Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HOME SWEET HOME  (Read 9239 times)

Ben

Re: HOME SWEET HOME
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 07:10:01 AM »

I kind of want to see Pee Wee Herman on Broadway but only if I can get a TDF ticket. I am not paying $67.50 to sit in the rafters of the new Stephen Sondheim Theatre to see the show. I'll pay TDF prices to sit there but not full price ($67.50 is the cheapest ticket). Same goes for Spiderman. The Foxwoods/Hilton/Ford Center for the Performing Arts is a HUGE barn and sitting in the last row in a theatre filled with girders and spider webs and other sight blocking material is not worth $67.50.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »

Yesterday was Broadway Flea Market day!  I look forward to it every year!  I had my picture taken with Lorna Luft in the photo booth (it costs $10-the proceeds go to BroadwayCares/Equity Fights Aids).  She was very pleasant and even asked the photographer to take another photo because she thought she had blinked.

They had some good deals on CD's.  I got Kelli O'Hara's and another one of Christmas songs sung by Broadway casts.

Sounds great. Is that the new Carols for a Cure? I have the entire series. Looking forward to the new volume.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Laura

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 07:31:32 AM »

TOD: The longest period I was ever away from home was when I spent three weeks with my MIL in Chicago helping her to pare down her belongings so she could move to The Home.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »

Good morning, all! The Jewish holidays have kept me away for the last four days: hope I didn't miss too much...

TOD: year studying in Israel post-high-school

You don't have wireless in your Sukkah?  Eee-gads!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! I'm having a bagel before I tear apart my office for the lost manuscript. I believe The Lost Chord was found . It was never in this office.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »

Lovely photos from the signing-gathering yesterday.....I like the one of MR BK at the glass case.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »

TOD:

Probably the 11 days I spent in Ireland for a theatre festival in 1989.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 08:13:19 AM »

I purchased 8 movies at BLockbuster this morning.....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:23 AM »

Good morning... had my first SB nightmare.  Gotta go and prevent that from becoming reality.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 08:20:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: RECTILINEAR!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  ONE

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »

Good morning... had my first SB nightmare.  Gotta go and prevent that from becoming reality.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Our entire household slept late this morning - I was the first one up at 9:45.  It's going to be a blustery, rainy day here in SW Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And, as DR Ben has already stated, it is raining in New York City.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:48 AM »

DR Matthew - I usually have an "SB nightmare" whenever someone places a copy of the title song in front of me at an audition.  Alas, that particular nightmare has never turned into a good dream for either the singer or myself.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »

DR KevinH - It sounds like you had a very full weekend in NYC and environs. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to the next time.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »

I got another couple hours sleep, so I actually slept eight hours.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well...

For most of my 20s and early 30s, I was basically "on the road", or at least "away from home".

I think the longest (continuous) tour I was on was Anything Goes: 3 months.  The second national company of Mamma Mia! provided me with various weeks here and there for about three years.

I've had multi-month gigs in Norfolk, VA; Ft. Myers, FL; Nappannee, IN; Chicago, IL; Evansville/New Harmony, IN; Charleston, SC; Williamstown, MA; and, of course, Los Angeles, CA, for What If?! :)

And then there was the four-five year period when I was working in both Richmond, VA and Washington, DC, and I was living part-time in both cities.  Two residences and two P.O. Boxes. One of these days, I'm going to have to sit down, go through my records and programs and figure out exactly how I managed that.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:10:41 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:24 AM »

Oh!!!

And then there were those three glorious weeks in Australia (Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney) "courtesy" of Universal Studios Japan.  Aaaahhhhh!!!! :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 09:09:06 AM »

DR Matthew - I usually have an "SB nightmare" whenever someone places a copy of the title song in front of me at an audition.  Alas, that particular nightmare has never turned into a good dream for either the singer or myself.

LOL - you just have to read ahead with those 2's and 3's groupings.  It helps if the singer knows the song well also.  And at an audition there is a 50/50 chance.  Kinda like a JRB song also!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:41 AM »

Barnum, did you see this news story about an Indian actor who has been disowned by his family for playing Gay in Dunno Y ... Na Jaane Kyun?

It's a short article but you might know the actor. There is a picture in the article as well.

Actor Disowned

The film I have heard about (although, despite what the reporter reports, it is not the first Bollywood film to deal seriously with a gay male subject line). This actor I had heard of only in conjunction with this movie. He is a model turned actor and I think this is his second film.

