Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ANOTHER HUNDRED SHOWTUNES  (Read 14201 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ANOTHER HUNDRED SHOWTUNES
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:08:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were short and sweet and filled with showtunes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently singing another hundred showtunes and will be home soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ANOTHER HUNDRED SHOWTUNES
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:09:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: CREOLIZE!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:14 AM »

Morning all.

That is all.

Ben

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:35 AM »

I'm off to my PCP this afternoon so I'm in the office early.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:35:45 AM »

And that, my friends, is that.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:55:43 AM »

TOD: One tribute I would love to see is of the music of Hugh Martin, in particular a few songs from "Make a Wish" as well as "Best Foot Forward" (which I originally typed as "Best Food") and "Look, Ma, I'm Dancing." As much as I have enjoyed the solo albums from Rebecca Luker to Jason Graae, I prefer the multiple artist albums with the likes of Karen Morrow, Debbie Gravitte, Harry Groener and more, each exploring a different dimension of the author's voice.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:59 AM »

Wonderful news about the show.....with as many stars in the audience as on the stage!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

John G.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »

So, are there any recordings of these shows? It would be wonderful to hear Alet on "Not a Day Goes By."
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 05:13:22 AM »

Off to work oh well
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 05:26:40 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm scheduled to disembark in two hours. :-)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »

In the meantime...

It was a very good cruise, and I had a very good time. -Although, I spent the last day and a half at sea with a very queasy head and stomach due to some very rough water and strong winds. Of course, that made my final day of playing, coaching and performing a true test of mind over matter, as well as a test of my overall balance while I somehow managed to play as the ship - and the piano! - rocked back and forth, and sometimes to and fro.

Right now, I'm just waiting up in the Winter Garden - a.k.a. my practice room - until the Orange tags are scheduled to disembark.

In the meantime, time to catch up on things as much as AT&T's intermittent network will allow.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »

Good morning, all! There's something afoot this morning: I couldn't log on to today's posts for over five minutes. I went to bed last night at 11 and  watched the rerun of the service in Tucson on CNN. I wanted to hear the president's speech, and I thought it was quite moving.

Today, I have a meeting at the McGlinnventory at 11 am, so I will head down to 23rd Street around 10:15 or so. I have no idea how long this meetign will go on, given the executor's predilection to talk. I hope it is profitable and leads to good things. I'll get a chance to see the office's new Mac - we had to buy one since McGlinn's crashed and burned two weeks ago - and discover what Finale scores are on it. I know we have to print out all of Kern's ROBERTA, and I'm hoping we find a few Herbert scores, perhaps a chunk or more of SWEET ADELINE. McGlinn had a predilection for copying scores for which he had no permissions, but that doesn't mean, now that things are happening, that we cannot take advantage of the work.

BK, good news about the show! I guess the moaning about the nine dinner cancellations meant nothing in the scheme of the ubniverse?

Speaking of Hugh Martin, DR JohnG, I'm listening as I type this to the film soundtrack of BEST FOOT FORWARD.

Welcome back, DR Jose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 06:09:57 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a little weird when you've prepared to be away and end up staying home - no newspapers, no meals planned, few phone calls.  Fortunately we didn't stop the mail because Rob is here.  I think Richard and I will go out to lunch today, unless the snowflakes I see out my window get themselves organized into something significant.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 06:10:17 AM »

Welcome home, DR Jose!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 06:19:14 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's a little weird when you've prepared to be away and end up staying home - no newspapers, no meals planned, few phone calls.  Fortunately we didn't stop the mail because Rob is here.  I think Richard and I will go out to lunch today, unless the snowflakes I see out my window get themselves organized into something significant.

DR Ginny, sometimes having a vacation at home can be wonderful. It's my favorite. How's traffic? You and Richard could drive to Yellow Springs or Lebanon for lunch and looking at piles of snow.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »

DR Elmore - traffic seems to be moving fine on Central Avenue.  Yes, I do like at-home vacations, but I'm still a little bummed about not waking up in Charleston, SC, this morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »

DR Elmore - traffic seems to be moving fine on Central Avenue.  Yes, I do like at-home vacations, but I'm still a little bummed about not waking up in Charleston, SC, this morning.

I understand, but after Canton, OH, what joys can Charleston provide?

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »

Ah, yes, Canton...

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: CREOLIZE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THEY'LL BE SOME CHANGES MADE

Laura

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »

Joshie cuddled up with me last night, so I guess I am forgiven. For now.

FJL

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:49:16 AM »

I guess the tone of last night's memorial and thus presidential speech was a bit controversial, as it had the pundits talking this morning.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »

Welcome back, DR Jose!

Be careful until you get your land legs back!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »

I was very moved by the memorial last night, especially the President's speech.  That would be exactly the kind of send-off I would consider myself lucky to get.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 08:05:25 AM »

I also watched THE GOOD EARTH on TCM afte the memorial.  I always forget how great a film it is.  Louise Rainer is incredible throughout.  Her chat with Robert Osbourne was also fascinating to watch--I wish it was longer than just a half hour.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:05 AM »

TOD:

One album I'd like to see is "The Songs of Roger Edens"...songs he wrote for which he gets little credit/name recognition but which are seared on our memories.

Another would be "Heartbreak" featuring songs in which characters reveal their loves/their anguish/their disappointments in rapturous melodies.

A third would be "Breakout Standards"...songs from great/good/decent/failed shows that refused to die because they're so great.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

Congrats to BK and his cast on a successful evening of entertainment.  I also wish that these shows were being recorded.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »

TOD:

BK, would love to see you do a Frank Stallone CD

As for a concept CD...another Jeepers Creepers would be fun

Also, a CD featuring some of our singing HHWers like DR Singdaw, DR Jason, and DR Cason.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »

I understand, but after Canton, OH, what joys can Charleston provide?

Shrimp 'n' grits!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »

TOD:

How about a recording of Kurt Weill songs?
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up