Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 10/10/10  (Read 12765 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
10/10/10
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:50:53 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a 10 on 10/10/10, and now it is time for you to post until the 10 cows come home on 10/10/10.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: 10/10/10
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:51:32 PM »

And the word of the day is: ROBORANT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 11:53:40 PM »

And now, as promised, the new Kritzerland limited edition.  You know the drill - 19.98 paid directly via paypal.com using the Kritzerland paypal address of kritzerland at adelphia dot net.  This is an absolutely wonderful score and I recommend it highly.

“OUT OF THE SKY COMES THE SCREEN’S MOST INCREDIBLE SPECTACLE OF MEN AND WAR”

Kritzerland is proud to present a limited edition soundtrack release:

A Bridge Too Far
Music Composed and Conducted by John Addison

A Bridge Too Far, Richard Attenborough’s 1977 epic $22 million dollar film adapted from the 1974 book by Cornelius Ryan, tells the story of Operation Market Garden, the failed Allied attempt to break through German lines and take several bridges at a time when the Germans were on the retreat.  With a literate script by William Goldman (Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, All The President’s Men, Marathon Man, The Princess Bride, Magic), camerawork by Geoffrey Unsworth, and an amazing cast of stars, including Dirk Bogarde, James Caan, Laurence Olivier, Ryan O’Neal, Robert Redford, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Edward Fox, Anthony Hopkins, Gene Hackman, Hardy Kruger, Maximilian Schell, and Liv Ullman, A Bridge Too Far was and is a compelling and exciting film that holds up beautifully after all these years. 

For such a huge and impressive production, A Bridge Too Far received no Academy Award nominations whatsoever (it was the year of Annie Hall), but did receive several BAFTA nominations including Best Film and Best Director – it took home several wins – co-star Edward Fox, cameraman Geoffrey Unsworth, Best Sound, and one for the film’s musical score by John Addison.

By the time of A Bridge Too Far, John Addison had written several classic film scores (Tom Jones, The Loved One, Sleuth, Torn Curtain, The Charge of the Light Brigade, Start the Revolution Without Me, The Seven-Percent Solution), and had been nominated twice for Academy Awards, winning for Tom Jones.   When Addison found out that Richard Attenborough was going to make A Bridge Too Far, he called Attenborough and said he desperately wanted to do the music for the film, as he had a very personal connection to it – as a young soldier he’d served with the XXX Corps, the tank division that was at the heart of Operation Market Garden. And Addison delivered the goods, composing one of his greatest scores, with a rousing, tuneful march at its center, stirring action music, and some stunning dramatic cues.

Richard Attenborough said this about Addison and his score:  “I shall never forget the occasion when, at Joe Levine’s invitation, he saw the actual film.  At the end he was obviously greatly moved. ‘One works because one must,’ he said, ‘but sometimes the work is what you want with all your being and this, for me, is one of those occasions.  If I can’t write something wonderful for this film, then I should give up.’  When Joe Levine and I sat in the small music room of John’s Los Angeles home and listened to him playing the score on his piano for the first time, we were both on the verge of tears.  He had, indeed, written some truly wonderful music.”

A Bridge Too Far was originally released on a United Artists LP.  In 1999, Ryko issued it on CD, which subsequently went out of print – it has been out of print for years now and is a much-requested title, which is why we decided to reissue it.  The original LP masters were used for the CD, and it’s been completely remastered it for this CD release. 

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.  The price is $19.98 plus shipping. 

CD will ship by the third week of November – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to five weeks earlier (we’ve been averaging four weeks early).   To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:54:25 PM »

I hope everyone reads the notes - they're very interesting today.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »

The CD has been ordered!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 04:30:35 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 05:42:22 AM »

Good morning, Ben!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:42:42 AM »

How was the event you went to the other night?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »

bk, I hope you feel better. Seems like there's a lot of seasonal gunk going around.

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »

Belated congrats to Druxy on the screenwriting gig!!

Edisaurus

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:49:35 AM »

Spoo...Ben went away.

I like John Addison's score for START THE REVOLUTION WITHOUT ME, a very silly and fun romp.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »

Since it's Thanksgiving here tomorrow there was an article (first one on yahoo.ca) about a new way to cook a perfect turkey. IT was something I've never heard of before.  Roasting it in a paper bag.

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:22 AM »

Congrats to DR Cillaliz on your new family member!

Jennifer

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »

I think I will go take a nice hot shower now!

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 05:54:58 AM »

I watched the first two episodes of THE EVENT last night (I've been recording it on Saturdays). I can't decide if I like this show or not. It is complicated. You never really know what is happening. There are a lot of characters. And it's slightly confusing.  The interesting part is that you don't really know what is happening, which seems rare on tv.  I think I will watch last night's episode and then decide if I will keep watching it.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 05:55:25 AM »

Sort of cool that it is 10/10/10.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »

Speaking of pumpkin pie, I noticed (for Thanksgiving) that they had a ton of them at Costco.

I don't even know that I've really even tasted pumpkin pie. I don't think it's that popular here. Do a lot of you like it?

Laura

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »

Mmmmm. I love pumpkin pie!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 06:02:05 AM »

BK, I love The Overdone Medley idea.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Edisaurus

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 06:04:16 AM »

Me, too!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 06:13:47 AM »

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........I have not received my replacement card, so I cannot order the CD today.  Hopefully it will come Tuesday or Wednesday......and the CD will not sell out.

SADISMO arrived at my house yesterday and I will listen to it today!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:15:21 AM »

Yes most interesting notes.

10/10/10

Ten is the number of earthly completeness.....with three being the number of heavenly or spiritual completeness, so a day with THREE TENS is a nice combination of both - a great day to deal with beginnings AND endings....

Start new projects - discard old ones - and just enjoy the day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »

Such great photos.

Shirley Knight was of course married for ten years to [Eu]Gene Persson, teen star and Broadway producer.....who was featured in THE PARTY CRASHERS with Miss Frances Farmer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 06:17:52 AM »

All of the pictures yesterday were just great!

Little Ricky is SOME cat!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »

DR MBARNUM informs me that THE HYPNOTIC EYE and THE DISEMBODIED are now up for presale at the WB Archive.....of course....here I am with no Master Card.....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 06:49:15 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And wasn't I just here?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept until 8:30 and decided to do laundry. I've had some coffee and sme breakfast courtesy of MacDonalds and it's time to put the laundry in the dryers.

I will then mop the bathroom and kitchen, maybe write a bit of a chart for Ron Raines, finish the laundry, and look over some of the LADY OF THE SLIPPER and BABES IN TOYLAND writing. Then, I'm watching a lot of DVDs, beginning with BONES season 5.

Little Ricky is adorable! Between his photo and all of the ones DR Laura posts, I really want to get a kitten, but I think its climbing all over my small space wold drive me battier than I am already, and - since i've always lived in caash flow hell - i've always worried about money for vet and food. Since none of us on the Herbert project have any idea how much time we've got with it, I worry a lot. Still, I must say, I'd like a kitten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for all, for any occasion today! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 06:52:28 AM »

bk - Regarding your "Overdone Medley", as a friend of mine who tried a similar thing found out, the joke only works if almost everyone in the audience at the time has actually heard the songs over and over and over and over again.  Otherwise, it's just not a "joke", to them at least.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 06:54:20 AM »

DR Jennifer - Pumpkin Pie! YES!! -Were they giving out samples at CostCo so that you could try it, taste it?  -Have you ever had Pumpkin Bread? or, since they seem to be everywhere now, a Pumpkin Whoopie Pie?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 07:13:46 AM »

Nice pictures yesterday, DR JOSE.....looks like you and MonKee had fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up