Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTE TO SELF  (Read 42269 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NOTE TO SELF
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2004, 08:47:41 PM »

Well, I won't say I was surprised at the AMERICAN IDOL results. The lines of the bottom three were definitely not busy last night on the East Coast.

Always sad to see someone go who was entertaining to watch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2004, 08:48:33 PM »

The free show I'm doing Thursday night is getting a last minute change-in-venue.  Which is quite exciting, because I've never played there before.  I can't make the announcement, because I'm not sure the whole cast (of 23) has been told, but Al Carmines fans should be able to figure out what the name of the theatre is.

Lots of songs you don't hear every day.
Sondheim's No Mary Ann
Loesser's Rumble Rumble Rumble
3 by Strouse & Adams: Ooh Do You Love You, Lorna's Here and This Is the Life
2 from Man With a Load of Mischief that should be very well sung

plus some more well-known numbers, like
Perfect Relationship
What More Do I Need
There Won't Be Trumpets
Aldonza
There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This

My fingers are beginning to hurt just thinking about it!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2004, 08:53:49 PM »

Plunked in MURDER BY DEATH to watch tomorrow. With it being talked about earlier in the week on our mystery day and my just having gotten it on DVD after years of watching and enjoying the laserdisc, I couldn't wait to see what kind of transfer it would be. More tomorrow after I see it on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2004, 09:07:53 PM »

The joy has gone out of "American Idol" for me.  At his best, he was electric.  Just like his final performance tonight.  No one else on that stage has the capacity to entertain in that unique way.  No one.  And that is his gift.

Survivor:  All right.  I'm done with "AI" for the season, so will someone explain for me -- since I stopped watching "Survivor" the night Ethan was voted off -- how/why Rupert returned??????

DR Matt, you shared with me, privately, a breakdown of all the folks on Survivor and the order in which the would leave, save the final two, IIRC.  Nowhere did it say Ruben would leave twice...or that he was going to come back...did it?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2004, 09:15:40 PM »

The joy has gone out of "American Idol" for me.  At his best, he was electric.  Just like his final performance tonight.  No one else on that stage has the capacity to entertain in that unique way.  No one.  And that is his gift.

Survivor:  All right.  I'm done with "AI" for the season, so will someone explain for me -- since I stopped watching "Survivor" the night Ethan was voted off -- how/why Rupert returned??????

DR Matt, you shared with me, privately, a breakdown of all the folks on Survivor and the order in which the would leave, save the final two, IIRC.  Nowhere did it say Ruben would leave twice...or that he was going to come back...did it?

Rubert has not been voted off yet. You must still be thinking about last season.

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2004, 09:16:14 PM »

Not because it was the subject of today's lively, intelligent notes, but because I found a copy for $10.00, I plunked in KILL BILL VOL. 1 tonight AND was thoroughly exhilerated!  Completely enthralled!  Totally taken by surprise!  Hey, I'm not even the target audience for it - - the only Tarantino flick that I liked was JACKIE BROWN - - but, KILL BILL is a little gem, a ruby-red one, at that.  As for the internet nabobs, may I say, I didn't read their comments until a few minutes ago; and YES, they are nabobs.  
Some of the things that I really liked:  the Hammer horroresque bloodshed; The Bride's somewhat stilted, yet florid, dialogue; the Samurai Sword Fight in the snow; the final line.
Still don't like Lucy Liu, though.

. . .and JRand. . .I can't believe YOU didn't respond to THE APPLE news.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2004, 09:23:34 PM »

And finally, it's offical:  my computer hard drive is completely dead, broken, kaput, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference) and ALL (every single solitary bit) of my stuff is irreparably gone.  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  I don't know if my sister's boyfriend (who built my computer) will replace it or not (it's possible...my birthday is in a few weeks, but I won't expect it).  So my ability to access HHW is limited to sneaks at work (and after work) and at my sister's house.  At least we live next door to each other.  I used to log onto HHW when I got home from work and then stay in until after midnight.  Haven't been able to do that for a while...and won't for some time.  :-\

That really sux, George.  There are services out there that do something along the lines of computer forensics.  They can pretty much pull data off any hard drive, no matter what the condition.  An amazing story I heard was how this one company was able to extract files from a hard drive that had been fired at with a shotgun!  The problem is is that these services are pretty expensive, so you have to weigh the worth of the data that you lost.  In any event, don't toss the old drive yet cause maybe at some point the costs of data extraction might become cheaper.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2004, 09:26:10 PM »

Jrand, I watch House Hunters too.  In fact, after TCM, HGTV is probably the most watched station in my house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2004, 09:29:21 PM »

I'm back and to prove it I'm here.  Must eat something, then I'll return to post until the cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2004, 09:45:36 PM »

I've eaten and I feel better.  Dan-in-Toronto has posted his Kritzer Time thoughts on the Kritzer board, so do check them out.

Brent was in lovely voice tonight.  Also met Miss Anastasia Barzee, Miss Sara Gettelfinger, and several other nice folk.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2004, 09:46:07 PM »

Personal stuff.

I have to admit being a little bummed out right now.  I had a great job interview Monday, they really sounded interested and said they'd be calling in the next couple of days.

Well, Tuesday, no call.  Wednesday, no call.  And they have both numbers.

I gave them a call this afternoon, 2-ish, putting on my friendly voice.  Seems they're getting a new manager, who will be starting next week, and all hiring is on hold until n. m. gets to talk to people.  In other words, I'm in a holding pattern.

The assistant manager and her co-hort in command are really enthusiastic about my joining their workforce.  It's just that they don't have the final decision, and now we're getting this extra delay.

Time to stop feeling sorry for myself.  Der Brucer's cold hasn't broken yet, so I'm on nursing duty.  But we've got shopping to do tomorrow, whether he likes it or not.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2004, 09:48:30 PM »

I've been putzing around, looking over restaurant websites.  Applebee's is very proud of their locations in 48 states "and nine international countries."  I'm not kidding, that's how they've phrased it.

On the other hand, how else would it be phrased?  It just sounds awkward.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2004, 10:14:48 PM »

I see an Evil Twin out there that I've never had the pleasure of meeting.  I've always been partial to evil twins, particularly Samantha's twin (cousin) on Bewitched and the schmoe girl who became Erica's evil twin (was she related?) on All My Children.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2004, 11:30:30 PM »

It's been a weird night - had no idea it was so late.

You have every right to feel sorry for yourself, SWW. It's totally frustrating to have to wait that way. Half my life is spent waiting on decisions of that sort (doing it right now, as a matter of fact) - so I have a good idea of what you're going through. Hope it all works out just the way you want.
*** Lots of of GOOD JOB VIBES your way.****

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2004, 11:39:54 PM »

Weird. I was sure I had posted some vibes to DR Ann earlier today. They must be hurtling around cyberspace. Hopefully they will eventually reach their mark.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2004, 11:41:11 PM »

Strange day indeed. I think TCB has been missing. Maybe he has taken Czar Nicholas and Angel out to celebrate the good news.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2004, 11:41:19 PM »

Lovely KRITZER TIME review from Dan-in-TO.

In case any late-night denizens are wondering what happened to bk - who promised a couple of hours ago to post until the cows came home and then disappeared... He's having Adelphia woes and is unable to post at the moment, cows or no cows.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up