Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME SWEET HOME  (Read 9352 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HOME SWEET HOME
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were mostly written from home sweet home, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home sweet home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: HOME SWEET HOME
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

And the word of the day is: RECTILINEAR!

FJL

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »

First post after BK!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:01:02 AM by FJL »

Ben

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:54:44 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 02:17:29 AM »

Barnum, did you see this news story about an Indian actor who has been disowned by his family for playing Gay in Dunno Y ... Na Jaane Kyun?

It's a short article but you might know the actor. There is a picture in the article as well.

Actor Disowned

Ben

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 02:19:38 AM »

Thanks for the offer Larry. If I had known I wanted it and knew you had a copy I would have asked but I never think of it until I hear a clip (they play it often on many of my BBC radio shows).

Now I have 3 Judi Dench musicals. Cabaret, The Good Companions and Night Music (thanks to a certain someone here on the site).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:12:36 AM »

Good morning, all!

I just had a shock: James Stovall, one of the cast of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, has died. He was a wonderful man, and his death saddens me. I'm grateful to Sara Jean Ford for letting me know.

I have to run down to Toyland this morning, look for some documents and get to the post office. I may stop in to the NYPL on my way back. Hopefully, it will not be an eventful day.

I've been out of town for long periods on several jobs, usually between 4-6 weeks, in such exotic locations as East Haddam, CT (Goodspeed), Troy, NY (NY State Theatre Institute), and London (June and September, 2001, recording).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:16:09 AM »

It's raining in Manhattan.

Ben

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:16:58 AM »

I've been away for months at a time for various road tours and I also spent 3 1/2 months in Europe in 1988

Ben

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »

Time was spent in Ireland, England, France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 05:17:47 AM »

And a good time was had by all during that sojurn

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »

Good Morning.  Happy rainy day in Manhattan.  Needless to say (but I shall say it anyway), it is not raining in Phoenix.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 06:09:01 AM »

TOD:

About five years ago, I took a prolonged summer vacation (mostly because I was pretty much pissed off with my place of work at the time.)  I spent a week at the Omega Institute in Rhinebeck NY, a week in NYC (seeing several shows), followed by a week at the shore.  It was an incredibly relaxinig experience.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:09:43 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »

Rectilinear? Isn't that what you see a proctologist for?
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:36 AM »

When I was home last week, I never got around to looking for my portable CD player so I never listened to SUGAR.  I am now loading both discs onto my iPod...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 06:13:15 AM »

Here's a great clip from the original "Follies" of "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow" and "Love Will See Us Through":

http://www.bluegobo.com/

Wonderful to see the original staging. To me, the number now feels even more of a tribute to Irving Berlin than ever before.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 06:14:45 AM »

Thanks for the offer Larry. If I had known I wanted it and knew you had a copy I would have asked but I never think of it until I hear a clip (they play it often on many of my BBC radio shows).

Now I have 3 Judi Dench musicals. Cabaret, The Good Companions and Night Music (thanks to a certain someone here on the site).

"Good Companions" is one of all-time faves. And her Elizabeth Trent is wonderful. The way she sings "Always Darkest Just Before the Dawn" is great. Johnny Mercer at his best. And I think Andre Previn at his best, too.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »

TOD: I spent a summer in Spain during high school trying to learn the language. If that doesn't count, since it was study program, then probably the 2 1/2 weeks I spent in Brazil during Carnaval. That was about 15 years ago and it was spectacular.
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 06:18:28 AM »

She doesn't have a great voice, but she can get more out of a song than most.

I wonder how she would be as Mrs. Lovitt or as Dolly Levi?
-- Anaïs Nin

John G.

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:17 AM »

Good morning, all!

I just had a shock: James Stovall, one of the cast of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, has died. He was a wonderful man, and his death saddens me. I'm grateful to Sara Jean Ford for letting me know.

Sorry to hear that. He was wonderful on the recording as the Preacher during "That Great Come and Get It Day."
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 06:19:48 AM »

She doesn't have a great voice, but she can get more out of a song than most.

I wonder how she would be as Mrs. Lovitt or as Dolly Levi?
Or in "Dear World."
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »

I did a "Get Artwork" in iTunes for the 1st SUGAR disc and this is what came up:

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »

I'm up, I've announced.  Facebook was very difficult - every time I typed the blurb and did the web address for Kritzerland, it wasn't current so I couldn't include the Sadismo cover - very annoying.  It shows up fine on the site and I've never had this problem before and I don't know what to do about it - I may redo it later and see if I can get the proper cover up.

KevinH

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 06:47:57 AM »

Hello from Boltbus!  I'm sorry I haven't posted since the terrific get-together/reading of the other night. 

I was online briefly Saturday morning and was going to post but I lost my connection.

I tried again yesterday and no luck!

KevinH

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 06:50:43 AM »

Bruce, thanks so much for treating the hainsies/kimlets to dinner at Joe Allen!  I had a wonderful time.

It was great meeting Vixmom, Vixter, FJL, Julie and Jose for the first time.   And I was so glad to see Ben, Anthony and elmore again!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:57:08 AM by KevinH »

KevinH

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »

On Saturday, I met two of my fellow Streisand fan(atic) friends in Garrison, NY, where some of Hello, Dolly! was filmed.  "Vandergelder's Store" is still on the windows of the building featured in the movie.

My friends had been to Schenectady and other locations where The Way We Were was filmed.  They were excited that they found the location where a library scene was filmed.  (They're hard-core fans!)

KevinH

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »

Yesterday was Broadway Flea Market day!  I look forward to it every year!  I had my picture taken with Lorna Luft in the photo booth (it costs $10-the proceeds go to BroadwayCares/Equity Fights Aids).  She was very pleasant and even asked the photographer to take another photo because she thought she had blinked.

They had some good deals on CD's.  I got Kelli O'Hara's and another one of Christmas songs sung by Broadway casts.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 07:08:28 AM »

Good morning, all! The Jewish holidays have kept me away for the last four days: hope I didn't miss too much...

TOD: year studying in Israel post-high-school

KevinH

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:25 AM »

I also went to the Autograph Table and got signatures of Phyllis Newman, Kathleen Chalfant, Mario Cantone, Julie Murney, Donna Murphy, and the aforementioned Kelli O'Hara.   She autographed two prints of a photo of my friend and I.   I met him in NYC in Feb. 2009.   We went to see South Pacific on the day he arrived.  We both thought it was brilliant and even tried to get tickets to see it a few days later, but it was sold out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up