Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BOOK COLLECTOR  (Read 11843 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE BOOK COLLECTOR
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »

Okay, here is a question.

What new TV program are you looking forward to checking out this fall?

I need to check out the Fall Preview issue of Entertainment Weekly.  But so far I'm not really looking forward to anything. I am going to watch THE EVENT though.

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »

At least I was dressed correctly today. I had pants to my knees, and sleeveless shirt and a loose sweater.  IT drizzled on and off. But not too bad.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

today at church  we had our annual "Rally Day' a barbeque to celebrate the start of Sunday School -

this year we added a dunk tank with our new minister and our choral director  serving as the dunkees

unfortunately the weather was not very cooperative - cool and overcast - we never got the rain that the sky was threatening but the heay grey clouds put a damper on the occassion
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2010, 01:10:17 PM »

Cilla I am very impressed by the change in your kitchen - it seems so cozy and homelike now
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:30:25 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »

my cousin sent me this

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:13 PM »

Walked to my friend Sharon's to return a book to her and she joined me for a nice walk around our neighborhood.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »

Vibes to Thom

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »

It's nice to land on a page not in Cinemascope! ;D

I've been quite busy inventorying and writing abot Mr Herbert and now I'm pondering my dinner options.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Surgery and Recovery Vibes for DR Thom ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2010, 02:27:01 PM »

Post deleted.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »

SURGERY VIBES and RAPID RECOVERY VIBES FOR THOM

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2010, 02:53:52 PM »

But first with reference to elmore's post:

The late Laura Branigan and GLORIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gucn6XIb5qM

I will confess to really liking GLORIA when it came out, and it was a great song to dance to in its day.  But it really is a stupid song.

So was "Flashdance," but it was another song that was great to dance to. And they were both featured in the same guilty pleasure of a movie.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »

today at church  we had our annual "Rally Day' a barbeque to celebrate the start of Sunday School -

this year we added a dunk tank with our new minister and our choral director  serving as the dunkees

unfortunately the weather was not very cooperative - cool and overcast - we never got the rain that the sky was threatening but the heay grey clouds put a damper on the occassion
We're planning a dunk tank at our church fall festival. A lot of people are excited by the idea. I find it, well, a little creepy, but there are people I'd happily dunk.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #102 on: September 12, 2010, 02:57:52 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  Well, still being in recovery/rehab from a heart attack was a great excuse for not attending the quarterly ladies' guild meeting after church today.  I mean, who really cares whether wax or oil candles are used on the altar?
That was a big discussion in my church. Now that we have oil, no one remembers the problems that the wax candles caused. And no one misses the wax at all, least of all the altar guild.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

Vibes to DR Thom!
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »

Or....................

If you were going to be a character in a movie, what type of movie would it be, and why?

The William Powell type. And I wish I had the liver that his characters in movies had.
― Voltaire

Ben

« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »

We just had salmon, wild rice and green beans for dinner.

We may watch a few more episodes of Jeeves and Wooster later (with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry).

Ben

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2010, 03:00:49 PM »

Hip Hip Hooray Vibes to Thom!

John G.

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »

Cillaliz, the kitchen looks great. Did anyone ever answer your question about borscht?
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2010, 03:09:02 PM »

The local art museum has an amazing theatrical design collection and a current exhibit has been of the work of William and Jean Eckart. To go along with the show, some local theatrical folks did a 90-minute revue of songs from shows that the couple designed. It was fun, with great selections from "She Loves Me," "Anyone Can Whistle" and "Fade Out, Fade In." Nothing from "Li'l Abner" and three songs from "Maggie Flynn" made things a little less balanced than it should have been in my book, but a free show is a free show.

Favorite song, as performed, was "Call Me Savage" done for three voices. "A Quiet Thing," also done for three voices, didn't work nearly as well, though that may have been more the fault of the sound design than the singers and arrangement.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2010, 03:10:03 PM »

But first with reference to elmore's post:

The late Laura Branigan and GLORIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gucn6XIb5qM

I will confess to really liking GLORIA when it came out, and it was a great song to dance to in its day.  But it really is a stupid song.

And...what's your point?

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2010, 03:11:42 PM »

CD ordered.

Thanks BK for mentioning the CD before Monday, since today will probably be my last day to sign on for who knows how long. I have to be at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan tomorrow at 9:30 AM EDT. My right hip revision surgery should begin approximately two hours after arrival. As with my previous three hip replacements, my pain should be gone immediately following my operation.

I have no idea how long I will be in the hospital and subsequent rehabilitation therapy. Forgive me if I do not send or reply to emails over the next several weeks (since I do not know if I will have Wi-Fi access). I look forward to returning to this list very soon in the near future. - Cheers

~~~SUCCESSFUL HIP REVISION SURGERY VIBES FOR DR THOM!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Thom

« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »

Thank you everyone for the vibes. That's it for now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »

We just had salmon, wild rice and green beans for dinner.

We may watch a few more episodes of Jeeves and Wooster later (with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry).

Those episodes are fantastic! I went through all of the episodes on a marathon about 3 years ago.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »

Back from a fun few hours at the book fair.  For some reason, several people there came up and introduced themselves - they knew me from various things - that's always grand fun.  Then I met an autograph dealer who knew me because he's a member of the castrecl group - isn't that funny?

And I did do a little trade which netted me the book I was drooling over.  It's a curiosity but I had to have it.  Elmer Gantry was published here in 1927 - I have a first edition of it, not in primo condition (very hard to find excellent copies of this book without paying a fortune).  But it has a truly ugly perfunctory cover - green (with a red stripe down the side) with only type on it - the book title and author - that's it.  I'd never seen the UK version of the book - normally, I'm not that interested in collecting UK firsts of things that came out here first, but the cover of this was so great - really colorful art, and to top it off the condition was breathtaking.  There are only two copies on the ABE, both in pretty rough shape.  It's rather astonishing that a book published in 1927 can look brand new, and this copy does.  It took a bit of doing, but in the end we made a trade and I now own this rather pretty book of a great novel. 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  Well, still being in recovery/rehab from a heart attack was a great excuse for not attending the quarterly ladies' guild meeting after church today.  I mean, who really cares whether wax or oil candles are used on the altar?

;D   

Jane

« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »

At least I was dressed correctly today. I had pants to my knees, and sleeveless shirt and a loose sweater.  IT drizzled on and off. But not too bad.

I also wore long shorts & was comfortable.  I had a mid arm t-shirt on and a zip up sweat shirt which I eventually took off.  We took Sherlock for a long walk around the park and then we ate lunch at the new Greek restaurant which was excellent.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2010, 03:46:27 PM »

That was a big discussion in my church. Now that we have oil, no one remembers the problems that the wax candles caused. And no one misses the wax at all, least of all the altar guild.

I was wondering if oil was less messy.  I'm glad you mentioned it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

I just heard that Kevin McCarthy has died.

He was 96.  A very nice man.

:'(
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »

What a long wonderful life, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2010, 03:58:50 PM »

He hosted one of the poker videos we made for a poker club in Commerce.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up