Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A PIECE OF MAHLER'S  (Read 12772 times)

FJL

Re: A PIECE OF MAHLER'S
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:26 AM »

And one for Mahler

FJL

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »

It had to be said.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 07:19:31 AM »

BK,

Why is it "fashionable these days to put down the output of Neil Simon"?

WHO thinks it's "fashionable"?

Certainly not the millions of people who enjoy his plays every year.

???
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 07:20:59 AM »

TOD:

Nothing new to watch.

I guess I'll pull something out of my library.

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2011, 07:29:05 AM »

I was Sarah in a community theatre production of COMPANY that was so inept the guy playing my husband (Harry) thought "a piece of Mahler's" was candy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:32 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:45 AM »

Test vibes for Ben.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »

Been listening to Mahler's 9th this week. It helps make the class readings easier.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2011, 07:47:45 AM »

I see that author Max Wilk has died. I knew him slightly when I worked at Drama Book Shop. His son David was a good guy; it's my memory that David owned a book distribution service called Book Dynamics. I ordered from them a lot.
I enjoyed his book on the creation of "Oklahoma!"
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »

TOD:

DVD -- A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop, maybe one of the Alice Faye or Betty Grable movies that Costco has for $5 like "The Dolly Sisters."

CD: Mahler (what else?), some bootlegs, Gone with the Wind (if it comes in the mail)

Car CD: Bonhoeffer Disc 8 of 18

MP3: "Ceremony" by Leslie Marman Silko

Not enough music and not enough entertainment there.
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 07:54:28 AM »

I was Sarah in a community theatre production of COMPANY that was so inept the guy playing my husband (Harry) thought "a piece of Mahler's" was candy.

Who was that? My only memory of that production is the Rhoda Morgenstern accent of Pat Frost: totally wrong for the show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »

Who was that? My only memory of that production is the Rhoda Morgenstern accent of Pat Frost: totally wrong for the show.

Some guy from Dayton whose name I've blocked from my memory.  He and I did not get along, which provided a great subtext for our characters.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:12:10 AM »

Here is Charlie Sheen's reaction to the announcement that his show has been canceled for the rest of the season:

"What does this say about Haim Levine [Chuck Lorre] after he tried to use his words to judge and attempt to degrade me. I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows ... I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth. I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists. I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong.

"Remember these are my people ... not yours...we will continue on together..."

Talk about throwing fuel on a fire...

:(

Ben

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »

The weather in Cleveland is bad enough that the Foundation Center closed the Cleveland office!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »

Here is Charlie Sheen's reaction to the announcement that his show has been canceled for the rest of the season:

"What does this say about Haim Levine [Chuck Lorre] after he tried to use his words to judge and attempt to degrade me. I gracefully ignored this folly for 177 shows ... I fire back once and this contaminated little maggot can't handle my power and can't handle the truth. I wish him nothing but pain in his silly travels especially if they wind up in my octagon. Clearly I have defeated this earthworm with my words -- imagine what I would have done with my fire breathing fists. I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong.

"Remember these are my people ... not yours...we will continue on together..."

Talk about throwing fuel on a fire...

:(

Why can't I be a wealthy bitch instead of a poor one?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »

Time to head for the NYPL. First stop, the post office.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »

DR JMK is still around - he seems to be taking a break from HHW for awhile for no precise reason.

His last post was sixteen days ago. Who offended him?

Maybe he's fasting...

Twitter just told me that our county is now on a Level 1 snow emergency...

Our country is in a mess. Period.

All that slush and salted roadways....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »

The weather in Cleveland is bad enough that the Foundation Center closed the Cleveland office!

And author Jennifer Chiaverini's appearance has been canceled because the airport is closed.  Hope she makes it to Cincinnati for tomorrow!

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 08:55:02 AM »

Off to get my hair cut and styled - bye for now!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »

Go for a beehive, DR Ginny!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 09:44:47 AM »

There was supposed to be a snowstorm today. First they said 15cm. Then 10-15cm. Then 10cms. Then 5-10cm. Then this morning 5cm. Then maybe now only 1cm?

I sure hope it's the latter. But how bizarre that all this changed since yesterday.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

Took a hot shower this morning and now my shoulder hurts more. Does that even make sense?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »

I got up at 8:45 and have answered all e-mails.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »

Every time a Simon revival happens or there is discussion of him on various boards, he is always dissed these days as old-fashioned and not funny.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »

However, if his shows aren't getting their laughs, simply blame the casting or the director - his kind of comedy requires people who know how to deliver it and how to stage it.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYPNAGOGIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TWO SLEEPY PEOPLE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm currently reading and posting from the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center... Since the Internet and WiFi seems to work here... Unlike at my apartment for the past 36+ hours...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:47 AM »

So...

I called Time-Warner the other night when I get home because I noticed that our cable and internet are not working...

"We have no current reports of a service outage in your area right now. If this not an emergency, please call back in the morning during regular business hours."

So... I call back in the morning...

"We still have no reports of a service outage in your area, however, it does appear that an amp may have blown. I will send a service ticket into the local office to investigate."

So... I call back again this morning...

"We still have no other reports of a service outage in your area... However, I did just notice that there are a number of modems that are currently off-line. I will send a truck out to investigate this afternoon."

So... It appears that all the repair work that ConEd did last week messed up Time-Warner's system. Of course, now that they now that, Time-Warner can't really do anything to repair the problem until the coordinate with ConEd - which, of course, is something only they can request, not I.

So... I've been getting a lot of laundry, cleaning and organizing done. I've continued my visits to The City Bakery for the Hot Chocolate Festival, and I've actually been getting to bed at a semi-decent hour since I haven't been able to watch any TV nor surf the web on my computer at home.

Otherwise... I'm OK.  -And you? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

And speaking of Mahler, I'll be attending tonight's concert by the London Symphony Orchestra led my Maestro Valery Gergiev of Mahler's Symphony No. 3.  -Many Thanks to Continental Airlines and Twitter for the tickets. :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up