richard and I both selected special outfits for our wedding.  My veil cost more than my dress, because I bought my dress "off the rack" at a local department store.  I really think it was a rejected special order for something like an Eastern Star initiation, but sort of looked like Princess Leia's dress in STAR WARS.  Richard drew inspiration for his attire from Lord Peter Wimsey's wedding outfit in Dorothy Sayers' BUSMAN'S HONEYMOON.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »

I shall now be on my way to my lunch meeting, after which I shall return.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never actually been to a fancy "dress" event, but when I was in the Western Washington University concert choir, the men had to wear tuxes.  And for the one wedding that I was in (my sister's), I wore a suit.  Otherwise, the only "fancy" clothes that I wear are when I'm in a show and my character needs to be dressed up. 
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 12:30:22 PM »

I thnk the fanciest affair I've attended was the 1st year party of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE; the show had just won the Pulitzer and I made the guest list because of my Pulitzer connection. My friend friend Snooky Barton, from my hometown, was my date and we both looked fantastic. the party was great and i got really stoned on the host's excellent pot.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:39:10 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 12:38:56 PM »

My taxes are moved to Monday, the 22nd. Excellent!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »

I agree about ROB (and AMBER), Matt, though I must admit Rob makes me laugh a lot of the time.

Vibes to TCB. 

I think the edition of SURVIVOR he was on the first time was the last season of the show I ever watched. I hated him so much and just decided I was WAY too involved with these people. I haven't watched a second of the show since that season.

For some reason i think that he was meaner on the original season he was on. I loved him from all-stars.

As I said, I know you love him and will find all the reasons in the world to support that. To each his own. I'm glad you like him and enjoy the show. I think he and Jerri Manthey are TWO PEAS IN A POD: folks who'll do ANYTHING to keep their celebrity status going including appearing in endless variations of these SURVIVOR "all-star" seasons.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »

Before I headed out to lunch, I had time to watch last night's MODERN FAMILY, another hilarious episode. The real strength of the show is that all three families have the potential to be hilarious. You aren't ever stuck on one hoping for the switch to another of the families. One third is equally as strong and funny as the other two-thirds.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »

When I got in, I watched the remaining four episodes of SG-U 1.0 (which is why I'm about 20 minutes late logging on). None of the episodes changed my mind about the show being only a slight notch above mediocre at best. And the episode "Time" (patterned somewhat on CLOVERFIELD) was really lame. I really hated that episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2010, 01:32:03 PM »

I sampled all of the commentaries while I was watching the shows (nice to be able to switch audio tracks on the fly). These are not great commentary tracks, and when nothing but actors are present, they're too chatty and chummy to give much background information about the making of the episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »

I still have all the bonus features to get through when I go back down. This will likely take another hour, maybe a little more.

Laura

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2010, 01:38:56 PM »

I would like to see any photos of you men in tuxes, please.

Laura

« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »

Today I went for a walk. Here is my DH throwing a boulder to make a stepping stone so I can cross the swollen creek.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »

Maybe over the weekend, I can get the scene from THE SOUND OF MUSIC, copy it to disc, and take a still frame to send. I know I never had a picture of any of the weddings or that one adult wearing of a tux.

I have some pictures from dance recitals as a kid in a tux (sewn by my mother who made all my costumes back in those days. I'll see if I can find one of those).

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »

Now I must write a little bit before heading back down.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »

Well, the conductor will most likely be retained but no one was happy when they learned that his orchestra scores are still sitting in my office; he hasn't felt any need to consult them since September. So much for preparation.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

re: the TOD.

I remember when i was about 10 getting dressed up in a matching purple dress to my sister and attending my uncle's wedding.

For graduation I remember we all had very fancy dresses. I still have mine but would never wear it. It was sort of an aqua green/blue.

As an adult i was maid of honor for my sister's wedding and had a really nice navy dress.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »

80 posts at 3:00 p.m.!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2010, 03:05:13 PM »

Left Coast Time
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »

80 posts at 3:00 p.m.!

Gratuitous Post #82 at 03:22:12 PM!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

KevinH

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »

TOD:  My brother's wedding in 1976; Kennedy Center Honors in 2008

KevinH

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »

I cleaned snow off my car again, but I'm not sure when I'll be driving.  I saw several people getting stuck trying to get out of the parking lot (which is on an incline). 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2010, 03:28:48 PM »

Back from a very nice lunch with Sam Bobrick and Ron Clark.  Did some errands and whatnot, printed more orders (this will be sold out by tomorrow), packaged up some orders and even got a little proofing done.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »

Elmore, this new Ring is pretty amazing, if I do say so myself.  Mehta is conducting and the production design is astounding--lots of projections and really cool high tech sets.

Did they use a different score?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »

Slept in late this morning. Felt good to do that for a change. Woke up to near-freezing rain and blech outside. May go back and pull the covers over my head again.

I can't remember the first dressy occasion or the most lavish, there have been a few that I have had to cover as a journalist, so renting a tux for an opera gala, etc. happened once or twice. For my prom, I was the only one with white tie and tails, while the rest were in powdered blue and burnt orange tuxedos. I do recall that being strange. I also recall covering the opening of the Armand Hammer exhibit at the University of Kentucky a few years later. Hammer and his wife were there, as was Phyllis George, then the first lady of Kentucky. I thought that was something spectacular, but more because of Hammer's beautiful art than the people. If you have a room full of Corots and Fragonards and even a Rembrandt or two, who cares about the people?

That said, give me jeans any day.

John G., I thought you wrote near-freezing rain and bleach outside.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »

TCB, I hope you are back to feeling better in no time at all! Take care good  buddy!

Aww, thank you, Mike!

And thank you to one and all for the good vibes.  You must all be as tired of this stuff as I am.

The bad news is that my doctor is out of the office until Monday or Tuesday, and I refuse to see that quack I saw last time.
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »

Here I am at a Fundraiser for PCPH in the late 1980's with my friend Vickie....we did a nice soft shoe.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up