Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WEHT  (Read 12099 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: WEHT
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:08 AM »

My first "awareness" of Sondheim, Stephen Sondheim came in the mid- to late-60s with "A Funny Thing Happened...." the movie musical.   I knew his name, but not his music.

I had my first taste of his composing credits with "Follies"...and then immersed myself repeatedly in "A Little Night Music."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:00:22 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »

TOD - My first awareness of a Sondheim lyric was when I was about 10 or 11 and my parents and my older sister went to see GYPSY when it toured Detroit (maybe pre-Broadway?).  They all laughed and laughed about "If you wanna bump it, bump it with a trumpet."  I didn't see the show myself until the movie, so that's probably my first Sondheim show.  He was really getting hot when I was in college and I remember the touring COMPANY that came through Ann Arbor with Tandy Cronyn in the cast.  First SS show in NYC was A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC in 1974 when I was there for ALA.

Favorite songs:

Not While I'm Around
Broadway Baby
Move On
Losing My Mind
Everybody Says Don't
There Won't Be Trumpets
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »

I am just getting used to VISTA.

Well, it works in the same way as does American Express and MasterCard.

I understand that....oh, wait....ummm.....never mind.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »

Ron, if you think AmEx works the same way as MC or Vis(t)a, I have some shopping I'd like you to do for me.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »

TOD:

I don't know from Stephen Sondheim except what I have read here on HHW.

If you someday make Chitragupta the TOD, then I will have many answers to it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »

Ron, if you think AmEx works the same way as MC or Vis(t)a, I have some shopping I'd like you to do for me.  :)

A card is a card is a card.  Just having a bit of fun, dontchaknow!

Nice buzz kill, tho...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:22:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:49 AM »

TOD:

He's perfect for you, Mike.  Old, rich and. . .well, old and rich should be enough.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »

A card is a card is a card.  Only the numbers are different.  In terms of "usage", that is.

Oh...and way to buzz kill a perfectly pleasant bit of fun I was having.

Well, I beg to differ.  If you charge 30K on a MC or Vis(t)a, you can make a minimum payment.  On AmEx, you're in for the whole megillah.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

TOD:

He's perfect for you, Mike.  Old, rich and. . .well, old and rich should be enough.  ;)

I believe he could add a few colors to MBarnum's paint box!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

TOD:

I work with a Nivi Gupta....will that do?

JMK

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:33 AM »

Listened to GENGHIS KHAN this morning.  I really enjoyed it, though I must admit for some reason it made me laugh a time or two.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »

A card is a card is a card.  Only the numbers are different.  In terms of "usage", that is.

Well, I beg to differ.  If you charge 30K on a MC or Vis(t)a, you can make a minimum payment.  On AmEx, you're in for the whole megillah.

I have an AmEx card that carries no such requirement.  It works just like any other card...in USAGE, which is what I was referring to, and in payments, which is well beyond the intent of my fun.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:29:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »

Yesterday I had lunch with my Indian neighbor, Roshan.

Quite an intersting young man. He works in the IT industry (as do all of the other Indians in my building) and he is quite a fan of Bollywood (including the vintage films), so we had a very nice 2 hour conversation while eating at Star of India.

He is quite philosophical and worked on Wall Street for 1 year, but found it far too vicious. He is more intersted in doing work that will improve society and the lives of others.

In India, while going to college in Calcutta, he worked as a runway model and served as one of the directors of a film awards program, which gave him an opportunity to meet several assorted celebrities and directors.

He is only 28 years old, but man-alive he has done a lot with his life and he has such a wonderful attitude about everything. His parents did a grand job of raising him!

JMK

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »

I have an AmEx card that carries no such requirement.  It works just like any other card...in USAGE, which is what I was referring to, and in payments, which is well beyond the intent of my fun.

You have one of them newfangled AmEx cards--the "classic" card was alway s differentiated from other CC's in that you were required to pay off the monthly balance every month.  And lest it not be understood, I was joking with you in any case.

JMK

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:23 AM »

In other news, I highly recommend Kathleen Madigan's new standup special.  Some classic bits about SLC and Mormons.  Does anyone know if she is an "item" with Lewis Black?  I know they work together quite a bit, but from some of her comments on the show, it seems like perhaps they're a couple.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2011, 10:45:44 AM »

From Vixmom:
This evening I finished reading a book that I think might interest Jane  and/or  Ginny for their book discussion groups: The Ha-Ha

For a long time it has been on my list of books I want to read. I just requested it at the library.  I had trouble actually reading a book titled Ha-Ha  ;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »

DR Cilla I am very interesting in your reaction to The Lacuna.

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »

Well, after watching the Weather Channel during lunch, Richard and I have agreed that we're glad we don't have plane reservations for our trip south.  They said flights will be messed up for the rest of the week.  All I have to do is rearrange some hotel reservations if we don't get out of here tomorrow as planned.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »

Vibes of comfort to DR Sam's mother-in-law & to the neighbor who took the sweet little girl to see Congresswoman Giffords.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »

Jane

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 10:54:07 AM »

Thicker blood vibes (?!) for DRs Ginny and Ben. (That sentiment just sounds odd, but it's meant in a spirit that exceeds its clumsy phrasing.)

:D  and DITTO!!!

Jane

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »

TOD:

;D ;D

JMK

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 11:08:13 AM »

Best triple feature ever department:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5725

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2011, 11:08:32 AM »

Thicker blood vibes (?!) for DRs Ginny and Ben. (That sentiment just sounds odd, but it's meant in a spirit that exceeds its clumsy phrasing.)

~~~Ditto!!~~~

(I couldn't have said it better, myself. ;))
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »

Thanks for the vibes, DRs Jane and George!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »

The thing is that it is blowing cold air even when you have the heat setting on.

Danise, do you think that there could there be a seperate reset button?  I have the in-the-wall Cadet-style heaters and one was also just blowing cold air.  I just had to take the grill off the front and there was the reset button.  I pushed it and instantly, the heater worked.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »

I've done six pages and will now go to have lunch with David Wechter - way out in Westlake Village.  I'll be back by two, then do some banking, hopefully pick up some packages, and do another two or three pages.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »

Best triple feature ever department:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5725
I'm afraid it's too much of a Monday to wrap my head around that one.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »

~~~Ditto!!~~~

(I couldn't have said it better, myself. ;))
The "ditto" part? I agree.  ;D
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »

I love Stephen Sondheim musicals. But I can't remember which is the first that i saw.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up