One wonders if this is a true situation (which would be very sad) or the brain child of the publicity department.

And thank you for posting  it, I had almost forgotten that it would be releasing soon.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:16:14 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »

LOL - you just have to read ahead with those 2's and 3's groupings.  It helps if the singer knows the song well also.  And at an audition there is a 50/50 chance.  Kinda like a JRB song also!

Well, 50% of the singers don't even realize it's in 5/8.  The other 50% know that it's in 5/8, but don't sing it in 5/8.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »

Jennifer the only returning show, so far, that has met our high expectations was MEDIUM.  BIG BANG comes in second.  THE CLOSER, as usual, went out with such a terrific show it made us more aware of what we missed.  I'm still holding out hope for THE GOOD WIFE.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »

TOD:

Hmmmm.  Well, "away from home", in my Navy career, is sort of a misnomer.  My parents sure thought of me as "away from home", but the only times I actually felt "away from home" were my years on the two aircraft carriers.

To that end, I'll say I considered our homeports as "home".  The cruises we took in the Western Pacific (WestPacs) were "away from home" experiences.

The longest was my first:  I was on USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), and my first WestPac cruise was 7 1/2 months.  It was sheer torture.  We hit some terrific ports along the way and back again....Hong Kong, Singapore, Perth in Western Australia and, ultimately, Pearl Harbor (where I disembarked on leave and let the ship sail back to Alameda CA without me.  I got myself a nice hotel room in Waikiki and embraced the trade winds (so to speak).

My mom would say that my longest "away from home" period was my 5-year tour in Italy, 1987-1992.  Of course, I've been "away from home" since my retirement in December 1993 -- I've been here in Oakland, but it's "home away from home" and I've been here nearly 17 years (it will be 17 on Dec. 31, 2010).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:31 AM »

I am listening to the reconstructed Oboe Concerti of Bach.  Aaaaaaahhhhhh. . .
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »

TOD - While this doesn't come close to some others' experiences, for homebodies like our family it was a biggie.  In the summer of 1996, when DS Rob was almost 11, we took a three and a half week driving vacation to the west coast and back.  We made a big loop, taking the northern route out and a more southerly route back.  On the way out we drove across South Dakota and northern Wyoming, down through Utah to Las Vegas and on to LA.  On the way back, we stopped in Phoenix, picked up my mother and came home through New Mexico, the Texas panhandle, Oklahoma, and Missouri.  Highlights of the trip included:

Badlands NP/Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore
Devil's Tower
Yellowstone NP
Grand Teton NP
Las Vegas
LA - Disneyland and Universal Studios
Painted Desert/Petrified Forest NP
Santa Fe

We saw many wonderful sights on this "See the USA" tour.  Three years later we did "See the USA 2," a slightly shorter trip east and, in 2001, we took our "Colorado, Rocky Mountain High" vacation, which was just over 2 weeks.  These driving vacations are among our most cherished family memories
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »

Helper and CDs have arrived and there is a whole lotta packaging goin' on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:30 AM »

Here's a question for our experts: My singer was asking if we should do Getting Married Today in her act - I'm not keen on it, really.  But - has anyone done this song doing BOTH parts of it themselves, i.e. the fast part AND the "Today is for Amy - Bless This House" part?  That idea came to me yesterday and I think it could be very funny.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »

I found the document and copied it, I then sent a priority mail envelope from the 68th Street post office, and then I had to run an errand for Zak Stains before I dropped off some musc for the recording to him. After that, I stopped in Westsider Books and purchased two used vocal scores. I stepped out into a downpour, caught a taxi, and I am home. Hopefully, I am not going out again today!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:19:06 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »

Here's a question for our experts: My singer was asking if we should do Getting Married Today in her act - I'm not keen on it, really.  But - has anyone done this song doing BOTH parts of it themselves, i.e. the fast part AND the "Today is for Amy - Bless This House" part?  That idea came to me yesterday and I think it could be very funny.

bk - I've seen that done in a cabaret a few times. And wasn't it essentially done that way in Putting It Together - at least the Julie Andrews version.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »

bk - I've seen that done in a cabaret a few times. And wasn't it essentially done that way in Putting It Together - at least the Julie Andrews version.

That's why I'm asking - if it's been done that way a lot I REALLY don't want her to do it.  I don't have Putting it Together on CD - does anyone and can you check?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up